Search this Thread

Old 8/9/10, 01:39 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Maybe just a little bit...
Old 8/9/10, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is "only" going to have 430 hp, a nominal uptick from the current 412, it sounds more akin to the Bullitt in terms of content upgrades, i.e., minor engine tune, suspension tuning and requisite tape stripes and trim bits. Thus, it ought to have a Bullitt'ish price premium which, if I recall, was something like 3 grand. Thus, the Boss ought to base at about $33K, which sounds reasonable.

Of course, if they do put in a lot more bespoke bits and pieces, well, who knows, maybe mid to upper 30s before they start getting too close to the (overpriced) GT500.

Remember, too, that the Stang now has a lot more direct competition than, say, when they brought out the GT500 and thus can't be as bloated with their pricing. Chevy has a small arsenal of up-power motors they could stick into the Camaro, Dodge is apparently uprating the Challenger's engine bay for '11 and there still are rumors of Hyundai finally getting serious and dropping their own 5.0 in the Genesis Coupe.
Old 8/9/10, 01:55 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
If it is "only" going to have 430 hp, a nominal uptick from the current 412, it sounds more akin to the Bullitt in terms of content upgrades, i.e., minor engine tune, suspension tuning and requisite tape stripes and trim bits. Thus, it ought to have a Bullitt'ish price premium which, if I recall, was something like 3 grand. Thus, the Boss ought to base at about $33K, which sounds reasonable.

Of course, if they do put in a lot more bespoke bits and pieces, well, who knows, maybe mid to upper 30s before they start getting too close to the (overpriced) GT500.

Remember, too, that the Stang now has a lot more direct competition than, say, when they brought out the GT500 and thus can't be as bloated with their pricing. Chevy has a small arsenal of up-power motors they could stick into the Camaro, Dodge is apparently uprating the Challenger's engine bay for '11 and there still are rumors of Hyundai finally getting serious and dropping their own 5.0 in the Genesis Coupe.
Yes, but at the same time, the Chally & Camaro have no direct competitor to the Boss.

You're going to have to think a little outside the box and not use the past SEs as a forecast for what the 302 will have done. Needless to say, it won't disappoint.
Old 8/9/10, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
Might be perfect timing...
I had heard the '12's would be released later in the year, back to a more "normal" schedule than the '10 and '11 releases? I heard it on the interwebz so it has to be true...
Old 8/9/10, 01:57 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A true SE, not just a stripe package like the Bullitt ...
huh?

Originally Posted by 94gt
Oh wait you must mean the extremely hard too find Bullitt that was for sale at every other dealership in 08-09.
In hindsight it is safe to say the only reason the B extended into 09 was our Saudi friend's $4 gas and the Great Implosion. Even with the extended run, they did not reach their intended 7700 (US & CA). The complete run totalled 6500 and change.

The B was WAY more than an appearance package and was NOT mass marketed. Many of the B's handling and engine innovations are in the 10 and even the 11 GT's.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/9/10 at 02:03 PM.
Old 8/9/10, 02:06 PM
BOSS Member

[QUOTE=cdynaco;5926022]huh?

Did you NOT read my post a couple down from that one? I said it was a figure of speech. Wow, you Bullitt owners get pretty defensive over your cars. What do you got, a green one?
Old 8/9/10, 02:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
I had heard the '12's would be released later in the year, back to a more "normal" schedule than the '10 and '11 releases? I heard it on the interwebz so it has to be true...
The '12's build start date is the 2nd week of Jan 2011 if I remember correctly based on PT's post.
Old 8/9/10, 02:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Needless to say, it won't disappoint.
Sweet!! Wish you could spill some of the beans now
Old 8/9/10, 02:24 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by todd03blown
The '12's build start date is the 2nd week of Jan 2011 if I remember correctly based on PT's post.
That's what I thought as well. We could see 2012s on lots by March 2011.

Originally Posted by todd03blown
Sweet!! Wish you could spill some of the beans now
It's gonna be a good Friday the 13th
Old 8/9/10, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

That's what I thought as well. We could see 2012s on lots by March 2011.

It's gonna be a good Friday the 13th
Amen Overboost!!!
Old 8/9/10, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

You're going to have to think a little outside the box and not use the past SEs as a forecast for what the 302 will have done. Needless to say, it won't disappoint.

Hmmm, let's take a look at the 302R for guidance. The advertised upgrades to the are:

Seam welded chassis
Wheels
Fuel Cell
Koni adjustable shocks
Adjustable sway bar
Multimatic 3 Link
Race prepped TR6060
Torsen TR2
Aluminum Radiator
Oil Cooler
Special Exhaust
Recaro race seat

My guess is the street car follows this pattern of upgrades. The recaros would be a little different (plus there would be two of them), the wheels would be different but unique and Ford would remove the adjustable shocks/sways (insert production style special spring and shock tuning) and fuel cell and there it is. Could it be possible that Ford is going to use the seam welded chassis? Would make for a compelling story/nice marketing and something not easily duplicated by enthusiasts.

The best special addition cars are those were the standard version cannot be upgraded with the same components. If Ford gives the Boss the chassis and the Multimatic suspension parts it would definitely fit this. I can hear it now "Ford starts with the Race winning 302R and then...".
Old 8/9/10, 02:38 PM
Bullitt Member

[quote=LagunaBeach;5926027]
Originally Posted by cdynaco
huh?

What do you got, a green one?

wow, lol.
Old 8/9/10, 02:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
First of all, Charliehorse is known to be more than your average Bullitt eccentric...

But, if you want to go around making such bold (and completely incorrect) statements such as "the Bullitt and Mach 1 were nothing more than tape/stripe/badge jobs", then you a) should expect the outlas, 2) think a little longer before hitting submit, and D) expect that your credibility will be questioned.

You want to talk about tape stripe SEs? Talk 35th/40th Anniversary Editions, Centennial Edition, Cobra 10th Anniversary Edition. NOT Bullitt or Mach 1.

/off my soapbox now.

Carry on y'all....
Old 8/9/10, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

What do you think?
i think that looks like alot more air for only an 18 hp bump 430ish seems a bit low looking at that hardware
Old 8/9/10, 03:12 PM
BOSS Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
First of all, Charliehorse is known to be more than your average Bullitt eccentric...

But, if you want to go around making such bold (and completely incorrect) statements such as "the Bullitt and Mach 1 were nothing more than tape/stripe/badge jobs", then you a) should expect the outlas, 2) think a little longer before hitting submit, and D) expect that your credibility will be questioned.

You want to talk about tape stripe SEs? Talk 35th/40th Anniversary Editions, Centennial Edition, Cobra 10th Anniversary Edition. NOT Bullitt or Mach 1.

/off my soapbox now.

Carry on y'all....
Wow! Sorry to all the Bullitt and Mach owners, it was only meant to serve as a reference to how different the Boss will be. More than some springs, trim bits and a special color.

I realize everyone is a little on edge with anticipation, but I meant no harm.
Old 8/9/10, 03:13 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by xlover
i think that looks like alot more air for only an 18 hp bump 430ish seems a bit low looking at that hardware
Who said 430 was the correct HP rating?
Old 8/9/10, 03:24 PM
BOSS Member

Originally Posted by xlover
Why do people get so hung up on numbers before even seeing the car? If I'm not mistaken, the GT is underrated, so....
Old 8/9/10, 03:28 PM
GTR Member

I'm surprised more info hasn't leaked out about the finer details of this car. There's a lot to talk about.
Old 8/9/10, 03:29 PM
BOSS Member

I'm surprised more info hasn't leaked out about the finer details of this car. There's a lot to talk about.
That's what happens when the media isn't involved!
Old 8/9/10, 03:33 PM
GTR Member

That's what happens when the media isn't involved!
True, but if this is going to drop on the 13th, then the media outlets are already looking at the embargo info, and are still playing dumb about it. Not to mention all of the hints that were dropped, like the '70 302 rolling out on stage during the dealers meeting, certain cues on the 302R that were close to production, etc.

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss 302