2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Has the loss of acceleration performance cooled your enthusiasm for the S550?

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/15, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I agree with most of your points except for the S197 being able to accelerate without wheel hop. Maybe you don't have enough power in the 3.7 to induce it, but any GT owner will tell you that it wheel hops BAD with the stock Pirellis and stock LCAs (even with Track Pack bits). I installed J&M LCAs which helped a lot, but didn't cure it 100%.
I can't speak for the current GT but I didn't experience wheel hop in my 06 GT. I know the horsepower has dramatically increased since then. Regardless of that I'm just tired of the rose tinted glasses that some posters here seem to wear.
Old 2/2/15, 04:00 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
The rear suspension of the S197 does not in any way "chatter" while going around a corner. But than given that you believed the S197 used leaf springs until you were corrected I'm not surprised you think that. .
This! elfiero has zero credibility to critique any Mustang. Dunce.
Old 2/2/15, 04:58 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
This! elfiero has zero credibility to critique any Mustang. Dunce.
Some people simply repeat what they've read others say or write without any actual first hand knowledge. My S197 GT never once had chattering and wasn't jarring over mildly rough roads (mostly in Nashville). And, this was a '09. They had 5 more years to make it even better.

I *do* think the S550 suspension is a better base to build off of for a road course, but Ford had just about perfected that SRA. And, despite the wheel hop *may* have been better for 1/4.

A lot of the move to a IRS was because of the press constantly and consistently mentioning that SRA and calling it archaic - which causes these uninformed comments. With the move to a global car (e.g. other markets), Ford made the right decision to go to an IRS, so a box could be checked when comparing against other cars. But, much of the perception in day to day driving is not going to be noticeable to a vast majority of drivers.

(My comment about the interior - I do think it's definitely better, but it's not 100% better. Well, maybe 100% better than my '09 but not 100% better than a 12-14).

Last edited by JeffreyDJ; 2/2/15 at 05:00 PM.
Old 2/2/15, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
Some people simply repeat what they've read others say or write without any actual first hand knowledge. My S197 GT never once had chattering and wasn't jarring over mildly rough roads (mostly in Nashville). And, this was a '09. They had 5 more years to make it even better.

I *do* think the S550 suspension is a better base to build off of for a road course, but Ford had just about perfected that SRA. And, despite the wheel hop *may* have been better for 1/4.

A lot of the move to a IRS was because of the press constantly and consistently mentioning that SRA and calling it archaic - which causes these uninformed comments. With the move to a global car (e.g. other markets), Ford made the right decision to go to an IRS, so a box could be checked when comparing against other cars. But, much of the perception in day to day driving is not going to be noticeable to a vast majority of drivers.

(My comment about the interior - I do think it's definitely better, but it's not 100% better. Well, maybe 100% better than my '09 but not 100% better than a 12-14).

Also I didn't know you were in Nashville Jeff. Just up the interstate from me.
Old 2/2/15, 10:23 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,140 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Originally Posted by elfiero
For me(and I believe, many others) my suspicions were confirmed as soon as I test drove it- The s550 doesn't drive "like a Mustang". THAT is is primary reason I considered, and bought it! I have matured waayyyy past the point of tolerating a chattering rear suspension going around a corner or putting up with a ultra-cheesy interior for the sake of acceleration. This is a car that Ford can proudly put on a world stage, and make very few excuses for. I doubt the guys that only want a pony car with a ridiculously over powered engine will embrace it, but I'm not entirely sure they were Ford's target market to begin with. I bought this car for my wife- and she loves it! she hasn't felt this strongly about a car in the last 20+ years. What does that say about Ford's ability to build what will sell? There is just something about this car- it feels just as comfortable at 100 as it does at 40. There isn't many cars out there that can say that.
First of all ! I'm not responding to your post to start up a thread war but after reading several of your posts, I could no longer just sit back without addressing some of your ridiculous claims that you've been posting..

So I'll start out by stating that you've never even owned a S-197 Mustang, so just who are you to post such negative comments about claiming how inferior Ford's 3 link SRA technology is when you weren't even aware of the fact that Ford hasn't used leaf springs on a Mustang since 1978..

As a matter of fact, I'll bet that you've never even driven an S-197 Mustang have you ?

Therefore just how in the hell would you know as to whether or not the S-197 has a chattering rear suspension when going around corners

Well fyi: I'm here to inform you that I'm currently on my second S-197 Mustang and not once have I ever experienced any type of rear chattering when going around corners as you posted.. In addition the suspension in my current 2006 GT is lowered and still has the stock dampers and although I won't deny that occasionally I do experience wheel hop, my wheels don't bounce around all over the place despite what you or certain others may choose to believe..

Personally I don't know where or whom you've been getting your info from ? but Ford did an excellent job when developing it's 3 link SRA setup in which I never experienced any ride handling or cornering issues that your referring to and to be perfectly honest with you, I don't care if your car has IRS or SRA but you're not going to eliminate wheel hop completely.. Of course you can reduce it by upgrading your LCA's, adjustable panhard bars ect.. But in the end, your still going to have a certain degree of wheel hop regardless.. Perfect example, the current Challenger and Camaro still encounter wheel hop issues and have used IRS ever since both cars were re-introduced, so if that still isn't acceptable enough for you ? then take a look at the Brenspeed video that was posted in which the IRS was tested on the 2015 S550 and guess what the test results revealed ? you guessed it, wheel hop..

And speaking of wheel hop.. I'm sure my 2006 GT will handle and feel just as smooth as the S550 once I'm done upgrading my LCA's along with upgrading to GT500 strut mounts and also replacing the OEM dampers with Koni sports.. And yes ! replacing the stock struts/shocks do make a huge difference as the OEM's are garbage..

The bottom line is this.. Everyone who's visited this thread is fully aware of how proud you are of owning a new 2015 Mustang and I congratulate you on your new purchase however that doesn't give you the right to come into these forums and discredit other Mustang owners by posting such ignorant and biased remarks just because you happen to own a new 2015 model..

With that being said, you have no room for criticizing the S-197 Mustang as you neither have any experience nor any real knowledge about the car's suspension components to begin with.. Therefore your claims have absolutely no credibility whatsoever

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/3/15 at 06:03 PM.
Old 2/2/15, 10:38 PM

Also I didn't know you were in Nashville Jeff. Just up the interstate from me.
I was, I lived there 10 years. I moved back to Dallas 3 years ago.

However, we're there quiet a bit. I still own a home there and my wife's family is from there!
Old 2/2/15, 11:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
I was, I lived there 10 years. I moved back to Dallas 3 years ago.

However, we're there quiet a bit. I still own a home there and my wife's family is from there!
Oh man, I lived in Texas for three years when I was assigned to Fort Hood and I'm a huge Cowboys fan lol. They got robbed in that game against Green Bay, that was clearly a catch.
Old 2/3/15, 02:33 PM

Oh man, I lived in Texas for three years when I was assigned to Fort Hood and I'm a huge Cowboys fan lol. They got robbed in that game against Green Bay, that was clearly a catch.
I had *just* gotten over that. The wound is now open again

I still miss living in Nashville (and I lived out west along the harpeth river and hwy 70). It had some great roads for driving.
Old 2/3/15, 04:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Sniff sniff..... what is that..... Bromance!??!?!!
Old 2/3/15, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Oh yes, because two guys liking the same football team is just unheard of. lol

Listen, just because your wife won't let you have any guy friends doesn't mean you have to be jealous of me and Jeff lol.
Old 2/3/15, 05:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ever think that Ford kept the "numbers" similar to clear out the '14 inventory. If anyone thinks that the S550 is tapped-out on performance, then they are sadly mistaken. There is nowhere to go but up... and that's where it'll be heading. The S197 is getting more dated by the minute- literally and figuratively.

In response to the OP's question- a few tenths can be easily made up with a few bolt-ons, or just get a GT350, Roush, or wait for an SE version that shouldn't be too far off...

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I love(d) the S197, but all the negativity about the S550 is getting old. Not liking the styling is one thing, and completely subjective, but the objective arguments are often exaggerated and mostly nonsensical... I-M-O.

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 2/3/15 at 06:08 PM.
Old 2/3/15, 06:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Ever think that Ford kept the "numbers" similar to clear out the '14 inventory. If anyone thinks that the S550 is tapped-out on performance, then they are sadly mistaken. There is nowhere to go but up... and that's where it'll be heading. The S197 is getting more dated by the minute- literally and figuratively. In response to the OP's question- a few tenths can be easily made up with a few bolt-ons, or just get a GT350, Roush, or wait for an SE version that shouldn't be too far off...
I disagree that the s550 (motor wise) isn't "tapped out". The changes were very subtle from the previous years motor. Slightly hotter cam, and revised intake are the main things that added power. The other changes were done for durability. That said, I along with many others predicted the 435/400 long before it was announced because that is where the changes (if you are familiar with building motors and making power) would put it. So it is not as though it is capable of making 450+ as is in stock form but they dialed it back. I know a lot of people expected 450+ but without more factory modifications, that ain't happening.

From there the logic of holding it back (granted it's not, but humoring you) doesn't make sense. That would put Ford in a perpetual cycle of having to hold back power. They wouldn't want to raise it next year because then they'd be stuck with 2015 inventory and so on.

Last edited by typesredline; 2/3/15 at 06:16 PM.
Old 2/3/15, 06:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Ever think that Ford kept the "numbers" similar to clear out the '14 inventory. If anyone thinks that the S550 is tapped-out on performance, then they are sadly mistaken. There is nowhere to go but up... and that's where it'll be heading. The S197 is getting more dated by the minute- literally and figuratively.

In response to the OP's question- a few tenths can be easily made up with a few bolt-ons, or just get a GT350, Roush, or wait for an SE version that shouldn't be too far off...

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I love(d) the S197, but all the negativity about the S550 is getting old. Not liking the styling is one thing, and completely subjective, but the objective arguments are often exaggerated and mostly nonsensical... I-M-O.
As an S197 owner I personally do not find it dated. I think the 2010 to 2014 car is an instant classic design that will never fall out of favor or desirability. Having said that, I also agree that a lot of the negative fervor surrounding the S550 is just so much nonsense. I have not as yet driven an S550 in GT trim but given the performance I experienced in the Ecoboost model I find no reason to cast negative comments on the car. It's an excellent performer and I can see it easily becoming a stellar performer as the aftermarket comes online for the car. As you correctly point out, looks is one thing. I personally am not a big fan of the front end design. But I will never say the car doesn't haul a** and handle good because it absolutely does. Once the aftermarket addresses the wheel hop issue (as much as it can be addressed) I think the GT will be a world class car with no problem.
Old 2/3/15, 06:19 PM

Well all the negativity about the S-197 is getting really old in the tooth as well !
Old 2/3/15, 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Well all the negativity about the S-197 is getting really old in the tooth as well !
Well, most of that has come from some dude who's screen name is a crappy mid-engine Pontiac from the 1980's and he has been thoroughly shown to be clueless about his claims. lol
Old 2/3/15, 07:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by typesredline
I disagree that the s550 (motor wise) isn't "tapped out". The changes were very subtle from the previous years motor. Slightly hotter cam, and revised intake are the main things that added power. The other changes were done for durability. That said, I along with many others predicted the 435/400 long before it was announced because that is where the changes (if you are familiar with building motors and making power) would put it. So it is not as though it is capable of making 450+ as is in stock form but they dialed it back. I know a lot of people expected 450+ but without more factory modifications, that ain't happening.

From there the logic of holding it back (granted it's not, but humoring you) doesn't make sense. That would put Ford in a perpetual cycle of having to hold back power. They wouldn't want to raise it next year because then they'd be stuck with 2015 inventory and so on.
You're quite the self-proclaimed prognosticator. Any chance that you were in Punxsutawney recently? Who's to say that there will not be more "factory modifications." Another prediction? Sure, Ford maintaining the same HP/TQ levels for the entire S550 run makes sense (granted, it's not, but humoring you). You wrongly assume that I'm talking about the 5.0, when I clearly only referred to the S550... Put down that crystal ball, or you'll be in a perpetual cycle of holding back a sense of reality
Old 2/3/15, 07:01 PM

As an S197 owner I personally do not find it dated. I think the 2010 to 2014 car is an instant classic design that will never fall out of favor or desirability. Having said that, I also agree that a lot of the negative fervor surrounding the S550 is just so much nonsense. I have not as yet driven an S550 in GT trim but given the performance I experienced in the Ecoboost model I find no reason to cast negative comments on the car. It's an excellent performer and I can see it easily becoming a stellar performer as the aftermarket comes online for the car. As you correctly point out, looks is one thing. I personally am not a big fan of the front end design. But I will never say the car doesn't haul a** and handle good because it absolutely does. Once the aftermarket addresses the wheel hop issue (as much as it can be addressed) I think the GT will be a world class car with no problem.
As another S-197 owner ! I also don't agree with some of the negative comments being made, as I continue getting compliments on my 2006 GT even though it's going on 9 years old.. But it's just as you said the S-197's are instant classics that will never fall out of favor nor desirability and I couldn't agree more with you just as many others who also don't look at the S-197 as being dated who continue to give the thumbs up even to this day..

As for the S550 is concerned, I believe most are also fully aware that I've posted nothing but positive feedback about the new 2015 Mustang and have done so by giving congrats to each member on these forums that post pics of their new S550 models..
Old 2/3/15, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by tom281
I don't know if we should be flattered or scared of your twisted fantasies.
Old 2/3/15, 07:07 PM

Well, most of that has come from some dude who's screen name is a crappy mid-engine Pontiac from the 1980's and he has been thoroughly shown to be clueless about his claims. lol
I know exactly whom your referring to.. And I did respond in regards to his ignorant comments and ridiculous claims !
Old 2/3/15, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Drive it...
Seriously.

If you are worried about a bit of numbers, well then you'll always be worried about the next vehicle to come along.

The new attributes and stylings of this car both inside and out trump a bit of acceleration.
And who keeps it stock anyway.
I would have to agree with this reply 100% as the true combination of muscle car and sports car have finally met in the middle! Have you seen the numbers when modified? It is always a give and take no matter what anyway. Personally I wait for a good low mileage yuppy thought I could handle it trade in anyhow......so time is on my side!

Quick Reply: Has the loss of acceleration performance cooled your enthusiasm for the S550?