Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Absolutely nauseous...hail damage all over.

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/11, 05:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dont sweat it, if they have a PDR thats good, you wont ever notice, we had a horrible hail storm here in Phoenix last year and just creamed a few dealers and they were all fixed up good as new!!!! Good luck!!
Old 4/25/11, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About three years ago we got hit with a very narrow band of hail that cut a very powerful swath. My home lay directly in its path. I chased it on my way home from a job in Buffalo, driving as fast as I could to try to beat it. I called my wife on my cell to see if she could throw some carpeting I had just cut up onto my vehicles in the driveway, a beefed '90 LX 5.0 and my 2003 3/4 ton diesel supercab. She was saying it was to bad to go outside and I was trying to convince her to do it anyways. She hung up on me.

It was almost 80* outside.

I noticed more and more tree damage the closer I got to my house. Baseball/golfball sized hail were everywhere. I pulled in the driveway hoping for a miracle. Nope. The F250 looked like I gave a monkey on crack a ball peen hammer and yelled go! My clean coupe suffered the same fate. I don't even want to get into the window, siding, and roof (over $18,000 just for the roof) repair that was necessary. I had just put a metal roof on my pole barn as well. That one really hurt.

I'd heard about PDR but was skeptical. One of the guys at the bodyshop I went to overheard some of my comments and took me outside to see some fancy, schmancy Lexus, model and nomenclature unknown to my non-knowing rice-genre azz. He challenged me to find a scratch or a dent. I found none. Then he showed me pictures.

He sold me, instantly. We even discussed the tools he used and how he accessed each dent along with the techniques used.

The F250 panels are straight as an arrow. More importantly, the dents that happened at a body line or crease were taken care of as well. Some of these guys are very good. I'm sure you'll be in good hands.

That said, if this ever happens to my GT500, I will publicly cry.

Tob

...and then try like hell to track down the storm chaser that did my work!

Last edited by Tob*; 4/25/11 at 06:39 PM.
Old 4/25/11, 08:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Rich, that's terrible, I feel your pain! I had an '06 that was only a few months old when a big hail storm rolled through with some baseball sized hail and I wasn't home to get it in the garage, made me sick. I got mine repaired and it was not noticeable - although I KNEW it had been repaired. All the best in getting yours repaired to your satisfaction.
Old 4/26/11, 07:59 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the words of encouragement and wishes for a speedy repair. It's certainly a bit of a stress reliever to hear the successes of the PDR, so I thank you guys for sharing those stories.

I do have a question. I'm still waiting to hear from my insurance company, but I do know, through checking in with my dealer yesterday (they are always eager to know the latest happenings with the Boss), that my particular insurance company will refer me to one of maybe two places in town to get the estimate(s), one being a mom & pop paint and body shop, the other being the large Chevy dealer in town. Now, the two *salesmen* I worked with when buying the Boss looked over the car with me yesterday, more of general BSing than anything else, but they sort of hinted that the hood would need to be flat out replaced since it's aluminum, and the roof might need to be "reskinned". I guess my question is, does this sound accurate? If it is, I want to be sure to let whoever does my estimate know so they can provide accurate numbers for dollars and hours of labor. I also want to keep the original hood should they end up needing to replace it. Maybe practice my own dent removal and hang it on the wall...
Old 4/26/11, 08:28 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by black_bullitt
... they sort of hinted that the hood would need to be flat out replaced since it's aluminum, and the roof might need to be "reskinned". I guess my question is, does this sound accurate?
Yes it does. The damage could not be noticed on hard surfaces on my car after repairs. The roof was another matter. The '99 did not have an aluminum hood but I assume the damage would be difficult if not impossible to repair to your satisfaction. The trunk lid might have to be replaced as well.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 4/26/11 at 08:32 AM.
Old 4/26/11, 06:07 PM
GT Member

I had hail damage PDR done on a Toyota Sequoia which also has an aluminum hood, turned out excellent, Robi did the work. If it is real bad, it will probably be cheaper to replace the hood and will ultimately look better.
Old 4/26/11, 06:56 PM
GT Member

Sorry Rich I know you will get it fixed an it will be like new but is still SUCKS! I thought your car was (no pun intended) THE BOSS the first time I saw it. Cool thing is the hail didn`t hurt the go fast parts.
Old 4/26/11, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by mackds
...the hail didn`t hurt the go fast parts.
Dimples make golf ***** go faster...
Old 4/26/11, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fred944

Dimples make golf ***** go faster...
Too soon
Old 4/26/11, 07:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Too soon
They did it on mythbusters, it improved the fuel efficiency of the car
Old 4/26/11, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Vito

They did it on mythbusters, it improved the fuel efficiency of the car
I saw that one, the most interesting one I've seen is that they got better mpg with AC on than with windows down.
Old 4/26/11, 08:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

I saw that one, the most interesting one I've seen is that they got better mpg with AC on than with windows down.
I wonder if you open the windows and turn the AC on will it be as good?
Old 4/26/11, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Vito

I wonder if you open the windows and turn the AC on will it be as good?
Send it in maybe they'll try it.
Old 4/27/11, 04:13 PM
GT Member

Missed this thread, so sorry to hear about this. We've been getting smacked with bad weather too and a line of storms (with possible hail) is gearing up for tomorrow. I can't imagine the disgust. Best of luck, man.
Old 4/27/11, 05:44 PM

lol on the golf ball comments, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't wondered about something along those lines already!

I finally heard from my insurance agent and got set up with an appointment for an estimate. They've set up a catastrophe center of sorts due to the widespread damage. Initially I was told May 24 would be as soon as I could get in, but I managed to get a date for next week. Meanwhile, the cracks in the windshield have expanded from about 1/3 the height of the windshield to almost the full height. Looking forward to getting her all fixed up again, it's saddening and embarrassing to be driving such a beautiful and fun car with such a series of blemishes...
Old 4/27/11, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
lol on the golf ball comments...
I only hope 2 have such a good sense of humor if something like that happens to me

Good luck getter her back to new!
Old 4/27/11, 06:18 PM
GT Member

Well lets test the " Dimple Theory" between now and May 24th. Rich If you are able to achieve
1) Better Fuel Economy (BFE)
2) Faster Acceleration (FA)
3) Cool Back Spin (CBS)
With Dimples, You may be on to something.
I can see it now.... tuners are out... Ball Pin hammers are in.

I am so sorry, all you can do is grit your teeth an smile about it now.
Old 4/27/11, 06:25 PM
Cobra R Member

I remember when this happen to my 04 Cobra wasn't that bad but it did suck

Hope it gets fixed good
Old 4/27/11, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by fred944
I only hope 2 have such a good sense of humor if something like that happens to me

Good luck getter her back to new!
Originally Posted by mackds
I am so sorry, all you can do is grit your teeth an smile about it now.
That's my theory on life, guys. Bad stuff happens. You can mope around about it, or just go about your business enjoying what you have. I thought it might suck trading in my '07 F-150 FX4 Lux pkg SuperCrew, with the heated leather seats and 6 disc changer and factory sub and yada yada, then I get in the BOSS and grab the alcantara steering wheel in one hand and the 6 speed shifter in the other, rev up those 444 ponies, and forget all my worries. Now that I've got "dimples", I just rejoice in the fact that a tornado didn't throw the car into the next county. It can always be worse, my friends.
Old 4/27/11, 08:47 PM
Cobra Member

Great advice Rich! Hope everyone survives the latest spat of bad weather safely, bad stuff blowing up all over - BE SAFE!

Quick Reply: Absolutely nauseous...hail damage all over.