Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

No Oil!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/11, 11:31 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cd4537
... Tested one cylinder at a time and tried to determine noise, suspect rod knock. Checked for oil in intake (No Oil) and cut open filter to inspect metal filings. Found metal contamination present. Removed and inspected motor. Found spun rod bearing in cylinder #7 and metal showing throughout engine.
I contend the valve train would have rattled long before you spun a rod.

That is if you were even listening to your engine.

Originally Posted by cdynaco
So I don't know how long you kept driving it when you heard the noise, but here's my thought:

It was probably the valve train rattling because oil flow was getting intermittent to the heads and the TiVCT. Maybe the "hydraulic lash adjusters" (lifters) were rattling and/or the finger followers (that lever from the cam lobe to the valve stem). I would highly doubt you have any damage to the crank bearings or the cylinder walls - which is pretty much confirmed because you didn't get any signs of low oil pressure, warning light, or safe mode (low oil also increases heat and overheating triggers safe mode) - and you still had 4 qts.

https://themustangsource.com/f726/no-oil-498694/index5/#post6122836
Old 9/29/11, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I contend the valve train would have rattled long before you spun a rod.

That is if you were even listening to your engine.
I'm no mechanic, but I do know when something doesn't sound right. There was no warning when this happened. I was about 300 yards (1 block) from my house when it happened. Perhaps the sound that I heard WAS "valve train rattle"? I wouldn't know what that sounds like. Perhaps the rod spun after the dealer changed the oil and test drove the car? Not sure...I just want it to be right. Another payment is due...and my insurance premium just came out of my account too!
Old 9/29/11, 02:34 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know its aggravating. My '10 Chrysler winter car had steering issues off the lot last May and after 4 weeks of 'waiting for a tool' bs I wrote the CEO of the Dealership chain. "I have fed your family by purchasing a new car that I'm afraid to drive!"

That got all kinds of immediate response from the local Dealer dweebs. Phone rang off the hook. They replaced the rack but I still had to take it back 3 times to get the job completely right. Then this spring I had a rattle and asked them to check while on an oil change. Said it was a loose bolt. Thankfully it was a different mechanic because the first one was worthless - and I bet didn't tighten said bolt properly the first time.

Nobody cares anymore like the owner does.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/29/11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 9/29/11, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

So... most of you guys beat me up yesterday! I kept my mouth shut and took my lumps! ...And although I was super pissed about being away from my car for 44 days, I woke up and fell in love again as soon as I opened the garage door. Loaded up the wife and decided to head out for a nice lunch, as today is supposedly the last nice day of the week. Jumped on I81 south from a red light.. 1st gear...2nd gear..going into 3rd and I feel a significant power loss. Look at my dash and the orange engine light is flashing. Pulled over immediately and turned the car off. Called the dealer from my cell to explain what happened. The dealer told me to bring it in. (Checked the oil 1st!!!!) restarted the car and the engine light was no longer on. Got to the dealer and they plugged the car into their laptop. The tech told me there was a misfire on cylinders #1 and #6. Back to my Volkswagon Tiguan loaner car... WTF.

Dont panic about you car now. The dealer needs to contact the ford hotline and have them walk them thru the reset procedure. They have to reset the engine all the way back to factory specs. The exact same thing happened after they replaced my engine. If this is there first replacement they will not know they have to do this as it is new for this engine.

Now after about 6000 miles the cars is running better than ever.

Good luck
Old 9/29/11, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by shotzy
Dont panic about you car now. The dealer needs to contact the ford hotline and have them walk them thru the reset procedure. They have to reset the engine all the way back to factory specs. The exact same thing happened after they replaced my engine. If this is there first replacement they will not know they have to do this as it is new for this engine.

Now after about 6000 miles the cars is running better than ever.

Good luck
Thanks...Just got home with the car. That's exactly what they said they did. We'll see!
Old 9/29/11, 03:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks...Just got home with the car. That's exactly what they said they did. We'll see!

Great now go and enjoy your car. I drive mine 80 miles a day at least and she is running great now.

If she was only clean
Old 9/29/11, 05:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Way to come through in the clutch, Shotz!
Old 9/29/11, 05:54 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,750 Likes on 2,036 Posts
As an FYI,

In a cost cutting measure {I believe} FORD no longer Requires That the Oil be checked during the pre delivery. I had posted this previously and expressed my concern. When I was working at the Dealership we still did it anyway cause it just makes good sense. So as an FYI, I recommend Checking All your Fluids upon Delivery. PDF Shows what is currently checked.

Also Enclosed is New Engine Knock TSB.

Kc

February 8, 2010

To:All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealerships
Subject:2011 Model Year Dealer Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) Changes
The purpose of this communication is to inform dealers of the changes to the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) process effective with the 2011 model year.

WHAT'S CHANGING
  1. PDI Service Records (Check Sheets) and Labor Allowances will be published at OK to Buy for each vehicle.
  2. PDI Service Records (Check Sheets) will be vehicle specific to incorporate special instruction and to ensure the most up-to-date Service Record is being used.
  3. PDI operations that are no longer required have been eliminated for 2011MY. Due to the elimination of many operations, PDI labor allowances are projected to be reduced on all Passenger Car & Light Truck Programs.
PDI PUBLICATION TIMING

Previously, Dealer Preparation and Conditioning materials and labor allowances were developed and released annually (in August) to coincide with the vehicle summer change-over launches. In recent years, plant launches have changed from an annual summer process and new models are now launched during all times of the year.
  • What's changing: Beginning with 2011MY, PDI will be published at OK-to-Buy for each vehicle.
PDI CHECK SHEETS AND MANUAL
PDI Service Records (Check Sheets):

Previously, PDI Service Records were developed based on brand (Ford, Lincoln or Mercury). In 2009MY, Hybrids and Mustang GT500 were developed separately. Beginning with 2011MY, PDI Service Records will be vehicle-specific to incorporate special instructions and to ensure the most up-to-date Service Record is being used.
  • What's changing: New vehicle-specific PDI Service Records will be published at OK to Buy for each vehicle. Dealers should discontinue use of the old PDI check sheets and print new sheets for 2011MY as they are released.
PDI Manual:
Note that beginning in 2010MY, the PDI Manual is no longer published for Car & Light Truck applications. Additional instructions have been added to the PDI Service Records and many PDI operations are found in the Workshop Manual if additional instruction is required.
PDI OPERATIONS ELIMINATED

PDI operations are removed when they are no longer required. Refer to the vehicle specific PDI Service Record for all operations to be completed during PDI. Each vehicle is reviewed prior to launch for applicable operations.
  • What's Changing: Several PDI operations have been eliminated for 2011MY1 including (but not limited to):
    • Check fluid level, engine1
    • Check fluid level, transmission1
    • Check fluid level, clutch master cylinder1
    • Check fluid level, brake master cylinder1
    • Check fluid level, power steering fluid1
    • Calibrate Compass - technology changes no longer require PDI set-up
    • Set-up Satellite Navigation DVD system - technology changes no longer require PDI set-up
    • Set hubs to auto position (F-series) - assembly plant completes this operation
    • Torque wheel lug nuts (F-series) - assembly plant completes this operation
    • Paint touch-up: Note that time is included in the PDI labor allowance for inspecting the vehicle for paint defects and damage, but labor for applying "touch-up" paint is no longer included. Many new paints may require special handling for correction of any problems. Dealers should refer to the Warranty and Policy Manual for specific policy direction on the differences in paint defects covered under the manufacturer's warranty and paint damage from transport. All paint damage from dealer storage and handling are the responsibility of the dealer.
1 Fluid Level Checks were removed for 2009MY and 2010MY effective 3/16/2009 with no reduction in the PDI labor allowance for 2009MY or 2010MY.
Attached Thumbnails No Oil!!!!-tsb11-9-151.jpg   No Oil!!!!-tsb11-9-152.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2012Mustang-PDI.pdf (186.3 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/29/11 at 06:29 PM.
Old 9/30/11, 07:40 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So... most of you guys beat me up yesterday! Jumped on I81 south from a red light.. 1st gear...2nd gear..going into 3rd and I feel a significant power loss. Look at my dash and the orange engine light is flashing. Pulled over immediately and turned the car off. Called the dealer from my cell to explain what happened. The dealer told me to bring it in. (Checked the oil 1st!!!!) restarted the car and the engine light was no longer on. Got to the dealer and they plugged the car into their laptop. The tech told me there was a misfire on cylinders #1 and #6. Back to my Volkswagon Tiguan loaner car...
Oh, my!!! I’m sorry to hear about this, cd4537! Please give your CSM Erin a call and update her about this as soon as possible. If you need me, please let me know.

Deysha
Old 9/30/11, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Oh, my!!! I’m sorry to hear about this, cd4537! Please give your CSM Erin a call and update her about this as soon as possible. If you need me, please let me know.

Deysha
Thanks Deysha! Will do.
Old 9/30/11, 08:15 PM

Spent the afternoon (4 hrs) washing and waxing! Car looks AMAZING!! Drove to pick my daughter up at "Teen Night" at the local ice skating rink. You guessed it.... CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS BACK ON!!!! I need some answers!
Old 9/30/11, 08:22 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like you need a scan tool.
Old 9/30/11, 09:24 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Sounds like you need a scan tool.
Old 10/1/11, 07:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Spent the afternoon (4 hrs) washing and waxing! Car looks AMAZING!! Drove to pick my daughter up at "Teen Night" at the local ice skating rink. You guessed it.... CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS BACK ON!!!! I need some answers!
I bet you they just cleared it and did not do the whole process. I would have them call fords hotline and have them walk the tech thru the whole process.

It is my understanding that this procedure is very different from any other engine that ford has offered and the whole process is new. At least that is what my tech told me. And he is very good and does most of the rebuild and super charger installs here on long island. You should see some of the cars he has in the shop.

Good luck.
Old 10/1/11, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

Deysha

I would be on the phone with ^^^^ raising hell! Your dealer needs to get this done right, and RIGHT NOW!
Old 10/1/11, 08:00 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by VTXFrank

I would be on the phone with ^^^^ raising hell! Your dealer needs to get this done right, and RIGHT NOW!
Why? It's not daysha's fault.. that's like yelling at the waitress cause the chef undercooked your steak.. wait.. you probably do that don't you
Old 10/3/11, 06:47 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks Deysha! Will do.
Please give your CSM a call today and update her. At least your ride looked great when you picked your daughter up! (J/K)

Deysha
Old 10/3/11, 07:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texastboneking
Why? It's not daysha's fault.. that's like yelling at the waitress cause the chef undercooked your steak.. wait.. you probably do that don't you
I didn't mean to say I would be yelling at her. She is too helpful of a person to yell at and like you said, it's not her fault. Bad choice of words on my part.
Old 10/3/11, 07:24 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by VTXFrank

I didn't mean to say I would be yelling at her. She is too helpful of a person to yell at and like you said, it's not her fault. Bad choice of words on my part.
All's good
Old 10/8/11, 09:46 PM

Picked up the car at 8am. Dealer said they fixed the problem and per the hotline, I am to record and report exactly what conditions are present should I lose power and experience the same flashing engine light again. Well, it took exactly 4 miles. Yup...momentary power loss and flashing "check engine" light. WTF!!!!! Back to the dealer on Monday. This is ridiculous.

Quick Reply: No Oil!!!!