2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Has the loss of acceleration performance cooled your enthusiasm for the S550?

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/15, 07:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Well all the negativity about the S-197 is getting really old in the tooth as well !
Indeed
Old 2/3/15, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Low08
I would have to agree with this reply 100% as the true combination of muscle car and sports car have finally met in the middle! Have you seen the numbers when modified? It is always a give and take no matter what anyway. Personally I wait for a good low mileage yuppy thought I could handle it trade in anyhow......so time is on my side!
Good point Event people who care about the numbers (like me) are swayed by things like driving feel, look and sound. I was torn between a 2014 1LE Camaro or a 2014 Mustang GT TP. I LOVE the iconic look of the S197, particularly in the last 2 model years. My goal was to get a fast, fun summer car which I can rock on the road course on the weekends and compete with M3s. The 1LE was clearly the winner at the track. But the Mustang felt like a better fit for me. I don't regret my decision at all.

So if the car feels right, get it.
Old 2/3/15, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I know exactly whom your referring to.. And I did respond in regards to his ignorant comments and ridiculous claims !
Yes I saw that. I'm not sure where he gets his point of view but it is seriously off base.

When the 2010 to 2014 cars came out I felt for awhile that they made the 2005 to 2009 cars look look dated. But now I feel the first gen S197 has its own notch and the car is not dated, its just not the same as the second gen and that's okay. In my opinion the only thing that needs to be changed on the first gen is the headlamps and when they are updated to the example below I think the first gen looks as good and even better than the second gen car. It sure as heck doesn't look "dated" lol.

Old 2/3/15, 07:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
I don't know if we should be flattered or scared of your twisted fantasies.
Decisions decisions lol!
Old 2/4/15, 01:12 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,140 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
Yes I saw that. I'm not sure where he gets his point of view but it is seriously off base.
Don't get me wrong Rob ! As I can certainly understand how much the person in question is so proud of his new 2015 Mustang because I also feel that Ford did an outstanding job in both the styling and engineering designs with the S550.. As a matter of fact, I was really hoping that I wasn't going to like the new model as much as the 05-14 S-197 models, but it appears that lightning can indeed strike twice as Ford hit another home run once again and IMO Ford was able to bring the new Mustang into the 21st century while at the same time retain it's original pony car spirit.. And although Ford has moved away from the retro styling of the S-197 generation, I look at the new Mustang as being more of an evolution of the S-197 models from a styling point of view and even though the design is completely all new and modern, I really don't feel that Ford completely abandoned the retro styling theme altogether

At any rate, I do understand how the OP feels about his car and I respect that however that doesn't give him the right to use that as an excuse for attempting to discredit other Mustang owners by posting inaccurate claims about their cars in which he knows absolutely nothing about to begin with..

As far as I'm concerned, this person in question had no point of view imho and was just being a troll by posting such ignorant remarks just so that he can feel better about himself because of the fact that he just happens to own one of the new 2015 Mustangs

I'll also add to this by just saying that even if his ignorant remarks had any credibility to them at all ? he should had at the very least presented his opinions in an intelligent and constructive manner, otherwise just don't bother posting anything at all..

When the 2010 to 2014 cars came out I felt for awhile that they made the 2005 to 2009 cars look look dated. But now I feel the first gen S197 has its own notch and the car is not dated, its just not the same as the second gen and that's okay. In my opinion the only thing that needs to be changed on the first gen is the headlamps and when they are updated to the example below I think the first gen looks as good and even better than the second gen car. It sure as heck doesn't look "dated" lol.
I never really thought of the 2005-2009 cars as being dated when compared to the 2010-2014 re-fresh models, as I actually like both just about the same but IMO the 2005-2009 cars would've looked much more muscular if only they would've had the quarter panel hips from the 2010-2014 models which was really the only complaint I had about the 2005-2009 Mustangs that I felt was really missing

And here's another reason why I don't feel they're outdated, it's because everytime I see an S-197 parked beside one of the new 2015 models, I still cannot decide which car appeals more to me over the other and this was after spending nearly 4 hours at my local Ford dealership's lot comparing both side by side lol.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/4/15 at 02:19 PM.
Old 2/4/15, 05:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In normal day to day driving I felt absolutely no difference in the comfort or handling capabilities of the S550 as compared to the S197. It is only in the seriously hard cornering (which your wife probably won't engage in) that the S550 has a slightly better grip thanks to the independent rear suspension. Heck at least the S197 can accelerate hard without the rear wheels bouncing all over the road, unlike the S550. Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses. Both are good cars. If your intention on this forum is to try and pretend that every Mustang model ever made until the one you bought is some kind of lackluster junk heap than I suggest you might be more happy over on Mustang6G. There are plenty of us around here that do not subscribe to your narrow minded and ultimately inaccurate point of view about the S197 Mustangs.
I disagree with your S550 conclusions. I previously had three S197's, a 2011,'12' and '14, all 5.0 GT's. Wheel hop in both s197 and s550 versions is driver induced, unless the pavement happens to be choppy and bumpy while applying power but that's a different situation. My current '15 Mustang GT PP has not experienced wheel hop, but that's because I know that as long as you don't SHOCK the drivetrain on take-off, wheel hop will not occur.

As for handling, the rear suspension is not the only thing that makes the s550 turn better, it's the new front suspension coupled with the IRS that allows the s550 car to turn in and grip better in the turns.

For those that say they can't tell a difference in they way the s550 rides and drives, then you haven't spent enough time behind the wheel of an s550. In my s550' bumps or pavement irregularities that would have you slow down, clinch up, and have the s197 bucking or rocking side to side are dispersed almost completely with the s550. I still find myself giggling a little with I go over certain roads or spots that no longer upset the new S550 platform. While IRS isn't knew to the world, it's nice to know the s550 drives as well as 95% of other cars on the road.
Old 2/4/15, 10:01 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Skrapmetal
.1sec slower when I take delivery... but not for long.

I love the appearance so much more than my 2012. Can't wait for my order to come in.
Welcome and congrats on your order, Skrapmetal! Be sure to PM me with your dealer’s name and order number so I can track it for you.

Deysha
Old 2/4/15, 10:07 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kn7671
pavement irregularities that would have you slow down, clinch up, and have the s197 bucking or rocking side to side...
rofl That's all I needed to read.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/4/15 at 07:19 PM.
Old 2/4/15, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

I disagree with your S550 conclusions. I previously had three S197's, a 2011,'12' and '14, all 5.0 GT's. Wheel hop in both s197 and s550 versions is driver induced, unless the pavement happens to be choppy and bumpy while applying power but that's a different situation. My current '15 Mustang GT PP has not experienced wheel hop, but that's because I know that as long as you don't SHOCK the drivetrain on take-off, wheel hop will not occur.

As for handling, the rear suspension is not the only thing that makes the s550 turn better, it's the new front suspension coupled with the IRS that allows the s550 car to turn in and grip better in the turns.

For those that say they can't tell a difference in they way the s550 rides and drives, then you haven't spent enough time behind the wheel of an s550. In my s550' bumps or pavement irregularities that would have you slow down, clinch up, and have the s197 bucking or rocking side to side are dispersed almost completely with the s550. I still find myself giggling a little with I go over certain roads or spots that no longer upset the new S550 platform. While IRS isn't knew to the world, it's nice to know the s550 drives as well as 95% of other cars on the road.

Let me guess. Your Mustang is blue with a big red S on the hood right? Superstang!!!!

In day to day to driving, you can't tell the difference. If the S550 was really that much smoother on "pavement irregularities" than what you have is a soft sprung luxury car, not a sports car. I've been driving cars for well over 25 years. It doesn't take days on end behind the wheel to sum up a car and how it drives. I'm glad you like your S550, it's a great car, but don't let yourself become the victim of some placebo effect.
Old 2/4/15, 11:34 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In day to day to driving, you can't tell the difference. If the S550 was really that much smoother on "pavement irregularities" than what you have is a soft sprung luxury car, not a sports car. I've been driving cars for well over 25 years. It doesn't take days on end behind the wheel to sum up a car and how it drives. I'm glad you like your S550, it's a great car, but don't let yourself become the victim of some placebo effect.
This completely. While the S550 does have a "better ride" the reality is isn't massively better. I do have the performance pack, so that may have also affected my perception. But, any car that is meant to be sporty or sports car like is going to have more road feel than a Lexus.

I've driven on some crappy roads in my older S197 GT. I mean really crappy in and around Nashville on back country roads; Also, on old asphalt farm roads north of DFW that are buckled from the summer heat. And, I never once experienced any bucking or rocking side to side. Nor did I ever clinch anything.

While I love my S550 and do think it's an improvement of the equivalent S197 in all ways, I'd classify it as a refinement not leaps and bounds better like some people make it out to be.
Old 2/4/15, 03:17 PM

Well I happen to disagree with your S550 conclusions and although I haven't driven a new S550 yet, I have driven both the Camaro and Challenger..

Despite the fact that both cars also have an IRS, I did a side by side comparison by testing both on the exact same roads that I drive my 2006 GT on a regular basis and afterwards came to the conclusion there was not any substantial difference between my car over the Challenger and Camaro although I did notice a marginal improvement when going over small bumps in the pavement, but it was nothing earth shaking to write home about as far as I'm concerned..

As I mentioned in a previous post.. I don't care if your car has an IRS or SRA, you're not going to eliminate wheel hop altogether, it's going to be a factor regardless of which suspension you have..

Personally I don't allow such a small thing like wheel hop bother me, as the Mustang is a Pony Car/Muscle car and now becoming more of a Sports Car which is just fine with me, however if I really wanted a car with a soft suspension and has the ride comfort of a Luxury Car ? I'd own either a LEXUS, BMW, AUDI or a friggin CADILLAC and not a MUSTANG..

And as I also mentioned in a previous post, My 2006 GT will handle just as well as any 2015 Mustang after upgrading to aftermarket LCA's/GT500 strut mounts along with Koni adjustable shocks and struts..

Therefore with just a few bolt on's, I can improve the ride quality of my car's suspension and still be further ahead rather than having to start from scratch all over again by having to finance a new car for up to another 5-6 years in car payments

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/4/15 at 03:21 PM.
Old 2/5/15, 05:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I...As for handling, the rear suspension is not the only thing that makes the s550 turn better, it's the new front suspension coupled with the IRS that allows the s550 car to turn in and grip better in the turns.

Yes. You're on base here.
Don't worry about the caustic comments you might get...There are plenty of folks who get what you're saying.

The S197 is jiggly and nervous over bad pavement in a way that the S550 isn't. This was one of the strongest impressions that the S550 made on me and it's a wonderful and welcome change.

I wouldn't agree if you said that the S197 was a poor handling car on the whole (because it certainly isn't and that's not what you said anway) but without a doubt, the new platform has vastly more composure.

Still, it's not quite enough to get me to jump ship from my beloved S197 just yet.
Old 2/5/15, 07:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Is this turning into a IRS better handling thread. Gez You can make any car drive like a boat. You can make any car drive like a sports Car. My suburban will kick the crap out of most cars on these forums. I just like good firm handling vehicles. Wheel hope also has alot to do with Traction you know the tires compound there is more to it than suspension. Why do most of these threads turn out this way? I am thinking that most people want the car to do the driving and be perfect. Learn to drive the car.
Old 2/5/15, 08:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
... My suburban will kick the crap out of most cars on these forums. ....

This is officially the single stupidest thing I've yet heard in 2015.
Old 2/5/15, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

S197 Mustang GT skid pad .94g

S550 Mustang GT skid pad .96g

A margin of difference so close that you likely aren't going to be able to tell the difference by the seat of your pants.

Secondly

Don't try to performance drive over bad or rough spots in the road, regardless of what suspension you have. If you don't know this already you don't need to be driving a sports coupe to begin with.

I have nothing more to add because now we are just going to drift off into a forum argument and it's not worth it.
Old 2/5/15, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Yes. You're on base here.
Don't worry about the caustic comments you might get...There are plenty of folks who get what you're saying.
Caustic Comments ? Now that is by far the stupidest remark I've seen yet
and btw: my response to the OP was from personal experience and not from some caustic comment in which your referring to..

As I clearly stated in my response, I performed side by side comparisons between my car and 2 others from the competition which have IRS and thereafter posted my results.. Therefore what is your basis for concluding my response as being some caustic comment ? just because of the fact that you simply have a different opinion Well just for the record, just because your opinions may differ from somebody else's doesn't mean their views are any less valuable than yours are let alone being considered by your standards as a caustic comment.. If for some reason you feel that somebody isn't on the same page with you ? Then fine, by all means come forward and present your reasons for disagreeing in a constructive and adult manner..

The S197 is jiggly and nervous over bad pavement in a way that the S550 isn't. This was one of the strongest impressions that the S550 made on me and it's a wonderful and welcome change.
And did you ever address these issues by upgrading your suspension components such as aftermarket LCA's/GT500 strut mounts and going with an adjustable strut/shock combo ?

Just adding those few bolt on's will provide a noticeable improvement over the stock suspension..

without a doubt, the new platform has vastly more composure.
Really ? Well Brenspeed apparently has a different opinion.. Perhaps you should check out they're video, as you just might re-consider your opinion.. Here's the video..

Still, it's not quite enough to get me to jump ship from my beloved S197 just yet.
And I wonder why that is

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/5/15 at 02:24 PM.
Old 2/5/15, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

And did you ever address these issues by upgrading your suspension components such as aftermarket LCA's/GT500 strut mounts and going with an adjustable strut/shock combo ?

Just adding those few bolt on's will provide a noticeable improvement over the stock suspension..

I almost asked the same thing m05. I've driven my six banger S197 over plenty of rough spots on the road and never once have I thought "Oh my God, this thing is all over the place!" By comparison when I drove the S550 over rough spots during the test drive it did not feel like it was more or less composes over those spots than my car. I can agree that the S550 felt like it held a little better under hard cornering apples to apples. Under normal cornering you won't be able to tell a difference no matter what anyone says.
Old 2/5/15, 02:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Caustic Comments ? Now that is by far the stupidest remark I've seen yet
and btw: my response to the OP was from personal experience and not from some caustic comment in which your referring to..

I wasn't referring to your comments, M05. The butthurt was a bit premature.

Disagreement is fine...I just happen to agree with his opinion.

My opinion is based off of my two S197 GTs with stock suspension compared to my test drive in a S550 GT with a stock suspension that I deliberately took over a familiar/bumpy road.

I have owned, autocrossed and flogged the hell out of performance cars with IRS and I keep coming back to the Mustang, SRA and all because the cars have plenty of other merits...but the IRS is pretty much always going to ride better and react better to less than perfect surface conditions.

They're also heavier, more expensive and often not as strong...so they're certainly not always preferable!
Old 2/5/15, 02:58 PM

I almost asked the same thing m05. I've driven my six banger S197 over plenty of rough spots on the road and never once have I thought "Oh my God, this thing is all over the place!" By comparison when I drove the S550 over rough spots during the test drive it did not feel like it was more or less composes over those spots than my car. I can agree that the S550 felt like it held a little better under hard cornering apples to apples. Under normal cornering you won't be able to tell a difference no matter what anyone says.
Exactly Rob ! Which was the same impression I got after test driving the 2015 Camaro and Challenger and I totally agree with you 100% Under normal driving conditions, your not going to notice or feel a substantial difference..

And if it's so much of a deal breaker ? Then you shouldn't own a muscle car/sports car such as the Mustang to begin with, but rather a luxury sports sedan instead

And btw: Rob ! I do have an actual first name posted on my avatar for a reason lol.
Old 2/5/15, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

And btw: Rob ! I do have an actual first name posted on my avatar for a reason lol.
Roger that Rock

Quick Reply: Has the loss of acceleration performance cooled your enthusiasm for the S550?