Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel

Old 4/13/17, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same Bull**** here 2 ( 6xs)

My fiance and I own a new 2014 mustang and we are having the same sloshing sound in right rear panel since 2015 it's been to shop 6 times now and it's been a big big problem even when it hot out we still hear a l9ud clang sound with a fuel tank of fuel they said it was the seal 2 but after 6x it's time for a trade or lemon law the car is still under warranty and all we get is looks like we are f@#kin crazy this is a serious problem with the new mustangs. It will rot the panels out also the metal will not have the structural integrity it's suppose to beware FORD WILL RUN U AROUND !!!!!!!!!
Old 4/16/17, 01:54 PM

Hey guys. thanks for the info. We have a 14 mustang with this exact same problem. We took it to the dealer about three months ago but they said it was "normal' which REALLY irritated me. Has anyone tried to seal it with silicone RTV or something?
Old 4/18/17, 12:49 PM

My dealer opened it up and cleared the drain, good now.
Old 7/20/17, 10:44 AM

Trying to find an answer

We had over 4 inches of rain last Friday night. On Saturday I was loading gifts into the back seat of my 2013 Mustang Premium V6. There was standing water in the area where the seatback meets the seat of the rear passenger seat. I put a bath towel in the seam and a plastic bag over it to make a trip to Richmond. Took it into dealership on Monday evening. They said they'd do leak test and get back to me. They didn't return my calls from Tuesday evening or yesterday's voice mail. It seems to me that they didn't do anything to my car until I called this morning and complained to the service manager. Now they say that the rear quarter panel drain was clogged and that's what caused the leak. Ford really needs to do something about these drains. I already had the problem from the front drain being clogged and water coming in over the fire wall last year. This is getting ridiculous! I had 3 convertibles ( not Fords) and never had 1 leak. Frustrated!!!!
Old 4/20/18, 09:58 PM

Found the plug

https://youtu.be/7itKVfjaP8E
Old 4/25/19, 10:44 AM

Cindylou

Originally Posted by TexasBlackBeard
I had the same issue an the dealer wanted $90 to tell me if it was under warranty. I found and fixed the problem for free. Lower the top then take the cover off the rear window/seat belt area, it just clicks out. There is a space right next to the fender that you can slide a wet vac hose into, the space goes all the way down to the bottom of the car. Once the water is suctioned out I took a flashlight and slid it into the space. The look from directly above the point of the lowered rear window between the molding. You should see a black round plastic piece that is about an inch high with a hole in the middle and slots on the side. Mine was caked in dirt, leaves and dog hair. I sprayed a hose right onto the gunk, poked the metal rod into the hole and the clog cleared right away. I washed it out with more water and a few blasts from the airhose. It took all of ten minutes to fix the issue. You cannot see the grommet from below the car. If you need more pics I can post them. Good luck, it's really easy once you see the clog.
thank you so much I am 62 and just spent hours opening all the plugged drains in my 06 Mustang I am well aware of the cabin filter issue and door issue but could not resolve the rear quarter panel from underneath the car opened every drain I found but still hear the sloshing I am eager to try your approach from above
Old 4/25/19, 01:03 PM

I did it! I literally just did a colonoscopy on the back end of my 06 Mustang to find

Originally Posted by TexasBlackBeard
I had the same issue an the dealer wanted $90 to tell me if it was under warranty. I found and fixed the problem for free. Lower the top then take the cover off the rear window/seat belt area, it just clicks out. There is a space right next to the fender that you can slide a wet vac hose into, the space goes all the way down to the bottom of the car. Once the water is suctioned out I took a flashlight and slid it into the space. The look from directly above the point of the lowered rear window between the molding. You should see a black round plastic piece that is about an inch high with a hole in the middle and slots on the side. Mine was caked in dirt, leaves and dog hair. I sprayed a hose right onto the gunk, poked the metal rod into the hole and the clog cleared right away. I washed it out with more water and a few blasts from the airhose. It took all of ten minutes to fix the issue. You cannot see the grommet from below the car. If you need more pics I can post them. Good luck, it's really easy once you see the clog.

My colonoscopy project to the right rear quarter panel successful
Old 1/8/20, 03:06 PM

I have a 2014 V6 Convertible with the same problem except the water always ends up draining onto the rear passenger floor board. Twice while it was under warranty I brought it in and both times they initially tried to insist there was a hole in my convertible top and that is how the floorboard was filling up with water. The first time they told me they found the issue and did some sealing. 2 months later the same thing happened again. This time they kept my car for 2.5 weeks and when I got it back the problem seemed to be solved. Now here I am a couple years later with only 36k miles on my car and I have water sloshing in the rear quarter panel along with a floorboard filled with smelly water. I'm furious!!! My car is in perfect condition otherwise and this is obviously a defect in the manufacturing. I really don't want to have to pay the dealership to do another temporary fix.
Old 9/14/20, 10:59 AM

Hello ! I am having the same problem with my Mustang 2014 convertible. Just a little rain and the slush sound on passenger 1/4 panel happens and a soaked floor board, passenger and driver's side.
I cleaned the cowl area of all debris, I wet vac inside the 1/4 panel and clean also all the debris, cleaned the door plugs. Finally the car was dry. I keep my car in the driveway with a cover. I try to open the roof everyday to air-out the car. Today I noticed that even with the cover the driver's side is totally wet..... I don't know what else to do... I see that over 100K people on this site alone looked up for this same issue. This problem should be solved by Ford...
Anyway, reaching out to the forum for any additional suggestions.
Thanks
Old 9/14/20, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Welcome to the forums, D, Ziza!

What you will have to do is to get in the car while you run a water hose on the top and see where it's coming in. You may see it in the trunk, or behind the passenger seat, or in the quarter panel... This will unforunately require you to remove the back seats and the quarter panel trim panels, as well as the trunk liner panels, to see where the water's coming in. You just need the water to run from the top down to the back areas that are most likely to be the places, in this case I'd say the sail panels of the top as well as the top glass area. There really is no other way, the leak has to be actively found to fix it, whatever it is. You or a mechanic will have to perform this job.

I hope that helps, and good luck to y'all!
The following users liked this post:
ZizaZ (9/14/20)