2012-2013 BOSS 302

Absolutely nauseous...hail damage all over.

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/11, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the estimate done yesterday. Pretty extensive repair job they are anticipating. Decklid can be removed, PDR'd, reinstalled, no worries. Fenders and rails (along the roof) should be able to be taken care of with PDR as well. Roof itself, they are saying should be reskinned. Hood is where it gets fun. I guess there's no access from the underside of the hood to perform the PDR, so the whole thing would need to be replaced. If it's replaced, that means it has to be painted, if it has to be painted, then the fenders have to be paint-matched, if the fenders have to be paint matched, they will need to remove the BOSS decals, so I'll need a new set of those... assuming they will ever be available. They are also calling for a new front bumper and grill assembly, though I can't understand why as they're not damaged at all. Then the windshield needs to be replaced as well, though in the estimate they put "w/o logo", which I will do whatever is needed to make sure I get the one with the mustang logo.

All of this was estimated by a team of adjusters from my insurance company (USAA) working the catastrophe center down at the local Chevy dealer, very professional team and very eager to do make sure I was taken care of properly, not just rushed in and out so they could get the next car in. Worthy of noting, and they did, their systems don't have any 2012 info in them, so they gave me the estimate based on 2011 Mustang GT info, but noted throughout the estimate the difference in years, and told me they would give me an updated estimate as soon as that info was available. All told, their estimate came out to $5,780. With the BOSS decal package, they said I could expect to see that go up by $750-1k.

I immediately took the car back to Arrow Ford, where I purchased the car, to talk to their folks and see what they thought about the estimate. They are pretty confident most of it can be taken care of by PDR alone, no new hood, no need for repainting, no new decals, which makes me super happy. There's a possible dent on the roof that might not be able to be PDR'd, but the roof is black, so if they had to replace/repaint, no paint-matching would be needed. By their estimate, the only decal I would need to replace is the one on the hood.

Anyway, I'm now in the cue at Ford to have the repairs done. It'll probably be late June though by the time it's my turn, just based on volume from the amount of hail damage across the area, and the fact that they needed to repair every vehicle in their fleet so they can keep making sales. They'll call me in about a week before my repairs to do another once over on the car, and make sure they order any parts needed so they're there when I bring the car in for a quicker turn around.

So that's it I guess. Bottom line, about $5800 in damages and another 2 months probably before I get the BOSS back to tip top shape... Not fun. Not fun at all. But a little relief in knowing that there are people out there wanting to make sure the car is taken care of as much as I do.
Old 5/6/11, 08:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 5/6/11, 08:57 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car guys know when they're dealing with a car guy who takes pride in his vehicle. Good luck man.
Old 5/6/11, 08:59 PM
Cobra Member

As Rick said good, luck sounds like you are on the right path to a complete Boss recovery!
Old 5/6/11, 09:00 PM
Post *****

Wow!
Old 5/27/11, 06:58 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Any updates on this? Man, I'm really sorry to see this happen to you and your badass Boss. While I was at work yesterday, my 2011 5.0 got hailed on by remnants of the bad, killer tornado-producing storms that broke out in Oklahoma a couple of days ago. The storm came in quickly and I didn't really have time to do anything or go anywhere. Although it hailed like crazy for about a minute, they were little, marble-sized rocks and, fortunately, no damage was done to my car. I sure was freakin', though, until I looked my car over for an hour or so.

I hope all works out well for you, black bullitt.
Old 5/27/11, 07:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think PDR on aluminum is much tougher then steel. PDR guy probably doesnt want to mess with the hood because too much work. I had a single ding taken out of a 2006 hood and that is what PDR GUY told me. Took him like 30 minutes for that one ding.
Old 5/30/11, 04:35 PM

Still waiting to get a spot in the lineup at the dealership (last word was to expect late June). The good news is, as I keep running into more and more folks talking about getting the repairs done, they have nothing but good things to say about the guy doing the repairs up there. I've now seen some of his work and I have faith everything will be taken care of to my hopes and expectations.
Old 5/30/11, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Late June will be here shortly and you'll be driving soon.
If there is a large crack in the windshield, is it letting water in? Do you need to put packing tape over the crack to keep water from getting in before it's replaced?
Would having the windshield out help the PDR guy get to the problem dent in the roof?
Old 5/30/11, 04:45 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
I've now seen some of his work and I have faith everything will be taken care of to my hopes and expectations.

Funny, I was going to go down in the valley for the boat races Saturday, but there was a chance of hail - I said "no way!" and stayed home instead.
Old 5/30/11, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
Late June will be here shortly and you'll be driving soon.
If there is a large crack in the windshield, is it letting water in? Do you need to put packing tape over the crack to keep water from getting in before it's replaced?
Would having the windshield out help the PDR guy get to the problem dent in the roof?
The crack isn't too large, it's out of my field of view when driving and doesn't let water in. I don't think the windshield being there or not will have any effect on the roof's repair, my understanding is there is a small machine they can attach to the car to slowly massage the dents out, vs needing access to the underside to pop them out.
Old 9/20/11, 10:40 PM

Minor update...

Late June has come and gone, and still no word from the dealership/body shop. I called and left a message with the manager last week, no reply. Coincidentally, my insurance co called me yesterday to ask for a status check, as the check they cut straight to the body shop hadn't been cashed in yet. They'd called the dealer themselves and found out they had immediate openings available. (WTF, no call to me??) I expressed my extreme interest in getting the car fixed ASAP, and said if the Ford dealer couldn't get me in by the end of the month, I'd like to take my business elsewhere. About 15 minutes later I got a 3-4 minute long message on my phone from the body shop manager explaining the delay thus far, and letting me know that it would probably still be mid October before they could get me in, due to having to order parts (specifically the hood).

I'll update as I find out more. I'm just tired of having a beat up BOSS. I'm getting close to 6 months of ownership, and all but 3 weeks of that has been with nasty hail damage.
Old 9/21/11, 12:41 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would take it to another dealer even if that dealer is 100 miles away.
Old 9/21/11, 01:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Holy Crap I would be sick to my stomach, I was caught out in a heavy rain with hail just a week or two with my Boss, Nothing large enough to damage, but I was pretty close to running out there and throwing my floor mats on any surfaces I could, Next time maybe bring a couple heavy blankets.
Old 9/21/11, 04:47 AM
I lust for a M24

Find a new shop. Apparently it looks like your car isn't a priority there. I wouldn't want it sitting there, wondering if it was actually being worked on, if it was my car. Good luck anyhow.
Old 9/21/11, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I own the largest body shop in my town and when hail season comes around, I hire extra help and get all my customer's taken care of, or somebody else will. The parts are available for those cars. It's a Mustang for crying out loud. I have fixed '11's and a '12 already and parts were not an issue. Your car/business is not a priority there as is with most dealership body shops. I recommend you ask around, friends, family, etc.... find yourself the best independent bodyshop in your area. You wil find them plenty more hungry and organized to be able to handle your repair. I just noticed you are with USAA. I am a member of their repair network. They have high standards. Ask them for a recommended shop. Judging from your estimate that car should be done in about 10 working days. Don't settle. Too bad I am around 8 hrs away, I could have taken care of you a long time ago.
Old 9/21/11, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

BrawlinBoss,

+1 tell it like it is!!! Time to find a shop who CARES!
Old 9/21/11, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Rich,
Saw this post for the first time today (thread started before my Boss surfing started in June)--I knew you had hail based on your signature.
Sad to see a Boss beat up like that. I've been w/ USAA for about 25 years, and they have great service. Hopefully they can refer you to a faster shop that will make your Boss new.
Or, maybe its time to upgrade to the racing hood!
Old 9/21/11, 07:34 PM

Black_bullitt - Today is the first time I have seen your post about the hail too. I certainly feel at least part of your pain and helplessness while your car is getting pounded. My wife’s 2011 Jeep Cherokee Overland with less than 2000 miles was hailed out early in June. The local body shop owner recommend a local PDR and detail shop to try and save as much factory paint as possible. I was told that they could not do PDR on the Jeep hood since it was aluminum. But that was not the case. The hood had somewhere between 50 and 75 smaller dents scattered around and some larger ones in the face. The top was dented along with the tops of the doors, right quarter panel and right fender. The chrome trim also around the windows was also toast. The guy was a genius with PDR. He got every single dent out of the vehicle and the only replacement was the chrome trim. He saved all my factory paint. So, I would ask around for a quality PDR shop and I bet they can do some magic with the Boss. As long as the hail stones did not crack the paint or put a dent right on a sharp ridge a person who knows what they are doing can get the dent out. And, it was a fraction of the cost the traditional method would have cost.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 9/21/11, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I have no qualms about the body shop, and the guy doing the work. I've heard nothing but great things about his work, and have seen some first hand, and I'm convinced it's the way to go. (Plus the bit in the back of my mind about documenting the repair, to me it seems like a Ford shop would be better than a mom & pop paint & body shop). It's the management back there that gets under my skin.

I'll be making some calls tomorrow to see why there's a hold up on parts, etc. Thanks again for the suggestions, etc.

Quick Reply: Absolutely nauseous...hail damage all over.