2012-2013 BOSS 302

Cool Tech: Kooks vs Stock Dyno Results!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/12 | 05:22 PM
GT Member

Knock wood my GT with ARH headers and catted x pipe has not thrown a code since the first day when I had one of the HEGO harnesses not fully seated. Have Boss Intake, Steeda CAI and a Brenspeed tune (not adjusted for the headers as Brenspeed said it was not required) Haven't done a dyno and have since added a BBK 85 mm TB. Car runs great and definitely has picked up a lot of mid range torque and high end power. GTech runs show a 45 HP improvement but I will get on the rollers and report.
Steve
Old 1/23/12 | 08:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by steveespo
Knock wood my GT with ARH headers and catted x pipe has not thrown a code since the first day when I had one of the HEGO harnesses not fully seated. Have Boss Intake, Steeda CAI and a Brenspeed tune (not adjusted for the headers as Brenspeed said it was not required) Haven't done a dyno and have since added a BBK 85 mm TB. Car runs great and definitely has picked up a lot of mid range torque and high end power. GTech runs show a 45 HP improvement but I will get on the rollers and report.
Steve
Hi steveespo,
Glad to hear your ARH system did not throw a code, hope it stays that way for you.
I spoke today to Drew at Kook"s headers and he told me that ARH uses the same high flow CAT's they use so he was surprized that they threw a code in Kensall's car.
He also read your post and was wondering if perhaps Brenspeed may have adjusted for the CAT's in your tune but not for the headers. Any info that you can give would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 1/24/12 | 03:43 AM
GT Member

Rob
When I called Brenspeed they said no changes to my Boss intake were required at all for the header/catted X pipe. I was surprised but pleased, they could've gotten me for $35 but didn't. I think you can see if rear cats are shut off on the SCT right? If so I will check, no codes at all, I haven't had a track day but I did shake the car down the weekend I finished the install.
Steve
Old 1/24/12 | 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Rob
When I called Brenspeed they said no changes to my Boss intake were required at all for the header/catted X pipe. I was surprised but pleased, they could've gotten me for $35 but didn't. I think you can see if rear cats are shut off on the SCT right? If so I will check, no codes at all, I haven't had a track day but I did shake the car down the weekend I finished the install.
Steve
Check and see if the CAT monitor is "ready". Also, see if you can read the rear O2 sensors, B1S2 and B2S2. Lots of tunes will "shut off" the rear O2 sensors.
Old 1/27/12 | 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm looking to get this whole exhaust, without cats, this summer. Hopefully you can ship it to me. What I want to do at the same time is swap out the K member and LCAs since it will help with the install and I'm looking to drop weight. Any recommendations on the K Member and related suspension? I'd like to go with one manufacturer if possible.
Old 1/28/12 | 02:01 PM

Subscribed to this thread and waiting for a sound clip.
Old 1/29/12 | 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Isn't the clip on the main page, www.themustangsource.com, the one we're looking for? If so, I like the sound.
Old 1/29/12 | 07:41 PM

Kooks headers, Kooks Boss H pipe and Magnaflow axelbacks is what that was running. I thought Kooks had an axelback muffler. Magnaflows sound awesome tho.
Old 1/29/12 | 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

We just installed another Kook's total exhaust system. (Headers, H-pipe, and CAT-backs) Note: The "cat-back" is more accurately an H-pipe-back in this system.

Anyway, some of you may recall that I kinda made a big thing about the fact that Kooks was the only company making the Boss302 specific H-Pipe. Specifically, you can use your side exit outlets with and size blocking plate you prefer. The THEORY here is that after spending a lot on an exhaust, an owner may end up with something either too quiet or too loud. MAYBE the side exit provision would allow an owner some after-install flexibility.

Well, I'm here to tell you that this isn't THEORY anymore - it's fact.... and the variability is greater than what I would have expected. I will give you an example.

One LS that we have under our care has the complete Kooks system with NO Cats and the side pipes wide open (blocking plates removed). The car is fun to drive but it is very loud. It snaps pops and snarls like the devil himself. As fun as it is to drive occasionally, it probably wouldn't be that fun as a daily driver. Now, the car that we did this past weekend has the EXACT same Kooks system - from the headers back and also with NO Cats. The difference is that the owner asked us to block the side plates completely. This car is so quiet (relatively) it is amazing. It is literally NOTHING like the other car. Don't get me wrong, it souunds like an aggressive Mustang but inside the cabin it is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter and the crack, snapple, pop is cut down about 75%.

The point of the post is that the Kooks system (when you include the H-Pipe), can be tuned for sound from mild to wild. In other words, you will not be stuck with a system that is either too loud or too soft.

Last edited by nota4re; 1/29/12 at 09:30 PM.
Old 1/30/12 | 05:33 AM
GT Member

Will the h-pipe and side exhaust work on a gt? I could not tell if the side exhaust mounting holes were there. Do you sell the side exhaust pipe or is that a ford only piece?
Old 1/30/12 | 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
1) Once again we tested Track Key after letting the car drop into "Engine Enabled" mode and the Black key. Performance (HP/TQ) is nearly identical between the two programs. The measureable difference is that the car runs noticeably leaner in Track Key mode.... and I'm far from convinced that this is a good thing. (FYI - I have sent a lot of data to some secret emails...)
Kendall,

Did you ever hear back from those emails?
Old 1/30/12 | 09:50 AM

Kooks Side pipes

Originally Posted by RaceRed12
Will the h-pipe and side exhaust work on a gt? I could not tell if the side exhaust mounting holes were there. Do you sell the side exhaust pipe or is that a ford only piece?
We at Kooks are working on a new exhaust that will allow non side pipe cars to convert to "Boss" side pipes with the whole kit avalible as a bolt in.
Old 1/30/12 | 11:01 AM
V6 Member

Rob
Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks again for your response and I'm not that familiar with the SCT scanner to give an opinion. I did however stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night LOL !
On a more serious note I was at Daytona last friday for the Continental Tire Challenge race and had a chance to talk to a Ford engineer that told me your ARH long tube headers made the most HP out all the headers that Ford tested. Of course since I was interested in the Kooks I asked him how much more and he said slightly more than the Kooks so I felt just a little better. I am still waiting to hear from Kendall and Kooks about why the CAT system turns on a CEL. There is a physical fix out there from a third party but I rather not go that route. I also contacted Mike at ARH to see if they have a Boss specific "H" pipe with the side exhaust because on their website it only shows an "X" pipe.

Best regards,

Rob

Last edited by RJorge1950; 2/4/12 at 07:15 AM.
Old 1/30/12 | 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by RaceRed12
Originally Posted by RJorge1950
Hi Steve,

Thanks again for your response and I'm not that familiar with the SCT scanner to give an opinion. I did however stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night LOL !
On a more serious note I was at Daytona last friday for the Continental Tire Challenge race and had a chance to talk to a Ford engineer that told me your ARH long tube headers made the most HP out all the headers that Ford tested. Of course since I was interested in the Kooks I asked him how much more and he said slightly more than the Kooks so I felt just a little better. I am still waiting to hear from Kendall and Kooks about why the CAT system turns on a CEL. There is a physical fit out there from a third party but I rather not go that route. I also contacted Mike at ARH to see if they have a Boss specific "H" pipe with the side exhaust because on their website it only shows an "X" pipe.

Best regards,

Rob
Rob,
At the time our conversation Kendall's car is the one and only issue we have had with our Green cats and we also now know that they are CA emissions cars. We are working on rectifing the issue right now. I feel confident by you putting our Green system on your car that you will not have an issue.
As far as Ford doing testing, they tested our standard street car header against their Cobra Jet Race header, we had no idea what they were testing. Don Fezell's record setting Cobra Jet car now has Kooks Race Header and made 22HP and 18 Ft lbs more than their header did on his tuners dyno. We are attempting to get the dyno numbers now. Kendall's issue should be rectified here in the next week or two.

Thank You!
Old 1/30/12 | 03:50 PM

Drew, I am definately interested in your long tubes and complete exhaust which also allows me to keep my side exhaust. The question I have is this, do you have to jack up the engine off the mounts to install the long tubes, or is it just a matter of getting the car up on a lift and changing out the factory shorties for your long tubes?

Thanks
Old 1/30/12 | 07:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Drew-Kooks
Rob,
At the time our conversation Kendall's car is the one and only issue we have had with our Green cats and we also now know that they are CA emissions cars. We are working on rectifing the issue right now. I feel confident by you putting our Green system on your car that you will not have an issue.
As far as Ford doing testing, they tested our standard street car header against their Cobra Jet Race header, we had no idea what they were testing. Don Fezell's record setting Cobra Jet car now has Kooks Race Header and made 22HP and 18 Ft lbs more than their header did on his tuners dyno. We are attempting to get the dyno numbers now. Kendall's issue should be rectified here in the next week or two.

Thank You!
the question i have is. these hp numbers are they at the flywheel or back tire?
Old 1/30/12 | 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I apologize to all for the delayed response... I'm on a buisness trip and hard to find any time!!! I'd like to say a few things.

1. Regarding ARH vs Kook's - I went to SEMA fully expecting to buy a few sets of ARH headers and full length exhaust systems. I have nothing against the ARH's but I just honestly thought that in side by side comparisons, the Kooks was just a better product. Second, the aforementioned Boss H-pipe option that no other exhaust manufacturer offers is BIG. Sound quality and loudness is subjective. With the Kooks system, you have the ability to customize the sound to your liking. You are NOT stuck with an exhaust that is too loud or too quiet.

2. Regarding the Kook's and the CEL. Kooks personnel have been bending over backwards to work with me as tey have mentioned. I am CONFIDENT that we will have that resolved very shortly! Kooks is a VERY cool company to work with and the listen and incorporate feedback!!!

More soon....

Last edited by nota4re; 1/30/12 at 09:13 PM.
Old 1/30/12 | 09:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
Kendall,

Did you ever hear back from those emails?

Never expected to quite honestly. Too many lawyers in the world and no way ANY info comes from email unless it goes through official processes. I don't necessarily like that, but I respect their processes.
Old 1/31/12 | 04:46 AM
GT Member

I'll definitely order this Drew when it is available!
Old 1/31/12 | 12:39 PM

Picture of our new side pipes that we have completed. These are the prototypes and going into production soon.

Quick Reply: Cool Tech: Kooks vs Stock Dyno Results!!