2012-2013 BOSS 302

Cool Tech: Kooks vs Stock Dyno Results!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/12 | 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by heylilcobra
the question i have is. these hp numbers are they at the flywheel or back tire?
These are rear wheel numbers.
Old 1/31/12 | 12:47 PM

This was a quick video from my phone we will have better video on Kookstv.com follow our you tube channel and like us on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kooks-...44?ref=tn_tnmn
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kookstv

http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/...ossidepipe.mp4
Old 1/31/12 | 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldtimer50
Drew, I am definately interested in your long tubes and complete exhaust which also allows me to keep my side exhaust. The question I have is this, do you have to jack up the engine off the mounts to install the long tubes, or is it just a matter of getting the car up on a lift and changing out the factory shorties for your long tubes?

Thanks
Yes the mounts have to be removed to put the headers in the car. If that is too much we have the protype shortie done going into production very shortly.
Thanks,
Drew
Old 1/31/12 | 06:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Drew-Kooks
This was a quick video from my phone we will have better video on Kookstv.com follow our you tube channel and like us on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kooks-...44?ref=tn_tnmn
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kookstv

http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/...ossidepipe.mp4
Hi Drew,

WOW those side exhausts are the BOMB !
I'm thinking of changing my stock ones for yours. I would defenitely add the electric valves to them.
Thanks for the pictures.

Rob
Old 1/31/12 | 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes the mounts have to be removed to put the headers in the car.
Having done 3 cars already, this is not as bad as it seems. The fit and quality of the Kooks set-up is amazing. I would just add that you might want to think about ceramic coating the headers before installing.
Old 2/1/12 | 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by RJorge1950
Hi Drew,

WOW those side exhausts are the BOMB !
I'm thinking of changing my stock ones for yours. I would defenitely add the electric valves to them.
Thanks for the pictures.

Rob
Thank you,
Glad that they are getting good feedback. My opinion it makes a great jekyll & hyde sound for these cars at the flip of a switch. they should be in production very shortly.
Drew
Old 2/2/12 | 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Question

Thank you,
Glad that they are getting good feedback. My opinion it makes a great jekyll & hyde sound for these cars at the flip of a switch. they should be in production very shortly.
Drew
Drew,'so when will your headers and mid pipe for the Boss be available to us consumers ?
Thanks,
Fred
Old 2/2/12 | 01:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FAST FRED
Drew,'so when will your headers and mid pipe for the Boss be available to us consumers ?
Thanks,
Fred
Hi FAST FRED,

They are available right now, just go to cooltechllc.com and you can purchase the hole system for our cars. As far as I know the only thing that is not yet available is the Kook's larger side pipes.

Regards,

Rob
Old 2/2/12 | 02:53 PM

Our Headers and Catted Boss H-Pipe are avalible now! The replacement parts and conversion parts are what are being worked on now, Shorty headers, high flow cats to be used with shorty headers or stock manifolds, mid pipes to remove the resoniator, X-section with or without Boss side pipe option, Axle back kit with Kooks mufflers are also almost done.
Drew
Old 2/2/12 | 03:51 PM

cats

Iwould like know about the h.f. cats for stock manifolds

rob
Old 2/2/12 | 07:30 PM
GT Member

Thank you,
Drew
I'm not sure if I understand?
Are you going to offer electric cut-out for the sidepipes?
I'm interested a set of cut-out for my stock Boss so I can drive in rush-hour traffic witout shaking the side mirrors off the guy beside me, and with the pipes wide open when the road permits.
Cheers,
Old 2/2/12 | 09:46 PM
V6 Member

Hi jouster,

The "at the flip of a switch" that Drew from Kooks was reffering to was in response to my post that I would use the
www.quicktimeperformance.com Boss 302 electric cut-off with Kooks new, larger side pipes. You can install these electric cut-off's on your Boss right now. I beleive Summit Racing has them for $334.00. Since the QTP's are electric you can go from full open to full close or anywhere in between, thereby changing how loud or quiet you want the exhaust to be.

Rob
Old 2/2/12 | 11:13 PM
GT Member

Hi jouster,

The "at the flip of a switch" that Drew from Kooks was reffering to was in response to my post that I would use the
www.quicktimeperformance.com Boss 302 electric cut-off with Kooks new, larger side pipes. You can install these electric cut-off's on your Boss right now. I beleive Summit Racing has them for $334.00. Since the QTP's are electric you can go from full open to full close or anywhere in between, thereby changing how loud or quiet you want the exhaust to be.

Rob
Thanks Rob,
as soo as I read your post, I went directly to Summit Racing to purchase a pair of the Boss Cut-outs. Their price was great at $323, but their darn website checkout was incapable of sorting out the Paypal billing address correctly, which was different than the shipping address ... so I'm looking for another supplier.
Cheers,
Old 2/3/12 | 08:22 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by jouster
Thanks Rob,
as soo as I read your post, I went directly to Summit Racing to purchase a pair of the Boss Cut-outs. Their price was great at $323, but their darn website checkout was incapable of sorting out the Paypal billing address correctly, which was different than the shipping address ... so I'm looking for another supplier.
Cheers,
Or you could order it over the phone...
Old 2/3/12 | 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Hi FAST FRED,

They are available right now, just go to cooltechllc.com and you can purchase the hole system for our cars. As far as I know the only thing that is not yet available is the Kook's larger side pipes.

Regards,

Rob
Thanks Rob.
Old 2/3/12 | 09:04 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Or you could order it over the phone...
Ha! Ha! Yep Rick, I could have ordered by phone,..... but not at 10 PM!

So I took your advice Rick, and phoned the factory and had the Boss Cut-outs shipped out today, complete with remote control.
Cost a bit more, but Summit had no stock, and I needed delivery by the end of next week.
So thanks for the bump, ... it got me fired up to finish the job, actually!
Cheers,

Last edited by jouster; 2/3/12 at 09:21 PM. Reason: update
Old 2/4/12 | 07:09 AM
V6 Member

You are WELCOME Fred !

Let me know how your electric cut-offs come out.
I don't know if you noticed but QTP has an option to install a remote control for the cut-outs, this way you could have your car running and then step out and adjust the sound level to your liking our your neighbors threshold of tolerance LOL !

Best regards,

Rob
Old 2/4/12 | 03:41 PM
GT Member

You are WELCOME Fred !

Let me know how your electric cut-offs come out.
I don't know if you noticed but QTP has an option to install a remote control for the cut-outs, this way you could have your car running and then step out and adjust the sound level to your liking our your neighbors threshold of tolerance LOL !

Best regards,

Rob
I did order the Remote for the twin cut-outs.
They tell me it's a simpler install, no switch to mount for one thing.
I like the variable setting the cut outs give too.
great for quiter heavy traffic downtown, and wide open when the occasion calls for it!
Cheers,
Old 2/22/12 | 08:15 AM
Cobra Member

Bump for sound clips & pix

Couldn't wait for Boss sound clip so I did a quick youtube search and found this. WOW, the Boss must be just as good as Kendall says, esp if this cell phone vid still sounds this mean on a 4.6L !!

Also found a dyno pull for a 2011 GT.

Last edited by ace72ace; 3/1/12 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Added youtube links
Old 3/30/12 | 07:54 AM
RTD
GT Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
OK, we got back over to the dyno yesterday and had a chance to put my LS on the rollers. At the beginning of this thread, we published results of my car (stock at the time) compared to another LS where we had just installed Kooks Headers, H-pipe (no cats), and mufflers. Very impressive differences. However now we have a test that may be more accurate. The results remain very impressive - although a little less pronounced than when we used two different cars.

Having established a baseline with my car when it was stock, we now re-tested my car with the Kooks Headers (1.75" primaries), H-Pipe WITH Cats, and Kook's mufflers.

The results are that we got an almost consistent 15-20 HP across the entire RPM range and peak advantages around 3500RPM of 25HP. Similarly, TQ was improved across the RPM band, with a fat spot of +40 in the same ~3500 RPM mark.

I've also included an A/F chart to show how the ECU is accounting for and correcting A/F's for the headers. In fact, you will see that in the upper RPM range, the car is now running richer WITH the headers.

Attachment 97997

Attachment 97998
Let me make sure I understand this.

With the Kooks system (headers, midpipe, axleback) without cats you picked up 35 hp and 41 ft-lbs over stock.

With the same Kooks system with high flow cats you picked up 13 hp and 18 ft-lbs over stock.

It sounds to me like almost all the gains come from deleting the cats.

Quick Reply: Cool Tech: Kooks vs Stock Dyno Results!!