Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/15, 09:09 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got into my car today after being off for 5 days. We had rain last night and today. Open my driver's door and found a puddle of water in my weather tech mat on the driver's front floor. Inspected and found my steering shaft kind of wet. I never had this issue with my 2010. Since I bought this 14, it's been one water leak after another. Before I start yelling at my dealership where I bought it, I'm going to inspect and clean my cowl drains. I tell you if it wasn't for me being a die hard Mustang fanatic, I would of got ride of this car a long time ago. My car just broke 5,000 miles too.
Old 1/4/15, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ThePope
Got into my car today after being off for 5 days. We had rain last night and today. Open my driver's door and found a puddle of water in my weather tech mat on the driver's front floor. Inspected and found my steering shaft kind of wet. I never had this issue with my 2010. Since I bought this 14, it's been one water leak after another. Before I start yelling at my dealership where I bought it, I'm going to inspect and clean my cowl drains. I tell you if it wasn't for me being a die hard Mustang fanatic, I would of got ride of this car a long time ago. My car just broke 5,000 miles too.
My mom had a similar issue with her 06 GT... Her driver side floor board would flood a bit during a good rain. I can't remember if she ever figured it out or not...

Tore the backside out of my mustang tonight while on duty, and found my issue is the exact same as everyone else's has seemed to be. Found about an inch of water pooled between the interior and exterior quarter panels.. Praying my service guys listen to me tomorrow when I tell them the issue!
Attached Thumbnails Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel-image.jpg  
Old 1/5/15, 05:11 PM

Took the car to service today - they confirmed there was water in there, removed the water and tried to do a water test. After 2+ hours in the waiting room, he told me they couldn't figure out where the water was coming in at (even tho I described the wheel well issue to them) and I'll have to come back in a week or so when they have a loaner car for me. Since I'll be on deployment during that time, it'll be early to mid February before my car goes back in... Frustrating!
Old 1/6/15, 07:36 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
I find it almost funny in a way ...
PM me with the VIN for you 2006 and refer me back to this post, ford4v429. I’ll get it documented on your file.

Originally Posted by ThePope
Originally Posted by klgroth
Took the car to service today - they confirmed there was water in there, removed the water and tried to do a water test. After 2+ hours in the waiting room, he told me they couldn't figure out where the water was coming in at (even tho I described the wheel well issue to them) and I'll have to come back in a week or so when they have a loaner car for me. Since I'll be on deployment during that time, it'll be early to mid February before my car goes back in... Frustrating!
Glad you brought it in, klgroth. Be sure you guys PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this for you as well.

Deysha
Old 1/6/15, 07:11 PM

Unhappy

I've got a 2014 with about 7k on it now. Bought it new on July 4th with about 11 miles on the odometer. This was the first brand new car I've purchased but my 3rd Mustang (Wife had a '99 and at one point I had a '65). So I'm driving to work this morning and kept hearing a slosh - slosh sound when I hit the brakes. This was the first time I've heard this but I had less than 1/4 tank so I figured it was the empty tank. I did some research and checked from the trunk to see if I could feel moisture but felt nothing. After reading about this issue here I immediately joined and am planning a trip to the dealer. I already have a strange sound from the engine and a horrible creak from the seat belt holder, but now I've got to worry about my car rusting out from underneath me? Is there some TSB or service bulletin I can reference when I talk to them?
Old 1/6/15, 07:43 PM

For the folks with water in the fender well. Like the picture shows pull the seat belt assembly off and wet vac the water out. Dry it well with a towel. Using a flash light you will see factory body sealer at the back and bottom of that well. Use a healthy glob of silicone and smooth it UNDER and along both sides of the body sealer seam and you will never see or hear water again. The factory seam doesnt seal and water comes in from the rr wheel well. I have sealed about 4 or 5 13 and 14 Mustangs and they never had water issues again.
Old 1/6/15, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 20bmr14
For the folks with water in the fender well. Like the picture shows pull the seat belt assembly off and wet vac the water out. Dry it well with a towel. Using a flash light you will see factory body sealer at the back and bottom of that well. Use a healthy glob of silicone and smooth it UNDER and along both sides of the body sealer seam and you will never see or hear water again. The factory seam doesnt seal and water comes in from the rr wheel well. I have sealed about 4 or 5 13 and 14 Mustangs and they never had water issues again.
Do you work for a dealership? I'm surprised there is no TSB for this or anything.
Old 1/7/15, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 20bmr14
I don't have a problem with working on my own car, but should I be expected to fix something myself on a brand new car? It's almost the principal of the matter. Besides, I go in there and fix something and it goes wrong who do I blame?
Old 1/8/15, 10:03 AM

Is there any specific build dates for this problem?
Has Ford finally fixed this problem on the assembly line?
Old 1/12/15, 04:59 PM

I have a 2014 I bought back in July, it has about 7k miles now and I just got the passenger rear quarter panel sloshing this week. It started as a banging noise when I'd brake or accelerate. Now that it's warmer it has turned to sloshing. I think I'll try to dry and seal it myself this weekend. Sounds like there should be a tsb on this. I don't like other people working on my car if I can help it. I used to work at a Ford dealer, lol.
Old 1/14/15, 04:07 PM

I think I'm going to have to fix mine myself as well. Dealership told me they would call when they had a loaner car available to me - because despite telling them the exact problem, they "couldn't figure out where the leak was coming from". A week and a half later and I still haven't received the phone call. Wanted to have this resolved prior to snowfall to avoid having salty slush water splashing into the insides of my beautiful brand new car, but it's already snowed 2 or 3 times since I went into the dealership.
Old 1/15/15, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by DarkPony37
I've got a 2014 with about 7k on it now. Bought it new on July 4th with about 11 miles on the odometer. This was the first brand new car I've purchased but my 3rd Mustang (Wife had a '99 and at one point I had a '65). So I'm driving to work this morning and kept hearing a slosh - slosh sound when I hit the brakes. This was the first time I've heard this but I had less than 1/4 tank so I figured it was the empty tank. I did some research and checked from the trunk to see if I could feel moisture but felt nothing. After reading about this issue here I immediately joined and am planning a trip to the dealer. I already have a strange sound from the engine and a horrible creak from the seat belt holder, but now I've got to worry about my car rusting out from underneath me? Is there some TSB or service bulletin I can reference when I talk to them?
Originally Posted by Nate2014gt
I have a 2014 I bought back in July, it has about 7k miles now and I just got the passenger rear quarter panel sloshing this week. It started as a banging noise when I'd brake or accelerate. Now that it's warmer it has turned to sloshing. I think I'll try to dry and seal it myself this weekend. Sounds like there should be a tsb on this. I don't like other people working on my car if I can help it. I used to work at a Ford dealer, lol.
Originally Posted by klgroth
I think I'm going to have to fix mine myself as well. Dealership told me they would call when they had a loaner car available to me - because despite telling them the exact problem, they "couldn't figure out where the leak was coming from". A week and a half later and I still haven't received the phone call. Wanted to have this resolved prior to snowfall to avoid having salty slush water splashing into the insides of my beautiful brand new car, but it's already snowed 2 or 3 times since I went into the dealership.
Hi guys,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. If you haven’t already, please make an appointment with your dealers to get this sloshing sound looked into. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll loop in the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 1/17/15, 10:15 AM

Thanks, Deysha. I pulled the rear seats and panel out and in about 45 minutes I had the water out. Letting it air dry now, then I'll seal it back up. I just thought it'd be faster to do it myself. I know if I take it to a dealer it'll take more time than I can spare right now, lol. Wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be, but I think there should be a tsb on this issue. Y'all have a good weekend!
Old 1/17/15, 11:42 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Quote:
I find it almost funny in a way ...

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
PM me with the VIN for you 2006 and refer me back to this post, ford4v429. I’ll get it documented on your file.
its a long, long out of warranty thing, and any production oddities Im sure have changed long ago- and its completely corrosion free underneath any comments in the file probably arent worth the time to put in there... if you want it, the VIN is 1ZVFT82H765165586, not worried about vins as they were in sig lines for years, probably still visible on the 'waybackmachine.com' internet archives...

I just brought it up originally as (not here at TMS) on some forums I got a bit flamed for suggesting folks look under their cars just to make sure the factory did a good job... mistakes happen better to doublecheck for onesself than assume

anyways, on these 14s with water pooling, I would really like to hear back from AAI as to what drains these areas- fixing leaks is good, but verifying drains are open might be more important- theres gotta be a drain there somewhere
tim
Old 1/17/15, 06:44 PM

I checked underneath the quarter panel and couldn't find any, also from inside there didn't seem to be one.
Old 1/19/15, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nate2014gt
Thanks, Deysha. I pulled the rear seats and panel out and in about 45 minutes I had the water out. Letting it air dry now, then I'll seal it back up. I just thought it'd be faster to do it myself. I know if I take it to a dealer it'll take more time than I can spare right now, lol. Wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be, but I think there should be a tsb on this issue. Y'all have a good weekend!
You’re welcome, Nate2014gt. Thanks for the update!

its a long, long out of warranty thing, and any production oddities Im sure have changed long ago- and its completely corrosion free underneath any comments in the file probably arent worth the time to put in there... if you want it, the VIN, not worried about vins as they were in sig lines for years, probably still visible on the 'waybackmachine.com' internet archives ...
Thanks, ford4v429. FRAP is made aware of any discrepancies when vehicles are brought to the dealerships. This information is put into the system and they go from there, and the same with our Tech Hotline. Your Ford Dealer is able to look into where/if any drains are on these vehicles.

Deysha
Old 1/30/15, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Old 1/31/15, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dave07
Wow! Just wow.
Old 2/11/15, 08:09 AM

Thumbs up

I looked at a video last week that showed the drain location for my 06 ,took a wet dry vacuum to it Saturday took about 30 minutes, and now the water drains like it should. Look on you tube, hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by soundman2033; 2/11/15 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Corrected information.
Old 2/11/15, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by soundman2033
I looked at the dave 07 video last week that showed the drain location, took a wet dry vacuum to it Saturday and now the water drains like it should. Look on you tube, hope this helps someone else.
Where exactly is the drain location? I thought water isn't supposed to get into this area in the first place.

Quick Reply: Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel