Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Severe 2011 5.0 issue

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/11, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fungusthestangman
ford must have had a major factory issue on the 5.0 which I'm sure we will hear about in the coming months, or maybe they are producing one car for every engine, which is hard to believe, but possible.
That is an assumption. The Essex Engine Plant that makes the 5.0 is a relatively low volume operation now.

When I worked at that plant making the 3.8L the cycle time was 2.5 engines a minute x 2 8 hour shifts a day. It's nowhere near that now.
Old 1/26/11, 06:14 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Do you think it had something to do with the crankshaft? Or something higher up in the engine?
Old 1/26/11, 06:19 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 624 Likes on 449 Posts
........ I missed the old 350 cause them quality built intake gaskets, and distributors were my bread and butter....
Don't forget water pumps and starters.
Old 1/26/11, 08:07 PM

I am glad that's an assumption, because I refuse to by another gm product do to there quality issues, thanks for the info.

Without them tearing into the engine, there is really now way to identify the power, but I can tell you symptom wise I am nearly sure it was a bottom side issue, because it was clearly the crank causing the knock and vibration, and if it was the top side it would have had to drop a valve or in some way transfered the damage to the crank, which since the motor had good compression, I've never heard of something like that happening, especially without doing alot more damage to the pistons, and rods. So it's outside of my experience if that has occured.
Old 1/26/11, 08:14 PM

Pumps and pulleys are not the issue, as both belts were removed not to mention the issue was at the rear on the bottom side.
By the way 2 drive belts making a Come back is unexpected.
Also the trans was removed and still the problem persisted.
Like of said, a few bad motors will always pop up, I do not believe it's a design flaw in any way. Perhaps the left bank ticking issue is, but this was most likely a manufacturing flaw that affected only a small number of motors
Old 1/26/11, 08:22 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dang that suks, I hope my motor doesn't have the same problem. My 2011 gt auto 3.15 gear has a feeling in the gear shift while ideling and does have a small knock when it's warmed up, it's like a whooshing knock. But mine ain't leaking or using oil and has 11,600 miles on it it right now. The noise has not gotten any worse since I discovered it from the 1st week of ownership. It was made on 6/10, says on the sticker.

I tell you what, if they ever take my mustang away from me for that long, Ima be super pissed. I love my car, it's my only car and it's my individuality and my independance!

I hope yours gets resolved Fung.
Old 1/26/11, 10:05 PM

You may have the same issue, to test, get hot, and wait til she acts up. Put you hand on the rear of one of the valve covers and you should feel it, you should also be able to feel it on the other cover. If you do, pop your head under the car behind either tire. It will be easy to hear, if so take it in. If not your good
Old 1/26/11, 10:32 PM
GT Member

Ok I will try that Fung, ty. Although if I take it in and it's no using/leaking oil they prolly won't do anything. These dealerships down here don't know how to diagnose a problem if it hit them in the face.
Old 1/26/11, 10:54 PM
GT Member

Ok I just tested it and did what you said, I don't here anything other than what sounds like a ford V8 making it's normal sounds. Hell, the 2010 3v 4.6 even had a small knocking sound, which I think is totally normal ( love the 4.6, sweet little motor ). Touched the valve covers and could feel light vibrations but it feels like something this new V8 would do. I also sat in the car and really didn't hear the whooshing sound that I described earlier. I got it pretty hot. Ran it down the road about 3 miles then on the way back I floored it about 3 times. Sounds like mine is ok, I hope. Love his car to much for it to be ripped apart! arg!

Thoughts?

Will be looking back to see how things go for you.
Old 1/27/11, 12:24 AM

Then you dont have the issue, cause honestly after piping my head under it was knocking so bad that I was afraid to drive it. It's a pretty obvious symptom. If u here a knock like i had you would immediately know some thing is wrong.
Old 1/27/11, 12:31 AM

I was just upset with ford telling me it was normal operation back when it ha 100 miles on it. Waiting until it's a possibility I could be stranded, to me is kind of rediculas. However, alot of people who have never owned a high hp car are going in for normal sounds, so I can understand why there first reaction is to say it's normal. My cousins Ferrari is a 400 and when he first got that it sounded terrible, and he ignored me and took it in like 4 times before he believed me or the dealer.
Old 1/27/11, 01:40 AM
GT Member

Thanks, I think you're right. Doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with mine. Sounds like yours is a one off, **** happens I guess. Lost of ppl complaining about a 2-1 downshift clunk, maybe they're working that out. We'll see.

Ya, my 5.0 was shaking my car at idle through out the 1st 2-3k miles and made some funky noises like the whooshing I mentioned. Seems to be ok now. Car has broke in a lot just recently. Use too, you'd get on it and it would smell like the car was going to catch on fire but I think that's normal. My 2010 GT did the same thing, just for not as long, first 1k miles. This 2011 had a buring smell way into 7k miles ( only when you romped it ) but it don't do it anymore. Guess it broke in.

Hey little advice. If yours is a daily driver, get yourself some mich A/S sport tires and ditch those ****ty stock perilis. My car drives so more smoth with these mich. They're not cheap, about 300$ each but they're 100% worth it, they rock in the rain and when it's dry. Super smooth.

Also, for daily driver get yourself the flowmaster hushpowers. I have them and they're perfect!

Hope you get yours fixed soon, let us know!
Old 1/31/11, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

My 2011 GT was built November 2010 and exhibits the same knock. It's a tapping sound like you would hear with a spun rod bearing (though kind of muted) and can be felt through the shifter and the pedals.

The car was looked at for this issue at about 100 miles. I was notified that the sound is "normal." I didn't really believe that myself, but it's not worth the hassle or making a stink until something does go wrong. The car now has just over 1500 miles on it and has shown no sign of this noise subsiding.

I have it on record that it exists. If I start seeing symptoms of an engine going south, I'll make ford replace the motor at that time.

Last edited by jlmounce; 1/31/11 at 03:07 PM.
Old 2/8/11, 06:02 PM

Ok I have the ticket I don't have a scanner so I'm going to type the tech comments

Scored/knocking verify concern knocking noise from engine, run oasis for concern check injectors, had insulation for injector noise, no tsbs or Ssm related to knock noise, visual check of engine, oil level ok, leaking from rear seal no aftermarket mods, check oil pressure at idle 21 psi and 2000 rpms at 49 psi, contacted hotline instructed to monitor pids, run EEC test no codes, run power balance, compression test ok, shorted cylinders no went away on #1, removed valve cover to inspect followers and lifters ok,spark plug ok, removed suspension to remove oil pan to inspect bottom side per hotline no abnormal wear had right play specs found scored cylinder wall at #1. Time for abnormal diag 2.6 after inspection and calling hotline, use cost cap tool, advised to replace short block

The rest is just parts used and after tests.
So I guess something wrong with #1 affected the crank, or vise versa, but there you guys go. On a side note, my transmission no longer feels like garbage either.....
Old 2/8/11, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting.

Mine is going into the shop this upcoming tuesday. Especially as the ambient air temps rise, the knocking from my motor has started getting pretty bad. It's gone from being a "morse-code" type knock to a pretty uniform knock.

Placing hands on the valve covers it feels like something is hitting the head between cylinders 2,3 and 6,7. Worse on driver bank.

Transmission has started to be a bit of a bear. In warmer temps while the car is cold it shifts fine. As operating temps rise, this is when the knocking starts and the transmission becomes a bit harder to shift. It doesn't grind though, just gets very notchy.
Old 2/8/11, 08:09 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok I have the ticket I don't have a scanner so I'm going to type the tech comments

Scored/knocking verify concern knocking noise from engine, run oasis for concern check injectors, had insulation for injector noise, no tsbs or Ssm related to knock noise, visual check of engine, oil level ok, leaking from rear seal no aftermarket mods, check oil pressure at idle 21 psi and 2000 rpms at 49 psi, contacted hotline instructed to monitor pids, run EEC test no codes, run power balance, compression test ok, shorted cylinders no went away on #1, removed valve cover to inspect followers and lifters ok,spark plug ok, removed suspension to remove oil pan to inspect bottom side per hotline no abnormal wear had right play specs found scored cylinder wall at #1. Time for abnormal diag 2.6 after inspection and calling hotline, use cost cap tool, advised to replace short block

The rest is just parts used and after tests.
So I guess something wrong with #1 affected the crank, or vise versa, but there you guys go. On a side note, my transmission no longer feels like garbage either.....
Nice to see they are digging in to find the issue. Think about that - although they had your engine to spec & inspect, some are probably at the factory trying to re-create various problems. That's good to read about.

Also, thought it was interesting there is an entry about any Mods...
Old 2/15/11, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

My car went in to the shop to have this inspected further today. The tech did tell me that ford has a TSB report on this issue but is still stating the knocking noise and subsequent vibrations are a normal engine characteristic.

I don't really believe that at all, but unfortunately there's not much I can do about that except wait for a possible failure.

My guess (and it is only a guess so take it for what it's worth) is that Ford is waiting to see if there's a longevity issue here.

At least on my vehicle the knock can be felt through the valve covers and engine block. Even if it is a "normal" sound, this to me is much like the "small men with hammers." Over time the vibrations may prove to dismantle or cause accelerated wear to the rotating assembly, probably in the form of rod and journal bearing failure and elongation of the big end.

That's my analysis anyway, I'm not an expert engine builder.
Old 2/15/11, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Spoke with the service adviser about 15 minutes ago. The tech is stating that the knocking and vibration is excessive for "normal" operation. A field engineer is coming out hopefully tomorrow to take a look at the car and determine a course of action from there.
Old 2/15/11, 04:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Will put this thread in my favorites since my car was built on June as well . It may well be that the the engine plant got a bad batch of crankshaft . Let wait and see what they come up with.
Old 2/15/11, 04:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by jlmounce
Spoke with the service adviser about 15 minutes ago. The tech is stating that the knocking and vibration is excessive for "normal" operation. A field engineer is coming out hopefully tomorrow to take a look at the car and determine a course of action from there.
Things are getting taken care of, keep us posted on any development.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 2/15/11 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Severe 2011 5.0 issue