GT

Drive Modes

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/15, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive Modes

I have a manual GT and wondering what exactly makes sport and track modes "more responsive"? In an auto I'd imagine higher rpm gear changes, but does the timing get advanced? different fuel map? Does something open up on the exhaust?
Old 9/14/15, 08:22 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've driven it in normal and "sport" mode, but haven't really noticed a difference. Whatever it's doing doesn't seem to be much.
Old 9/14/15, 08:28 AM

I haven't felt much difference either. Just wondering if its mostly a marketing gimmick, at least in the manual cars.
Old 9/14/15, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe it changes the throttle response, steering feel, and the amount of 'give' that traction and stability control allow before kicking in. Since it doesn't have adaptive dampers, it's not firming the suspension up, but they can do a lot to improve the dynamics through computer tweaks to the rest of the system.

JR
Old 9/24/15, 08:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by godspunk32
I believe it changes the throttle response, steering feel, and the amount of 'give' that traction and stability control allow before kicking in. Since it doesn't have adaptive dampers, it's not firming the suspension up, but they can do a lot to improve the dynamics through computer tweaks to the rest of the system. JR
That's exactly right. Throttle response, trac control, and stability control are the differences. If you drive it hard I think it's easy to tell the differences, but dd not much different besides throttle control.
Old 10/26/15, 11:40 AM
GT Member

Sport+ is noticeable in the overall Advanced Trac interventions, and steering feel between the 3 modes ("Normal", "Sport" and "Comfort") are all easily felt at the wheel. Track mode over Sport+ incrementally seems to me to add a smidgen of throttle response, disabled traction control, and the steering is still in Sport mode so no difference. I haven't tossed the car sideways hard enough yet to see how much more the relaxed Advanced Trac mode will let it play. "Snow / Wet" sharply relaxes everything, especially throttle response. You can really feel it holding the accelerator pedal back from responding.

I've yet to test in winter driving . . . the next change I have in the coming months to hit a slow covered, empty parking lot I'll really know what the ramifications are! Rather than roast my new tires experimenting on dry pavement
Old 10/28/15, 10:50 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to me when in sport or trac mode I get a terrific response difference than in normal mode. Its quicker.
Old 11/8/15, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
its the gas pedal, in sports mode or track mode it increases throttle sensitivity so it uses more gas but theres more instant power
Old 11/16/15, 06:07 PM
V6 Member

I actually get better MPG in sport plus. I have the pp and the gearing in normal mode was eating gas. The past couple days I've been in sport plus and I got back up to 17.2 from 16.4. Something about the response and gearing just makes more sense to me in the sport plus.
Old 2/15/16, 05:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
BEST ANSWER

Originally Posted by Fastnloud
I have a manual GT and wondering what exactly makes sport and track modes "more responsive"? In an auto I'd imagine higher rpm gear changes, but does the timing get advanced? different fuel map? Does something open up on the exhaust?
Normal Mode = economy mode practically (sucks)

Sport+ mode = true throttle limited only by traction control, sport steering, rpm's will not drop below ~2000rpm which will result in engine breaking as you decelerate, gears will hold after aggressive throttle until you drive at a constant speed, then it will upshift. If you drive over ~60mph, 6th gear will engage because at that speed you are over 2000rpm. Therefore, awesome for highway driving over 60mph, but might be too aggressive for city driving.

Track mode = same in every way to Sport+ except, traction is reduced but not removed entirely. What this means is that when you perform WOT's you won't experience lag, making it more "responsive" when you do WOT's. (roll at any speed for example and WOT in Sport+ and then in Track and you'll notice an annoying lag in Sport+ and it's absence in Track). Perfect for racing!

Best to get a custom tune to change Normal mode with unhindered throttle response subject to traction control and sharper shifts. Add additional HP in the process and live happily ever after!

Last edited by ohlang; 2/15/16 at 05:33 PM.