2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Has the loss of acceleration performance cooled your enthusiasm for the S550?

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/14, 06:23 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All great points in Randy's post. I agree :-)

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 10/16/14 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10/16/14, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
I'll buy one in a few more years. I've had my 2011 for 4 years and 5 months and only have 21,200 miles.

With the extra weight of the IRS, i don't see why Ford didn't try to get the weight distribution 50% front and 50% rear? That would have been something to 'brag about', in my opinion
How do you know they didn't try to get 50/50 weight distribution?
Old 10/16/14, 08:39 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Timeless
Think I will see what they do with the 2016 or 2017 variants before jumping back into a Mustang. Hoping they increase the HP to compete with the new Camaro which will undoubtedly have a major bump.

I wish they'd do a displacement bump when the LT1 powered F6 gets here. The coyote motor would gain all kinds of goodness from an extra 40 or 50 cubes.

I know its not really possible but the gains under the curve would really be a welcome addition.
Old 10/16/14, 11:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
I wish they'd do a displacement bump when the LT1 powered F6 gets here. The coyote motor would gain all kinds of goodness from an extra 40 or 50 cubes. I know its not really possible but the gains under the curve would really be a welcome addition.
I just responded in the other thread haha. I said 6.0 in the other thread, but a nice 5.8 351 would have a good ring to it!
Old 10/20/14, 04:59 AM
GT Member

Bob brings up a great point I have been saying for years. If Ford really gave two craps about keeping up with GM and MOPAR, they would have matched displacement first. The bigger (insert favorite name for male genitalia here) always wins when you can buy size to some buyers.
Why Ford didn't design the Coyote around a higher displacement is beyond me, other than trying to stick to EPA guidelines. In the performance world, isn't it the smallest V8 offered? Long gone or the old days when you had a choice of three or four different V8's under the hood. Of course, this "tiny" 5.0 spanks the 428 from the '70's.
Old 10/20/14, 05:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottsGT
Bob brings up a great point I have been saying for years. If Ford really gave two craps about keeping up with GM and MOPAR, they would have matched displacement first. The bigger (insert favorite name for male genitalia here) always wins when you can buy size to some buyers.
Why Ford didn't design the Coyote around a higher displacement is beyond me, other than trying to stick to EPA guidelines. In the performance world, isn't it the smallest V8 offered? Long gone or the old days when you had a choice of three or four different V8's under the hood. Of course, this "tiny" 5.0 spanks the 428 from the '70's.
There's a very good thread about this on this forum...If I have some time, i will search around and see if I can't come up with it.

Basically, 5.0L was chosen for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it allowed the continued use of some of the tooling from the 4.6L era.
Old 10/20/14, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
There's a very good thread about this on this forum...If I have some time, i will search around and see if I can't come up with it. Basically, 5.0L was chosen for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it allowed the continued use of some of the tooling from the 4.6L era.
Follow this link, it explains the entire engine and why Ford did what they did. (Of course there have been some adjustments since 2011 but this has been the best article I have found to date) it is long but awesome to read.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts...e/viewall.html
Old 10/21/14, 09:40 AM

Kind of related, but some of the things with the new Mustang remind me a lot about the old MN12 Thunderbird of the late '80s and early '90s:

From Wikipedia (but reflect my thoughts and recollections from way back when):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Th...nth_generation)

In spite of the new Thunderbird's merits, it was considered a failure by Ford's top management. On January 17, 1989, Ford President Harold A. Poling, with Ford CEO Donald Petersen and Ford Executive Vice President Phil Benton looking on, lambasted the MN12 program's staff in a meeting for badly missing the Thunderbird and Cougars' weight and cost targets (250 lb (110 kg) heavier and $900 US$ more per car than planned). This criticism came as a surprise to the program staff who expected to be praised for the Thunderbird and Cougars' technical achievements and positive reception. Anthony "Tony" S. Kuchta, manager of the MN12 program, was angered by Poling, not for his points about weight and cost overruns but rather that he directed his tirade at the program staff instead of at Kuchta who was responsible for all of the important decisions that determined the program's direction. Ironically, many of the decisions that Kuchta made regarding the MN12's development that resulted in the weight and cost overruns criticized by Poling were caused by the very things that set the MN12 cars apart from other cars in their class (such as rear-wheel drive and an independent rear suspension). Falling out of favor with Ford management after the Thunderbird and Cougars' launch, Kuchta voluntarily retired early from Ford in May 1989.
The S550 too, while accomplishing many great and long-overdue technological achievements perhaps did so by piling them on while lacking some engineering discipline when it came to size and weight, and perhaps cost. So while an excellent car in most ways, I think it's a bit larger than it should be and missed its weight bogie by 400lbs, being nearly 200lbs heavier where it should have been nearly 200lbs lighter than a similar S197, i.e., a GT should be in the lean 3,400lb weight class, not the 3,800lb. chubsters class with the Camaro.

I wonder if this will open a big window for the soon to be next Camaro to actually realize a significant size and weight trimming on its new chassis? Or whether it, seeing its plus-sized Pony car brethren, will similarly throw weight discipline out the window and start noshing on those Quarter Pounders with Cheese.
Old 1/18/15, 07:38 AM
GT Member

.1 "slower" I can live with. .95g on a skid pad and no more jitters over bumpy or uneven roads thanks to a NEW IRS I can also live happily with. As for appearance...I LOVE IT. 2015 GT Premium Race Red, auto, 20x9 rims, 401A, spoiler delete, 3.55 rear gears...does it get any better?
Old 1/18/15, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Music man in Pcola
.1 "slower" I can live with. .95g on a skid pad and no more jitters over bumpy or uneven roads thanks to a NEW IRS I can also live happily with. As for appearance...I LOVE IT. 2015 GT Premium Race Red, auto, 20x9 rims, 401A, spoiler delete, 3.55 rear gears...does it get any better?
It does with 3.73s and big Brembo brakes
Old 1/18/15, 09:38 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I did not even do any lap time or drag time research when buying my mustang. it appealed to me regardless of how it even stacked up against the camaro etc. I don't think the majority of buyers gave a **** about a couple tenths of a second here or there. The test drive sold me on mine. I am sure the '15 will do very well. the 16 will be even better probably. so in my opinion the current trending numbers will not cool demand for the '15.
Old 1/18/15, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Yes! This is typical with every new generation of a beloved car. People become emotionally invested in their own version and it's sometimes easier to find faults with the new version rather than facing the cognitive dissonance that comes with admitting faults in the car that you have been praising for a long time.

That said, some of us (yours truly for example) are in a position (both emotionally and financially) to buy the new car but need to weigh the value of the improvements...and seeing disappointments like this are sometimes enough to make the purchase less enticing.

I dig the S550s a lot. The styling is great, interiors are beautiful, new version of the already spectacular Coyote sounds like a win...but all of the promises upon which I based my plans of actually buying one have been met with fail.

Lighter? Nope
Smaller? Nope
Faster in the quarter? Nope
More sportscar-like in driving experience? Nope
End of Wheelhop issues with modern suspension? NOPE
A huge leap in road course performance? Nope

Buying one? Nope
(at least not yet...)
My thoughts right here.

But since I sold my S197 a few years ago, I'm very much on board with a 2015.
Old 1/31/15, 06:20 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
.1sec slower when I take delivery... but not for long.

I love the appearance so much more than my 2012. Can't wait for my order to come in.
Old 2/1/15, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Skrapmetal
.1sec slower when I take delivery... but not for long.

I love the appearance so much more than my 2012. Can't wait for my order to come in.
Agree 100% !! Scott
Old 2/1/15, 03:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
It does with 3.73s and big Brembo brakes
3.55 is the best you can get with the auto trans. My wife is physically unable to drive a manual. Besides the 20x9 rims look gorgeous. I am happy.
Old 2/2/15, 07:51 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me(and I believe, many others) my suspicions were confirmed as soon as I test drove it- The s550 doesn't drive "like a Mustang". THAT is is primary reason I considered, and bought it! I have matured waayyyy past the point of tolerating a chattering rear suspension going around a corner or putting up with a ultra-cheesy interior for the sake of acceleration. This is a car that Ford can proudly put on a world stage, and make very few excuses for. I doubt the guys that only want a pony car with a ridiculously over powered engine will embrace it, but I'm not entirely sure they were Ford's target market to begin with. I bought this car for my wife- and she loves it! she hasn't felt this strongly about a car in the last 20+ years. What does that say about Ford's ability to build what will sell? There is just something about this car- it feels just as comfortable at 100 as it does at 40. There isn't many cars out there that can say that.
Old 2/2/15, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob
I wish they'd do a displacement bump when the LT1 powered F6 gets here. The coyote motor would gain all kinds of goodness from an extra 40 or 50 cubes.

I know its not really possible but the gains under the curve would really be a welcome addition.
Why waste the R&D when all signs point to smaller and smaller V8's coming down the pipe in the future.
Old 2/2/15, 12:25 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,610 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Why waste the R&D when all signs point to smaller and smaller V8's coming down the pipe in the future.
Where are you getting your info from ? Do you have any links or sources to confirm these smaller V8's are coming down the pipe !
Old 2/2/15, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by elfiero
For me(and I believe, many others) my suspicions were confirmed as soon as I test drove it- The s550 doesn't drive "like a Mustang". THAT is is primary reason I considered, and bought it! I have matured waayyyy past the point of tolerating a chattering rear suspension going around a corner or putting up with a ultra-cheesy interior for the sake of acceleration. This is a car that Ford can proudly put on a world stage, and make very few excuses for. I doubt the guys that only want a pony car with a ridiculously over powered engine will embrace it, but I'm not entirely sure they were Ford's target market to begin with. I bought this car for my wife- and she loves it! she hasn't felt this strongly about a car in the last 20+ years. What does that say about Ford's ability to build what will sell? There is just something about this car- it feels just as comfortable at 100 as it does at 40. There isn't many cars out there that can say that.
You keep making these claims about the S197 car and yet you have never owned or apparently even driven one. I, on the other hand, have actually driven an S550 in premium trim. The interior, while moderately improved, is not that much better than the 2010 to 2014 car. If the interior of the 2014 car is "ultra cheesy" than the interior of the S550 would have to be classified as "really cheesy" by comparison. The rear suspension of the S197 does not in any way "chatter" while going around a corner. But than given that you believed the S197 used leaf springs until you were corrected I'm not surprised you think that. In normal day to day driving I felt absolutely no difference in the comfort or handling capabilities of the S550 as compared to the S197. It is only in the seriously hard cornering (which your wife probably won't engage in) that the S550 has a slightly better grip thanks to the independent rear suspension. Heck at least the S197 can accelerate hard without the rear wheels bouncing all over the road, unlike the S550.

Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses. Both are good cars. If your intention on this forum is to try and pretend that every Mustang model ever made until the one you bought is some kind of lackluster junk heap than I suggest you might be more happy over on Mustang6G. There are plenty of us around here that do not subscribe to your narrow minded and ultimately inaccurate point of view about the S197 Mustangs.
Old 2/2/15, 03:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
You keep making these claims about the S197 car and yet you have never owned or apparently even driven one. I, on the other hand, have actually driven an S550 in premium trim. The interior, while moderately improved, is not that much better than the 2010 to 2014 car. If the interior of the 2014 car is "ultra cheesy" than the interior of the S550 would have to be classified as "really cheesy" by comparison. The rear suspension of the S197 does not in any way "chatter" while going around a corner. But than given that you believed the S197 used leaf springs until you were corrected I'm not surprised you think that. In normal day to day driving I felt absolutely no difference in the comfort or handling capabilities of the S550 as compared to the S197. It is only in the seriously hard cornering (which your wife probably won't engage in) that the S550 has a slightly better grip thanks to the independent rear suspension. Heck at least the S197 can accelerate hard without the rear wheels bouncing all over the road, unlike the S550. Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses. Both are good cars. If your intention on this forum is to try and pretend that every Mustang model ever made until the one you bought is some kind of lackluster junk heap than I suggest you might be more happy over on Mustang6G. There are plenty of us around here that do not subscribe to your narrow minded and ultimately inaccurate point of view about the S197 Mustangs.
I agree with most of your points except for the S197 being able to accelerate without wheel hop. Maybe you don't have enough power in the 3.7 to induce it, but any GT owner will tell you that it wheel hops BAD with the stock Pirellis and stock LCAs (even with Track Pack bits). I installed J&M LCAs which helped a lot, but didn't cure it 100%.

Quick Reply: Has the loss of acceleration performance cooled your enthusiasm for the S550?