Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Severe 2011 5.0 issue

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/11, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Automagically
I looked over at AFM yesterday and there page count is way into the triple digits on this issue. Deysha is getting slammed over there too. It's a mad house.
I wasn't aware this was a widespread issue?

I know about the ignition tick and the cold engine piston noise, but had yet to hear of (aside from the OP of this thread) anybody having the same warm temperature knocking.
Old 4/28/11, 03:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmounce
I wasn't aware this was a widespread issue?

I know about the ignition tick and the cold engine piston noise, but had yet to hear of (aside from the OP of this thread) anybody having the same warm temperature knocking.
Whoops I posted this in the wrong place. This was supposed to go in the MT82 transmission issue thread.
Old 4/30/11, 06:03 PM
GT Member

Well i have been getting the car out after the winter. The knock tap is coming back again. Not as loud, but still there. So im due for an oil change. I wonder if i will see anything in the oil when i get it changed.
Old 4/30/11, 06:57 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 624 Likes on 449 Posts

Wrong thread

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 4/30/11 at 06:58 PM.
Old 5/3/11, 09:20 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Automagically
I looked over at AFM yesterday and there page count is way into the triple digits on this issue. Deysha is getting slammed over there too. It's a mad house.
Yes, I am everywhere and ready to help where I can!

Deysha
Old 5/6/11, 02:05 AM

Jason. I am 44 years old, a lifelong Camaro/Firebird guy. Right now I have a Saturn Sky Redline as my daily driver (Viper in garage). I have finally had my fill of GM dealerships horrible service. My Sky is at its 2nd dealership, 5th visit there for one problem. Anyway, I'm done and have decided to eat the loss and trade the Sky on a Mustang 5.0 6 speed. Before buying, I've been running thru the various Mustang forums, checking on the "ownership" experience. Like you, I totally understand that when you build millions of machines per year, some of those machines will have problems. No biggie. BUT, how you take care of your customers WHEN a problem happens is what I care about.

I am watching how Ford takes care of you. I am watching what Ford does for all the 6 speed transmission issues. GM has always been good to me, but I just can't take their dealerships service departments anymore. SO, I don't want to trade one service headache for another. Whether I buy a new Mustang GT is tied directly to what I read on these boards. Ford, the ball is in your court.
Old 5/6/11, 07:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Welcome aboard Jason, but what's with the Viper sitting in the garage !!!
Anyway's, the 5.0 is an awesome car despite having issues with the MT82 tranny.
I'm sure Ford is hard at work trying to come up with a permanent fix, they've had bad press lately and with the internet blogs and forums, it's spreading like plague. Not saying go buy one and hope that you don't experience some of the tranny issues a lot of us are experiencing, but you're right to hold off on you purchase until you see Ford stepping up to the plate.
Hope you join the club soon.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 5/6/11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 5/8/11, 03:26 PM

Thanks Daniel. As I stated, I've always been a Camaro/Firebird guy. I have had one in my driveway since I was 16 (first car was a 78 Trans Am, then an 82 TA, 86 TA, 95 Z28 Convert, 95 Z28 Coupe, 95 Trans AM). But, the new Camaro is just too heavy, and that interior is horrific. I test drove a new 5.0 6 speed Mustang a few days ago, and fell in love. It feels like a pony car is supposed to feel. Ford has really nailed that car. I'm VERY interested in a Boss 302 (that car is freaking heaven)....BUT.....I've learned that cars are just like women. It might look great and be a hell of a ride, but you've got to be able to live with them day after day too, and a bad one can make your life a living hell. My Viper is already enough of a PITA, I don't need another diva in the garage.

SO.....I want a new Mustang. I'm ready to buy a new Mustang. But, I'm not doing so until I see a fix for the transmission and engine concerns. Ford should have used the Tremec 6060 in the first place.

Jeff
Old 5/12/11, 07:24 AM

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum! I definitely understand where you are coming from. All I can say is that the Ford engineers are working very diligently to get this transmission issue resolved. Also, I do know that there is a repair in place for the engine concerns some are having. I hope you join us soon and if you ever need any help, do not hesitate to message me.

Deysha
Old 5/12/11, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum! I definitely understand where you are coming from. All I can say is that the Ford engineers are working very diligently to get this transmission issue resolved. Also, I do know that there is a repair in place for the engine concerns some are having. I hope you join us soon and if you ever need any help, do not hesitate to message me.

Deysha
What is the repair? I was basically told it was being looked at and would be contacted when/if a fix is created.
Old 5/16/11, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by jlmounce
What is the repair? I was basically told it was being looked at and would be contacted when/if a fix is created.
Hey jlmounce,

It's a Special Service Message. Sorry I can not find it without a VIN. If you are having this engine noise, please contact your dealer. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to message me with your dealer, mileage, contact info, and VIN.

Deysha
Old 5/16/11, 01:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sub.. possibly buying a 2011+ GT 'vert soon.
Old 5/24/11, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Just inquiring about the transmission problem some people are experiencing. Does anyone know what Ford has found other than changing the fluids? How many have had this done and feel confident this will work? Maybe Deysha can chime in with some answers.
Old 5/25/11, 07:04 AM

Hi badasbullitt,

There are a few repairs out already regarding transmission/clutch issues. Not all the concerns members have mentioned are the same. This is why if you are experiencing any concerns you should bring your vehicle in to your dealership for diagnosis as soon as possible. Please do not wait for “the fix” without going to your dealer. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to message me with your dealer, VIN, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate your case.

Deysha
Old 11/3/15, 09:54 AM

I am currently having essentially the same issue in my 2012 GT with ~28k mi.

It is an intermittent knock, generally worse when heat soaked. You can hear it in the top end, stronger towards the drivers side rear, but I think the block and intake act like speakers to project this type of sound. It is louder underneath the car, also towards the rear.

Oil analysis has shown consistently high levels of aluminum and iron, with the latest showing a jump in sodium (from 0).

My dealer acknowledged that the sound is abnormal, took the car in for diagnosis, and gave me a loaner. Today they told me that they want to tear the engine down, and that Ford doesn't cover rental cars during powertrain repairs!

Basically, they want me to return the rental, pick up the Mustang until next Monday when they can schedule the removal and teardown, and fend for myself (indefinitely?) while they go exploring.

I'd love to hear how your repair ended up, because it sounds like the same problem. I'm not excited about them trying to fix what they find and slap the same engine back in. There is obviously a chance of other things being wrong and going undiagnosed, in addition to having excessive metals in the oil for its entire life.

Thanks!