2012-2013 BOSS 302

Cool Tech: Kooks vs Stock Dyno Results!!

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/11, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like Steeda products a lot and appreciate their participation to the forums. Wouldn't mind at all doing something with them - especially where the community can benefit. However, in this case, we have already invested in the Track Key programming. Until SCT figures something out, I'm pretty certain that a custom tune will wipe out (at best) or not work at all with the dual path programming that is in place.
Old 12/23/11, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
I like Steeda products a lot and appreciate their participation to the forums. Wouldn't mind at all doing something with them - especially where the community can benefit. However, in this case, we have already invested in the Track Key programming. Until SCT figures something out, I'm pretty certain that a custom tune will wipe out (at best) or not work at all with the dual path programming that is in place.

I think a simple solution then would be to send me the full Kooks set up and Gus sends me the Intake set up. I'm willing to sacrafice the time and money to install and have it dynoed. I await your PMs. LOL.
Old 12/23/11, 09:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hey guys,

I'm venturing over from the 5.0 sub-forum...

Any idea if this kooks hpipe (with or without cats) will fit on a 2011 5.0? Looking to do cut outs and this kook's hpipe would make it really easy.

I have the stock exhaust manifold...but may switch to LT headers later on down the road.
Old 12/23/11, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SurfnSoCal
Hey guys,

I'm venturing over from the 5.0 sub-forum...

Any idea if this kooks hpipe (with or without cats) will fit on a 2011 5.0? Looking to do cut outs and this kook's hpipe would make it really easy.

I have the stock exhaust manifold...but may switch to LT headers later on down the road.
The Kooks Boss h-pipe is made to connect to there long tube headers. I'm not aware of any adapters to connect it to the stock exhaust headers.
Old 12/23/11, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

The Kooks Boss h-pipe is made to connect to there long tube headers. I'm not aware of any adapters to connect it to the stock exhaust headers.
This is correct. However, it would be a pretty easy adapter to make. The Kook's uses a slip-fit and clamp at the front of the H-pipe.
Old 12/23/11, 11:37 AM
FR500 Member

FRPP now carries the Boss H and side pipe setup.
Old 12/23/11, 11:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

This is correct. However, it would be a pretty easy adapter to make. The Kook's uses a slip-fit and clamp at the front of the H-pipe.

So I could use the BOSS Hpipe as long as I had the Kooks headers (which should work with the 5.0 vs. Boss correct?).
Old 12/23/11, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

So I could use the BOSS Hpipe as long as I had the Kooks headers (which should work with the 5.0 vs. Boss correct?).
That's right, Richard.
Old 12/24/11, 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

How about some video/audio for us folks who want to hear the car? Everything else looks good so far, so let's have a listen!
Old 12/24/11, 07:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteedaGus

In testing we did, there was not much improvement when sticking to the similar size MAF housing. We just released our Boss cold air system and it uses a much larger MAF housing which also requires tuning. We saw substantial gains then between airflow and camshaft timing changes within the tune.

This thread here has the info for anyone interested: https://themustangsource.com/f813/st...elease-503239/

I am not surprised the Boss seems to respond so well to long tubes. With the improved exhaust cam, larger exhaust valves, and all the other minor changes I came to believe that made this engine an ideal candidate for long tubes. But I didn't have any data to support that.

Unfortunately we haven't done a set of those on a Boss yet ourselves, but we are really looking forward to doing one, especially combined with our cold air and tuning, which I believe would benefit long tubes even further.
Actually a Ford engineer basically told me the only HP/TQ improvement they left on the table was found via long tube headers but the part install costs due to assembly line install issues were deemed too high.
Old 12/24/11, 09:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Actually a Ford engineer basically told me the only HP/TQ improvement they left on the table was found via long tube headers but the part install costs due to assembly line install issues were deemed too high.
That's a very interesting comment, and makes the Kook's full exhaust system all that more attractive, because I love the sound of a really great exhaust system! ...... However, I also like taking to Boss to work as a daily driver in the summer, and that's in busy 4 lane downtown traffic. Not everybody is going to appreciate the racket like I do.
So there's the conundrum!
Old 12/28/11, 11:38 PM
Cobra R Member

What at we looking at for the full System with side pipes and Cats? Need to factor in additional cost to ship to Canada but I think I'm sold on the exhaust as first out of storage mod. Hood will have to wait.
Old 12/29/11, 02:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
What at we looking at for the full System with side pipes and Cats? Need to factor in additional cost to ship to Canada but I think I'm sold on the exhaust as first out of storage mod. Hood will have to wait.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_KO_System.shtml
Old 12/30/11, 10:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks. Cheaper than it could have been but a bit rich for me at the moment. Tiger Racing hood it is then. Hopefully long-tube headers and exhaust will follow before then end of next summer.
Old 1/8/12, 10:24 AM
RTD
GT Member

Did we ever get dyno results comparing the offroad pipe to the catted pipe?

Also, any idea if the catted one will pass an emissions test? A lot of people don't really care whether or not it is CARB certified, but still need to be able to pass a sniffer test every year or two.
Old 1/15/12, 10:27 PM
V6 Member

Hi Kendall !

I forgot to ask you if your car has set a check engine light with the CAT'S from KOOK'S ?
I did try saying that five times
Did you also resolve the check engine light on your friends car that had the race pipe W/O the cat's ?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Adios,

Rob
Old 1/16/12, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

My car WITH the CATs is still throwing the light. I just spoke to Kook's today and they are investigating. It shouldn't be doing that according to them. (Note, my car throws a CEL for BOTH banks so it's not like I have one bad cat or something.) I'm hoping that they will be able to resolve.
Old 1/16/12, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

My car WITH the CATs is still throwing the light. I just spoke to Kook's today and they are investigating. It shouldn't be doing that according to them. (Note, my car throws a CEL for BOTH banks so it's not like I have one bad cat or something.) I'm hoping that they will be able to resolve.
Good luck. Most aftermarket hi-flow cats will throw the P0420 and P0430 dtc's. Just not enough O2 storage is those type of cats. You will probably have to get O2 extenders (spark plug anti-foulers).
Old 1/17/12, 06:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2006mach1
Good luck. Most aftermarket hi-flow cats will throw the P0420 and P0430 dtc's. Just not enough O2 storage is those type of cats. You will probably have to get O2 extenders (spark plug anti-foulers).
This is correct, aftermarket high flow cats on any 2011+ car will set off the check engine light unless physical or calibration measures are taken to prevent it.
Old 1/17/12, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

This is correct, aftermarket high flow cats on any 2011+ car will set off the check engine light unless physical or calibration measures are taken to prevent it.
Agreed. It's just that Kook's thought/hoped they had a vendor with a cat design that wouldn't do this. Guess again! LOL

Quick Reply: Cool Tech: Kooks vs Stock Dyno Results!!