Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Had a clunkling noise in rear for sometime and

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/14, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
150 bucks to replace a 25 dollar part is ridiculous. Just change it yourself.
Old 4/28/14, 09:23 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 11GTBlu
Dealer replaced my 2011 GT's passenger-side rear swaybar link at 29k miles last year, which took care of the problem. Now that my car is out of warranty, the driver-side rear swaybar link is getting noisy. It fails the "hit the swaybar with your hand" test, resulting in the dreaded "clunk" noise. Dealer said it's ~ $150 to replace it; said Ford is strict about only replacing things when they are broken; that's why he couldn't replace both sides last year when I was still under warranty. => Does anyone know if there's an UPGRADE available? I don't want to be spending $150 x 2 every few years with the dealer for something that should last 10 years / 100k+ miles (as it has on every other car I've owned). Deysha -> any suggestions?
Hi 11GTBlu,

Per the warranty guide included with your vehicle, we will repair, replace, or adjust those parts that are found to be defective in materials or workmanship during the warranty period. This is why your dealership repaired the one side only.

I recommend speaking with your service manager, as he is in the best position to look into this for you and can check into any, assistance, discounts, or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle.

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty.

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Try to contact the Ford reps on this forum, and FoMoCo corporate to explain your issue. Ford should have replaced both sides the first time. They might just surprise you and pay for your repair.
Thanks for the mention, PJRManagement.

Deysha
Old 5/2/17, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem with my '13 Convertible GT. I drive during summer time only so when I took my Stang out this morning I noticed an awful noise coming from the rear (mainly over speed bumps or potholes). Normally, this would happen during cold starts and it will reduce the noise after 10-15 of the drive (no idea why that happens).

As my car is already out of warranty (38Kms) not sure if my dealership would do anything about it (replacing bushings or sway bar). Last time when it was in warranty they have added some lube but that's about it and I was told it was a known problem with Mustangs.
Old 1/4/20, 03:41 PM

Rear vibration at highway speeds and loud knocking clunking noise

Originally Posted by FordService
You are more than welcome to get a second opinion at another Ford dealer. Also, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this if needed.

Deysha
I have a 2013 GT and I am hearing and feeling a loud knocking/clunking noise from what sounds like the rear passenger if not both sides going over little bumps or frankly anything not strait and now a vibration of steering wheel and car itself at highway speeds over 50mph...I had a Similar sound in the front and ended up being the control arm I had a garage replace and was fixed...I'm wondering if anyone has an idea if could be the control arms, sway bar or bushings and how to tell bc went underneath and everything looks fine and cant replicate the sound? Thanks
Old 1/4/20, 05:53 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Rear clunk could be rear swayer endlinks. Mine clunked and I replaced them with Steeda units after Ford failed multiple times to get the correct part.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (3/2/22)
Old 3/1/22, 02:17 PM

Mustang 06 clunking noises of rear of car.

This is not normal! Bushings sway bar possibly struts?
Old 3/2/22, 12:50 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
It is indeed normal, bushings and links all wear out from age and mileage.. It's know as normal wear and tear!