Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/10, 06:39 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LQQK
Maybe, if you said what you meant from the start instead of making people figure/decipher what you mean would help for the challenged (emphasis on myself).

LQQK
heheh I got it from the start.

Coles Notes (as mark explained)
Around that time if you saw that car, you knew the guy/gal bought it for a reason and you knew it meant business. No frills/bells...all business
Old 8/10/10, 07:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
so when does it become "ok" to spill the beans... Thursday afternoon?
Old 8/10/10, 07:25 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by codeman94
so when does it become "ok" to spill the beans... Thursday afternoon?
12:01am Friday morning...
Old 8/10/10, 07:28 AM

is their a "leak clause" in that agreement?

lets say someone in the world leaks the story Thursday morning and its all over the net by 10am... are you still sworn to secrecy till Friday?... or can you tell us all you know if the jig is already up?
Old 8/10/10, 07:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure is going to be an exciting day to see the Boss come back to life and in the state this car will be in (based on info posted in this thread and the speculation). Kudos to Ford!!
Old 8/10/10, 08:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer

By comparison, Id say the Bullitt was propped up GT, and the Mach1 was a solid axled 01 cobra...by comparison that this SE is more its own vehicle.....=
Put THAT in yer pipe and smoke it
Well, I am not sure understand the comparison fully, as in the most technical sense, both vehicles had unique powertrain and suspension parts that were developed for those cars first and exclusively ('01 Bullitt - engine tuning, shocks/springs; intake manifold, exhaust; Mach 1 - springs, air induction system, engine tuning and intake cams).

So if the new Boss has more parts in that vein, along with other features that distinguish it from the GT and GT500 driving experiences, at a "reasonable" price, then the success in the marketplace will be high.

The countdown continues...
Old 8/10/10, 08:52 AM

Oh my gosh. All these posts in one DAY! I can't wait til Friday!

Are we there yet?
How 'bout now?
I gotta pee...lol.

Honestly though, this sounds like it's going to be the be-all-end-all of the factory SE Mustang. I can't wait. I'm just a little concerned that I will get my hopes up too high and be dissapointed. I doubt I will, but I'm a little concerned. Nonetheless, I will do everything within my financial powers to own one. This just means that I will be using my current '10 GT500 as a fun car for town and trips, and the Boss for the track! What an amazing world (country--Go USA!) we live in! 'Cuz I tell you what, there ain't NOTHING like this where I'm at right now, that's for darn sure!

Oh! I'm so excited. How bout now?
Old 8/10/10, 09:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

I need a brief Mustang history lesson. Where the old Boss Mustangs stripped down cars made strickly for performance or could you get all the bells and whistles offered? From what I could tell looking at them at shows they seemed to have the same features as the other Mustangs. Then again their wasn't as much variety back then.
Old 8/10/10, 09:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone Like Grabber Green?
Old 8/10/10, 09:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://shop.auto-morphosis.com/2010-...0-Boss-302.htm
Old 8/10/10, 09:28 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TN, once again you're swirling the pot....
Old 8/10/10, 09:35 AM

Id like grabbergreen!

Last edited by codeman94; 8/10/10 at 12:07 PM.
Old 8/10/10, 10:09 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't get the people all hot and bothered....

over a dealership tape/stripe job
Old 8/10/10, 10:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
I need a brief Mustang history lesson. Where the old Boss Mustangs stripped down cars made strickly for performance or could you get all the bells and whistles offered? From what I could tell looking at them at shows they seemed to have the same features as the other Mustangs. Then again their wasn't as much variety back then.
Depends on which Boss and what year. I'm old enough to have had the opportunity to have driven (or driven in) each type. If memory serves me right (and it's failing rapidly!), the '69 Boss 302 was the "street-legal race car". It was basically a stripped 6-cylinder model with the big-port Boss 302 engine the Trans-Am cars used, along with a close-ratio toploader, short-geared (4.11 or 4.30) 9" rear, special suspension, big (for the day) wheels and tires, and even radiused fender openings to clear them. It had the stripped 6 cylinder car's interior, there was no "shaker scoop", A/C, power steering or any other creature comforts (although you could get a radio). I knew someone who had one, and it was a TERRIBLE street car. The '70 Boss 302 got a more street-friendly small port (relatively speaking) cylinder head, upgraded (Mach I like) interior, shaker scoop, slats, wings, power options, etc., etc. It was a much better street car than the '69, but much further removed from the race car (the Trans-Am cars continued to use the '69's heads for instance). The '69-'70 Boss 429's were nothing more than homogulation specials to get the Boss 429 engine legal for NASCAR. While they were very special cars, from a performance standpoint, they got spanked by 428 CJ cars. Perhaps the best Boss "street car" was the '71 Boss 351. By now, Ford abandoned any pretense of a tie-in to the Trans-Am series, and simply concentrated on developing the fastest street car they could with the hardware they had available at the time. While it may be the least popular, it remains the fastest of the Boss Mustangs in street trim.

Hope that helps.
Old 8/10/10, 12:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

For me it sounds like the 71 was my kind of car. However, it seems like this Boss is more 69 given what has been posted.
Old 8/10/10, 12:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
All aluminum 6.2 punched to 7.0...Boss 427?

I know I know, that's not it, OR historically correct, but it has a nice ring to it.
Old 8/10/10, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

This car is just PURE SEX!!!!!!!!!!

Old 8/10/10, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by bpmurr
As others have mentioned, the original Boss, the Boss 302 and perhaps the most iconic, was basically a homologation car, i.e., a "production" version of a race car built in sufficient numbers to allow the full race version to be competed. The "little" motor was basically a marriage of a 4-bolt main 302 block with the big port Cleveland 4bbl heads, which had huge ports and valves suitable for a healthy big block motor. The upside was that is had great peak power potential. The downside was that this potential was a bit untapped in its stock tune and needed a lot of revs to really get on the boil. Another upside was that this was a relatively light motor compared to the its big block drag racer brethren and thus allowed the Boss to be a much more balanced and fully fleshed out performance car rather than a one-trick pony quarter miler, one that could handle the corners and stops rather than just quick straight line wind sprints. The Boss 302 was as much a handling package as a hot motor.

The basic Boss came fairly stripped down with all the performance goodies -- motor, tranny and suspension basically -- though it could be tarted up from there. I think '70 offered even more baubles than the '69, which were mostly decorative filigrees but with the possible exception of the functional shaker hood and real front and rear spoilers.

The Boss 429 was kind of an odd beast in a way, basically a homologation platform for the semi-hemi 429 motor to be used in NASCAR racing. In some ways, that motor was a bit like its little 302 brother in that it was more of a detuned, high rpm race motor that was a bit out of its element on the street, especially if your intentions were limited to drag racing. Hence, the old standby 428CJ could pretty much smoke it in a drag race in stock trim. Now, tune it up properly and the monster 429 could eviscerate pretty much anything else. It too was pretty stripped down with very discreet graphics, in stark contrast to the show boat Mach I, and could only be had with limited options.

The Boss 351 was in some ways the best of the breed, being specifically developed as a street only vehicle with what I think was one of the best motors of the era, the Boss 351. While the '71 Stang was getting ever bigger, fatter and more bunker like -- hmmmm, sounds familiar to today's world -- the overall excellence of the 351 still prevailed and provided what was the best balanced and overall capable performance model in the Mustang barn that year.

I suspect that in character, a neo Boss 302 would more likely reflect the Boss 351 in overall character than the more rough and raw original 302, though perhaps with graphic elements more inspired by the '69 or '70 (they differed both years). While some may wax nostalgic over the race car rawness and purity of a base '69 Boss 302, the reality is that the American market has gotten too soft and comfort orientated to actually buy such a beast in any numbers sufficient to make it production viable. All but a few will quickly option it up with all manner of luxury items and tart it up with every peacock feather available to them.

Of course, Ford could throw a screwball and come out with a more iconically pure Boss 302 -- heavy on functional items only, spare in show off graphics and limited in available options -- a true driver's Boss rather than a poser's pony.

Last edited by rhumb; 8/10/10 at 01:36 PM.
Old 8/10/10, 01:30 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by todd03blown
This car is just PURE SEX!!!!!!!!!!

Old 8/10/10, 01:31 PM
V6 Member

Nice car...no doubt. Funny how the '70 Boss 302 used to be my favorite Mustang. Now though, if I were to build a "fakey-doo" (I could never afford a real one), it would be a '69. It might not be as pretty as the '70, but it just seems to have a certain no-compromise edginess to it, is far more rare, and is the car with the direct Trans-Am pedigree.

2012 Boss 302-69-boss-302.jpg

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss 302