2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Mustang towed 4 wheels down behind motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/18, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Mustang towed 4 wheels down behind motorhome

I have a motorhome and have thought about pulling my 2019 Mustang 4 wheel down. I have been told about drive shaft disconnects. I have a worry about the torque and horse power my 2019 GT will have. It can't be towed with a dolly and a flatbed trailer will be to awkward. I would love to tow it because I am retired and travel a couple months in the summer and go south for 3-4 months in the winter. I sure would appreciate any help with this. Has anyone tried something like this?
Old 8/29/18, 09:39 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Thoughts

Auto tranny would need the drive shaft disconnect.
Manual maybe can be towed without disconnect, but it will put stress on the rear of the tranny (bearings & seals).
Even this is really not for long distance (a couple hundred miles max).
I wouldn't really recommending towing any new vehicle. The stuff that get thrown back at the car (being so close) can really damage the paint.
Flat bed also adds weight to the tow equation.
The following users liked this post:
Thomas Wyman (12/9/18)
Old 8/29/18, 12:11 PM
GT Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Towing the Vehicle on Four Wheels

Emergency TowingWARNINGIf your vehicle has a steering wheel lock make sure the ignition is in the accessory or on position when being towed.
You can flat-tow (all wheels on the ground, regardless of the powertrain or transmission configuration) your disabled vehicle (without access to wheel dollies or vehicle transport trailer) under the following conditions:
  • Your vehicle is facing forward so you tow it in a forward direction.
  • You shift into neutral (N). If you cannot shift into neutral (N), you may need to override the gearshift lever.See Manual Transmission.
  • Maximum speed is 35 mph (56 km/h).
  • Maximum distance is 50 mi (80 km).
Recreational TowingNote: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle. See Manual Climate Control. Follow these guidelines if you have a need for recreational (RV) towing. An example of recreational towing would be towing your vehicle behind a motorhome. These guidelines are to make sure you do not damage the transmission during towing.Do not tow your vehicle with any wheels on the ground, as vehicle or transmission damage may occur. It is required to recreational tow your vehicle with all four wheels off the ground, for example when using a vehicle transport trailer. Otherwise, you cannot tow your vehicle.

From the owner's manual.
Thomas Wyman (12/9/18)
Old 8/29/18, 06:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
Unfortunately I think disconnecting the driveshaft is the only practical solution . . . and it really isn't very practical. Maybe some really good fabricator could make up some kind of "quick disconnect" but I can't think of how that would work right off.
Old 8/29/18, 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Sounds like you need a different motorhome

area5179 (8/30/18)
Old 8/29/18, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
Unfortunately I think disconnecting the driveshaft is the only practical solution . . . and it really isn't very practical. Maybe some really good fabricator could make up some kind of "quick disconnect" but I can't think of how that would work right off.
· Drive Shaft Disconnect by Superior Driveline makes them and there is a dealer right here in Des Moines, Iowa, just a couple miles away. Thanks for your input.

Old 8/29/18, 10:35 PM

Nice try, but I have one already and the car and the RV are both a light blue.
Old 8/29/18, 10:37 PM

Thank for your input. I already flat tow my wifes 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 8/29/18, 10:40 PM

Thanks for your input. Drive Shaft Disconnect by Superior Driveline makes them and there is a dealer right here in Des Moines, Iowa, just a couple miles away. Thanks for your input. I would have to put a shield on the setup.
Old 12/9/18, 10:09 AM

There are disconnect kits and a dealer is near me. I have a worry that the disconnect might not be able to handle the 460hp and the extra torque. I only hoped that I could tow it because I am a Snowbird/winter Texan. Thanks
Old 12/9/18, 10:11 AM

YES! Thought about one of these, then I laughed about it, and now I have forgotten about it. Thanks though
Old 9/5/20, 10:30 PM

Mustang Towing

Originally Posted by Thomas Wyman
I have a motorhome and have thought about pulling my 2019 Mustang 4 wheel down. I have been told about drive shaft disconnects. I have a worry about the torque and horse power my 2019 GT will have. It can't be towed with a dolly and a flatbed trailer will be to awkward. I would love to tow it because I am retired and travel a couple months in the summer and go south for 3-4 months in the winter. I sure would appreciate any help with this. Has anyone tried something like this?
I was wondering the same thing. I'm a travel nurse and want to transition to full time RV living instead of trying to secure housing every 13 weeks. I have two options: trade my Mustang in for a truck and get a travel trailer or (preferred) get a Class C motorhome and tow my Mustang. I have a 2018 GT MANUAL transmission. Is there a hitch that I can buy to tow my car behind my motorhome? I'm going to be alone a lot so it's not ideal to have a flatbed that I need to load the car on and get it tied down.
Old 9/6/20, 05:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
I think the posts earlier in this thread cover is all pretty well.

I think you could use a "dolly" to tow the Mustang, but the rear wheels would need to be up on the dolly which means the front wheels would be on the ground and would need to be locked straight so that the car tracks straight . . . I guess that could be done, but sounds iffy to me.

Yes there are hitches and set-ups available that allow you to tow "4-down" but the issue is that the rear wheels are connected to the output side of the transmission, so the transmission will be turning and generating heat while towing, and without the cooling system working it will get very hot and can cause damage. The only way around this with the Mustang, if I remember the earlier posts correctly, is to disconnect the driveshaft . . . which can be done, but is not super-convenient every time you hook-up to tow. See earlier posts for disconnect kit.

When I did this a while back, I bought a 4-wheel drive pickup truck, with a transmission that can be completely disconnected at the transfer case, so the wheels can turn without the transmission turning, and towed it 4-down. I had a Dodge Dakota pickup, 2003 model year if I remember correctly. Believe it or not, you tow with the transmission in park, and the transfer case in neutral.

Another consideration is that the towed vehicle should have its brakes activated when needed, so it is not pushing forward on the motor home. There are a few different ways to do this, we had a "brake buddy" which actually presses the brake pedal when it senses deceleration.

Good luck with it and let us know about your travels!
Old 9/6/20, 06:20 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Best of luck and I would also be interested in how you and your travels go.