Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Evolution Performance Tunes with stock baseline dyno Friday 4/1!!

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/11, 10:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006stiguy

Thanks for your opinion

I don't see you trying to do this...next time I won't share my experiences with the forum. I thought the idea is to share experiences so we all can learn and benefit!!

So thanks for your contribution
This post sucks :P
Old 4/21/11, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Read a lot on the difference between Mustang and Dynojet. Range was between 5 - 12 % !

Read a post from a tuner who had a lot of experience with both dynos - he claimed 6 - 7% and the difference increases with vehicle weight - this makes the most sense based on how the MD loads the drivetrain based on vehicle weight and how increasing weight increases drivetrain friction. Then again, comparisons can only really be done on the same dyno with the same car, so it's all really a mute point.
Old 4/21/11, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BOSS_man
Read a lot on the difference between Mustang and Dynojet. Range was between 5 - 12 % !

Read a post from a tuner who had a lot of experience with both dynos - he claimed 6 - 7% and the difference increases with vehicle weight - this makes the most sense based on how the MD loads the drivetrain based on vehicle weight and how increasing weight increases drivetrain friction. Then again, comparisons can only really be done on the same dyno with the same car, so it's all really a mute point.
Agreed thank you! the whole point is the car made 33 more hp than the baseline and it feels awesome!
Old 4/21/11, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Agreed thank you! the whole point is the car made 33 more hp than the baseline and it feels awesome!
I bet! Let me take it to the dragstrip to get a real indication of the HP.
Old 4/21/11, 11:19 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Thanks for your opinion

I don't see you trying to do this...next time I won't share my experiences with the forum. I thought the idea is to share experiences so we all can learn and benefit!!

So thanks for your contribution
I think most of us appreciate you sharing your experience modifying your Boss. You would have had a better reception if you had not set the expectations so high and started the thread after you had the results
Old 4/21/11, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I think most of us appreciate you sharing your experience modifying your Boss. You would have had a better reception if you had not set the expectations so high and started the thread after you had the results

My same feeling. STI guy, sounds like you were stuck in the middle there with the guys from Evo. Perf. asking you to stall, but I think some track performance numbers would make us all feel warm and fuzzy about the results. Congrats on being the first to have the courage to mess with it. My hat's off to ya
Old 4/21/11, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
My same feeling. STI guy, sounds like you were stuck in the middle there with the guys from Evo. Perf. asking you to stall, but I think some track performance numbers would make us all feel warm and fuzzy about the results. Congrats on being the first to have the courage to mess with it. My hat's off to ya
Thanks
Old 4/21/11, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for posting the results, sir. Definitely valuable information. I'd be interested in seeing what the tune would do by itself, sans hardware changes. Then whenever the TracKey tune becomes available, we can have something to compare it to.
Old 4/21/11, 03:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
Thanks for posting the results, sir. Definitely valuable information. I'd be interested in seeing what the tune would do by itself, sans hardware changes. Then whenever the TracKey tune becomes available, we can have something to compare it to.
Track key won't change HP , hopefully some low end torque
Old 4/22/11, 06:14 AM

Agree with you. Regardless of which type of dyno this was tested on. If this is purely a stock GT vs. a stock Boss this is the 1st evidence I've seen...and this means more to me than 'stock, except this or that'. The torque curve is quite noteworthy. From the GT's torque peak, the Boss is maintaining a higher average across the rest of the band and it's allot more consistant in comparison to the GT's. I think Ford spent some time to capture this behavior and expect cam timing played a part with it also. Making me wonder a little about how the GT would respond with a Boss's ECU. At any rate, this graph is beginning to shift my opinion a bit about using this intake on the GT, BUT, there are still differences between the 2 engines that are still missing on the GT's that would be expensive to duplicate from the Boss. All said and done, would probably be cheaper/easier to sell the GT engine and buy a Boss crate engine and ECU assy. :-)
****, that's a fat torque curve. Whoever said it was giving up power to the GT!!
Old 4/22/11, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
Track key won't change HP , hopefully some low end torque
I think that’s still to be determined. From the interview with the engineer I saw, seemed like there was an increase but he wasn't allowed to say there was. The two things we know it won't change is the max speed and reline.

Stiguy, does your tune remove the speed limiter?
Old 4/22/11, 06:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle
what are the typical gains from a standard GT with intake, o/r X, axleback and tune?

I was expecting way more HP than that to the wheels. I know everyone says they are a tuning tool, but am I the only one who was shocked to see 399rwhp?
I'm not the least bit shocked. Those numbers seem fair to me. Far too many of you were expecting this car to be a supercar and that Ford was really lying about the HP. Too many people expected this car to actually be 500 HP.

Last edited by Whammer; 4/22/11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 4/22/11, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BOSS_man

416hp - 7% = 387hp

Looks like STIGUY car is making 12+ hp over the Trackkey tune.
Old 4/22/11, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

This thread has clarified for me, the importance of managing and defining my Modification process. It is important for me to define my goals for my vehicle. With my SN95 I just started Mod-ing like crazy (mostly because there were so many areas for improvement) and I couldn't really tell which mods were providing the most benefit (if any). But still, the modding experience was fun for me and my son and provided great experience. Some of us are modding for performance increases (track or strip), others for Dyno improvements, and others just for the joy of modding. I want to track my Boss so my plan is to run the same track with instruction (and hopefully a Trackey) until I can't lower my times any more. That may take a season or 2, or 3. At that point there will be a good history of Mods and I can choose the ones that will best suit my goals. At that point I will be able to difinitively quantify improvements in the areas that matter to me
I for one, really appreciate 2006 sitguy for jumping out, taking the risk (criticism and financial) and doing the Mods he did. We all learn and benefit!. Thanks 2006 stiguy! Great info!
Old 4/22/11, 09:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
416hp - 7% = 387hp

Looks like STIGUY car is making 12+ hp over the Trackkey tune.

???? The 416 was already at the wheels. Why are you taking away another 7%?? In other words we were comparing 416 rwhp vs. 399 rwhp.
Old 4/22/11, 09:18 AM
Cobra R Member

???? The 416 was already at the wheels. Why are you taking away another 7%?? In other words we were comparing 416 rwhp vs. 399 rwhp.
I think he was using a loose estimated difference between the dynamometers used.
Old 4/22/11, 09:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bossdog
This thread has clarified for me, the importance of managing and defining my Modification process. It is important for me to define my goals for my vehicle. With my SN95 I just started Mod-ing like crazy (mostly because there were so many areas for improvement) and I couldn't really tell which mods were providing the most benefit (if any). But still, the modding experience was fun for me and my son and provided great experience. Some of us are modding for performance increases (track or strip), others for Dyno improvements, and others just for the joy of modding. I want to track my Boss so my plan is to run the same track with instruction (and hopefully a Trackey) until I can't lower my times any more. That may take a season or 2, or 3. At that point there will be a good history of Mods and I can choose the ones that will best suit my goals. At that point I will be able to difinitively quantify improvements in the areas that matter to me
I for one, really appreciate 2006 sitguy for jumping out, taking the risk (criticism and financial) and doing the Mods he did. We all learn and benefit!. Thanks 2006 stiguy! Great info!
Bossdog thank you for the kind words. In hindsight I should have waited to post up what I was planning on doing...but we all know what hindsight is, and i was very excited! Anyway I love the car and I am sure you will agree
Old 4/22/11, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's hard to wait when you are excited.
Old 4/22/11, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor

We took a Stock 2012 Boss 302 Mustang and did a couple baseline pulls on the dyno and it made 367RWHP and 328RWTQ.

On a side note: We have a Mustang 1100-SE Loaded Dyno, which typically reads 5-7% less then a Dyno Jet. The only thing that matters are the gains over the baseline.

We then Installed a Magnaflow Off Road X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust System, and a JLT Plastic Cold Air Intake to help the car breathe a little better.

No Mustang would be complete without loading one of our custom tunes for the 2012 Boss 302 Mustang, which was developed on our In-House Dyno and has a lot of changes made to the Ti-VCT to make up for the low end torque loss the Boss has because of the Intake Manifold.

The end result was a Peak Gain of 33RWHP and 32RWTQ.

Evolution Performance, Inc. Custom Tuned SCT X3’s and Cold Air Intake/SCT X3 Packages are available for the 2012 Boss 302 Mustang!

Evolution Performance, Inc. Custom Tuned SCT X3 and TSX's for the 2012 BOSS 302 Mustang
http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index...&cPath=267_282

Evolution Performance, Inc. Combo Power Packages for the 2012 BOSS 302 Mustang (Evolution Performance, Inc. Custom Tuned SCT X3 and your Choice of Air Intake)
http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index...&cPath=267_321

Last edited by Evolution Performance; 4/22/11 at 06:20 PM.
Old 4/22/11, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

That's a nice fat torque curve. Are you able to program the Red key and keep the stock tune?

Quick Reply: Evolution Performance Tunes with stock baseline dyno Friday 4/1!!