2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ford to Build the 2015 GT350!

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/13 | 09:11 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by jace1987

I have to agree; too narrow of a power gap between base and V6.

2.3 Ecoboost Base model (285-300hp)-it might most likely be a 2.0 Eco.
3.7 V6 base(330 hp) with optional 3.5 Ecoboost V6 (365 hp)
GT, Carryover V8 (440-450hp)
GT350 DI 5.0L V8 (525 hp)
GT500 Ecoboost(twin turbo and DI) 5.0L V8 (600+ hp)-probably not available until 2016/17.

All come standard with SRA, with optional IRS for those who want it. And hopefully no MT82s. I could be wrong about the power gaps though. The ford edge 3.5L V6 is rated very close to the 3.7L V6 sport (less than 20 hp gap.) So who knows
Standard sra? Hasnt it been confirmed that an IRA will be used already? Amd an ira option? That would be faaaaarrrrrr from cost effective
Old 1/4/13 | 10:28 AM

I might edit the above slightly to:

S: 2.0 Ecoboost Base model (275hp) -As much for the higher MPG as anything else. Maybe going to 2.3l but more for a broadened torque band than peak numbers.

SE: 3.7 V6 base (325-350 hp) - A V motor upgrade that will provide good performance and music (beyond a four banger blat), and distinguish it from the increasingly ubiquitous UTF (Universal Turbo Four), yet still with good mpg.

ST: 3.5 Ecoboost V6 (375-400 hp) - Seems to be working well in the F-150 trucks, so why not on the Stangs. Basically, this will be a more avant garde approach to performance and more mpg-friendly option than the...

GT: 5.0 V8 (425hp) - Basically a carry over for those old-schoolers who must have a V8, if perhaps with DI more for mpg than hp benefits.

GT350: DI 5.0L V8 (450-475 hp) - Basically a tuned GT 5.0 with added DI (presuming GT doesn't already have it). While only slightly more powerful than the Boss models it supersedes, lighter weight and modern suspension will give significantly better overall performance.

GT500: EB 5.0 (twin turbo and DI) 5.0L V8 (550-600 hp) - Maybe down somewhat from the stratospheric (ridiculous) power levels of the SC 5.7, but lighter weight, sleeker body and better trannies will basically maintain performance but with a significant boost in mpg and decrease in stink. Rumors hint that it might well appear in MY 2015, if not launched right alongside the lesser Stangs.

If the lineup is a bit cluttered between the 2nd and 4th options, then I would surmise the 3.7 would be the one to go.

Overall there won't be huge boosts in HP and, in some instances, the numbers might go down a bit (GT500). However, there will be a greater emphasis on overall performance with the new, lighter, sleeker and more sophisticated S550 platform, so actual numerical performance will at least be maintained if not increased slightly.

Dynamic, and thus useable, performance will be much better than the current platform and driving enjoyment even greater yet. It will be less about simply how fast the Stang will go (still very fast), but how well the Stang goes fast (much better). All this while complying with ever more stringent efficiency and stink standards.

Pure/simple numbers guys and bar stool racers might be slightly disappointed by this seeming stasis, but those who actually take the wheel and drive will be delighted by the actual experience.

Anyways, there my crystal ball, for today.
Old 1/4/13 | 10:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
I might edit the above slightly to:

S: 2.0 Ecoboost Base model (275hp) -As much for the higher MPG as anything else. Maybe going to 2.3l but more for a broadened torque band than peak numbers.

SE: 3.7 V6 base (325-350 hp) - A V motor upgrade that will provide good performance and music (beyond a four banger blat), and distinguish it from the increasingly ubiquitous UTF (Universal Turbo Four), yet still with good mpg.

ST: 3.5 Ecoboost V6 (375-400 hp) - Seems to be working well in the F-150 trucks, so why not on the Stangs. Basically, this will be a more avant garde approach to performance and more mpg-friendly option than the...

GT: 5.0 V8 (425hp) - Basically a carry over for those old-schoolers who must have a V8, if perhaps with DI more for mpg than hp benefits.

GT350: DI 5.0L V8 (450-475 hp) - Basically a tuned GT 5.0 with added DI (presuming GT doesn't already have it). While only slightly more powerful than the Boss models it supersedes, lighter weight and modern suspension will give significantly better overall performance.

GT500: EB 5.0 (twin turbo and DI) 5.0L V8 (550-600 hp) - Maybe down somewhat from the stratospheric (ridiculous) power levels of the SC 5.7, but lighter weight, sleeker body and better trannies will basically maintain performance but with a significant boost in mpg and decrease in stink. Rumors hint that it might well appear in MY 2015, if not launched right alongside the lesser Stangs.

If the lineup is a bit cluttered between the 2nd and 4th options, then I would surmise the 3.7 would be the one to go.

Overall there won't be huge boosts in HP and, in some instances, the numbers might go down a bit (GT500). However, there will be a greater emphasis on overall performance with the new, lighter, sleeker and more sophisticated S550 platform, so actual numerical performance will at least be maintained if not increased slightly.

Dynamic, and thus useable, performance will be much better than the current platform and driving enjoyment even greater yet. It will be less about simply how fast the Stang will go (still very fast), but how well the Stang goes fast (much better). All this while complying with ever more stringent efficiency and stink standards.

Pure/simple numbers guys and bar stool racers might be slightly disappointed by this seeming stasis, but those who actually take the wheel and drive will be delighted by the actual experience.

Anyways, there my crystal ball, for today.

I've been saying this, minus the GT350 and probably minus the EB V6, but it does make for more choices. I think if Ford could leverage this many models under the Mustang lineup, they'd sell 200k easy. I'd swap the V6 and turbo 4 models though -

Base - 3.7 V6 carryover - fleet sales and budget minded consumers

ST - 2.3 T, 330/350 hp/torque - premium 4 banger option with higher mpg, and more torque than base model, spiritual successor to SVO

GT - 5.0 V8 carryover

GT350 - if Ford even gets the rights to use the name, 5.0 H.O. V8 or maybe EcoBoost V6, spiritual successor to original GT350 and/or Boss, I'd bet a tuned 5.0 though, and leave the EcoBoost V6 out of the Mustang altogether

GT500 - TT 5.0 V8 EgoBoost
Old 1/4/13 | 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I've been saying this, minus the GT350 and probably minus the EB V6, but it does make for more choices. I think if Ford could leverage this many models under the Mustang lineup, they'd sell 200k easy. I'd swap the V6 and turbo 4 models though -

Base - 3.7 V6 carryover - fleet sales and budget minded consumers

ST - 2.3 T, 330/350 hp/torque - premium 4 banger option with higher mpg, and more torque than base model, spiritual successor to SVO

GT - 5.0 V8 carryover

GT350 - if Ford even gets the rights to use the name, 5.0 H.O. V8 or maybe EcoBoost V6, spiritual successor to original GT350 and/or Boss, I'd bet a tuned 5.0 though, and leave the EcoBoost V6 out of the Mustang altogether

GT500 - TT 5.0 V8 EgoBoost

I dont think you will see anything between the base model and the GT, I dont think having a v6 and turbo 4 would make alot of sense as they would most likely be cannibalizing v6 buyers rather than bringing in incremental customers. I would think ford will go with one of them but not both. ford knows the typical base engine buyer is not an all out performance enthusiast (not that there are not a few budget minded ones out there) even the performance pack for the current v6 still retains the 120 mph speed limiter. I would think that if the turbo 4 offers the performance a customer would expect from a 20-25k base engine sports coupe they will go that route. if they feel a customer would not be happy with the performance they will stick with the v6.

I agree that the ecoboost 3.5 is a huge long shot, ford just doesn't sell enough mustangs to make it worth while to set the car up for basically the same performance as the GT with only a few MPG improvement. for a low volume vehicle it just wouldnt make sense to have numerous variants that they cannot charge significantly more for. from the f150 we know the 3.5 is actually more expensive than the 5.0 to put in a vehicle and ford sells more 3.5 ecoboost pickups than they do total mustangs. unlike the f150 the 5.0 is actually a better motor for this application with all things considered, raw, power, feel, sound...
Old 1/4/13 | 11:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by xlover

I dont think you will see anything between the base model and the GT, I dont think having a v6 and turbo 4 would make alot of sense as they would most likely be cannibalizing v6 buyers rather than bringing in incremental customers. I would think ford will go with one of them but not both. ford knows the typical base engine buyer is not an all out performance enthusiast (not that there are not a few budget minded ones out there) even the performance pack for the current v6 still retains the 120 mph speed limiter. I would think that if the turbo 4 offers the performance a customer would expect from a 20-25k base engine sports coupe they will go that route. if they feel a customer would not be happy with the performance they will stick with the v6.

I agree that the ecoboost 3.5 is a huge long shot, ford just doesn't sell enough mustangs to make it worth while to set the car up for basically the same performance as the GT with only a few MPG improvement. for a low volume vehicle it just wouldnt make sense to have numerous variants that they cannot charge significantly more for. from the f150 we know the 3.5 is actually more expensive than the 5.0 to put in a vehicle and ford sells more 3.5 ecoboost pickups than they do total mustangs. unlike the f150 the 5.0 is actually a better motor for this application with all things considered, raw, power, feel, sound...
Yes, but Ford isn't going to put a turbo 4 engine into the base model. It doesn't make financial sense for fleet cars. That and the turbo 4 is a premium option in most of the cars it's offered in, even the Edge and Explorer, not to mention the Fusion, Escape and Focus ST. That engine isn't a base model engine. Hyundai can get away with it because they don't sell G Coupes to fleets, they don't have a V8 high end model, and the 2.0T is marketed as a track car. It's already been said that a version of EcoBoost will show up in the next Mustang, so we know it's coming.

I just don't see the lineup going turbo 4 to V8, though. I think they will carryover the V6 as the bargain basement model, that they can sell to rental agencies and people who want the simple 4-seat coupe without all the "doodads," then be able to sell the 2.0/2.3T model as a premium offering, with higher mpg and better performance than the V6. I guess we'll find out soon though...

Last edited by laserred38; 1/4/13 at 11:41 AM.
Old 1/4/13 | 12:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I heard rumors back when CS first passed that Ford was toying with the idea of buying Shelby America complete. Anyone heard this?
Old 1/4/13 | 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, but Ford isn't going to put a turbo 4 engine into the base model. It doesn't make financial sense for fleet cars. That and the turbo 4 is a premium option in most of the cars it's offered in, even the Edge and Explorer, not to mention the Fusion, Escape and Focus ST. That engine isn't a base model engine. Hyundai can get away with it because they don't sell G Coupes to fleets, they don't have a V8 high end model, and the 2.0T is marketed as a track car. It's already been said that a version of EcoBoost will show up in the next Mustang, so we know it's coming.

I just don't see the lineup going turbo 4 to V8, though. I think they will carryover the V6 as the bargain basement model, that they can sell to rental agencies and people who want the simple 4-seat coupe without all the "doodads," then be able to sell the 2.0/2.3T model as a premium offering, with higher mpg and better performance than the V6. I guess we'll find out soon though...
I agree with some of those principals however I think the difference would be that the mustang isnt a typical fleet car even when it is bought by rental agencies. It is an upgrade to a sporty coupe or convertible. If you use the same logic the 3.7 V6 isnt in any of those vehicles either and is the base engine. I think the mustang needs to be looked at differently than those because it occupies a different consumer space. We dont actually have a good comparison on where the 3.7 fits into fords engine hierarchy, i believe it is going to be an option on the MKZ above the ecoboost 2.0. so they may look at an ecoboost 2.3 and 3.7 as equivalent engines in the brand hierarchy. If that is true and performance is similar then i would think they would go with the better mileage option turbo 4 or no because it may be more value add to get better mpg base models out there to counter GTs, GT350s GT500s . plus the simplicity of offering only 1 engine for the base car. especially if your average consumer is going to be indifferent or you can convince them through marketing it is going to be better. fleet sales are so low for mustang as a % of fords total fleet sales and as a % of mustang i dont think they would need to set up a 3.7 for just that reason. But at this point i know as much as you do... just thinking for fun!
Old 1/7/13 | 11:12 AM
GTR Member

If this is true, I don't see it being anything other than a bespoke V8 for the car. Knowing the kinds of witchcraft and voodoo that SVT can whip up, I hope it's some type of NA Boss 302/ZL1 on steroids. Do the same thing they did with Raptor to Mustang; go outside their comfort zone and make one wild ride.

Last edited by Overboost; 1/7/13 at 11:22 AM.
Old 1/7/13 | 11:16 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
If this is true, I don't see it being anything other than a bespoke V8 for the car. Knowing the kinds of witchcraft and voodoo that SVT can whip up, I hope it's some type of NA Boss 302/ZL1 on steroids. Do the same thing they did with Raptor to Mustang; go outside their comfort zone and make one wild ride.
Pixie dust and unicorn blood seems to have worked for them so far....

Lil bit of black magic never hurt anyone.

Last edited by Boomer; 1/7/13 at 11:21 AM.
Old 1/7/13 | 11:22 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Boomer

Pixie dust and unicorn blood seems to have worked for them so far....

Lil bit of black magic never hurt anyone.
It's not long until they start making sacrifices at the altar then.
Old 1/7/13 | 11:24 AM
Post *****

Pixie Dust and Unicorn Blood
That would be a cool band name!

Back to topic.
Old 1/7/13 | 11:37 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I think it would be smart to have a turbo 4 and a 5.0 v8 and a gt500. Having more engines options doesnt make the car cooler.
Old 1/7/13 | 11:45 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I think it would be smart to have a turbo 4 and a 5.0 v8 and a gt500. Having more engines options doesnt make the car cooler.
I really can't see them offering much more than that.

Base/GT/SVT
with the odd SE every cycle or 2

I doubt we'd see 2x SVT vehicles at the same time, on the same platform.
Old 1/7/13 | 11:49 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

if they had that many options.. why not just add the two fo three engines like the 1.6, 2.0 and the power stroke.. oh wait!! I want a power stroke 7.3 engine.

Old 1/7/13 | 01:09 PM
GTR Member

I really can't see them offering much more than that.

Base/GT/SVT
with the odd SE every cycle or 2

I doubt we'd see 2x SVT vehicles at the same time, on the same platform.

I think we've been spoilt by having both the Boss and the GT500 available at the same time.

Just thinking out loud..........Perhaps a GT350 would sit somewhere in the middle.......less powerful than the GT500, but a better balanced package, like the Boss. Lets face it, if the Trinity engine was a 2 year only deal, then beating 662bhp for the next generation car is going to be tough. I don't see it happening. But a Mustang that has the track ability of the Boss, with power somewhere between the Boss' 444bhp and the GT500's 662bhp would be quite a car!

Also, from a marketing perspective, any new GT500 with less than 662bhp would be a backward step. But call it GT350, and that issue goes away. I'm aware the monikers have nothing to do with the power outputs of the two cars, but Joe Public will always expect a GT500 to be top dog in the power stakes.

Old 1/7/13 | 01:14 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I think we've been spoilt by having both the Boss and the GT500 available at the same time.

Just thinking out loud..........Perhaps a GT350 would sit somewhere in the middle.......less powerful than the GT500, but a better balanced package, like the Boss. Lets face it, if the Trinity engine was a 2 year only deal, then beating 662bhp for the next generation car is going to be tough. I don't see it happening. But a Mustang that has the track ability of the Boss, with power somewhere between the Boss' 444bhp and the GT500's 662bhp would be quite a car!

Also, from a marketing perspective, any new GT500 with less than 662bhp would be a backward step. But call it GT350, and that issue goes away. I'm aware the monikers have nothing to do with the power outputs of the two cars, but Joe Public will always expect a GT500 to be top dog in the power stakes.

Well the last time that happened, we got the Mach1/SVT Cobra in 2003/2004.
Seems to skip each other gen and come in closer to the end of the runs.
And then notice how the next version of the GT always seems to be closer to the outgoing SE wrt performance or HP.
In that case I'd guess we'll probably see some BOSS stuff or numbers trickle to the next GT.

If history repeats itself, we'll see the base/GT come forward at the beginning with an SVT at the same time or just after. Probably no SE for a while, unless its like a Bullitt type compared to an all out BOSS.

I'm really interested to see what SVT has up its sleeve.
Kids let loose in the candy shop.

Last edited by Boomer; 1/7/13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 1/7/13 | 06:35 PM
Cobra R Member

All the talk of engine and nomenclature is fine and. Good but I'm excited to see what Ford can do with IRS on a Mustang. A lot of praise is been heaped on the chassis engineers across platforms lately, so I'm excited to SE what an unchained Mustang is capable of. I want to see the 1LE and ZL1 relegated back to where they belong...playing catch up.
Old 1/7/13 | 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Agreed, the Eco motors are always a higher option than the base motor.

Dave
Old 1/7/13 | 08:46 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Agreed, the Eco motors are always a higher option than the base motor.

Dave
And the 3.7 was reserved for higher end passenger cars like the Fusion Sport
They are throwing the EcoBoosts in everything now.
I don't see it geting the V6, but the I4-T is perfectly fine for a base car.

It might also sway buyers that are younger and can't get an 8, but wouldn't 'be caught dead in a V6'
"But its got a TURBO!"
Old 1/7/13 | 09:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

And the 3.7 was reserved for higher end passenger cars like the Fusion Sport
They are throwing the EcoBoosts in everything now.
I don't see it geting the V6, but the I4-T is perfectly fine for a base car.

It might also sway buyers that are younger and can't get an 8, but wouldn't 'be caught dead in a V6'
"But its got a TURBO!"
Little different on the V6 thing, as the 3.5 and 3.7 are essentially the same engine, and an N/A engine is less expensive to produce than a turbo engine. And they're not throwing the EcoBoost engines in everything - they're still a premium option in everything.

Quick Reply: Ford to Build the 2015 GT350!