2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang design discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/11, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Topnotch
2015 Mustang Picture framed and signed by J Mays and Moray Callum...

Seriously the Mustang can't survive on it's own platform going forward even without the idea of "One Ford". But seeing as this is the direction of the company the solid axle has to say goodbye. People are frazzled by the quotes of "non retro". Mostly this is about the underpinnings. The car will still very much look like a Mustang should. Going forward this car has to sustain two or more other vehicles. Most likely in 2015, the Falcon will gain from it and be sold to world markets (Fleet/Cop/Taxi Replacement state side). In 2016 you will see a Lincoln variant. If you really want a solid axle Stang, 2013-14 will be your years. The updates fix all the gripes people have about the black plastics/taillights/sync/brakes/etc.

Pretty much agree with Topnotch. A bespoke chassis is certainly NOT in the cards for the 2015 and while a lively axle may have a certain appeal to a specific subset of domestic drag racers, penny pinchers and Luddites, it would represent an immediate DSQ (disqualification) for any platform with shared global and/or upmarket aspirations. An outlier possibility would be some sort of live axle option on the Stang, but I don't see that as very likely at all.

As for styling, as I've mentioned previously, I think the Ford Evos Concept, stretched and tweaked appropriately, will give a good general indication of the far more modern, "evolved" if you will, interpretation of Mustang stylistic DNA will look like in 2015. 2013 will just be a running refresh and updating of the current platform, nothing too major.
Old 10/3/11, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kinyodas
I like big *****... it practically defines the mid 60's to early 70's American cars (my favorites).
Maybe strong, muscular haunches/hips, but the lower rear ends themselves tended to be much tauter, tighter and pulled up -- perkier if you will -- than the lumpy, droopy full-diaper of the 2010+ (and a lot of other cars nowadays).

Just compare a, say, '69 Stang rear:

Which has me think'n: "Mmmmm, nice tight, taut, pert yet muscular derierre, let's go for a spin."

With the lumpen mass of a 2010:

Which has me think'n: "Whoa, that fat azz sure has a bad case of cellulitis, get thee to a gym."
Old 10/3/11, 12:31 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Want to bet? LOL
I wouldn't bet against these fellas. When it comes to what's next for the Mustang, they're usually spot on

People are frazzled by the quotes of "non retro". Mostly this is about the underpinnings. The car will still very much look like a Mustang should.
Whoa! This is freaky. As I was driving home this evening, I got to thinking about the next-gen car and how worried I was that it may well be an Evos-themed Mustang, losing everything I fell in love with about the S197..........but, then I thought, what if the comments aren't about the looks, more the underpinnings? Whilst I have nothing against the SRA, I do agree the Mustang would struggle as a global product if it kept it post MY '15. So, I have no problem with an IRS, just so long as it drives like it's *** is on fire!

If it means it still looks like a Mustang ('67 Fastback or '69 Sportsroof "clones" for me, Mr May), then the future for Mustang is bright. VERY bright

Oh, and can I get a copy of the signed picture, too
Old 10/3/11, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

People are frazzled by the quotes of "non retro". Mostly this is about the underpinnings. The car will still very much look like a Mustang should. Going forward this car has to sustain two or more other vehicles.
Well, that's encouraging. Wish Mays had said that to begin with!

The updates fix all the gripes people have about the black plastics/taillights/sync/brakes/etc.
Looking forward to seeing this new refresh!
Old 10/3/11, 02:16 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
needs more rockets
Old 10/3/11, 04:03 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by rhumb
Maybe strong, muscular haunches/hips, but the lower rear ends themselves tended to be much tauter, tighter and pulled up -- perkier if you will -- than the lumpy, droopy full-diaper of the 2010+ (and a lot of other cars nowadays).

Which has me think'n: "Mmmmm, nice tight, taut, pert yet muscular derierre, let's go for a spin."

Which has me think'n: "Whoa, that fat azz sure has a bad case of cellulitis, get thee to a gym."
I don't know... maybe it's just me but, while far from perfect, give me the 2010+ Mustang rear end all day. The Vintage Mustang rear ends don't really do much for me.

Last edited by MARZ; 10/3/11 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10/3/11, 04:10 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MARZ
I don't know... maybe it's just me
It is. Definitely.

Old 10/3/11, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rhumb

You think the 69 mustangs butt is tight??? You've lost your mind and that so called Phat butt on the 2010+ would leave that so called tight butt standing still wondering what just happened.
Old 10/3/11, 05:36 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MARZ
I don't know... maybe it's just me but, while far from perfect, give me the 2010+ Mustang rear end all day. The Vintage Mustang rear ends don't really do much for me.
I'm with ya MARZ!
Old 10/3/11, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

You think the 69 mustangs butt is tight??? You've lost your mind and that so called Phat butt on the 2010+ would leave that so called tight butt standing still wondering what just happened.
I don't think he's talking about performance, just the look. The 69 looks lean and agressive whereas the 2010+ looks bulky...regardless of actual performance. I don't think that was the point.
Old 10/3/11, 05:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Clino

I don't think he's talking about performance, just the look. The 69 looks lean and agressive whereas the 2010+ looks bulky...regardless of actual performance. I don't think that was the point.
Are you guys crazy? The 69 rear is anything but lean.
Old 10/3/11, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys sound so silly arguing about Mustang design. Sorry no Mustang was ever a paramount of design. The original was a low cost version of well used 2+2 European sport coupe and not beautiful just pleasant and sold in large numbers. No mustang will ever be in any list of the ten most beautiful cars make that 100 most beautiful cars. Now beauty is only one attribute Mustang does a lot for little money and does it with a pleasant flare. If Ford can reproduce that they do fine.
Old 10/3/11, 06:47 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by 908ssp
You guys sound so silly arguing about Mustang design. Sorry no Mustang was ever a paramount of design. The original was a low cost version of well used 2+2 European sport coupe and not beautiful just pleasant and sold in large numbers. No mustang will ever be in any list of the ten most beautiful cars make that 100 most beautiful cars. Now beauty is only one attribute Mustang does a lot for little money and does it with a pleasant flare. If Ford can reproduce that they do fine.
Yeah, Mustang fans on a Mustang forum talking about Mustang styling... how silly!
Old 10/3/11, 06:51 PM
Cobra Member

Are you guys crazy? The 69 rear is anything but lean.
I agree with the others. I don't think I've ever ran into anyone who thought the '69 rear, or any vintage Mustang rear, was bulky. Certainly when compared to the current Mustangs, pre- and post-refresh....

Originally Posted by 908ssp
You guys sound so silly arguing about Mustang design. Sorry no Mustang was ever a paramount of design. The original was a low cost version of well used 2+2 European sport coupe and not beautiful just pleasant and sold in large numbers.
Heh, speak for yourself. Speaking for myself, the Mustang is one of the best looking and recognizable cars of the '60s and early '70s.
Old 10/4/11, 04:23 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry, I think Ford will keep the live axle around for special editions.
Old 10/4/11, 08:08 AM

Maybe crazy, but yup, that's what I think.

The '69's rear, especially the lower valance area, is certainly less voluminous and massive/heavy looking, and has few if any of the multitude of lumps, bulges, lines and busyness of the'10+. The overall effect, to my eye at least, is of less mass, held more tightly, carried more tautly and just overall a cleaner, leaner visual effect.

The '69's primary visual mass is carried much higher and a bit forward in its haunches rather than low in its butt, giving a much more muscular as opposed to simply massive effect, more like the tensed muscles of a predator ready to pounce on its prey, not a rotund butt settling into a chair ready for another triple cheeseburger.

The '10+ on the other hand, and especially the lower bumper/valance area, is a riot of rather discordant lumps, bumps, bulges and any number of stylistic geegaws rather loosely integrated. Its overall effect is far more voluminous, massive and rather heavy looking, especially given the concentration of visual mass being so low giving it a softer, sagging effect -- what I've long ago labled the "full diaper" look. That soft effect is also enhanced by looking like the bottom is being dragged back by the road like some slug or something.

Of course, this IS all very subjective. As they say, the prettiest thing to Mr. Piggy is Mrs. Piggy. And, as noted, while some Mustang models have been very good and often compelling designs, I, too, wouldn't rank any of them at the very acme of the auto design art. That discussion, however, could go on well into any night and many beers.
Old 10/4/11, 09:00 AM
Banned

The 69 has a hunchback. It's front and rear don't belong together. The 10+ has lumps and bumps..what?¿ The 69's gumps are all over the rear in the form of an outer bumper, protruding rear lights, reverse lights, side marker lights. The 10+ is definitely more aerodynamic than the 69, which probably has zero. The total metal used to make the 69 body from the rear quarter windows back could build a complete 65 mustang body. I agree though beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 10/4/11 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10/4/11, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Most any of the fastbacks will have what you call a "hunchback" appearance. That's just the nature of the beast. Sounds like you simply dislike the '69 "Sportsroof" body style/roofline but you should consider there were convertibles and notchbacks that didn't sport this look. I consider the rear of the car to primarily be the tail light panel and lower valence, not just the roofline.
Old 10/4/11, 11:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The '65 fastback's fast back's semicircular integration into the rear deck was design at it's most elegant. it is, IMNSHO, a design milestone.

Last edited by Fenderaddict2; 10/4/11 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10/4/11, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
Most any of the fastbacks will have what you call a "hunchback" appearance. That's just the nature of the beast. Sounds like you simply dislike the '69 "Sportsroof" body style/roofline but you should consider there were convertibles and notchbacks that didn't sport this look. I consider the rear of the car to primarily be the tail light panel and lower valence, not just the roofline.
The 65/66 fastbacks are lean and mean. Even the 67/68 fastbacks don't look like the big phat rears of the 69/70.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang design discussion