2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Seen in person - All doubts dispelled

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/14, 08:23 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss 0960
I usually prefer the plainer style of the V6 models. I'm completely OK with the Boss being mistaken for a V6 from behind. I also had an '01 Cobra which was much more plain and simple than the GT's of it's time. A year later, the V6 got the '01 Cobra reverse scoop hood as it's stock hood. I've never been a fan of scoops, spoilers, etc. I don't care for the GT grill fog lights, either. There was one guy on the forums (can't remember his screen name off hand) who bought a white Boss and peeled off the stripes. It strongly resembled a V6 except that the Boss does not have holes in the fenders where the Pony or GT emblems are placed. That's a modern sleeper. Back to the topic of this thread, what was it again? Oh yeah, the 2015 Mustang. I'm not sure how much visual differentiation there is between the base V6, Ecoboost and the GT. I know there are some differences that an aficionado could easily detect but other than the badges and rear valance, I'm not sure that the new Mustang GT will stand out over the V6 and Ecoboost to the general public. I remember some years back where GT owners were complaining that the GT looked too close to the V6 and wanted more visual differentiation. I wonder if that will be the case with the 2015.
Most definitely, there is nothing substantial to differentiate the GT, V6, and ecoboost. This is what I do not like.
Old 9/19/14, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Most definitely, there is nothing substantial to differentiate the GT, V6, and ecoboost. This is what I do not like.
The grill fangs on the GT are pretty obvious IMO.
Old 9/19/14, 11:37 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I've got 3 words for you five point oh
Old 9/19/14, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Personally, I've seen 2 in Toronto now - one at the film fest (Ruby Red), and one in front of the ACC (Race Red).

I could not tell which trim they were. Mind you, I don't know what cues to look for.

With the 2014, it IS pretty obvious what's what. 5.0 on the side? GT. Nothing on the side? V6. Little cobras everywhere? WATCH OUT.
Old 9/19/14, 01:31 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase

With the 2014, it IS pretty obvious what's what. 5.0 on the side? GT. Nothing on the side? V6. Little cobras everywhere? WATCH OUT.
Pretty easy to tell on the 15.

GT has 5.0 on the side and GT on the rear. Plus heat extractors on the hood.
Grille has the fangs.

V6 has rear badge tri-pony on the trunk

Eco has the pony (not tribar)

All run different wheels. And the performance packs are coloured black.
Premium models have the black rear diffuser. Others have body colour.

Yes I know its not physically different body wise like before.
GT and V6 having more physical differences.
But you still can tell if you know where to quickly look

Last edited by Boomer; 9/19/14 at 01:33 PM.
Old 9/19/14, 01:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VidPro
I agree under those circumstances that you'll probably see hairline scratches. It's the nature of anything plastic and shiny. The question is how does it look under normal lighting?
Here it is in direct sunlight, as close as I could get with my iPhone. There are some tiny scratches on the tail lights. I would have to pull out my Canon T1i with the macro lens to show them to you. When I get the next coat of wax on the car, they should be entirely invisible, even in direct sunlight. The center valance looks great, though.

Name:  F3D530A8-3254-48A6-B512-A4AD22EE52A7.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  41.7 KB
Old 9/19/14, 02:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Here it is in direct sunlight, as close as I could get with my iPhone. There are some tiny scratches on the tail lights. I would have to pull out my Canon T1i with the macro lens to show them to you. When I get the next coat of wax on the car, they should be entirely invisible, even in direct sunlight. The center valance looks great, though.
My decklid looks like yours. My taillights look like yours. To me, my taillights are unacceptable. I've used various last stage polishes to improve the appearance, but they're not perfect.
Old 9/19/14, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Pretty easy to tell on the 15.

GT has 5.0 on the side and GT on the rear. Plus heat extractors on the hood.
Grille has the fangs.

V6 has rear badge tri-pony on the trunk

Eco has the pony (not tribar)

All run different wheels. And the performance packs are coloured black.
Premium models have the black rear diffuser. Others have body colour.

Yes I know its not physically different body wise like before.
GT and V6 having more physical differences.
But you still can tell if you know where to quickly look
Thanks. Then the two I've seen were both Ecoboosts (which are essentially plain looking in terms of badges).

Last edited by Mrsuitcase; 9/19/14 at 03:08 PM.
Old 9/19/14, 11:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
My decklid looks like yours. My taillights look like yours. To me, my taillights are unacceptable. I've used various last stage polishes to improve the appearance, but they're not perfect.
Since I took that picture in direct sunlight, my tail lights appear much worse than the last time I looked closely at them and it got me to thinking. My dealership "washed" my car for me but I think they washed it with mud. When I opened my door, I found dried mud at the bottom of the door sills as shown in the photo below. Before this "wash", or should I call it a mudbath, I had never noticed any hairline scratches in the paint or on the tail lights. Now I notice both. Nothing like taking your car to a dealer to have it destroyed.

This is the left over, dried mud from the water they washed my Boss with.

Name:  7F9CF05B-4468-4EC9-BFC3-261F52A89D9A.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  93.1 KB
Old 9/19/14, 11:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Since I took that picture in direct sunlight, my tail lights appear much worse than the last time I looked closely at them and it got me to thinking. My dealership "washed" my car for me but I think they washed it with mud. When I opened my door, I found dried mud at the bottom of the door sills as shown in the photo below. Before this "wash", or should I call it a mudbath, I had never noticed any hairline scratches in the paint or on the tail lights. Now I notice both. Nothing like taking your car to a dealer to have it destroyed. This is the left over, dried mud from the water they washed my Boss with.
I had my first oil change done last week. Luckily one of my best friends is a service advisor at a Ford dealer...it's just that he's almost 100 miles away. I explicitly told them not to wash it. There was no oil residue on my coil covers and the car was filled with 5w-50. Nothing like being happy that the correct stuff was done to your car at the dealer right? Hah
Old 9/20/14, 12:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I had my first oil change done last week. Luckily one of my best friends is a service advisor at a Ford dealer...it's just that he's almost 100 miles away. I explicitly told them not to wash it. There was no oil residue on my coil covers and the car was filled with 5w-50. Nothing like being happy that the correct stuff was done to your car at the dealer right? Hah
I didn't even suspect that they would wash it. I never had a dealer wash one of my cars in the 20 years since I bought my first new Ford. Who would have guessed that the first time they did, they would bugger it up?
Old 9/20/14, 07:46 AM
Cobra Member

I gave the Boss a quick wash today since it had to spend a couple of weeks outside while the garage was loaded with construction material. Here is a quick photo of my Boss' rear panel and tail lights. Next month, the Boss will be two years old. All you can see when looking closely are the reflections of trees. There's not a scratch anywhere. I hope the photo shows up large enough to show this well.

What wax/method do you use?
Old 9/20/14, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
I use Turtle Wax Ice Wax. I was a large panel or a couple of small panels. I go back and remove the wax once it's dry. Then I move on to the next section. I don't leave the wax on very long. Ice Wax seems to be very durable, barring the damage caused by dealership monkeys that literally wash your car with mud.

The best part of the Ice Wax is that it can be used on every part of the car. It's good for Boss stripes, matte black spoilers, rough finish black plastic, rubber, windows, etc. No matter where you use it, it dries without any white residue.
Old 9/20/14, 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
Wax on, wax off…
Old 9/21/14, 07:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Since I took that picture in direct sunlight, my tail lights appear much worse than the last time I looked closely at them and it got me to thinking. My dealership "washed" my car for me but I think they washed it with mud. When I opened my door, I found dried mud at the bottom of the door sills as shown in the photo below. Before this "wash", or should I call it a mudbath, I had never noticed any hairline scratches in the paint or on the tail lights. Now I notice both. Nothing like taking your car to a dealer to have it destroyed.

This is the left over, dried mud from the water they washed my Boss with.

Some of the cheaper auto-washes recycle the water to save on costs. I've never seen that much dirt from a car wash though. That's awful. Sorry about that. I'd have a chat with your dealer.