Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Unintended Acceleration in my '11 5.0 :(

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/12, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They should make a chip for our brains to "tune down" our right foot. Especially when going from a car like a Hyundai to a Mustang. Do you think Bama could make a custom tune for our brains to keep the risk low of us going WOT?
Old 12/30/12, 06:09 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Just to get this out of the way I have a 2011 5.0 manual. Bone stock. No major issues with the MT-82.

So I was heading home from Carl's Jr. earlier when I had a case of unintended acceleration. It's a pretty cold night (around 50* or so). As I was coming down an empty street the car just started accelerating like a bat out of H-E-double hockey sticks!!!! The engine started blaring. Sounded crazy! Like a pack of wolves fighting over the last bone. I didn't want the engine to bounce off the limiter so I just kept shifting.

I was at 80 in third when I noticed the stop sign approaching. I was like, "Oh crap! I gotta stop this thing!!" So I looked down to see what was causing the problem. It was my right foot! It was applying pressure to the gas pedal and it wouldn't stop! So I picked up my right foot using my right leg and put it on the brake. I stopped just in time before the stop sign. Phew! Got really lucky.

Should I see my dealer about this?
Double check and make sure your floor mat is secured (didn't check to see if you had aftermarket mats) but occassionally this happens to me when the mat isn't properly attatched. 1st time it happend I was at a stoplight messing with a friend, rolled the tires over and all of a sudden the pedal sticks and the car lurches before I disengage the clutch and let the motor zing off th rev limiter acouplla times before shutting the engine off.

Took me a second to figure it out that night.

The second time was a just a few days ago, I took the car to the carwash and the mat hadn't properly secured, I go to pass a knucklehead driving slow in the left lane and all of a sudden the throttle sticks as I pull into the right lane. I knew the deal and disengaged the clutch, unhooked the accelerator and went on my way - admittedly as I closed in on the car in the right lane at full throttle I got a bit nervous.

Although I had to laugh, the guy I passed in the left lane probably thought I was a major D-bag and typical Mustang arsehole I'm sure when he logged on to www.exarmytacomadrivers.com he had alot to say about the idiot in the white GT500
Old 1/2/13, 01:43 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
Theres a TSB for that: return stang, by a prius

I miss Hardees but Im downright pissed Arby's bought out like the only Roy Rogers in my state. I hate roast beef! Boo!
Arby's sucks!
Originally Posted by TheReaper
WOW you are lucky to be alive !!!! I've had this issue many times with my car because it's an automatic.
Originally Posted by db2797
They should make a chip for our brains to "tune down" our right foot. Especially when going from a car like a Hyundai to a Mustang. Do you think Bama could make a custom tune for our brains to keep the risk low of us going WOT?

Originally Posted by bob
Double check and make sure your floor mat is secured (didn't check to see if you had aftermarket mats) but occassionally this happens to me when the mat isn't properly attatched. 1st time it happend I was at a stoplight messing with a friend, rolled the tires over and all of a sudden the pedal sticks and the car lurches before I disengage the clutch and let the motor zing off th rev limiter acouplla times before shutting the engine off.

Took me a second to figure it out that night.

The second time was a just a few days ago, I took the car to the carwash and the mat hadn't properly secured, I go to pass a knucklehead driving slow in the left lane and all of a sudden the throttle sticks as I pull into the right lane. I knew the deal and disengaged the clutch, unhooked the accelerator and went on my way - admittedly as I closed in on the car in the right lane at full throttle I got a bit nervous.

Although I had to laugh, the guy I passed in the left lane probably thought I was a major D-bag and typical Mustang arsehole I'm sure when he logged on to www.exarmytacomadrivers.com he had alot to say about the idiot in the white GT500
You fell for it Bob!

But you're right, the mats getting jammed could happen. Love the mat anchors
Old 1/2/13, 02:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the same earlier, didn't even finish 2nd gear out, hit third and she stepped waaaay out. Thought these pirellis were supposed to be sticky!! Had trac control on, could that have caused it?
Old 1/7/13, 10:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OK you got me!
Old 1/7/13, 11:30 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
OK you got me!
Yes!!
Old 1/8/13, 03:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Yes!!
I changed some details and reposted to my facebook
Old 1/8/13, 05:10 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
I changed some details and reposted to my facebook
Old 1/23/13, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I often have unintended acceleration. At least that is what I would tell the cops.
Old 1/26/13, 11:47 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Honest officer, I just got the car, I had not expected it to go so fast... It will never happen again, honest....