2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Has the loss of acceleration performance cooled your enthusiasm for the S550?

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/15, 04:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernStang79
That make sense, but until I can drive one I am forming an impression by what others are saying and most of them say the '15 rides better on the road, is not as bumpy etc. They make it seem like the car rides more like a sedan than a sports coupe
The 15's do not ride more like a sedan. It still rides like a sports coupe in anyway, shape or form. It's people misunderstanding what the IRS brings + the placebo effect mentioned by Rob.

It's more COMPOSED over bumps and around corners, but it does not ride like a Lexus, Fusion, or any such thing. Composure and ride feel are not the same thing in this case. I do recommend you go try a 15 to see for yourself.
Old 2/6/15, 05:11 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,140 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
The 15's do not ride more like a sedan. It still rides like a sports coupe in anyway, shape or form. It's people misunderstanding what the IRS brings + the placebo effect mentioned by Rob.

It's more COMPOSED over bumps and around corners, but it does not ride like a Lexus, Fusion, or any such thing. Composure and ride feel are not the same thing in this case. I do recommend you go try a 15 to see for yourself.
Jeff ! All I was attempting to point out in my previous posts was this.. If upgrading from the S-197 with SRA to the new 15 models with IRS are your main purpose for upgrading as in being such a deal breaker ? Then perhaps they should be looking more towards a sports sedan rather than a sports car/muscle car such as the Mustang..

At any rate, if I misinterpreted in comparing the 15's IRS with the sports sedans such as the Lexus, BMW and so forth ? Then my apologies for any misinterpretations on my part, as that clearly was not my intention at all..
Old 2/6/15, 05:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Jeff ! All I was attempting to point out in my previous posts was this.. If upgrading from the S-197 with SRA to the new 15 models with IRS are your main purpose for upgrading as in being such a deal breaker ? Then perhaps they should be looking more towards a sports sedan rather than a sports car/muscle car such as the Mustang..

At any rate, if I misinterpreted in comparing the 15's IRS with the sports sedans such as the Lexus, BMW and so forth ? Then my apologies for any misinterpretations on my part, as that clearly was not my intention at all..
I wasn't addressing you or quoting you directly!

(The drive is still definitely much different than many of the sports sedans, but not much different. My mom has a Lexus IS 350 FSport and it's similiar, but definitely Lexus like!)
Old 2/6/15, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
I wasn't addressing you or quoting you directly!

(The drive is still definitely much different than many of the sports sedans, but not much different. My mom has a Lexus IS 350 FSport and it's similiar, but definitely Lexus like!)
Thanks ! And I really appreciate that, I just wanted to clear up any misunderstandings that may had been taken in the wrong way on my part
Old 2/7/15, 03:51 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've owned 7 Mustangs. 1997 & 2000 V6 models...2004 & 2012 GT Premiums with oodles of performance/handling goodies, and my wife's 2004 & 2012 V6 Mustangs were all great cars. BUT the new 2015 tops them all...even stock. IMHO..Thanks
Old 2/7/15, 04:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I had a nightmare last night. TMS was loaded with EB mustangs and there were just a few V8 owners left out in the cold not included in any conversation what so ever. Like a minority. Then I woke up.
Old 2/7/15, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Music man in Pcola
I've owned 7 Mustangs. 1997 & 2000 V6 models...2004 & 2012 GT Premiums with oodles of performance/handling goodies, and my wife's 2004 & 2012 V6 Mustangs were all great cars. BUT the new 2015 tops them all...even stock. IMHO..Thanks
And I'm sure you'll be saying the same about the 2025 Mustang
Old 2/8/15, 12:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
And I'm sure you'll be saying the same about the 2025 Mustang
One would hope a car with ten more years of refinement is better than the one we have now, lol.
Old 2/8/15, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Von Bek
One would hope a car with ten more years of refinement is better than the one we have now, lol.
Exactly ! As the refinement cycle never ends lol... Heck I'm sure everyone said the 2005 Mustang was the best ever 10 years ago, including myself

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/8/15 at 01:39 AM.
Old 2/14/15, 12:32 PM
GT Member

Having owned an extensively modified (suspension/engine) 2002 GT, and then 1 2012 GT with a Steeda stage III suspension and custom tune. I can (easily) say that the 2015 GT Premium I now own is FAR ahead in many aspects over my previous carss
...ride comfort, and handling that is standard on ,my new car. I won't have to add anything to the 2015...it handles and rides beautifully, on the street or autocross.
Old 2/14/15, 01:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Music man in Pcola
Having owned an extensively modified (suspension/engine) 2002 GT, and then 1 2012 GT with a Steeda stage III suspension and custom tune. I can (easily) say that the 2015 GT Premium I now own is FAR ahead in many aspects over my previous carss ...ride comfort, and handling that is standard on ,my new car. I won't have to add anything to the 2015...it handles and rides beautifully, on the street or autocross.
This is pretty obvious bro. A 2002 wouldn't hold a candle to the new car simply because it had an antiquated motor and would have modified with 15 year old aftermarket technology.

Your 2012 probably rode like crap from a stage 3 kit. Clearly the 2015 with OEM suspension will be more comfortable. I'd doubt however that it handles better.

Be honest with yourself. Since the 2012 Boss 302 out handles the 2015 GT PP, a 2012 GT with stg 3 steeda suspension would destroy a stock 2015 at a track.
Old 2/14/15, 02:31 PM
GT Member

So much bench racing here. Why is the need to defend the older suspensions so strong? If he streets and runs his cars autocross, I imagine he is confident in his opinion of the differences.
Old 2/14/15, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Skrapmetal
So much bench racing here. Why is the need to defend the older suspensions so strong? If he streets and runs his cars autocross, I imagine he is confident in his opinion of the differences.
Well I guess that means other people who have also driven both cars are not allowed to be confident of "their" opinion.

I've driven both cars. Claims that the day to day ride of the S550 are FAR ahead of the S197 are simply not the case. I get that when people buy a new car they have a tendency to say its the greatest thing ever. I'm not on board with the placebo affect. The S550 is unquestionably a nice car. FAR ahead? No.
Old 2/14/15, 06:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 3point7
Well I guess that means other people who have also driven both cars are not allowed to be confident of "their" opinion.

I've driven both cars. Claims that the day to day ride of the S550 are FAR ahead of the S197 are simply not the case. I get that when people buy a new car they have a tendency to say its the greatest thing ever. I'm not on board with the placebo affect. The S550 is unquestionably a nice car. FAR ahead? No.
I haven't picked up my 2015 yet, it's still on order. I test drove one to make sure I wanted one, but I wont say that let me see enough to make a solid comparison at this point. I need more seat time.

I'm new here, I know, but this thread/subforum sure seem full of S197 owners (which I still currently am) going out of their way to defend their car against the S550 and insist that it isn't any (or much) better handling.

Of course there is going to be bias on both sides of it; those with the shiny and new calling it the best thing ever, those who have the last model insisting to everyone that will listen that theirs is still just as good. I have just seen more of it here so far than other forums I frequent.

Of course, if that is my only complaint then this place can't be all bad.
Old 2/14/15, 08:04 PM

The reason for defending the older S-197's is because those of us who still own them are really getting fed up with all the bench racing/re-hashing crap in regards to the recently outgoing SRA technology that's been taking place in this thread and it's getting really old to say the very least..

For those of you who own the new 2015 models, I'm personally really happy for you and have given nothing but compliments and congrats to you guys, and yes we're all fully aware of how technically sophisticated the new IRS is on the S550 Mustangs as we all get it.. But to say that it's light years ahead of the S-197's 3 link SRA suspension is really going quite a bit overboard and anyone who's familiar with the 2012 Boss 302's SRA suspension knows full well that it barely got outperformed in the handling dept by the S550's new IRS setup with pp..

And FYI, Ford's 3 link SRA suspension in the outgoing S-197 was the best and most technically advanced SRA that was ever in a Mustang until the arrival of the new S550..

With that said, is the new IRS technology a significant improvement for the Mustang ? Yes, there's definitely no denying that whatsoever.. So how about just leaving it at that

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/14/15 at 09:16 PM.
Old 2/14/15, 11:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't picked up my 2015 yet, it's still on order. I test drove one to make sure I wanted one, but I wont say that let me see enough to make a solid comparison at this point. I need more seat time.

I'm new here, I know, but this thread/subforum sure seem full of S197 owners (which I still currently am) going out of their way to defend their car against the S550 and insist that it isn't any (or much) better handling.

Of course there is going to be bias on both sides of it; those with the shiny and new calling it the best thing ever, those who have the last model insisting to everyone that will listen that theirs is still just as good. I have just seen more of it here so far than other forums I frequent.

Of course, if that is my only complaint then this place can't be all bad.

Look I'll be the first to tell you that there are some S197 owners on this forum who have done nothing but talk crap about the S550 car since it came out. Some of them genuinely don't like the way the car looks. Others, however, are a bunch of grown men who get on this forum and act like a bunch of insecure teenage girls when it comes to their ride. That behavior takes place among owners of both the S197 and S550 car.

Today I stopped by the ATM at my bank to take some cash out. As I'm leaving I see this really great looking 1970 Mustang in the parking lot and the owner is walking out to it. So I stop and the two of us talk Mustangs for about thirty minutes or so. At no time did it even cross my mind to start saying something stupid like "Hey man, my 2014 car handles better and will outrun your 1970 car even though it has a V8." You know why I didn't do that? Because it doesn't freaking matter. Because I don't measure a man's worth or weather I want to talk to him by weather or not my car is faster or handles better than his car. That's teenage boy horse crap mentality. He was a fellow Mustang owner who had a great looking Mustang and that's all that mattered.

The fact of the matter is we are all Mustang owners and rather than find reasons to talk down to one another based on the variant of Mustang we own I think we would all be better off if we just took some appreciation of the fact that we all like the same great car. We live in a world were the roads are populated with endless rolling appliances and all of us here have opted to drive a car with some class, style and performance. Shouldn't that be enough?

I'm glad you got an S550 Skrap. It's a fine car and I sincerely hope that you get many years of enjoyment out of it. Myself and 05fastback are not here to try and make you feel bad about your Mustang. We really hope that you enjoy it and have fun with it. We just aren't down for the petty "my crap is better than your crap" stuff when both are great cars and there is no reason for us to insult one another over it. Hope that helps you out.
Old 2/15/15, 12:38 AM
GT Member

Yup, lets just enjoy that fact that the Mustang lives on. If your happy with your car, stop trashing the other guys.
Old 2/15/15, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I haven't picked up my 2015 yet, it's still on order. I test drove one to make sure I wanted one, but I wont say that let me see enough to make a solid comparison at this point. I need more seat time. I'm new here, I know, but this thread/subforum sure seem full of S197 owners (which I still currently am) going out of their way to defend their car against the S550 and insist that it isn't any (or much) better handling. Of course there is going to be bias on both sides of it; those with the shiny and new calling it the best thing ever, those who have the last model insisting to everyone that will listen that theirs is still just as good. I have just seen more of it here so far than other forums I frequent. Of course, if that is my only complaint then this place can't be all bad.
I'm not going out of my way to do anything. I'm just calling him out for being over the top. The s550 is awesome. But the need to claim its FAR beyond to justify your purchase is non sense.

I come back with fact stating that it is not that much better than the 13/14 GT bc it is not better than the boss. This has been proven. I'm sure driving his new car grinning from ear to ear, as I would also be doing, makes him feel that it's FAR beyond. But the rest of us, s197 owners or not, are just saying that that terminology is incorrect.
Old 2/15/15, 11:04 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by typesredline

I come back with fact stating that it is not that much better than the 13/14 GT bc it is not better than the boss. This has been proven.
I haven't seen it proven. If anything, it has been proven to be at least the equal of the Boss 302, with some saying they found it to be better.

Vorshlag said they ran faster laps in a 2015 than they had ever run in a Boss 302.

Motortrend put the 2015 times on their figure 8 test at exactly the same as the Boss 302, which higher average G's.

Ford claims that it beat the Boss 302's lap time consistently during testing, which has to be taken with a grain of salt as marketing hype, but it is the source of people making the claim that the 2015 GTPP is superior.

Where have you seen it proven that the 2015 GT PP isn't better?
Old 2/15/15, 12:13 PM
GT Member

I have a 2012 but yeah it's pretty well know that the new one smokes the s197 on a road course. I'll have to find the test but I believe it was in road and track magazine where they have all time leaders on this airport course they have. I could be wrong on this slightly but I believe the 15 mustang PP GT best a 2012 boss by like 2 seconds or more.

Quick Reply: Has the loss of acceleration performance cooled your enthusiasm for the S550?