Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/10, 01:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definately prefer the '69 over the '70. I just never liked the changes they made to the front fascia of the '70. As for Grabber Green? Blech! Give me Black Jade please!
Old 8/10/10, 01:56 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by todd03blown
This car is just PURE SEX!!!!!!!!!!

That car is the reason I got GB on my 5.0
Old 8/10/10, 01:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
That car is the reason I got GB on my 5.0
I can understand why!!!!!!!! It is so picture perfect, what a car!!
Old 8/10/10, 05:14 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhumb
As others have mentioned, the original Boss, the Boss 302 and perhaps the most iconic, was basically a homologation car, i.e., a "production" version of a race car built in sufficient numbers to allow the full race version to be competed. The "little" motor was basically a marriage of a 4-bolt main 302 block with the big port Cleveland 4bbl heads, which had huge ports and valves suitable for a healthy big block motor. The upside was that is had great peak power potential. The downside was that this potential was a bit untapped in its stock tune and needed a lot of revs to really get on the boil. Another upside was that this was a relatively light motor compared to the its big block drag racer brethren and thus allowed the Boss to be a much more balanced and fully fleshed out performance car rather than a one-trick pony quarter miler, one that could handle the corners and stops rather than just quick straight line wind sprints. The Boss 302 was as much a handling package as a hot motor.

The basic Boss came fairly stripped down with all the performance goodies -- motor, tranny and suspension basically -- though it could be tarted up from there. I think '70 offered even more baubles than the '69, which were mostly decorative filigrees but with the possible exception of the functional shaker hood and real front and rear spoilers.

The Boss 429 was kind of an odd beast in a way, basically a homologation platform for the semi-hemi 429 motor to be used in NASCAR racing. In some ways, that motor was a bit like its little 302 brother in that it was more of a detuned, high rpm race motor that was a bit out of its element on the street, especially if your intentions were limited to drag racing. Hence, the old standby 428CJ could pretty much smoke it in a drag race in stock trim. Now, tune it up properly and the monster 429 could eviscerate pretty much anything else. It too was pretty stripped down with very discreet graphics, in stark contrast to the show boat Mach I, and could only be had with limited options.

The Boss 351 was in some ways the best of the breed, being specifically developed as a street only vehicle with what I think was one of the best motors of the era, the Boss 351. While the '71 Stang was getting ever bigger, fatter and more bunker like -- hmmmm, sounds familiar to today's world -- the overall excellence of the 351 still prevailed and provided what was the best balanced and overall capable performance model in the Mustang barn that year.

I suspect that in character, a neo Boss 302 would more likely reflect the Boss 351 in overall character than the more rough and raw original 302, though perhaps with graphic elements more inspired by the '69 or '70 (they differed both years). While some may wax nostalgic over the race car rawness and purity of a base '69 Boss 302, the reality is that the American market has gotten too soft and comfort orientated to actually buy such a beast in any numbers sufficient to make it production viable. All but a few will quickly option it up with all manner of luxury items and tart it up with every peacock feather available to them.

Of course, Ford could throw a screwball and come out with a more iconically pure Boss 302 -- heavy on functional items only, spare in show off graphics and limited in available options -- a true driver's Boss rather than a poser's pony.
Well said my friend.
Old 8/10/10, 07:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dnr427
Depends on which Boss and what year. I'm old enough to have had the opportunity to have driven (or driven in) each type. If memory serves me right (and it's failing rapidly!), the '69 Boss 302 was the "street-legal race car". It was basically a stripped 6-cylinder model with the big-port Boss 302 engine the Trans-Am cars used, along with a close-ratio toploader, short-geared (4.11 or 4.30) 9" rear, special suspension, big (for the day) wheels and tires, and even radiused fender openings to clear them. It had the stripped 6 cylinder car's interior, there was no "shaker scoop", A/C, power steering or any other creature comforts (although you could get a radio). I knew someone who had one, and it was a TERRIBLE street car. The '70 Boss 302 got a more street-friendly small port (relatively speaking) cylinder head, upgraded (Mach I like) interior, shaker scoop, slats, wings, power options, etc., etc. It was a much better street car than the '69, but much further removed from the race car (the Trans-Am cars continued to use the '69's heads for instance). The '69-'70 Boss 429's were nothing more than homogulation specials to get the Boss 429 engine legal for NASCAR. While they were very special cars, from a performance standpoint, they got spanked by 428 CJ cars. Perhaps the best Boss "street car" was the '71 Boss 351. By now, Ford abandoned any pretense of a tie-in to the Trans-Am series, and simply concentrated on developing the fastest street car they could with the hardware they had available at the time. While it may be the least popular, it remains the fastest of the Boss Mustangs in street trim.

Hope that helps.
I'm a reader, not a poster, but I can't resist chiming in on Boss talk. I've been waiting for years for a SE Boss to come out. I previously owned a 70 B2 and have always been a Boss fanatic, but at the end of the day, it wasn't a very good street car by today's standards. My relatively stock at that time 99 GT could walk all over it.

Don't get me wrong it was a great car and super cool, but there's a lot of hype for it to live up to. Everything you ever heard about no bottom end torque is true. You could get a 3.50 (open or traction lok), a 3.91 trac lok or a 4.30 detroit locker. The toploader was available in close (very tall 1st gear) or wide ratio. My car had the 3.50 TL and the Close ratio, which was the worst combo for out of the hole or street driving. It would do 60 in first gear. Up over 4500 rpm, it started to pull hard and absolutey scream up to about 7000 rpm. I had the factory 6150 rev limiter but it wasn't hooked up. The solid lifter cam was like music. Boss 302's have a sound like no other muscle car.

I had power steering which was vague. I think manual steering would have felt much better. It handled pretty good. I put some Konis on it which helped a lot. Of course the 70's had the Hurst T handle shifter from the factory which was cool. I'd like to see that in the new Boss, but it probably won't happen.

Sadly, I sold it a few years ago when kids starting coming along. My consolation price was buying a Kenne Bell for my 99.

I want a new Boss. Bad.
Old 8/10/10, 07:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Good post Striker GT, and welcome to the site.
Old 8/10/10, 10:48 PM
V6 Member

I'll take manual Recaros, no NAV, no Sync, and no radio. And a Diet Coke. That will be "to go," please.
Old 8/10/10, 10:53 PM
Cobra R Member

I hope the recaro's are like that of the Evo X.

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 8/10/10 at 10:55 PM. Reason: link
Old 8/11/10, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Topnotch
Anyone Like Grabber Green?
Yes please!
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Boss 302-387.jpg  
Old 8/11/10, 05:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Ewww....
Old 8/11/10, 10:12 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah, besides their historical connection, I've never seen the appeal of most any of the Grabber colors. The only one that looks decent to my eye is Grabber Blue.
Old 8/11/10, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hope they don't use the stock GT spoiler and actually put on a wing one just the the 1st gen Saleen Heritage series.

Overall this car sounds like it won't dissappoint but please Ford get rid of all the SOUND DEADENING Thank you
Old 8/11/10, 12:14 PM
Cobra Member

Not long now but surprised nothing substantial has leaked out by this late stage.
Old 8/11/10, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
Not long now but surprised nothing substantial has leaked out by this late stage.
no journalist wants to risk their opportunity to have one for a test drive
Old 8/11/10, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
there have been massive leaks so far
Old 8/11/10, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by NeverNZ
Where?
Old 8/11/10, 01:01 PM
Cobra Member

Really?
Old 8/11/10, 01:04 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
there have been massive guesses/BS so far
Fixed
hahah
Old 8/11/10, 01:10 PM
FR500 Member

This just in, all BOSS 302's will only be available in Plum Crazy Purple with white interiors.
You read it here first, (and last)...

Old 8/11/10, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm interested to see how 'good' this BOSS will be.

It will affect which vehicle is my next, for sure.

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss 302