Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Dealer wants me to believe there is nothing wrong with my boss...

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/11, 02:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer wants me to believe there is nothing wrong with my boss...

So i took my boss into the dealer to have the whining rear end looked at along with the crunch on 1-2 and 203 when the car is cold and the clutch pedal issue where it stuck to the floor. they actually told me the whine in the rear end is normal because the car is so low. they also claim to not notice any crunch in shifting, which is a miracle considering it does it each time i drive when its cold. They also wont address the clutch pedal sticking at all since they cant replicate the issue. i guess it has to stick enough to burn the clutch out and get towed in before they will do anything. i'm so mad right now. I'm going to pick the car up in a bit and if they try to charge me for looking at the car things will get ugly.
Old 6/21/11, 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bummer. Try a different dealership. They aren't all the same.

I just put a new water pump on my dad's 2000 PowerStroke. Dealer said they used dye to find a crack in the front cover. Quoted him $3000+ We put a new pump on and you could see where it had been pouring out the old one's weep hole. Front cover was fine... Nice stealership.
Old 6/21/11, 02:31 PM
Cobra Member

any of you with torsen diffs having a loud whine from the rear that gets higher pitched as the car accelerates? i had the back seats down this weekend and couldnt believe how loud it was. you can hear the whine with the seats up too.
Old 6/21/11, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

No whine on mine. 1100 miles.
Old 6/21/11, 03:00 PM
V6 Member

dealer

I'm not one to give advice without being asked for it, but having been a dealership Tech for 26 years,I can tell you your service writer and most likely the tech want your car fixed also, with the customer surveys nowadays thier jobs depend on you being happy, don't get yourself all worked up about it,your car has a long way to go on the warrenty and if thier is something wrong it is going to get worse or break, don't have any experiance with the diff's in the boss,but with looking at the design and how it operates, I would think some whine could very well be normal, if they did a repair to your car and it did not fix it, you would be very upset,so if they cannot duplicate it they are not going to guess, try having patience and work with them to resolve your issues, not against them, you will get more done that way, suggest the service writer goes for a ride with you or the shop forman, so that you can duplicate the issues for them. just some advice that you can take or leave,
Good luck
Old 6/21/11, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Waiting for something to break seems like a bad plan. I concur on riding with the tech or manager.
Old 6/21/11, 03:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
You have to take them for a drive.

Hopefully you can replicate at least one of the issues so they can get started with repairs.
Hope things work out for you.
Old 6/21/11, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by billyboss
I'm not one to give advice without being asked for it, but having been a dealership Tech for 26 years,I can tell you your service writer and most likely the tech want your car fixed also, with the customer surveys nowadays thier jobs depend on you being happy, don't get yourself all worked up about it,your car has a long way to go on the warrenty and if thier is something wrong it is going to get worse or break, don't have any experiance with the diff's in the boss,but with looking at the design and how it operates, I would think some whine could very well be normal, if they did a repair to your car and it did not fix it, you would be very upset,so if they cannot duplicate it they are not going to guess, try having patience and work with them to resolve your issues, not against them, you will get more done that way, suggest the service writer goes for a ride with you or the shop forman, so that you can duplicate the issues for them. just some advice that you can take or leave,
Good luck

I agree with billyboss. I have been in the business for 20 years and I hear the whine and popping noises too. I am not worried about them at all. I feel it is normal given the HD components being used. Not sure how much experience you have with harder suspension bushings, beefed up suspension components, and/or heavier duty style differentials. There is always a trade off between comfort/noise/harshness in order to gain performance. The clutch pedal staying depressed is obviously an issue, but without them being able to duplicate it, I would recommend you wait till it gets worse or pay close attention as to when and how it does it so they can have a better chance of duplicating the problem. Good luck
Old 6/21/11, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine whines and it's real noticable at 75 mph in 6th gear. I need to put it on a lift and check the rear diff fluid level.
Old 6/21/11, 06:43 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Old 6/21/11, 07:27 PM
Cobra Member

i went back to the shop and had the service manager ride with me. he heard the whine in the read and it seems to be coming from the right rear tire area. i have an appointment to take it back in thurs. the car was warm and had been in the sun all day in the 100-degree heat so no crunch on shifting. ill live with the crunch for now if i need to. the big issues for me were the whine, 0001 did not do that and it was a torsen car too, and the clutch pedal sticking. that is annoying as hell and ruins the fun at the track.
Old 6/21/11, 07:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
Mine whines and it's real noticable at 75 mph in 6th gear. I need to put it on a lift and check the rear diff fluid level.
very interesting, mine is 333 so they may well have been built the same day, they are even the same color.
Old 6/21/11, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MJockey
Just keep it under 75mph, problem solved.
Old 6/21/11, 07:41 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaneM
i went back to the shop and had the service manager ride with me. he heard the whine in the read and it seems to be coming from the right rear tire area. i have an appointment to take it back in thurs. the car was warm and had been in the sun all day in the 100-degree heat so no crunch on shifting. ill live with the crunch for now if i need to. the big issues for me were the whine, 0001 did not do that and it was a torsen car too, and the clutch pedal sticking. that is annoying as hell and ruins the fun at the track.
If its coming from one side like that, maybe its a wheel bearing.

When I've had issues that were cold only problems in the past, I take the car down in the evening and leave it overnight and come back and make them drive it first thing in the morning.
Old 6/22/11, 09:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Some guys in the 2010+ section have mentioned that whine, and always with the backseat down. From what I recall, it's from wind noise, not gear noise.

This was on regular GTs, without the Torsen. If the noise completely goes away with the seats up, and is really noticeable with the seats down, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Perhaps test drive a GT and put the rear seats down if it still concerns you.
Old 6/22/11, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Berol
Some guys in the 2010+ section have mentioned that whine, and always with the backseat down. From what I recall, it's from wind noise, not gear noise.

This was on regular GTs, without the Torsen. If the noise completely goes away with the seats up, and is really noticeable with the seats down, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Perhaps test drive a GT and put the rear seats down if it still concerns you.

Well i traded in a 10 Gt on the first Boss i had that didn't have that whine, the first Boss didn't have it, the 11 GT i drove didn't have it, the 11 V6 didn't, and the 11 GT500 didn't either. I'm just looking at the fact that i have driven just about every available mustang since 2010 and only this boss has the whine and you can hear it with the seats up too. I need to make a video of it so you guys can hear it.
Old 6/22/11, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

very interesting, mine is 333 so they may well have been built the same day, they are even the same color.
Let me know what they find.
Old 6/22/11, 09:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well i traded in a 10 Gt on the first Boss i had that didn't have that whine, the first Boss didn't have it, the 11 GT i drove didn't have it, the 11 V6 didn't, and the 11 GT500 didn't either. I'm just looking at the fact that i have driven just about every available mustang since 2010 and only this boss has the whine and you can hear it with the seats up too. I need to make a video of it so you guys can hear it.
I wasn't trying to imply you were nuts. I was just suggesting it was the seats, from the previous post with the videos I got the impression you only noticed it with the seats down.

Last edited by Berol; 6/22/11 at 10:28 AM.
Old 6/22/11, 12:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Berol
I wasn't trying to imply you were nuts. I was just suggesting it was the seats, from the previous post with the videos I got the impression you only noticed it with the seats down.
nah i didn't think that. there happened to be a ford engineer rep in at the exact time i went to pick the car up. he kept trying to tell me it was suspension noise until i outlined the long list of stangs ive owned and driven, none of which had that issue. odd how he could say suspension or tire noise without driving it. i also got more than a little irritated when he started telling me how "one of those cars with 3.55's will sound different than 3.73's" and finally i had to tell him exactly what the cars can come with. you would think these people know about their own products and should know better than to be condescending when i am exceptionally well informed lol.
Old 6/22/11, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Yup, sounds like most of those guys are paper pushing suits!!

Quick Reply: Dealer wants me to believe there is nothing wrong with my boss...