2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

How's the radio?

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/14, 10:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How's the radio?

New audio systems are becoming incredibly hard and expensive to replace. If the '15 has a great sounding audio system with Sync that actually works, I might consider trading for a '15. I don't feel the need to trade my '13 Boss 302 on a '15 for any performance upgrade but it has a really terrible audio system. The only solution for Sync is to replace it (imho). If the factory audio system on the '15 sounds great, the couple thousand dollars that I would otherwise spend on installing the Maestro kit, head unit, speakers and amps might be better used trading the Boss on a '15 with similar performance and a decent stereo/Sync system.

On the other hand, if the audio system in the '15 sounds terrible, it may be impossible to upgrade or replace. In the photos of the dash, it appears that the audio controls are way more integrated than previous models. Having a terrible audio system with no upgrade path is a deal breaker for me.

I have taken my Boss on a 12 hour each way trip with the stock audio system. It was a terrible experience but at least I know the Maestro kit can fix it. Music is very important to me. Other performance factors being similar between the Boss and the '15, audio quality and the performance of the new Sync may be the tipping point in any trade-in decision, accounting for the couple thousand dollars I could save by not replacing the entire audio system in the Boss.
Old 1/5/14, 01:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can we all wait for the car to be out and people are actually driving it before asking this types of questions. No even reviewers had a chance to even seat on it. How the hell anybody will be able to tell you how good the sound system is?
Old 1/5/14, 05:07 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I think the radio will be good. The first thing i did to my Shaker 500 in my 2011 was replace all the speakers with better ones
Old 1/5/14, 06:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss 0960
New audio systems are becoming incredibly hard and expensive to replace. If the '15 has a great sounding audio system with Sync that actually works, I might consider trading for a '15. I don't feel the need to trade my '13 Boss 302 on a '15 for any performance upgrade but it has a really terrible audio system. The only solution for Sync is to replace it (imho). If the factory audio system on the '15 sounds great, the couple thousand dollars that I would otherwise spend on installing the Maestro kit, head unit, speakers and amps might be better used trading the Boss on a '15 with similar performance and a decent stereo/Sync system.

On the other hand, if the audio system in the '15 sounds terrible, it may be impossible to upgrade or replace. In the photos of the dash, it appears that the audio controls are way more integrated than previous models. Having a terrible audio system with no upgrade path is a deal breaker for me.

I have taken my Boss on a 12 hour each way trip with the stock audio system. It was a terrible experience but at least I know the Maestro kit can fix it. Music is very important to me. Other performance factors being similar between the Boss and the '15, audio quality and the performance of the new Sync may be the tipping point in any trade-in decision, accounting for the couple thousand dollars I could save by not replacing the entire audio system in the Boss.

I had a mild upgrade done to the sound system in the BOSS I used to own. It really helped the sound...I'm sure some sort of upgrade will be necessary, for me, when I get a S550.

List of main parts on upgrade to the 12 BOSS
2 pair Alpine spr-68
Alpine mrx-m50 sub-woofer amp
Boston gt-40 4 channel amp for alpine 6x8 speakers
JL Stealthbox for mustang
JL 13w3v3-2 sub-woofer
ASC sound deading
4 channel line level converter to add system to factory cd player
Pac level controller for sub-woofer amp

Old 1/5/14, 07:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't trade a Boss in just to get a better radio. The aftermarket is going to be better than anything the factory offers.
Old 1/5/14, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Thomas S
I wouldn't trade a Boss in just to get a better radio. The aftermarket is going to be better than anything the factory offers.

That's always true. But I know what Boss 0960 is saying. A factory stereo (if done right) looks like it belongs with the rest of the dash/console. I think a factory audio system is preferable to an aftermarket system in that regard, especially if it's a good system.

We don't know much about the new Mustang Sync system, but we do know some things. For instance, we know there will be redundant physical *****, so you can either use the touchscreen control or the traditional ***** and buttons.

I hope there are controls on the steering wheel too. I never had them before, but I recently got a Mini Cooper as a second car and it has the audio controls on the back of the steering wheel. It is so convenient that I never use the dash buttons and ***** any more. Ever. If the Mustang had that feature, that would be another advantage of having a factory audio system.
Old 1/5/14, 09:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

I always order the least expensive radio Ford offers in the Mustang. I have never been disappointed with any of them.
Old 1/5/14, 10:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

New audio systems are becoming incredibly hard and expensive to replace. If the '15 has a great sounding audio system with Sync that actually works, I might consider trading for a '15. I don't feel the need to trade my '13 Boss 302 on a '15 for any performance upgrade but it has a really terrible audio system. The only solution for Sync is to replace it (imho). If the factory audio system on the '15 sounds great, the couple thousand dollars that I would otherwise spend on installing the Maestro kit, head unit, speakers and amps might be better used trading the Boss on a '15 with similar performance and a decent stereo/Sync system. On the other hand, if the audio system in the '15 sounds terrible, it may be impossible to upgrade or replace. In the photos of the dash, it appears that the audio controls are way more integrated than previous models. Having a terrible audio system with no upgrade path is a deal breaker for me. I have taken my Boss on a 12 hour each way trip with the stock audio system. It was a terrible experience but at least I know the Maestro kit can fix it. Music is very important to me. Other performance factors being similar between the Boss and the '15, audio quality and the performance of the new Sync may be the tipping point in any trade-in decision, accounting for the couple thousand dollars I could save by not replacing the entire audio system in the Boss.
If you are satisfied with the performance of your boss, then according to Dave pericak they are hoping to beat the boss performance with the 2015 track pack gt. Which you should be able to get all the options on vs the no frills boss. So you can match or beat your lap times with the subs boomin and cooled seats keeping your rear on ice!! The boss is a special car but i love the idea of getting the best of both worlds.
Old 1/6/14, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I struggled with writing the original post because I didn't really know exactly what I wanted to express. In the past, I didn't worry too much about which radio came with a car because they could be swapped out for aftermarket fairly easily. However, over the last several years that is no longer true. I've bought a couple of the expensive modules for other cars that are required to maintain the steering wheel controls and warning buzzers but that is no longer enough. The Boss has the Maestro system that can do the job but the price tag is quite steep.

The situation I'm most concerned with is more like my '13 F-150. It has radio controls spread pretty far apart in the center stack that occupy two separate dash panels. I don't know of any way to replace that head unit as of right now. That radio also sounds pretty bad and the Sync is infuriating at times yet the only option I'm aware of is to live with it.

Now that I'm aware of the cost of upgrading the audio system, if it's even possible to upgrade at all, I am less likely to accept a factory system that is anything less than excellent. I could be tempted to trade in the Boss for a host of reasons, including that I like the design of the '15 but there has got to be some way to have excellent audio quality whether from the factory or aftermarket. If the manufacturers are going to make it incredibly expensive or nearly impossible to replace the audio system, at least they could provide decent audio quality from the factory.
Old 1/6/14, 10:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
You don't need to replace head units anymore. Just get an Audison bit ten or bit one and you're good to go with adding your amp and speakers/sub of choice. You keep all your factory look and functionality. I just installed a nice system in my buddy's 2013 F-150 STX with sync - Hertz Mille 6.5 components, 2 JL 6w3s under the rear seat, an Audison LRx6.9 and a bit ten. It sounds amazing.
Old 1/7/14, 04:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
You don't need to replace head units anymore.
I have two 2013 Ford products with Sync...and an iPhone. That makes Sync pretty dysfunctional for me. Eliminating Sync is a big part of my wish list. I considered the Audison route but that leaves Sync intact. I could do the Audison and buy a new MS based phone before my plan allows but that would still be an expensive option (although perhaps the only option on the F-150).

I hope to see a better implementation of Sync in the '15 Mustang, meaning one that performs basic functions regardless of phone choice. It's not like Apple is a niche manufacturer. Back to my original point, if it's going to be expensive or nearly impossible to upgrade/replace the audio system, it should sound excellent and function well.
Old 1/7/14, 05:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two 2013 Ford products with Sync...and an iPhone. That makes Sync pretty dysfunctional for me. Eliminating Sync is a big part of my wish list. I considered the Audison route but that leaves Sync intact. I could do the Audison and buy a new MS based phone before my plan allows but that would still be an expensive option (although perhaps the only option on the F-150).

I hope to see a better implementation of Sync in the '15 Mustang, meaning one that performs basic functions regardless of phone choice. It's not like Apple is a niche manufacturer. Back to my original point, if it's going to be expensive or nearly impossible to upgrade/replace the audio system, it should sound excellent and function well.
I have an iPhone and Sync works great for me, with an occasional hiccup. What's wrong with yours?
Old 1/7/14, 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
I have an iPhone and Sync works great for me, with an occasional hiccup. What's wrong with yours?
I'll focus on my '13 F150 because it's my DD and the one I use the most but these issues also apply to my '13 Boss.

I prefer to use Bluetooth audio from my phone. My phone is always with me and easiest to update my playlists, etc. I know that Bluetooth audio will never connect and start to play automatically. That's a given. Every time I get in my truck, I have to push the button and say "Bluetooth audio". If I stop for gas, I get back in and I have to push the button and say "Bluetooth audio". Every time, even if the radio display says Bluetooth media, I still have to push the button and say it. It's even more frustrating when I use the auto-start function. When I get in the truck, it won't recognize my phone automatically. I have to push the button and say "Bluetooth audio", then it will tell me that there is no Bluetooth device available, it will try to connect one. Then it will connect Bluetooth but not play. Then I have to push the button again and say Bluetooth audio for a second time before it will play music.

I have a game I play called the Sync lottery. In this game, you guess what source is going to appear when I start the truck. If I am listening to Bluetooth audio when I shut the truck off, when I restart the truck it might default to FM radio, USB audio or Bluetooth media (but not play). I never know which source is going to play on start-up. It's Vegas odds. The only thing I know for sure is that it isn't going to play Bluetooth audio if that's the last setting on shut-down.

But there's a bonus game in this lottery. When I get it to play Bluetooth audio, you get to guess whether or not it will play the playlist that I had prepared or whether it will default to the "all music" file. If it defaults to the "all music" file, I have to manually select the playlist on the phone that I had previously selected to hear the music I wanted to hear.

I tried to use USB thumb drives but I haven't been able to make any of them work. Even when I got Sync to recognize the songs on a thumb drive, Sync told me that the music was copyright protected and wouldn't play it. This is music that I purchased on iTunes and downloaded to the drive from iTunes. I guess actually buying music isn't good enough for Sync to play it. I have recently learned that USB drives might work if I download it from WMP. I now keep an iPod plugged into the USB port but in 0 degree F weather, I would rather not keep an iPod in the truck. However, when Bluetooth audio simply fails to connect, that's the only way to listen to the music that I choose.

I recently went to the Sync website to see if I have the latest software version. Apparently I do have the latest software but the Sync website is showing me that it thinks I have the Nav system. I cannot update my profile to tell the Sync website that I have MFT without Nav. Maybe I have the latest Nav software in my non-Nav system?

Back to the point of this thread, I hope the next generation has a better implementation of Sync. I really just want a radio that will automatically play Bluetooth audio if that's where I set it. This is my Sync experience. I don't really want it in my vehicles anymore but I haven't come to terms with the cost to replace it.
Old 1/8/14, 04:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sadly, I'm really kinda glad to see that my wife's Escape isn't the only vehicle out there with the stubborn radio. Hers does just what you describe, plus turns itself on and off randomly. I had a similar issue with USB sticks in both a Taurus and Mustang the first time I plugged them in. Plugged in a second time and they either worked right then, or I just went to voice mode and told it to play (and it did). And never any more trouble with that device...
Old 1/10/14, 02:10 AM
V6 Member

The radio in the 2015 Mustang will be the least of my concerns.
Old 1/12/14, 03:24 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll focus on my '13 F150 because it's my DD and the one I use the most but these issues also apply to my '13 Boss.

I tried to use USB thumb drives but I haven't been able to make any of them work. Even when I got Sync to recognize the songs on a thumb drive, Sync told me that the music was copyright protected and wouldn't play it. This is music that I purchased on iTunes and downloaded to the drive from iTunes. I guess actually buying music isn't good enough for Sync to play it. I have recently learned that USB drives might work if I download it from WMP. I now keep an iPod plugged into the USB port but in 0 degree F weather, I would rather not keep an iPod in the truck. However, when Bluetooth audio simply fails to connect, that's the only way to listen to the music that I choose.

I recently went to the Sync website to see if I have the latest software version. Apparently I do have the latest software but the Sync website is showing me that it thinks I have the Nav system. I cannot update my profile to tell the Sync website that I have MFT without Nav. Maybe I have the latest Nav software in my non-Nav system?

Back to the point of this thread, I hope the next generation has a better implementation of Sync. I really just want a radio that will automatically play Bluetooth audio if that's where I set it. This is my Sync experience. I don't really want it in my vehicles anymore but I haven't come to terms with the cost to replace it.
Hi Boss 0960,

You're correct; there isn't a way to select a default source for your SYNC system. Using the voice command BLUETOOTH AUDIO, like you're doing currently, is the quickest way to switch. You'll find some Bluetooth troubleshooting tips here: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...c-myford-touch Make sure that the files on your USB drive are one of the following formats: MP3, WMA, WAV or AAC. Those are the supported audio formats. The latest software version for the MyFord Touch systems is V3.6.2 (with or without nav). Verify by pressing the 2 gears > HELP > SYSTEM INFORMATION. The last 5 digits of the CCPU number will say: 13171.

Kim
Old 1/12/14, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
The latest software version for the MyFord Touch systems is V3.6.2 (with or without nav). Verify by pressing the 2 gears > HELP > SYSTEM INFORMATION. The last 5 digits of the CCPU number will say: 13171.

Kim
Thanks Kim. Should those numbers be the same for a '13 F-150 and a '13 Mustang? The Sync website is telling me that the software in my F-150 with MFT (no Nav) is up to date with Gen1 - V4.1.2.F

Last edited by Boss 0960; 1/12/14 at 07:23 PM.
Old 1/13/14, 06:49 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Kim. Should those numbers be the same for a '13 F-150 and a '13 Mustang? The Sync website is telling me that the software in my F-150 with MFT (no Nav) is up to date with Gen1 - V4.1.2.F
You're welcome.

If the F-150 is equipped with MFT (MyFord Touch), V4.1.2F is not the correct software version. It sounds like you may have seen the current software for your Mustang instead. If both VINs are added to your: www.Support.Ford.com account, log in and click UPDATE SYNC SOFTWARE > SWITCH VEHICLE (at the top of the page) > select the F-150. The page will show the software information for that vehicle.

Kim