Notices
Past Rumor Archive All the rumors and media hype for the 2011-2014 model years.

Direct injection 5.0 in 2014?

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/12, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Direct injection 5.0 in 2014?

Some may remember the rumors back in 2011 when the Coyote motor came out about the option of direct injection down the line. I'm in a position to replace mt 2003 GT but am slightly hesitant that I could get burned by the 2014 GT or some special edition that like a bit more like a Mach 1.

So I got to thinking about the direct injection again and thought this could be the next model years spruce up before the 2015 leap. Maybe its more logical for Ford to go direct injection in 2015? So I just need to ask if anyone has heard more recent rumors of direct injection of the five-oh. You can see one of the older articles about it here.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...1-mustang-5-0/
Old 5/12/12, 09:24 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally, I don't think we'll see DI for a few years as the current motor seems to be be able to offer both great performance and MPG.

If I was in a position to buy now, I think I'd wait a few months and see if the rumour mill gives us any clues as to what '14MY may offer. The Boss was supposed to be a 2 year run, so it would be nice to think we'll get an SE for the final year. I can't see Ford piling too much money into one though, so if we get one, I'd expect it to use off the shelf components. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Old 5/12/12, 11:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cowboy
So I got to thinking about the direct injection again and thought this could be the next model years spruce up before the 2015 leap. Maybe its more logical for Ford to go direct injection in 2015? So I just need to ask if anyone has heard more recent rumors of direct injection of the five-oh. You can see one of the older articles about it here.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...1-mustang-5-0/
What characteristic of a direct injection engine appeals so much that you would potentially wait for its appearance in the new Mustang?
Old 5/12/12, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
What characteristic of a direct injection engine appeals so much that you would potentially wait for its appearance in the new Mustang?
1. Better Volumetric Efficiency --- due to precision a/f mixture
2. Possible Compression Ratio increase -- fuel is injected in the combustion chamber which creates a cooling effect.
3. Less detonation events (see above 2)
4. Better flexibility in regards to spark timing (see above 3)
5. Enhanced MPG efficiency (see above 1)
Old 5/12/12, 05:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Shifterboy45
1. Better Volumetric Efficiency --- due to precision a/f mixture
2. Possible Compression Ratio increase -- fuel is injected in the combustion chamber which creates a cooling effect.
3. Less detonation events (see above 2)
4. Better flexibility in regards to spark timing (see above 3)
5. Enhanced MPG efficiency (see above 1)
Right...all very nifty technical points, but said another way, are you just looking for a fuel economy increase?
Old 5/12/12, 07:01 PM

Its not that I would necessarily wait another year just for direct injection but the thought of what special edition or enhancements the next year may have could does weight the decision. I'm happy with my current 03 and don't need a new one but I would like a new Mustang. Id also like to buy a house. One or the other but not both is happening this summer or fall. Its more my personal situation than the fact that direct injection would boost the efficiency and power of the 5.0.
Old 5/12/12, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Right...all very nifty technical points, but said another way, are you just looking for a fuel economy increase?
Actually the MPG increase is a by-product of the other factors.
If you bump the compression ration up a half point to 11.5:1 and have the ability to optimize the timing throughout the RPM range -- they could probably pull at least 470bhp or more out this existing engine -- but not on regular 87 gas.

the big point in DI is that instead of calculating the air/fuel charge outside of the combustion chamber -- which call for air mass/fuel volume(plus injector "on-time")/intake tract length and fuel vaporization and other variables. DI will use air mass and then computes fuel volume for optimal combustion inside the cylinder (cylinder by cylinder temps can vary). Factor that with the cooling effect of spraying liquid into a hot combustion chamber, there are so many benefits to DI its hard to really put it all on paper.

It would be great to have a fast muscle car that will pass everything except a gas station.

Last edited by Shifterboy45; 5/12/12 at 07:41 PM.
Old 5/13/12, 06:27 AM
Cobra Member

Seeing as how the next mustang should be getting smaller and lighter, they may not need more power or DI for fuel efficiency purposes yet. Dropping a couple hundreds pounds is perfect for increasing performance and MPGs
Old 5/13/12, 09:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cowboy
Its not that I would necessarily wait another year just for direct injection but the thought of what special edition or enhancements the next year may have could does weight the decision. I'm happy with my current 03 and don't need a new one but I would like a new Mustang. Id also like to buy a house. One or the other but not both is happening this summer or fall. Its more my personal situation than the fact that direct injection would boost the efficiency and power of the 5.0.

Ah, understand...
Old 5/13/12, 09:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Shifterboy45
Actually the MPG increase is a by-product of the other factors.
If you bump the compression ration up a half point to 11.5:1 and have the ability to optimize the timing throughout the RPM range -- they could probably pull at least 470bhp or more out this existing engine -- but not on regular 87 gas.

the big point in DI is that instead of calculating the air/fuel charge outside of the combustion chamber -- which call for air mass/fuel volume(plus injector "on-time")/intake tract length and fuel vaporization and other variables. DI will use air mass and then computes fuel volume for optimal combustion inside the cylinder (cylinder by cylinder temps can vary). Factor that with the cooling effect of spraying liquid into a hot combustion chamber, there are so many benefits to DI its hard to really put it all on paper.

It would be great to have a fast muscle car that will pass everything except a gas station.
Yes, it will be lovely to have the extra horsepower AND fuel efficiency, assuming the changes to support this are not overshadowed by the cost and complexity factors.

The OP did mention what he was thinking about in his decision-making process, which was what I was most curious about given my original question.

Thanks for your additional comments.
Old 5/13/12, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, it will be lovely to have the extra horsepower AND fuel efficiency, assuming the changes to support this are not overshadowed by the cost and complexity factors.

The OP did mention what he was thinking about in his decision-making process, which was what I was most curious about given my original question.

Thanks for your additional comments.
Old 5/13/12, 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Seeing as how the next mustang should be getting smaller and lighter, they may not need more power or DI for fuel efficiency purposes yet. Dropping a couple hundreds pounds is perfect for increasing performance and MPGs
that is quite true.

another point is even when they downsize the car, a more efficient engine is going to have be in the picture to meet emission specs and MPGs. DI is proven and a logical evolution.

but we all know there will be a niche for high-horsepower cars -- until the feds deem them unqualified for emission reasons..

and i hope they never do..
Old 5/14/12, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

You know, there's almost always something better out there, but knowing when to act is half the game.

I don't think we are going to see DI in the Mustang 5.0 motor, yet. I would think you'll see it in the V6 first, probably in the base F150 truck and Mustang, then the 5.0 V8. Since the V6 engines are the biggest sellers, that's where Ford will want to focus on improving economy the most since it will have the greatest net effect on their CAFE.

Also, we knew the 2011 Mustang was coming with the 5.0 motor about 1-year ahead of the 2011 Mustang, so if DI was coming in 2014, I think Ford would have already been touting GM and Chrysler as the first domestic V8 with DI.
Old 5/15/12, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
You know, there's almost always something better out there, but knowing when to act is half the game.

I don't think we are going to see DI in the Mustang 5.0 motor, yet. I would think you'll see it in the V6 first, probably in the base F150 truck and Mustang, then the 5.0 V8. Since the V6 engines are the biggest sellers, that's where Ford will want to focus on improving economy the most since it will have the greatest net effect on their CAFE.

Also, we knew the 2011 Mustang was coming with the 5.0 motor about 1-year ahead of the 2011 Mustang, so if DI was coming in 2014, I think Ford would have already been touting GM and Chrysler as the first domestic V8 with DI.
Excellent point, and I agree with you completely.

Seeing that the Coyote engines were developed, tooled and produced ahead of schedule, along with "on-road testing" and feedback the proposition i posed was only evolutionary thinking -- no where close to real production and application in the near future.

they are still running solid MPG numbers for these cars -- I was contacted by Ford's Emission Testing center in Calif. so they could perform a download of my running data. So given that fact no changes in the engine are forthcoming.

Timing is "everything" in business, remember the 70's and the flood of all the Japanese cars that took over the American market? I would hope that this taught US automakers a valuable lesson, rigid thinking is not an asset, but a liability.

It would be more in line as you said; applying changes to the non-performance car segment I-4 and V-6s and then work the changes in the larger displacement engines at a later date. But eeking out every last bit of performance and achieving impressive mileage in a hot rod is a coup!!

the euros can excel at producing high tech platforms, considering that the prices on the stickers are close to double.
Old 5/17/12, 07:04 PM
Cobra Member

Same thing could be said for the F150s. DI could further the MPGs of the redesigned F150, although those will be losing weight as well.
Old 5/20/12, 07:25 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't plan on it. No reason to change it at this point with an all-new model coming for 2015MY.
Old 11/11/12, 06:40 PM

So, what i am seeing in ford products makes me think the DI could be the end of the V-8.....not saying its a good thing or i am happy about it. The new f-150 comes out with its usually engines (3.7L,5.0L and 6.2L) but for 2013 a 3.5L V6 ecoboost is available and it has more horse, more torque and slightly better gas mileage than the 5.0.