2012-2013 BOSS 302

1 Day old boss 302 with BLOWN motor???

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/11, 11:43 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just nosing around.....................

I know you dont know me (I'm no big deal anyway) but I can assure you that you’re in good hands and you will be taken care of. There are a lot of eyes on this Boss program. It sounds like an assembley line error (guessing at this point). The hose was most likely attached but not secured properly and the full throttle runs may have popped the hose off. As mentioned in this thread, before really bad things happen it will kill power, chime at you about the overheat etc.

Your baby is gonna be fine and the risk of actual damage from your unfortunate experience is cataclysmically small. You can sleep well.
your in good hands and you will be taken care of. I am willing to bet $5 that they wont need to change any parts on your car after the check into it (maybe a hose connector but thats all, if even that) Thats just my prediction, for what it's worth.

Again welcome to TMS, stay a while its a cool place filled with a lot of good info.

Last edited by Stinger1982; 4/18/11 at 11:49 PM.
Old 4/19/11, 01:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

I find this whole story posted by Boss Rx to be kind of fishy. He states he bought a Boss with black stripes, yet he says coolant got on the front splitter. If the Boss had a front splitter it would be a Boss LS. However, Boss LS only have red stripes.
Boss Rx says the coolant line to the oil cooler fell off. What ? I have never seen an oil cooler with coolant lines going to it. Usually, oil coolers are like a small radiator with oil flowing thru them. There appear to be too many errors in the post by Boss Rx. Hoax ? ?
Old 4/19/11, 02:05 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I find this whole story posted by Boss Rx to be kind of fishy. He states he bought a Boss with black stripes, yet he says coolant got on the front splitter. If the Boss had a front splitter it would be a Boss LS. However, Boss LS only have red stripes.
Boss Rx says the coolant line to the oil cooler fell off. What ? I have never seen an oil cooler with coolant lines going to it. Usually, oil coolers are like a small radiator with oil flowing thru them. There appear to be too many errors in the post by Boss Rx. Hoax ? ?

Ever seen the oil cooler on a SSP Mustang?
Old 4/19/11, 02:18 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean#4AI
I've been told by a Ford Engineer that it does go into Limp mode around the 250 degree mark. The lack of power is probably due to the limp mode. Considering you shut it off pretty quick, I'll bet there was no damage.
That is exactly what I was thinking. If I understand it correctly, the ECU shuts off fuel and spark to several cylinders so its pumping cool air into these cylinders to bring block and head temps down pronto! Its in the 4.6 owners manual so I'm sure its the same on the 5.0.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/19/11 at 02:20 AM.
Old 4/19/11, 04:51 AM
FR500 Member

All Boss' have splitters. Most have a small one, the LS's have a bigger one.
The oil cooler on the Boss is a coolant to oil heat exchanger, and is actually designed to work both ways, heating the oil with the coolant as the car warms up. It mounts in place of the stock oil filter mount, and has two coolant lines that connect to it from the lower radiator hose. It is at the left in the attached picture.

EDIT: Here is the illustration from the parts site. Note the cooler in the illustration is different than the one on the counter...
Attached Thumbnails 1 Day old boss 302 with BLOWN motor???-engine1.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by PTRocks; 4/19/11 at 06:44 AM.
Old 4/19/11, 04:55 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
That is exactly what I was thinking. If I understand it correctly, the ECU shuts off fuel and spark to several cylinders so its pumping cool air into these cylinders to bring block and head temps down pronto! Its in the 4.6 owners manual so I'm sure its the same on the 5.0.
Here is the page from the 5.0 service manual that describes the cylinder head temperature sensor and its function.

Originally Posted by 2011 Service Manual
The CHT sensor is installed in the cylinder head and measures the metal temperature. The CHT sensor provides complete engine temperature information and is used to infer coolant temperature. If the CHT sensor conveys an overheating condition to the PCM, the PCM initiates a fail-safe cooling strategy based on information from the CHT sensor. A cooling system concern, such as low coolant or coolant loss, could cause an overheating condition. As a result, damage to major engine components could occur. Using both the CHT sensor and fail-safe cooling strategy, the PCM prevents damage by allowing air cooling of the engine and limp home capability.
The part in bold would indicate that if overheating, the engine will likely run as a 4-cylinder engine.

Last edited by PTRocks; 4/19/11 at 04:59 AM.
Old 4/19/11, 05:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GT_350
OK, these are engines, not motors.......

Well, Our Bosses or Mustangs for that matter do not have an Engine Coolant Sensor (ECT) sensor.

Sensors that are mounted in coolant will not measure temperature if there is a loss of coolant!

So the ECM would not have any data........

So Ford Engineering has put in a Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT)sensor which is more accurate than any sensor located in a fluid, the CHT sensor measures the heat in direct proportion to the cylinder head temperature (Metal to Metal).

This sensor is located in a dry hole on the head itself.

If there is a situation where the head reaches a certain temperature the ECM driven by a signal from the sensor goes into Failsafe Mode, pulling timing, and deactivating cylinders.

If the engine temperature continues to rise the engine then shuts itself down BEFORE damage occurs.

That is for a loss of coolant, if the bock is ventilated because of a rod, or the engine oil is contaminated by coolant that's a different matter!

Hope there was only a loss of coolant!
Man,,,That makes me feel good for the OP as well as Ford looking out for us.

I'm still new around here, but, I gotta ask, Where did you find this information (Connection to Ford)?
Old 4/19/11, 05:30 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by LQQK

I'm still new around here, but, I gotta ask, Where did you find this information (Connection to Ford)?
See my post right above.
Old 4/19/11, 05:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
See my post right above.
Thanks, I posted before reading newer post's--->
Old 4/19/11, 06:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man, if you are going to call someone out you should gets the facts straight first ... just sayin
Old 4/19/11, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LQQK

Cars have always been a hobby.

Drag raced Buick GN’s, then when the Bullitt came out I got interested in Mustangs and jumped on board…….

I started open tracking, about 6 years ago because I can't afford a mechanic or taking my car to a shop I read the manuals, yes they are interesting………to me anyway! And read any other factual books and talked the ears off of engineers/mechanics for race teams at races.......

I'm no smarter than anyone else but I try not to say anything unless I know it's a fact.

I do know some guys in the Industry but it’s not like I can call up Clay Ford……..
Old 4/19/11, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GT_350
Cars have always been a hobby.

Drag raced Buick GN’s, then when the Bullitt came out I got interested in Mustangs and jumped on board…….

I started open tracking, about 6 years ago because I can't afford a mechanic or taking my car to a shop I read the manuals, yes they are interesting………to me anyway! And read any other factual books and talked the ears off of engineers/mechanics for race teams at races.......

I'm no smarter than anyone else but I try not to say anything unless I know it's a fact.

I do know some guys in the Industry but it’s not like I can call up Clay Ford……..
Thanks for sharing--->
Old 4/19/11, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Old 4/19/11, 08:26 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

All Boss' have splitters. Most have a small one, the LS's have a bigger one.
The oil cooler on the Boss is a coolant to oil heat exchanger, and is actually designed to work both ways, heating the oil with the coolant as the car warms up. It mounts in place of the stock oil filter mount, and has two coolant lines that connect to it from the lower radiator hose. It is at the left in the attached picture.

EDIT: Here is the illustration from the parts site. Note the cooler in the illustration is different than the one on the counter...
the cooler in the illustration is correct, NOT the one in the photo
Old 4/19/11, 08:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm surprised by this design (coolant pass-through cooler)...

I would have thought it would be a "typical" oil-to-air two/three-row cooler further up in the nose.

I guess this way the burden from the additional heat of the oil is absorbed into the car's normal cooling system and large front radiator.
Old 4/19/11, 08:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford has some history with that oil to water heat exchanger. They used back in the turbo SVO days.
Old 4/19/11, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

EDIT: Here is the illustration from the parts site. ..
Can I have the link to this "parts site"? Thanks
Old 4/19/11, 11:45 AM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Everett

You will be long dead before this car is a collectors item. Your children may benefit if they sell it once your pushing a bush full of daisies. I know your pissed and I would be too however maybe it will be even more collectible because it's the only one that blew up. Keep all the paperwork from ford when they put in the new coyote so your kids can have it documented that ford fixed it. I feel for you,I really do. You bought the baddest mustang you can buy and it choked on ya. Try to get some rest so when you get to the dealership someone doesn't get killed.

www.********** we encourage kill stories
Yeah.., that's crazy.,, sorry to hear that. I would love a BOSS
Old 4/19/11, 11:53 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
Can I have the link to this "parts site"? Thanks
www.fordparts.com
Old 4/19/11, 12:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

My apology to Boss Rx, but I find it kind of strange why someone would buy a Boss as a collectable and then have the headlights changed to HID. Most 20 year olds take lots of pictures of their car the day they get it. Not knowing the Vin number seemed kind of strange. It seams strange that Boss Rx did not drive the car for a few hundred miles before having the HID headlights installed. With that said, I appreciate all the posts in response to my post. We all learn by tossing around information.

Quick Reply: 1 Day old boss 302 with BLOWN motor???