Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

MT82 trans fluid replacement

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/21, 04:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MT82 trans fluid replacement

I've been looking around for something better than the MERCON V recommended by Ford. My top choices are BG Synchroshift II, Redline MTL, and Royal Purple Synchromax.

My BOSS is currently my daily driver, and I just broke 6,000 miles yesterday. Given the age of the car the fluids are long overdue for a swap, especially since I didn't buy it new.

What's the consensus about these? Is there a fourth, even better option? I'd love to hear about it.
Old 9/21/21, 08:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Mobil 1 ATF. And while my experience is with the remotely mounted shiftered, three rail internal, grindy/notchy TR3650, it is pretty good stuff IMO after trying Syncrhomax (which was nifty at first then... wasn't), and then after that the Pennzoil real deal Syncromesh (ditto), and of course the original fluid before all that (which started the whole mess...)

The Mobil 1 did a really good job at making things better. Cold trans is still a problem for notchiness, but after it's warmed up, it's pretty good to go. I think that's pretty much the normal for these things anyway, fluid's gotta get where it can flow.

Anyway, I've also read around that the MT-82 likes the stuff too, so there's my vote for ya. Not sure it helps, but if it helped mine...?

That said... if your transmission is not exhibiting any issues, or you're not doing 'just driving it' use, there's no real reason to change the kind of fluid in there. If it's happy, I'd put same back in. I only changed out the fluid in a desperate attempt to fix the grindy/notchy issue and the Mobil 1 seems to work best. Also, exact fill is important, too much or too little makes a big difference as I found out.

And welcome to the forums!

Last edited by houtex; 9/21/21 at 07:01 PM.
Old 9/21/21, 09:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
there was a lot of discussion around this a few years back when the MT82 was new and the issues were hot on everyone's mind . . . not sure exactly where that landed, I thought the "best" was something different from Mobil-1 but I don't remember exactly

somewhere along the way there was an additive that was recommended by Ford, but I think it was superseded by something better later

vulrath if you use the search tool, you might be able to find those old threads and trace them to the latest and greatest recommendation
Old 9/21/21, 11:45 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,138 Likes on 817 Posts
Somewhere in this forum is the answer to your question. I had made a note on this, but not sure if it was the final best choice for the MT-82 replacement fluid, but I have it as Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid with these part numbers XT-11-QDC / WSS-M2C2200-D2.

I would do as @Bert suggested and search TMS, it is here somewhere.
The following users liked this post:
Bert (9/22/21)
Old 9/22/21, 05:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Somewhere in this forum is the answer to your question. I had made a note on this, but not sure if it was the final best choice for the MT-82 replacement fluid, but I have it as Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid with these part numbers XT-11-QDC / WSS-M2C2200-D2. . . . . .
yep, that's what I was trying to remember (stinks to have CRS, LOL) . . . but I think there might have been a later recommendation
shaneyusa (9/24/21)
Old 9/24/21, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the info, I started looking around.

Based on the advice of my mechanic and a few other people I trust regarding such matters, I was going to go to Royal Purple. Now I'm waffling between that and the Ford DCT. I'm honestly okay with how it shifts (well, now that I know the issues I was having were from 9 year old tires triggering the traction control, anyway), but I'm still a bit paranoid given this transmission's less than stellar reputation.
Old 9/24/21, 04:58 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,138 Likes on 817 Posts
Here is a couple of the references for the Dual Clutch Automatic trans fluid recommendations from Ford... You can look through these to see what others were thinking or trying. I know @Gabe has ties to a Ford Dealership as a past Service Writer. He has connections and is very knowledgeable on Mustang service topics... Hope this is helpful...

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...3/#post7029176

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...2/#post6124066
Old 9/24/21, 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Here is a couple of the references for the Dual Clutch Automatic trans fluid recommendations from Ford... You can look through these to see what others were thinking or trying. I know @Gabe has ties to a Ford Dealership as a past Service Writer. He has connections and is very knowledgeable on Mustang service topics... Hope this is helpful...

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...3/#post7029176

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...2/#post6124066
And currently a Ford Service Advisor again, for better or for worse, lol.
Moved to NC and it's currently paying the bills.

As far as mt82 fluid, I'd start with the updated Ford recommendation and go from there.
I still have the custom-blended BND Automotive fluid in mine, and have no shifting issues.
Car is 9 years old, 54,000 miles on it, original clutch. Clutch helper spring removed about 8 years ago, fluid replaced about 8.5 years ago, at 10 k miles. Tried the "Amsoil cocktail" for 1,000 miles, went back to BND fluid
Not sure if BND is still in business, but if they are, that's the only fluid I'd recommend for this transmission.
shaneyusa (9/25/21)
Old 9/24/21, 06:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
They are Gabe BND Automotive
Old 10/21/21, 10:48 AM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I changed the fluid in my '14GT earlier this year. No special reason, just time and mileage. I used Ford's dual clutch fluid. Since my car is a late build '14 [ May '14 ] it probably had dual clutch fluid from the factory. Maybe I just got lucky, but I really can't complain about the MT 82. I think the ratios in it are really good at least in the earlier '11-'17 models. There is a little notchyness from 1st. to 2nd. and more noticeable when cold, but I think most of the shifting complaints can be attributed to the Rube Goldberg shift linkage. Even with the crappy linkage I can shift fine once I learned to let the centering spring do the work and not try to guide the shifter when going from 2nd. to 3rd. or 5th. to 4th.. The dual clutch fluid is expensive stuff, must be liquid gold. I have an employee discount at my local Ford dealer and it still cost me about $80.00 to do the job.
The following 2 users liked this post by SilrBult:
Bert (10/21/21), shaneyusa (10/22/21)
Old 10/22/21, 01:07 PM

Well, I drove all the way out to my mechanic's place, got it on the lift, drained the old fluid...and then realized that Amazon sent me diff fluid (Royal Purple Gear Max) instead of the manual transmission fluid I ordered (RP Synchromax). Yeah, I messed up by not looking ahead of time.

Long story short, I ended up with Pennzoil Synchromesh MTF in there for the time being because it was what we could get locally. I've got Amsoil sitting in a box waiting for me to get the time and energy to change it again. That said, it shifts a whole lot smoother now.
Old 10/22/21, 01:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think the Pennzoil was one of the top contenders at some point, so probably not such a bad thing . . . or maybe I am thinking of the TR3650 transmission; not sure if they like the same fluid best
Old 1/11/22, 06:27 AM

I figured I'd do an update here. I've got almost 3 months and about 4k miles (yeah, I get around) since I swapped the fluid. Overall, shifting has much improved, though I think that's as much me as it is the MTF. It's still a bit notchy, but acceptably so. I think things will only get better from here when I finally get around to replacing all of the brake/clutch fluid with the super DOT 4 I have sitting on the shelf waiting for my back to cooperate. That and the radiator fluid are the only things I have left to change.
Old 1/11/23, 03:38 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I sold my 13 gt a couple years back and i missed it . I tried hellcats and even 2 1320 challengers-but my supercharged gt was hard to beat. So i sold a project and promised if I found another low miles example id buy it. I found one a 2013 with 135 actual miles and I replaced all fluids. Im installing a brenspeed roush 710r and i wanted any advantage i could get. Kit is on way !
I changed mt82 fluid on my lift.. probably spilled a pint,,kinda worried me because with all 3 quarts in it didnt run out fill hole..
so...................
after a week of worrying about it i bought the dual clutch motorcraft fluid and the MT82 additive "AGAIN".
This time it went perfect no spillage but with 3 quarts its still not running out....but I checked level with new zip tie of all things and it looks close to fill hole so I think all is great.
My question is about the additive.
1st change the additive looked like trans fluid I coulda swore it was 4 oz.
It was definitely the mt82 additive from Ford.
Today when I did the fluid change AGAIN im adding the additive to second quart and it looked just pure nasty.
Like spam jelly lol that was dark brown. I cut bottle open made sure i got all the jelly looking additive in fluid shaking it up.
Whats the deal was there 2 versions of the mt82 additive.
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Old 1/11/23, 04:11 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
@dlc1

2013 Shop Manual Pdf's .

Hope It Helps!

See Item 59 on Trans Assembly PDF for Additive Info.

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2013 MustangTrans Specs.pdf (183.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf
2013 MustangTrans.pdf (218.1 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/11/23 at 04:36 PM.