2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

5.0 Totaled? Advice/Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/20, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 Totaled? Advice/Discuss

Unfortunate to be introducing myself this way, but I've got a situation. So single lane on highway because construction, a truck rear ends a small compact car. I'm able to swerve and avoid smashing into the back of the truck, but there was not a big of enough space between the truck and the divider on the highway (only one lane again) so the trucks driver side bumper runs down the passenger side of my car. No citations were written, but the other two involved first said there was a fourth car in the very front who caused the pile up and then fled the scene. Then the cop tells me the truck driver says I slammed into the back of him speeding and caused him to hit the car in front of him. Crew cap F-150 and I think a civic are the other vehicles. I never saw a 4th vehicle. Will attach pics of everything. Curious what everyone thinks. I don't know what to do really, first accident. Vehicle drove home perfectly fine, straight as she ever drove and comfortable. Passenger window does not roll down (I believe) door opens and shuts like perfect. So the cars home in my driveway and the claims been started, but I'm so bummed I might lose my (new to me) 5.0. Thanks everybody.

Front end after all involved pulled into a gas station after accident.

The first vehicle of three that the truck hit

This is where the truck impacted the blue car. Quite a hard hit that he says I caused from hitting him from behind. Notice the front of my S550. I doesn't make sense that I caused a crew cab to collide that hard with that car and then have the damage that I do on my mustang.

The bumper that went down the passenger side of my car.
Old 7/28/20, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better Pics of 5.0

I'm 97% sure this is all the damage to my Stang. It's a 2015 Comp Orange GT Premium PP1. Thankyou for anyone who replies. I appreciate it so much.

Old 7/28/20, 03:41 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,179 Likes on 1,626 Posts
I doubt it's totaled I hope it's all repairable for you!
Old 7/28/20, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,026 Posts
That looks quite repairable to me, if it drove find that is a good sign, but you never know . . . no doubt the bill will be a shocker.

I hope there were Police on the scene who can confirm your version of the story. I do not see any damage on the front of your car so it seems clear you did not hit anyone on the front. You should get the police report.

You'll need to work it out with your insurance. They should have you complete a form that asks what happened, and if there is any reason it was not your fault-- that is your chance to explain, and use the police report for backup. Again if someone claims you rear-ended them, you have the pictures of the front of the car that show it is undamanged.

You may have to argue a bit with the insurance company, but be persistent and it should get repaired and not go against your record or rates, assuming the story you told here is true.

Last edited by Bert; 7/28/20 at 04:13 PM.
Old 7/28/20, 07:05 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
It doesn't look that bad and will most likely be fixed versus totaled. Hitting the rear bumper of the truck like that could have pushed it into the car in front. Only the driver of the truck really knows if the impact from the rear was before or after the impact on the front. Good luck, dealing with insurance companies sucks.
Old 7/29/20, 04:06 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Let your insurance company worry about it. I had a wreck in 1980 that was my fault (only one in my life that was my fault). Years later I found out I was sued and my insurance paid out $25,000. Lot of money back then and my rates didn't go up one cent. Like others have said, I don't think your Mustang is totaled................
Old 7/29/20, 02:02 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
The guys above are spot on as long as you were within the construction zone speed limit. Car looks repairable to me. I do not see any major drive train issues or structure problems. Mostly cosmetic, ugly stuff, but repairable. Just turn in you claim. Work with your insurance, but make sure you tell the insurance the full story. They have ways of finding out what happened in an investigation if they are worth their salt. You should be fine. Good Luck!