Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss 302 Vs M3

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/13, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ this.

The M3 driver may have also just been more familiar with the roads.
Old 6/2/13, 01:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colticus
Or how about the M3 driver was just a better driver than you?
Lol f you colt.

Originally Posted by Brandon302
That is true, it does sound a little like street racing.
It wasn't.

Originally Posted by ApexCars
If you freaked out when you got body roll, there was still probably quite a bit left in your car. Also, you never mentioned what your shocks are set at since that would have an effect also. The M3 driver just may have been more comfortable with driving on the edge and may have been pushing his car at 9/10ths and you were only at 7/10ths of its capability.
Good points.
Old 6/13/13, 09:08 AM

I just got back from my first track weekend at VIR, and I didn't have a single M3 of any kind pass me in my stock Boss 302. I got countless point-by's from M3 drivers however. Take this with a grain of salt, as driver skill is just as important (if not more so) as the car being driven.

I pulled on them in the straights, and out braked/cornered them in the twisties. Some of the guys in the spec e30's were putting up lap times faster than me, but they were also in the intermediate and advanced groups (I was in the novice), so I didn't get to play with them. Also my instructor had my cap top speeds at 120 on the back straight after I got it over 140 once, so the HP advantage the Boss had over other cars was slightly diminished.

Either way, I have absolutely no regrets about my Boss after that weekend. I've had an E92 M3 before, and they are definitely nicer cars, but the performance with the Boss is a step above.
Old 6/13/13, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the BMW M cars, but my decision was easy, new Boss or used M3. I feel like it is an "event" every time I take the Boss out.

Dave
Old 6/13/13, 10:32 PM
Cobra R Member

While I wish the Boss inspired mid corner confidence the M3 did, I also prefer it overall because if feels very raw and alive. It's an exciting car to drive and it forces you to work very hard at being responsible. I like that.
Old 6/14/13, 02:59 PM

Being here in Italy, I see M3s all over and I was initially in the Market for one since they are much cheaper than back in the states and at the time I really didn't know a lot about the Boss but my wife liked the Shelby so when I went in talk to the AAFES guy about the Shelby, I learned that the lottery for the Shelby and Boss was a little different and the Shelby lottery had already passed so I said what the hell, I'll try for one of only two 13 Boss' available to AAFES in Europe. After I put my name in the drawing, I did some research on the Boss and loved everything I read and got a lot more excited about the drawing. I lucked out and got to buy #445 Race Red and have absolutely no regrets about not landing an M3. Yesterday I was at the car wash and this AF officer was there with his M3 and he was in awe of my Boss, swooned all over the interior and new more about the car than anyone one I have talked to so far. I have the only one in the area and I think Zoldier down in Naples is the the only one with a '12. The car gets more respect from M3 owners than the GT guys here.
Old 6/15/13, 08:35 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
While I wish the Boss inspired mid corner confidence the M3 did, I also prefer it overall because if feels very raw and alive. It's an exciting car to drive and it forces you to work very hard at being responsible. I like that.
Cornering grip in a Boss can be improved with some rear end suspension upgrades, I have the KB LCA's and KB reloc brackets and Whiteline Watts Link..WOW what a difference, no noise & cornering is much "flater" I can't wait to return the track I know, Eagles Canyon (North of DFW) at Five Star Ford ECR Track Day, Sat June 29th

Anyone interested to see it on action or want a passenger ride along on track at speed, come out. I'm an instructor/organizer for this event.

Ping me directly @ jerrycecco@gmail.com
or look here: https://www.facebook.com/events/401948666585531/
Old 6/15/13, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

not trying to insult but I think he just outdrove you.... happens sometimes
Old 6/15/13, 11:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think for the first several months (my Boss is a Sunday driver, not a daily driver) I probably took corners faster in my Nissan Frontier and my wife's Jetta Diesel because I knew those vehicles. Now that I know my Boss, I have a lot more faith in cornering at higher speeds. It takes time...

Dave
Old 6/17/13, 03:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dayve
I think for the first several months (my Boss is a Sunday driver, not a daily driver) I probably took corners faster in my Nissan Frontier and my wife's Jetta Diesel because I knew those vehicles. Now that I know my Boss, I have a lot more faith in cornering at higher speeds. It takes time...

Dave
This. It takes time to acclimatize to the higher seating position and the mid corner hop on rough surfaces. It grips beyond where you think it would, even stock.