2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Boss Order is in!!

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/10, 08:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iDrive
Maybe this is too much for this forum.
Maybe,,But I look forward to following your progress and MAYBE, I'll learn a thing or two from you.

LQQK
Old 11/23/10, 08:47 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by iDrive
lol, easy, easy. Although off topic, one word "Engine". The potential of the Boss engine over the GT is enough to warrant the purchase. Factory Ford shocks of any type, although respectable, cannot compare with triple Penskes. I also expect the exhaust to be a bit restrictive. Custom long tubes with single or twin chamber mufflers exiting just before the axle should give me some decent gains. I could go on and on, but in general, pulling every bit of hp/tq possible is every racers goal. Maximizing the suspension geometry for R tires (1.3-1.4 g) takes decent hardware and months of tuning. I bought this to race, but I'm also restricted to the "mods" I can do. Everything I do would allow me to return the car to factory specs. Heck, I'm even switching to 3:55's.

I'm not hacking one bit of the Boss. No cage, flaring, weight reduction, etc. Maybe this is too much for this forum.

Dave
Not too much for this forum. Too much for my Boss-addled mind...

Last edited by PTRocks; 11/23/10 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11/24/10, 05:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Dave, what's your home track up there? I usually haunt Carolina Motorsports Park, that's where I'll make the comparison with the R. It will be interesting: The R is about 360hp, but about 3260 pounds. The Boss will 444 hp, and about 3600 pounds with the rear seat removed. It could be pretty close, but I think more advanced technology with another 84hp will win the day. I'm still looking for 19" R compound tires, and I think that I'll end up with the same tires as the LS: Pirelli P Zero Corsas, which are super expensive. Usually I run Nitto NT-01s....

Ice Hawk: thank you for your service, from a retired Marine. And I will let everyone know the lap time difference.
Old 11/24/10, 07:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StillIntense
Dave, what's your home track up there? I usually haunt Carolina Motorsports Park, that's where I'll make the comparison with the R. It will be interesting: The R is about 360hp, but about 3260 pounds. The Boss will 444 hp, and about 3600 pounds with the rear seat removed. It could be pretty close, but I think more advanced technology with another 84hp will win the day. I'm still looking for 19" R compound tires, and I think that I'll end up with the same tires as the LS: Pirelli P Zero Corsas, which are super expensive. Usually I run Nitto NT-01s....
I am interested too! Oh, by the way, I know Bill Hamilton from the Mach 1 Registry, where I first learned of your future Boss Mustang purchase. Hope everything works out for you.

Ice Hawk: thank you for your service, from a retired Marine.
Thanks for your service as well!!
Old 11/24/10, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Tony, Bill and I are very good friends! He and I have done the last two 24 Hours of Lemons Fall South races and end up at most of the local Mustang shows together. Also knew about him getting his "surprise" 2011 GT500 before he did! I'm getting married this weekend and he'll be there. Anything that you want me to pass on to him?
Old 11/24/10, 11:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I apparently need a new job or should learn how to suck some major c@#!

It amazes me how much is spent. More power to anyone and everyone that can do it. It's certainly cool to see and hear about all the cars and modifications!

I don't really know if there is ever too much modification, even on the Boss, I guess everyone's purpose is different but realistically, it's tough to see the cost savings. That said, It's not cheap. Though the price difference in the Boss and just upgrades to the engine would probably be enough to warrant the purchase of the Boss over a stock GT and modifying. I think a lot of people are siding on the Mustang purest side by taking a rare care and making it a race car. That's not how I want to say it but that's the best way I can think of it.

The Boss is built to race, the Boss LS even more so. Still, it's a rare Mustang and many will want to keep them in prime shape as it is pretty collectible. The thought process is take a general car and mod the **** out of it and no one cares. We only live once though. Being that I like Resto-Mod better than Resto, I guess I shouldn't care what anyone does. Same mind set applies here I suppose. Maybe I should stop talking...
Old 11/24/10, 11:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Tony, Bill and I are very good friends! He and I have done the last two 24 Hours of Lemons Fall South races and end up at most of the local Mustang shows together. Also knew about him getting his "surprise" 2011 GT500 before he did! I'm getting married this weekend and he'll be there. Anything that you want me to pass on to him?
I talk to him on the Mach 1 Registry forums, but you can tell him I want to see his new car and yours if I make it to Carlisle next June!
Old 11/24/10, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Automagically, you break me up (in a good way)! I guess everyone has a price pain threshold...for me, I can't really do anything else to my R realistically to go beyond where it is, thus the reason to sell my R and by a Boss (which will get very few mods). To me, you can race AND take good care of a car (in other words take it to a show) if you like.
I really like the idea of taking a car meant to race and racing it....you wouldn't believe how shocked some people are when they see my R at the track...as if I must be insane: but a race team originally bought the car and raced it....
As far as jobs go though, speaking for me personally, I spent 20 years in the military, worked my tail off, put up with no garages and very few cool cars, just so that I could do this now.....with a well paying job AND a military pension. I give people rides and sometimes let them drive as well, so that they can enjoy it too...which is what this is all about.
Old 11/24/10, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll make him send you pics Tony!
Old 11/24/10, 12:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Automagically, you break me up (in a good way)! I guess everyone has a price pain threshold...for me, I can't really do anything else to my R realistically to go beyond where it is, thus the reason to sell my R and by a Boss (which will get very few mods). To me, you can race AND take good care of a car (in other words take it to a show) if you like.
I really like the idea of taking a car meant to race and racing it....you wouldn't believe how shocked some people are when they see my R at the track...as if I must be insane: but a race team originally bought the car and raced it....
As far as jobs go though, speaking for me personally, I spent 20 years in the military, worked my tail off, put up with no garages and very few cool cars, just so that I could do this now.....with a well paying job AND a military pension. I give people rides and sometimes let them drive as well, so that they can enjoy it too...which is what this is all about.
You're alright in my book, man!
Old 11/24/10, 12:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, I completely understand. I'm young and have a long way to go. I broke lease on the Military too early for a pension so my disability will just have to help as pocket change, haha.

Anyway, on the cars, I thought the Cobra R was supposed to be at the track!
Now having said that I suppose the Boss is supposed to belong there too. I totally agree that you can keep up a nice track car. Some don't but that's to each their own. I saw a man racing this poor Ferrari 355 one year and it looked awful and sounded even worse. I was like what was the point? Either make it a good race car or keep it a good road car. But not neither.

I also agree, you seem like helluva guy. I appreciate that! Some day I might see you guys at the track, I might be in a Datsun 510, but I'm gonna be wringing the hell out of it!!

Sorry, let me keep this on topic..Boss Boss Boss Boss..Boss Boss.

Last edited by Automagically; 11/24/10 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11/24/10, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Amen brothers!
Speaking of funny stories...a friend of mine and I were at the track and encountered a guy with his own personal two deck car hauler. Top deck contained an FR500C, bottom deck a red Ford GT. Both cars looked like they were brand new. We stopped to talk to him and he basically ignored us and made it clear that he was far too important to speak with us.
Half an hour later he's lapping the track in the Ford GT, hits the kink on the back stretch and loops the GT through the sand trap about four complete revolutions at 130mph. Bottom half of the car looked like it had been put in a wood chipper....
So, moral of the story is: don't screw with karma.

I would be very happy to see you at the track, regardless of what you're driving!

Speaking of Boss, Boss, Boss: will you guys please go check on my thread regarding a strange ordering code on my order form/DORA? I need to find out if anyone elses has the same code.
Old 11/24/10, 01:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still looking for 19" R compound tires, and I think that I'll end up with the same tires as the LS: Pirelli P Zero Corsas, which are super expensive. Usually I run Nitto NT-01s....
I'm planning to order an LS and run it at the track instead of my GT500 so I was starting to look at the wheels/tires. Those Pirellis that come stock on the LS are insane! The rears are $600 before shipping, shaving and heat cycling and the fronts are $500. I'm thinking I could just run my Enkei 18" 10.5 rear and 9.5 fronts that I run on the road course with the GT500. I usually run R888s or RA1 because they are reasonable, last fairly well and still grip. I just destroy Hoosier fronts because of all the weight but am hoping the lighter LS will be easier on Hoosiers.

Any opinions on running the 18s versus 19s at the track?
Old 11/24/10, 02:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
I don't really know if there is ever too much modification, even on the Boss, I guess everyone's purpose is different but realistically, it's tough to see the cost savings. That said, It's not cheap. Though the price difference in the Boss and just upgrades to the engine would probably be enough to warrant the purchase of the Boss over a stock GT and modifying. I think a lot of people are siding on the Mustang purest side by taking a rare care and making it a race car. That's not how I want to say it but that's the best way I can think of it.

The Boss is built to race, the Boss LS even more so. Still, it's a rare Mustang and many will want to keep them in prime shape as it is pretty collectible. The thought process is take a general car and mod the **** out of it and no one cares. We only live once though. Being that I like Resto-Mod better than Resto, I guess I shouldn't care what anyone does. Same mind set applies here I suppose. Maybe I should stop talking...
I pretty much agree with StillIntense and most of your comments. If you knew me, you would say that I'm meticulously **** about how I maintain my cars. Where I lack in driving skill, I probably make up in car appearance. I usually only keep a car for 3-4 years. This one I don't plan to sell. Maybe a future car for my little gearhead daughter (age 5).

Dave
Old 11/24/10, 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Amen brothers!
Speaking of funny stories...a friend of mine and I were at the track and encountered a guy with his own personal two deck car hauler. Top deck contained an FR500C, bottom deck a red Ford GT. Both cars looked like they were brand new. We stopped to talk to him and he basically ignored us and made it clear that he was far too important to speak with us.
Half an hour later he's lapping the track in the Ford GT, hits the kink on the back stretch and loops the GT through the sand trap about four complete revolutions at 130mph. Bottom half of the car looked like it had been put in a wood chipper....
So, moral of the story is: don't screw with karma.

I would be very happy to see you at the track, regardless of what you're driving!

Speaking of Boss, Boss, Boss: will you guys please go check on my thread regarding a strange ordering code on my order form/DORA? I need to find out if anyone elses has the same code.
My DORA also showed the tape delete but that is for deleting the GT stripes. If you noticed the body style ordered for the Boss is the GT code with Rapid Spec 500A; this makes it a Boss with the hood and roof trim matching the side C stripes.
Old 11/24/10, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm getting married this weekend and he'll be there.
Good luck on your wedding and your future Boss
Old 11/24/10, 05:01 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I just placed my order for a 2013 Boss in Grabber Green...
I hate to play Grim Reaper on you but it doesn't look like Grabber Green, or whatever, fits the theme of the LS given the projection of five hundred units.

Common sense would limit the color choices on such limited production level, at least form Ford's perspective.
Old 11/24/10, 05:10 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
I hate to play Grim Reaper on you but it doesn't look like Grabber Green, or whatever, fits the theme of the LS given the projection of five hundred units.

Common sense would limit the color choices on such limited production level, at least form Ford's perspective.
I've given up on the LS. The black/yellow or white/yellow next year is just too much for me. I'll stick to the regular Boss and mod it to my wishes.
Old 11/24/10, 05:25 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I've thought about it quite a bit. I'd like the rear seat delete and brace, the brake cooling ducts, the gauge package, and the upgraded rear springs and sway bar. The rest of the LS upgrades I don't care for.

I assume FRPP will eventually have those available but it would be nice to have the option of ordering.
Old 11/24/10, 05:36 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
I've thought about it quite a bit. I'd like the rear seat delete and brace, the brake cooling ducts, the gauge package, and the upgraded rear springs and sway bar. The rest of the LS upgrades I don't care for.

I assume FRPP will eventually have those available but it would be nice to have the option of ordering.

I'm sure they will. They offered all those R specific parts (hood, wing, front splitter, seats, wheels, shocks/struts, even shifter ****). They'll want some return on their R&D money.

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss Order is in!!