Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

rear end assembly (Ford Rep please read )

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/11, 11:29 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Might as well add these:

Bubbling hood paint.
Door panel trim that falls off.
Pitiful OEM Motorcraft batteries.
Gas pumps turning off too soon issue.

I mean, if you can get that axle done, these ought to be a cinch.

/And I bet you can get Ford to make Trent stop commenting too, yeah?
Yeah, but those are legitimate issues.
Old 9/18/11, 05:49 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is only my 2nd Ford ever, i am 42 and I have never seen one look the way this one does..the car has less than 2500 miles on it. The shop that put my exhaust on and the dealership body shop both said it is the worse they have ever seen. I have a 1985 model car , and a 1990 model truck , neither have this problem. They are both chevy's though..so i wonder if that has anything to do with it.

If I can't get them to do anything about it, and from hearing from you Ford reps, any good suggestions on how to make it look better? And I ask as an adult...no smart **** answers.
Old 9/18/11, 08:30 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bud4au01
this is only my 2nd Ford ever, i am 42 and I have never seen one look the way this one does..the car has less than 2500 miles on it. The shop that put my exhaust on and the dealership body shop both said it is the worse they have ever seen. I have a 1985 model car , and a 1990 model truck , neither have this problem. They are both chevy's though..so i wonder if that has anything to do with it.

If I can't get them to do anything about it, and from hearing from you Ford reps, any good suggestions on how to make it look better? And I ask as an adult...no smart **** answers.
As someone stated above. There is a spray can formula that you can use. Rough up the rust a little bit and clean it off. Hit it with the paint and your good to go.
Old 9/18/11, 08:50 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Op. The differential is made of carbon steel and is not painted from the factory obviously. If you spray paint it without prepping it, it will just flake off. The dealer will not replace it because the new one is the same. Some manufactures paint there's. Some come undercoated. If it's not a show car, don't worry about painting. If anything, buy a couple cans of undercoating spray and spray it yourself. That stuff doesn't harden and will look good enough if you take your time spraying it. If you go to your dealer with an attitude and demand it be fixed, I'll take some popcorn also.
Old 9/18/11, 09:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by bud4au01
this is only my 2nd Ford ever, i am 42 and I have never seen one look the way this one does..
Dang right, the Mustang is just such a good looker!

Oh, you don't mean it that way... Well... uh... you... haven't been looking very well, to be honest. All cars have issues. All of them. Every single one. Oh, and I'm 43, if that matters, but 25 in the brain.

This has been answered before. The posts are already there. Prep and paint and be done with it.
Old 2/1/12, 08:56 PM

I went to one of the dealerships around where I'm at around here and they got rid of the rust on the rear end, not very well but at no cost to me.
Old 2/2/12, 02:19 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Ok, I’m not sure how I never saw this thread until now, but to all of you having any concerns with your vehicles, please make an appointment with your dealers and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Originally Posted by jmfrost
I went to one of the dealerships around where I'm at around here and they got rid of the rust on the rear end, not very well but at no cost to me.
Glad to learn it was taken care of for you, jmfrost.

Deysha
Old 2/2/12, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

The OP Must have not been around when the GT500 guys were complaining about the rear end.
Old 2/2/12, 04:59 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Painted mine the first week it arrived with a $3 can of spray paint, going on 2 years ago and still looks perfect
Old 2/2/12, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Can't believe someone complained about this. My 06 V6 had rust on the rear axle, my sisters 06 GT has it, my 2012 GT has it. Its just a normal thing nowadays.

From what I've read undercoatings have not been allowed on vehicles due to EPA regulation. Parts can be powder-coated from the factory but personally I've never heard of rear axles rusting out to the point of failing.

All cosmetic to me.
Old 2/2/12, 06:35 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
As a first-time Ford Mustang owner, I, too, was shocked to see that solid rear axle completely rusted after 1000 miles - and I live in Nevada with no snow, no salt, no rain. And, I, too, learned that this is a 'normal' cosmetic thing. Does not mean that I like it. When I am driving behind any late-model Ford truck, and I see that solid rear axle painted black - from Ford...annoying.
Old 2/3/12, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
DRR, well truck axles are painted becasue you can SEE them. Mustangs aren't because you can't. There's nothing wrong here other than people channeling their inner Felix Unger.
Old 2/3/12, 11:25 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These kind of threads make me laugh
Old 2/3/12, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texastboneking
These kind of threads make me laugh
Thats why I read them.
Old 2/11/12, 08:12 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by flySWA737
Can't believe someone complained about this. My 06 V6 had rust on the rear axle, my sisters 06 GT has it, my 2012 GT has it. Its just a normal thing nowadays.

From what I've read undercoatings have not been allowed on vehicles due to EPA regulation. Parts can be powder-coated from the factory but personally I've never heard of rear axles rusting out to the point of failing.

All cosmetic to me.
Agreed. I mean, heck...look at all of those original 1960's cars with original axles. Rusty? Yes. Damaged? No...just a bit ugly if you get under the car and look at it. If it is a show car someone wants, then I agree...prep, paint and enjoy. Otherwise, no problems will come of some normal surface rust.