2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Has the loss of acceleration performance cooled your enthusiasm for the S550?

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/14, 12:04 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Definitely disappointed, but not enough to keep me from buying one.
Old 10/14/14, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol at all the GT owners that suddenly dont care about a few tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile "thats a huge gap in the 1/4 btw". Maybe you guys should be driving Toyota Corollas! 😂😂 ....Sad to see this type of thinking. Its this kind of thinking that ruins great cars! If nobody bought this new car, Ford would overhaul it and next year it would be faster and better looking! But as long as there are individuals willing to give up there money for junk.. These automakers are more than happy to sell you junk!

Last edited by Astenax; 10/14/14 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10/14/14, 12:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
More-door ATS with the 321hp 3.6L V6 weighs in at ~3,500 lb...or 300lbs lighter than the S550. Yes, it will possibly require a bit more weight to be suitable for 400 lb/ft of torque...but it's entirely possible that with some de-contenting, development and a Camaro might not weigh much more than that. The LT-1 may not even weigh much more than the 3.6L...
If the S550 didn't lose weight, I don't see how the Camaro will, especially seeing the spy shots showing the car to be about the same exact size as the current car.
Old 10/14/14, 12:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
If the S550 didn't lose weight, I don't see how the Camaro will, especially seeing the spy shots showing the car to be about the same exact size as the current car.
I have been following the spy shots and leaked info...yes, the spy shots show very familiar sheet metal but I haven't seen anything that gives a hint of size/weight. Have you seen a source predicting anything other than a smaller car with a big weight loss?

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...maro-spy-shots

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...he-2016-camaro
Old 10/14/14, 12:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I have been following the spy shots and leaked info...yes, the spy shots show very familiar sheet metal but I haven't seen anything that gives a hint of size/weight. Have you seen a source predicting anything other than a smaller car with a big weight loss? http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...maro-spy-shots http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...he-2016-camaro

How many sources predicted a smaller car with a huge weight loss for the 2015 Mustang..............
Old 10/14/14, 01:06 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
More-door ATS with the 321hp 3.6L V6 weighs in at ~3,500 lb...or 300lbs lighter than the S550. Yes, it will possibly require a bit more weight to be suitable for 400 lb/ft of torque...but it's entirely possible that with some de-contenting, development and a Camaro might not weigh much more than that. The LT-1 may not even weigh much more than the 3.6L...
A lot of assumptions.
It has to be designed for vert applications and high HP/Torque from the SS, Z28, ZL1 type of variants.

It'll need more bracing and structural upgrades.
4 doors also have different structural needs compared to a 2 door.
Can't say whether or not it meets those requirements right now, but taking in the weight it is now, I doubt it (personally).
Old 10/14/14, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok...so we've all seen the videos that show the S550 GT at a couple of tenths slower than the S197s despite extra rubber and stronger 5.0L. We've also seen that the new Ecoboost cannot best the V6 of the outgoing model...

Has this cooled anybody's enthusiasm? Did you change your plans?

I'm still on the fence with buying an S550 of my own. I like the styling, I love the interior but I'm thoroughly enjoying my current car and I really need some objective improvements that will make me want to take on a car payment again and so far, that hasn't showed up.
Let's wait and see what Evan Smith can get out of it!!!!
Old 10/14/14, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
That's true, but the S550 gained weight due to IRS. The Camaro already had that, so I'd say it has better chances of loosing (or at least not gaining) weight than the S550 did.
Old 10/14/14, 01:21 PM
Banned

I hear you guys who don't worry about the .1s here or there...but isn't that the point of the Mustang? The most thrust for the buck...
^ This! This is exactly why I got my '14 GT TP in the first place. Best lb/HP I could find under $35k. 3618lbs / 420hp = 8.6lb/HP
Old 10/14/14, 01:31 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottsGT
In my 35 years of driving to work everyday, I've never been concerned about the tenth of a second in the quarter mile. It never got me to work faster. I'm buying this car because of what it is, not how fast it is. I'm content with my manhood!
Originally Posted by stupidgenius36

So EB or V6?
Originally Posted by ScottsGT

Both GT's *****es!
I thought so...thanks for proving that point quickly and easily.

The majority of owners will not make a single mod to their Mustang. But they do care how fast it is on paper, simply for bragging rights. I'd even bet there's a good chunk of buyers that base their decision (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, etc.) solely on which one is faster...even if it is only by 1/10th.

I'm not impressed by the exterior. The interior is nothing special. And now the performance is disappointing. Overall, I find everything about the 2015 underwhelming. After seeing it in person recently at a show, and noticing the lack of crowd around it, I'd say a good chunk of the general population feels the same way...
Old 10/14/14, 02:52 PM
Cobra Member

Is it just me, or does it seem like the people who are the harshest critics of the 2015 are people who already have a late-model Mustang? It's like listening to a retiree pound the table and tell you how the whole industry has gone to hell since they left the workforce.
Old 10/14/14, 02:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Not really it's more like wishing for vast improvement over the outgoing model and not receiving it. Better looking exterior? Debatable. Nicer interior? Depends on your definition of nice; and also what your expectation is for your purchase. Better technology? Definitely. Better street manners? Probably. Better all around performance? Maybe. Faster acceleration? Nope.
Old 10/14/14, 05:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be careful assuming this car is slower than the outgoing in the quarter. One of the mags (MT) got 12.8 @112 and we've seen some videos surfacing of high 12s low 13s but with good trap speeds....113 I saw on m6g....We have no idea yet what the variables are, in fact some of the videos state they were driven straight from a dealer and they have 20" wheels, which means they are probably loaded with options running on 87 octane and not yet broken in. I am pretty sure this car is about equal to the outgoing model and once people learn to launch with the IRS and the cars are broken in you'll see mid to high 12s are the norm from those who can drive. Plus it is faster on the track as Ford keeps stating it beats the Boss

Last edited by Fox9350; 10/14/14 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10/15/14, 04:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you believe some of the dyno runs, CJ got 412hp and Steeda got 392hp on 93 octane. You never seen a previous gen car get those #'s stock. Revolution got 386hp on 87. The trap #'s are stronger also.
Old 10/15/14, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=RandyW;6859946]Is it just me, or does it seem like the people who are the harshest critics of the 2015 are people who already have a late-model Mustang? It's like listening to a retiree pound the table and tell you how the whole industry has gone to hell since they left the workforce.[/QUOT

Been saying this for months, and still believe it.
I ordered mine on looks, and the promise of the IRS. I plan on doing the mods we all have grown to know and love.
Give me the difference between the SS with the 1le package, and my new 'Stang will beat the Camaro...they are def. more expensive. About $3K.
Old 10/15/14, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Garbone
Been saying this for months, and still believe it.
I ordered mine on looks, and the promise of the IRS. I plan on doing the mods we all have grown to know and love.
Give me the difference between the SS with the 1le package, and my new 'Stang will beat the Camaro...they are def. more expensive. About $3K.
Doubt it. 2 seconds would be very hard to make up around the Streets of Willow. The IRS in the 2015 and the extra engine mods made the 2015 1.4 faster on that track than the 2014, but to make up another 2s with just suspension mods would be a tall order.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 10/16/14 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10/16/14, 05:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Is it just me, or does it seem like the people who are the harshest critics of the 2015 are people who already have a late-model Mustang? It's like listening to a retiree pound the table and tell you how the whole industry has gone to hell since they left the workforce.

Yes! This is typical with every new generation of a beloved car. People become emotionally invested in their own version and it's sometimes easier to find faults with the new version rather than facing the cognitive dissonance that comes with admitting faults in the car that you have been praising for a long time.

That said, some of us (yours truly for example) are in a position (both emotionally and financially) to buy the new car but need to weigh the value of the improvements...and seeing disappointments like this are sometimes enough to make the purchase less enticing.

I dig the S550s a lot. The styling is great, interiors are beautiful, new version of the already spectacular Coyote sounds like a win...but all of the promises upon which I based my plans of actually buying one have been met with fail.

Lighter? Nope
Smaller? Nope
Faster in the quarter? Nope
More sportscar-like in driving experience? Nope
End of Wheelhop issues with modern suspension? NOPE
A huge leap in road course performance? Nope

Buying one? Nope
(at least not yet...)

Last edited by MRGTX; 10/16/14 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10/16/14, 09:39 AM
Cobra Member

I dig the S550s a lot. The styling is great, interiors are beautiful, new version of the already spectacular Coyote sounds like a win...but all of the promises upon which I based my plans of actually buying one have been met with fail.

Lighter? Nope
Smaller? Nope
Faster in the quarter? Nope
More sportscar-like in driving experience? Nope
End of Wheelhop issues with modern suspension? NOPE
A huge leap in road course performance? Nope

Buying one? Nope
(at least not yet...)
It sounds like the changes in suspension and steering DO give it more of a sports car feel. But I take your point. In most respects the difference between the 2011-14 and the 2015 is not night-and-day. Just about everything has been improved but the scale of the improvement is not huge. After having put a few thousand dollars into customizing my 2011 I'm in no hurry at all to replace mine with a new one, either.

My point wasn't that everyone should be super enthused about the 2015 and rush out and buy one. It's that the people who are using words like trash and junk to describe the 2015 are probably not being very objective because their ego is so tied up in the car they just bought in the last few years. It's like the people who absolutely dump on the Camaro. I have reasons for preferring the Mustang but I don't think that the Camaro is garbage and that the people who buy them are mentally defective. They just have slightly different taste than me.
Old 10/16/14, 12:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
It sounds like the changes in suspension and steering DO give it more of a sports car feel. But I take your point. In most respects the difference between the 2011-14 and the 2015 is not night-and-day. Just about everything has been improved but the scale of the improvement is not huge. After having put a few thousand dollars into customizing my 2011 I'm in no hurry at all to replace mine with a new one, either.

My point wasn't that everyone should be super enthused about the 2015 and rush out and buy one. It's that the people who are using words like trash and junk to describe the 2015 are probably not being very objective because their ego is so tied up in the car they just bought in the last few years. It's like the people who absolutely dump on the Camaro. I have reasons for preferring the Mustang but I don't think that the Camaro is garbage and that the people who buy them are mentally defective. They just have slightly different taste than me.

I pretty much agree with all of this.
Old 10/16/14, 03:43 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I'll buy one in a few more years. I've had my 2011 for 4 years and 5 months and only have 21,200 miles.

With the extra weight of the IRS, i don't see why Ford didn't try to get the weight distribution 50% front and 50% rear? That would have been something to 'brag about', in my opinion

Quick Reply: Has the loss of acceleration performance cooled your enthusiasm for the S550?