Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Had a clunkling noise in rear for sometime and

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/12, 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had a clunkling noise in rear for sometime and took it in for service yesterday.

They discovered bad rear shocks and swaybar links...Just wanted to share in case anyone had same sound.

Last edited by elvism; 11/27/12 at 09:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lisa Ann 06 (3/1/22)
Old 11/27/12, 09:50 PM
GTR Member

How many times are you going to post threads where you split the title in the post body? It's not rocket science, and people have told you how to properly start a thread.
Old 11/28/12, 03:20 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by elvism
They discovered bad rear shocks and swaybar links...Just wanted to share in case anyone had same sound.
Hi elvism,

I'm glad you took it to the dealer so they could evaluate the cause? Keep me posted on any future concerns. I can escalate them to a regional customer service manager; just PM your VIN, mileage, dealer, full name, and best contact number.

Andrea
Old 12/11/12, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a clunking noise in my rear suspension; sounds almost like something is banging around in the trunk. I emptied the entire trunk, spare tire, jack, etc just to make sure -- but sound is still there when I hit bumps. Dealer has had the car twice, saying they've re-torqued everything and they say it's "normal." 2011 GT with 28k miles; I don't think this is "normal". I wonder what your dealer knows that mine doesn't about how to diagnose!
Old 12/11/12, 06:54 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
My rear 'clunk' noises were finally diagnosed (by me) as the incorrect rear sway bar bushings. Granted, mine were aftermarket (Eibach), but the correct bushings cured the problem immediately. Try this - with the car on the ground, climb under the rear, bang your fist on the rear sway bar, if it vibrates loudly, then the bushings are your problem. Perhaps this information can help you, good luck.

Ps: my thread on this:
https://themustangsource.com/f800/eibach-saga-513871/
Old 12/12/12, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 11GTBlu
I've had a clunking noise in my rear suspension; sounds almost like something is banging around in the trunk. I emptied the entire trunk, spare tire, jack, etc just to make sure -- but sound is still there when I hit bumps. Dealer has had the car twice, saying they've re-torqued everything and they say it's "normal." 2011 GT with 28k miles; I don't think this is "normal". I wonder what your dealer knows that mine doesn't about how to diagnose!
Hi 11GTBlu,

Not sure if you saw my other post, but I recommend you speak to your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Your service manager will be in the best position to assist you with this. Keep me posted on what happens.

Deysha
Old 12/12/12, 07:24 PM

Thanks, Deysha. But it WAS the service manager at the dealer who road-tested the car with me. He said he didn't hear anything unusual. I've got a '69 Mustang and a '72 Mustang, and my '11 is the one with the suspension noise. I do NOT think this is a normal sound. Another post mentioned someone had bad shocks and sway bar links; are these known issues for '11 Mustangs?
Old 12/13/12, 08:00 AM

Thanks, Deysha. But it WAS the service manager at the dealer who road-tested the car with me. He said he didn't hear anything unusual. I've got a '69 Mustang and a '72 Mustang, and my '11 is the one with the suspension noise. I do NOT think this is a normal sound. Another post mentioned someone had bad shocks and sway bar links; are these known issues for '11 Mustangs?
You are more than welcome to get a second opinion at another Ford dealer. Also, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this if needed.

Deysha
Old 1/3/13, 06:13 PM

Hi Deysha,
Thanks for the advice. I took my car to another dealer. They replaced the right rear sway bar link (under warranty), and the noise is gone!
Old 1/3/13, 07:55 PM

I took my car to another dealer. They replaced the right rear sway bar link (under warranty), and the noise is gone!
---
umm...you're welcome!
Glad you got it fixed. Hope my post helped you diagnose it.
Old 1/4/13, 11:57 AM

Hi Deysha,
Thanks for the advice. I took my car to another dealer. They replaced the right rear sway bar link (under warranty), and the noise is gone!
Awesome! Thanks for the update.

Deysha
Old 1/4/13, 12:49 PM

Hi PJR,
I took you advice and crawled under the car, hitting the sway bar, links, panhard bar, etc with my fist -- and then with a rubber mallet -- But couldn't get any vibrations or clanging. Maybe my stock bushings / link-end weren't quite worn enough yet (especially with the weight of the car on them?). The first dealer had supposedly put the car on a lift and re-torqued everything (but accomplished nothing); the 2nd dealer seemed to know just what to do and in fact, said this is common with Mustangs (and Ford Focus). Lesson Learned: some dealers know more than others (and some forum members know more than some dealers)
Old 1/4/13, 09:40 PM

Hi PJR,
I took you advice and crawled under the car, hitting the sway bar, links, panhard bar, etc with my fist -- and then with a rubber mallet -- But couldn't get any vibrations or clanging. Maybe my stock bushings / link-end weren't quite worn enough yet (especially with the weight of the car on them?). The first dealer had supposedly put the car on a lift and re-torqued everything (but accomplished nothing); the 2nd dealer seemed to know just what to do and in fact, said this is common with Mustangs (and Ford Focus). Lesson Learned: some dealers know more than others (and some forum members know more than some dealers)
---
Glad you got it worked out. Since my suspension was from Eibach, I had to deal with Eibach. They kept telling me to tighten/torque everything, and I did this, more than once. Finally, when I was having my resonators cut out, the car was on the lift and the speed-shop-guy and I did the bang-with-a-fist thing everywhere...and...voila!...found the middle link bushings on the rear sway bar to be the wrong size - too big - allowed for the rear sway bar to 'clunk'. Correct bushings installed, problem solved. There have been other TMS users with the same issue, both OEM Ford and aftermarket Eibach. It's either the middle links and/or the bushings. It makes the whole rear very loud and clunky. I know you must be relieved...congrats.
Old 1/11/13, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by elvism
Had the same issue recently.Got my 2013 in March, and in October, started to develop a clunking sound at the left rear . Dealer replaced the link kit on Dec. 7 after ordering the part. 10 days later, developed the same sound , but from the right rear. Stopped at the dealer on Wednesday to explain the problem. The service technician did not ask any questions ; checked his inventory, confirmed that the part was in stock and booked an appt. for me this morning.
Old 1/12/13, 06:51 AM
Cobra Member

We had the same issue on the 2012 6'er. Took them a week to get the end links, but it fixed the issue.

2012 6'er Auto - had around 34k miles when the problem started
Old 2/1/13, 10:50 PM

I had the exact same issue. I bought the car back in September and had the dealership replace the sway bar link and bushing in the rear 3 times total now. The noise goes away for 1-2 weeks and then comes right back again. I am beyond livid that it's taken them this long to find a cure for it, but does anyone know why these parts fix the issue, but then they come back so soon? What's causing them to wear out prematurely?

Old 2/3/13, 07:31 AM
GT Member

^ That and what MustangGTCS13 said just above, just found this thread. My '13 V6 has ~400 miles on it, I got it 4 months ago. I did the exact same things as 11GTBlu, since it sounded like stuff loose in the trunk and also like a "rubbery" component to the noise (thought it could be a loose spare etc.).

Takes almost nothing to make the noise, just the slight "bump" from driveway asphalt to concrete garage floor, driving at about 1mph lol and it's a LOUD creaking noise. Sounds ridiculous driving on the not-exactly-pristine roads around here, it's neither acceptable nor tolerable. Though it's fairly cold here right now, the noise is very noticeable in the 40-50F temp range, which is when I mostly drove the car so far.

Actually, I suspected it was the big lower rear "plastic-covered" piece that wraps around on the '13s, as I've heard those sort of large parts creak on some other cars. But since I can correlate the noise to each side of the car depending on where I feel the "bump", it does make sense that it's possibly something separate for each side of the car. But since the noise comes back after your parts replacement, what do you think of my suspicion now? I am pretty sure my rear standard V6 suspension is quite different than a GT's, no?

I ask that because I found the cause of another annoying "creak" more up front and it had absolutely nothing to do with what people thought it was...and it was a simple/trivial and permanent fix for me, but extremely hard to find the cause.

[If it sounds like my car is a POS, it's not at all. Everything works fine and I'm quite happy with it. It's just that there were a lot of little annoying noises, and due to my profession, I can see exactly why they might occur using the assembly methods Ford does to keep the price down (or profits up, depending how you look at it).]

Last edited by cfraser; 2/3/13 at 07:39 AM.
Old 2/4/13, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by MustangGTCS13
I had the exact same issue. I bought the car back in September and had the dealership replace the sway bar link and bushing in the rear 3 times total now. The noise goes away for 1-2 weeks and then comes right back again. I am beyond livid that it's taken them this long to find a cure for it, but does anyone know why these parts fix the issue, but then they come back so soon? What's causing them to wear out prematurely?
Originally Posted by cfraser
^ That and what MustangGTCS13 said just above, just found this thread. My '13 V6 has ~400 miles on it, I got it 4 months ago. I did the exact same things as 11GTBlu, since it sounded like stuff loose in the trunk and also like a "rubbery" component to the noise (thought it could be a loose spare etc.)...
Hi guys,

Please bring your vehicles in to your Ford dealers as soon as possible for diagnosis and let me escalate this to the customer service manager of your area. Please, make an appointment with any Ford dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 4/26/14, 08:51 AM

Dealer replaced my 2011 GT's passenger-side rear swaybar link at 29k miles last year, which took care of the problem. Now that my car is out of warranty, the driver-side rear swaybar link is getting noisy. It fails the "hit the swaybar with your hand" test, resulting in the dreaded "clunk" noise. Dealer said it's ~ $150 to replace it; said Ford is strict about only replacing things when they are broken; that's why he couldn't replace both sides last year when I was still under warranty. => Does anyone know if there's an UPGRADE available? I don't want to be spending $150 x 2 every few years with the dealer for something that should last 10 years / 100k+ miles (as it has on every other car I've owned). Deysha -> any suggestions?
Old 4/26/14, 12:48 PM

Dealer replaced my 2011 GT's passenger-side rear swaybar link at 29k miles last year, which took care of the problem. Now that my car is out of warranty, the driver-side rear swaybar link is getting noisy. It fails the "hit the swaybar with your hand" test, resulting in the dreaded "clunk" noise. Dealer said it's ~ $150 to replace it; said Ford is strict about only replacing things when they are broken; that's why he couldn't replace both sides last year when I was still under warranty. => Does anyone know if there's an UPGRADE available? I don't want to be spending $150 x 2 every few years with the dealer for something that should last 10 years / 100k+ miles (as it has on every other car I've owned). Deysha -> any suggestions?
---
Try to contact the Ford reps on this forum, and FoMoCo corporate to explain your issue. Ford should have replaced both sides the first time. They might just surprise you and pay for your repair.

Quick Reply: Had a clunkling noise in rear for sometime and