Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Why does my car feel so under powered?

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/11, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you're experiencing is COMPLETELY normal!!!! It happens to everybody that downgrades from a Civic to a Mustang...we just can't keep up over here...
Old 10/26/11, 09:02 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Should have bought a Camaro.

If you want instant torque, should have bought a GT500. Or a Powerstroke.
Old 10/26/11, 09:05 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
If you want instant torque, should have bought a GT500. Or a Powerstroke.
Or a Prius. Somebody said they have instant torque.
Old 10/26/11, 11:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess I was just expecting too much coming from a civic to a mustang. Like....I'll instantly feel that the mustang will be 3, 4 times faster or something. I expected too much.
Old 10/26/11, 11:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bones302
you can take the guy out of a ricer.....
I never modded or raced with the civic. Just had it for a first car.
Old 10/27/11, 03:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I think your first problem is gas concerns. V8 = gas + POWER. Like mentioned before, the 5.0 are fast and quiet so you get the impression your not going fast but you are. So you have to floor it alittle to feel the torq, DO IT!!!
Old 10/27/11, 03:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Will3212
First I want to say, I came from an 04 civic automatic that I driven for 3 years. That was my first car and this is my second. I have the 3.31 gears and no performance mods or tunes. I'm afraid to void the warranty if I give it a tune. I have the 2012 GT stick. Under 3.5K RPM the car feels slow with barely any acceleration. Revving it past 4.5k RPM and yeah it takes off, I don't understand why I have to rev it that high and waste gas to get descent acceleration. I will go as far as to say, under 3k RPM my civic felt faster. I guess I will HAVE to get a bama tune or whatever cause I feel like I'm using a lot of gas but getting poor acceleration. Anyone else feel this way? any way to improve it?
Will, unless there's something wrong with your cars performance;

1) Try the pedal on the right.

2) Have your dealer install 3.73 gears

3) Have your dealer install a Ford Racing Power Upgrade Package (talk with your Service Mgr about warranty issues/concerns first)...you'll likely love the increase in exhaust note w/the GT500 mufflers...not 'high school' loud, but a very nice, throaty 'Dad' loud, and love the increase in throttle response, low end torque and overall increased pull throughout.

4) Get some more rubber in the rear. One of the most affordable ways is to buy a pair of American Muscle 18x10 Silver 5 spoke OE style to match the fronts (although the blue oval center caps won't fit), then comparable 275 or preferably 285/40ZR18 tires. Better options w/more $, including lighter wheels (less rotating mass...above mentioned are ~ 29 and 31#. There are affordable wheels in the 20# range) and summer rubber (not safe to drive on in temps < ~ 35F, though).

With just the above, my car's an extreemely sweet little badass.

5) Install a lighter weight drive line. This 2 piece steel is ~ 46#. Aluminum can be had at ~ 24# ($650-$800) and carbon fiber @ ~ 17 ($1250).

Note; I've read that 1# of rotational mass is ~= to 10# of stationary mass, in regards to acceleration.

6) If all the above don't trip your trigger, have your dealer install a 525 or 624 Hp Ford Racing Whipple blower (~$7K + install).

I'd be willing to bet the first recommended step (gear swap), will please you greatly. I wouldn't have any taller gears (3.55 or your 3.31) in this car than the these if your first concern is acceleration.

Last edited by dafreeze; 10/27/11 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10/27/11, 05:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you ever stop to think that your civic feels faster because it's much lighter?
My 98 civic felt like a rocket at 60mph.
Trust me your mustang is much faster than your civic lol

Last edited by fdjizm; 10/27/11 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10/27/11, 05:59 AM
GT Member

Man if us 'level-headed' mustang owners bugged out this bad about this post wonder what would happen if i posted this in Camaro5? I can see it now....

"Sooo I just traded in my kia spectra in for a new SS but for some reason the Camaro feels really slow. Any ideas why? "
Old 10/27/11, 06:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really think the Mustang is "slow" at low rpms, but I'm sure I have a different perspective than a few people.

I have never had a car with this much horsepower before, and I was frankly a bit concerned that this car would be "twitchy", or need a light touch to drive "nice" in rainy or snowy conditions. (This is my DD, all year long!) I was very happy to find that it is quite easy to drive this car "softly", even in rain or snow with the skinny 235's it came with, but when I want to let the dragon loose, just give it a good kick with the right foot and HANG ON!

You want power? It's just waiting there, under the right foot. Just remember that "with great power comes great responsibility"!
Old 10/27/11, 06:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Another thing to look at....when you are leaving a stop light driving normal and as the first one in the line.....where is the rest of traffic? I always see it in the rear view mirror and think......I didn't take off that fast did I?
Old 10/27/11, 06:59 AM
V6 Member

As much as I hate to say it, I felt the same way about my 2011 GT automatic when it was stock, compared to my wife's CUV. The throttle response in her CUV is so touchy that her car 'feels' faster at the lower speeds. OBVIOUSLY the Mustang is faster, but in order to feel like the 5.0 is fast, you really gotta hammer things. Sure, when you plant your foot down the car blasts forward. But around town the 5.0, with it's weight and all, always felt 'slow' to me.

But then I got a tune which changed the throttle response night and day, and the shift points so it's like Michael Schumacher is driving my car. Then I got gears (3.73s). Now I have to be careful from a stop so I don't embarrass myself by leaving the light in a cloud of smoke, tire squealing, and going sideways. A little dab of the throttle and it's completely out of hand.

The new Mustangs are deceptively quick, for sure. I also have those moments where I feel like I'm not really accelerating all that fast, only to look behind me and realize I'm half a mile ahead of all the other cars that were at the light with me.

Last edited by orgchem; 10/27/11 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10/27/11, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Just to point out, even with full exhaust and intake on a 2004 Civic, a bone stock 2011 GT makes a full 150 lb/ft more torque than the Civic at 2000 RPM. By 3000 RPM, it's 200 lb/ft more.

It's all in your head. You came from a tiny, light weight tin can to a full sized pony car, but the weight definitely doesn't offset the massive difference in power and speed.
Old 10/27/11, 07:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Another thing to look at....when you are leaving a stop light driving normal and as the first one in the line.....where is the rest of traffic? I always see it in the rear view mirror and think......I didn't take off that fast did I?
^ +1. always think I'm hastily leaving the light, but tis not so...
Old 10/27/11, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

This is my 5th Mustang.

How long have you had your car? Reason I ask, because eventually you will get use to your car and it won't "feel" as fast as it was when you first bought it. You're just getting use to it, that's all.
Old 10/27/11, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Next time you think it feels slow watch the speedo... theres a difference between slow and smooth. and before you guys start, my buddy has a 5.0 that i am referring to. no mean 3.7 comments!
Old 10/27/11, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I had an 09 Civic SI Coupe prior to this Mustang. I got that Civic for a song and it got great mileage while also having OK performance. Especially in the corners.

Completely stock, my 2011 GT with 3.55 gears is faster in 4th in a 30mph to 60mph pull than the Civic was. The Civic has an 8,000rpm redline and you had to be above 4,000 at all times to even feel like you were accelerating decently. And I had every bolt-on plus a great tune. The Civic was a very fun little car to drive, but it also had the acoustics of a tin can. If a flea farted next to your car, you could hear it. Driving at 65mph wasn't too much quieter with the windows up than with them down. It rode pretty rough, the seats weren't all that great and as soon as I turned on the A/C, you could forget about any kind of performance.

I could tell a significant difference once I was in my Mustang. The thing is, the Mustang is a VERY comfortable car for being a Muscle Car. It rides super smooth, exterior noises are well dampened, the suspension soaks up the feeling of acceleration, unless you launch it....then it squats pretty hard. My wife calls my car a luxury Muscle Car. We were both very surprised at how well the car still drives even after all the upgrades in my signature.

OP, not sure where you're coming from on this one. The power of the Mustang in ALL driving situations greatly out performs the Civic I sold off to get it.
Old 10/27/11, 07:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by VTXFrank

I could tell a significant difference once I was in my Mustang. The thing is, the Mustang is a VERY comfortable car for being a Muscle Car. It rides super smooth, exterior noises are well dampened, the suspension soaks up the feeling of acceleration, unless you launch it....then it squats pretty hard. My wife calls my car a luxury Muscle Car. We were both very surprised at how well the car still drives even after all the upgrades in my signature.
Not complaining, but I'd never call this car smooth or well dampened. I feel every bump in the road, but that's fine by me. I bought a car that handles, not a Buick.

Might be the difference in stock suspension and Brembo though.
Old 10/27/11, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RadioFr33Europe
Not complaining, but I'd never call this car smooth or well dampened. I feel every bump in the road, but that's fine by me. I bought a car that handles, not a Buick.

Might be the difference in stock suspension and Brembo though.
You ever drive a Civic SI? This car is a Caddy compared to that.

My Mustang rides a bit rougher now with all the suspension upgrades I've done, but it doesn't squat as much and nose dive is gone. Also, in corners, body roll is almost non-existent. The tires will start to slide before you feel any kind of body roll. And I've pulled 1.04g corners at 100mph in this thing.

Not busting your chops, just trying to express the differences between a Civic and a 2011+ Mustang.
Old 10/27/11, 08:31 AM
V6 Member

Guys, OP asked a valid question, and we are only giving him grief.

The new 5.0s are high-revving engines that are designed more like race car engines, where all of the power is at the high end of the RPM range. They lack the violent acceleration of normal OHV engines, but instead have a smoother power band that steadily increases until you get up past the 4k RPM range.

This is why many people suggest 3.73s, as they will get you into that range sooner. But make no mistake, the new Mustangs are VERY fast -- they may not feel like it, but the numbers don't lie.

Quick Reply: Why does my car feel so under powered?