Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Possible MT-82/Clutch Issue? Advice, please

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/13, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible MT-82/Clutch Issue? Advice, please

Hi all, first post to this group, so please forgive a newbie.

I have a 2013 GT/CS 6MT, 3.55 that has been giving me the same headache since day one. I got it in late October last year, it spent most of the winter in storage and I brought it out again in April. It now has 8k miles on it. I love the car, BUT- it has this issue: It is nearly impossible to shift aggressively from 1st to 2nd (aggressively meaning 5k rpm or above). It will miss the 1-2 shift nearly every time! 2-3 shifts are better, but not always. Above that, no problem.

I was told by someone that it was likely caused by the OEM shifter, so I changed it to a Barton Industries with the two-point billet mounting bracket. Nice shifter, very well-made, very solid feel. Just to keep the story complete, I've also put an Airaid CAI, BBK 90mm TB, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-backs, and a BAMA tune on the car (all very recently). The makes about 420HP at the wheels on a Dynojet.

Changing the shifter made no difference. Lately, the problem has gotten worse. Now, downshifting from 3-2 is difficult and if stopped at a light, in 2nd, it is practically impossible to get it into 1st. Add to that, now the reverse lockout isn't working (the Barton retains the stock reverse lockout- press down then over and up)- I can get it to go into what I think is 1st, but it almost always is Reverse, without any downward pressure on the shifter! VERY SCARY!

Just so you know, I'm not a newbie with stick shifts- I've been driving them for over 40 years, including a SS/B Hemi '66 Plymouth drag car, two Trans-Ams ('76 and '77), and a '70 Dodge Challenger R/T. i know how to shift.

Any ideas out there? I will also say this- I had it in for an oil change about two weeks ago and the tech complained to the svc mgr that the car was really hard to get into 1st- so he noticed, but didn't go anywhere with it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave
Old 9/10/13, 06:01 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Hello Dave.
See this thread here. This may help.
https://themustangsource.com/f804/an...thread-522887/
Old 9/12/13, 09:23 AM

Update: I took the car in to the dealer this morning and am waiting to hear a diagnosis. Will keep you all posted as to what they find.
Dave
Old 9/12/13, 08:04 PM

Further update on this:
First, Thanks for the PM, Deysha- as always, good info.
Second, the dealer is, so far, being cooperative. They believe it's not a shifter problem, but the factory told them the first step is to eliminate the shifter as the cause. So they wanted to replace the shifter. They thought it was the OEM part and ordered one (takes a week to get), but I told them it wasn't (it's the Barton and btw- I also confirmed the Barton IS the FRPP part) and if it really needed to be "replaced" before anything else could be diagnosed, I'd put my original OEM unit back in. They agreed and said for me to bring it back when the OEM shifter is in place (I had told them that shifter was the reason I changed in the first place, thinking that was my problem from day one).
They think it's either the clutch dragging and/or a problem with the shift rods, as they confirmed the inability to get a good 2-1 downshift and they confirmed the lack of Reverse Lockout.
So, more to come- I'll put the OEM shifter in this weekend and make another appointment to get her in and I'll keep everyone here posted.
Dave
Old 9/16/13, 03:08 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Originally Posted by DavesGTCS
Second, the dealer is, so far, being cooperative. They believe it's not a shifter problem, but the factory told them the first step is to eliminate the shifter as the cause. So they wanted to replace the shifter.
I'm confused. They say it's not the shifter, but need to put the stock shifter back in to know for sure it's not the shifter? Is that the case?
Let us know how you make out.
Old 9/16/13, 03:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh Oh ... you should have put the factory shifter back in BEFORE you took it too dealer. Hope this turns out good for you ... but they could easily deny warranty on the transmission.
Old 9/17/13, 09:00 AM

Update for everyone-
I may have not made the dealer's position clear in my posting. They said they WOULD cover any problem, but when they thought the problem was the shifter, they wanted the original in place so they could replace it (they thought it WAS the OEM part in there till I told them it wasn't) and get credit when they sent it back to Ford.

Here's the latest- it was not a transmission problem. It WAS a shifter problem, I fixed it myself, this past weekend. The Barton shifter fits 2011-203+ GT's. However, a little note at the bottom of the instructions tells the installer that not all 2013's are the same! As I was in the process of removing it (remember, the dealer said to put the OEM back in), I noticed a tab on the opposite side from the Reverse Lockout tab, marked "2013". I said to myself- "What the heck is that all about?" I then reread the instructions and found the little note, which talked about turning the shifter body around so the "2013" tab lines up with the Reverse Lockout- IF a certain measurement comes out different than the 2011-2013 standard measurement. I was like "Holy crap!" I made that change (didn't even have to get under the car) and the problem was solved- no trouble keeping it out of Reverse and 1-2/2-1 shifts are perfect. What was happening was, the tab in the original position was low enough that any shift that was over against the left edge was trying to put the tab into the Reverse Gate. Worse, it was wearing the tab down and falling into Reverse easier and easier each time.

So, it's fixed- but here's the thing- I looked at the OEM shifter and that Reverse tab is plastic- it too was being worn down by shifting hard on 1-2 shifts (I guess maybe I kinda pull my arm towards the Reverse Gate in 1st and 2nd). So it was giving the same trouble as the Barton when I had it configured wrong. Something to keep in mind, if using the stock shifter.

The best news is, it's fixed and shifts crisply and cleanly in all gears. And the dealer has stated he doesn't think ANY of my mods will have any effect on my warranty. Time will tell, I suppose.
Thanks all, for your thoughts.
Dave