2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Brand new 2016 Mustang GT random misfire please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/15, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
It's been in the shop once... Don't be paying an attorney anything yet. Lemon Laws typically dictate a certain number of days in the shop for the same problem, and having that problem not be fixed. It's VERY early for any of that.
I guess you haven't been reading all my posts. This is the 3rd time it's been in service for the same problem. The lemon law states you have to give the dealership a reasonable amount of attempts (4 attempts) to fix it. The lawyer I hired specializes in cases like this, he doesn't charge anything out pocket. If we win, ford pays him not me. If we don't win I don't pay him. He only takes cases that he believes has a very good chance of winning. I faxed him all the service reports as well as sent him 3 videos of the same issue and they believe we have a strong case. I just really want a new vehicle without problems, not a new vehicle with problems that's eventually fixed.
Old 12/18/15, 04:56 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the a problem with misfire in my 2013. It only happened only at a relatively high RPM (4k+), and not consistently. It typically presented with a blinking CEL + obvious misfire conditions (severe power loss, extremely rough running), though sometimes there was only a blinking CEL.

It took me several trips to the dealer (only one near me) to convince them there was a problem. They made excuses up and down, left and right (said there were no codes, or that the codes weren't useful, etc.) and even replaced a motor mount assuming I didn't know what the hell a misfiring engine was like. I had to do the diagnostic work myself (find a consistent way to reproduce the misfire).

Eventually the problem was tracked down to a sensor on the crankshaft being bad (can't remember exact details, will edit post after I get home and can look at records). However, I got the feeling it was a known/common problem as the tech talked about having a "specific procedure required by ford he has to follow". First they tried a shim, then replaced the sensor.

Assuming you can't get to a better dealer, I would work your engine (assuming it's broken in) to try to find a way to reproduce the misfire consistently. Hold high RPM (mine sometimes took several minutes at 4k+), do some aggressive up/down shifts, etc. Be a little rough with it, and see what you can find out. And, very importantly, if you reproduce the misfire, take the car *directly* to the deader and leave it running so the codes stay in memory. Apparently FORD is too cheap to add any/enough persistent memory to their onboard computers?

Also, don't assume the guy taking down your info when you bring it in is a.) competent, and b.) not an ***. My "service assistant" took down my information wrong and ended up wasting my time and his businesses' time by giving the tech/mechanic a completely wrong set of symptoms and obviously thought I was an idiot that didn't know the difference between a normal running engine and one with a misfire.

Write your symptoms down yourself; and ask to talk to the tech directly.
Old 12/20/15, 04:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am hoping you get a resolution soon. I bleed Ford blue too. I do hope Ford helps to resolve your problem. I can kinda understand problems at a dealership level, but I certainly would hope, Ford would do right.
Old 12/31/15, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys, Just to let you know the nightmare that I am also going through. I bought my brand new 2016 Ecoboost Mustang in November 14th, 2015. I took delivery of it this Saturday around 5:00 p.m. Next day Monday I was in the dealership with a long list of defects. Among them are: the Engine taping/ticking/clicking (Tried another same car and it does not do this sound), hard vibrations starting 55Mph that feels unsafe to drive, Headlight switch loose, hood doesn' t close properly and when it does it is not aligned with bumper, scratch in right fender, rear bumper not aligned with body side panels, right door and left door not aligned with panels, it sticks out about 3 mm., dent in right side panel...Guess what dealership, Customer Service and everybody else say...Warranty will fix everything. Now after my car being nearly 40 days out of service in the shop, the car still have the same defects. Ford says they are trying to fix it. Reality is that I already paid 30K for a defective car that I cannot enjoy. It has been a great disappointment. I asked to replace the car, they say no. Be careful before you buy a new Mustang. Check it first, drive it first. No quality control in the factory. It has been a nightmare. I hope no one else has to go through the same than me.