Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Severe 2011 5.0 issue

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/11, 04:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Things aregetting taking care of, keep us posted on any development.
So far, that's the case. Sad though, it's beautiful out in Colorado this week and my toy is in the shop.
Old 2/15/11, 05:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmounce
So far, that's the case. Sad though, it's beautiful out in Colorado this week and my toy is in the shop.

Don't mean to rub it in, but it was 65 again today, snow is gone, roads are dry. Took the wife into hills for lunch at our favorite German restaurant. Nice drive, sun and blue sky, very little traffic. Hard to believe it has been winter in Western South Dakota (East side not so lucky). Al Gore you are the man..I love global warming
Old 2/15/11, 06:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I love global warming
Not loving it so much around here, snow, snow and guess what ! more SNOW, i'm sick of it , suppose to get in the 40's late this week, about time.
Old 2/15/11, 07:56 PM
GT Member

That does sound nice. We had about a week of temperature in the low 50s...it's going to stay in the low 70s probably the rest of winter... Beautiful and sunny. And my 5.0 is waxed, beautiful and makes not even a single tick out of place, and roars like a beast. Man, I'm such an a$$hole...
Old 2/16/11, 11:56 AM
GT Member

My 2011 GT was built May10. I had a tap knock in the handle also. I had them look at it once in Aug. The master tech said yes he felt it also, but they couldnt do anything until Ford came up with a fix. Then i took it in Sept, and left it over night. I came back, and they said we cant see anything wrong. In fact it had seemed to go away for the most part. So i drove it for the 2 months, and put it away. My car has 3900 miles on it, so when i get it out in the spring, i will see how it goes. I alway wondered if the trans syncs were making the noise. Ron
Old 2/16/11, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I will follow this post to see how the other guys with motor noise make out.
Old 2/16/11, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just got off the phone with the service adviser. Ford is still saying that this is normal operation. They state this is a normal characteristic of the engine. They will not however state what causes this noise and vibration.

How you can state this is normal operation but not know what or how the symptom is caused is beyond me.

At this point all I can do apparently is wait for a possible engine failure.
Old 2/18/11, 09:12 PM

i would call ford customer service, if its normal operation then ford would be able to explain it, you are way more patient then i am... take it to another dealer who is compitent. if they cant explain it , its not normal. even better record the sound in a video and put it on youtu e and ask the public if it sounds normal. then maybe you will get treated woth some respect..
Old 2/25/11, 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Any more updates? More problems?
Old 4/19/11, 10:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2011GT/CS
Any more updates? More problems?
After being in Contact with Ford several times we closed my case. Ford wanted the car back in the shop to look at some serpentine routing and a purge valve. I don't have the luxury to constantly have my car in the shop. I drive too and from work daily as well as to and from my office and our studio, including hauling clients around from hotels to our studio etc. Each time the car is in the shop I can't do my job, especially since the dealer won't give a loaner unless repairs are needed.

Unfortunately tonight after a drive home from visiting my parents, the car really started acting up. I decided to take a couple quick vids of my iPhone of what Ford states is a normal characteristic of the 5.0 engine.

The car just had an oil change yesterday and now is exhibiting a metallic click or tick that some others are reporting. This is a new symptom. The knocking which has been a part of this car since the day I purchased it is also now quite a bit worse this evening. I was able to capture some audio of how it quickens with the pace of RPM. It's very evident when I placed the phone towards the ground so you can hear what's going on under the car.

I'm not an ASE certified mechanic, but if Jim Bob brought his 350 Camaro to me sounding like this, the first thing I'd do is start diagnosing a rod bearing failure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4c8_VNWfT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RZRhLETpUg

Unfortunately the audio quality of the iPhone doesn't translate all that well. When you have passengers asking you what that noise is without being prompted, that's not what I consider a good sign. Especially since I have to explain why my $40,000 car sounds like it's seen better days.
Old 4/19/11, 10:47 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 624 Likes on 449 Posts
That sucks. The vid with the hood open sounds like a freakin' PowerStroke. I'd be beyond pissed with that scenario being called normal.
Old 4/19/11, 10:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
That sucks. The vid with the hood open sounds like a freakin' PowerStroke. I'd be beyond pissed with that scenario being called normal.
This is my 5th Mustang, my 7th Ford, I'm 28. This is precisely what I told Ford Customer service. How many more Fords can you predict I'll buy?

I'm not angry that the car has some issues. It's a mass produced machine and things can crop up. What I'm pissed about is that this issue will likely go un-fixed until the engine lets go, stranding me somewhere or worse.

That treatment, considering the amount of Money I've spent on Ford dealers will ultimately push my loyalty to another make.
Old 4/20/11, 12:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Well...people have been asking for a diesel Mustang for a long time now. Sounds like you got one of the first ones off the line!
Old 4/20/11, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
It's probably not as pronoounced in the vid but I can hear a deeper "thunk" at about half of the speed of the injector tick.
Old 4/20/11, 10:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First, I have 9500 miles on my 5.0, which was built in Jun 2010. The noise you are experiencing is not normal. It is time to get serious, and send some letters. I know snail mail; however, certified letters to Edsel Ford and Mullaly (sp) will not hurt. Go to the library and see if you can find their home address in Who's Who and send them to that addess. I did this back in '78 with a Pontiac that was having serious automatic transmission problems. I wanted a new transmission and GM would only continue to repair the one one in the car, several times, with the same problem, collapsed clutch plates.

I sent the certified letter to the CEO of GM at his home. The dealer received a direct communication telling him to replace the car. I had them order a new one from the factory, with a manual trans. They used some type of internal code they were given in the order to replace the car, and the car arrived two weeks later. The dealer, needless to say could not believe it. Just a thought... Hope it works out for you.
Old 4/26/11, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update. The car went back in to the shop today. I made sure that I took the engine tech that would be working on it for a ride. His initial sentiments were that he "did not agree with this being normal."

I just got off the phone with my service adviser. A field engineer will be taking a look at the car tomorrow. Indications at this time is that they will have to open up the engine for a visual inspection. I will know more after engineering takes a look at the car tomorrow.

I may be without the car for about a week and a half according to the service adviser. At least I am finally getting a diagnosis and hopefully resulting in a repair.
Old 4/26/11, 07:46 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
@jlmounce

Does the sound increase while the motor is under a load?
Old 4/26/11, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2010_Sinister_Pony
@jlmounce

Does the sound increase while the motor is under a load?
Generally it can only be heard in idle conditions. However as I've put some miles on the car, it's making it's presence known under driving conditions.
Old 4/28/11, 10:26 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmounce
Just wanted to give you guys a quick update. The car went back in to the shop today. I made sure that I took the engine tech that would be working on it for a ride. His initial sentiments were that he "did not agree with this being normal."

I just got off the phone with my service adviser. A field engineer will be taking a look at the car tomorrow. Indications at this time is that they will have to open up the engine for a visual inspection. I will know more after engineering takes a look at the car tomorrow.

I may be without the car for about a week and a half according to the service adviser. At least I am finally getting a diagnosis and hopefully resulting in a repair.
Hi jlmounce,

This is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I’d like to know to see how I can help. Please message me with your VIN, mileage, dealer and contact info.

Deysha
Old 4/28/11, 11:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked over at AFM yesterday and there page count is way into the triple digits on this issue. Deysha is getting slammed over there too. It's a mad house.

Quick Reply: Severe 2011 5.0 issue