Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Anyone else have their iPod being disconnected from sync randomly?

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/13, 06:35 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else have their iPod being disconnected from sync randomly?

I didn't have this problem with my '13. But this '14 disconnects when I cut the car off. When I turn it back on it says my ipod is charging, but it wont recognize it. Sometimes the voice commands wont work on it either. I have to unplug / plug the cable several times to get it to consider working. I talked to the tech guy at the dealer and he said it may be the cable I'm using. So I bought a new cable yet it still happens. I'm wondering if it's my iPod that's acting up now (it's an older nano that isn't touch) or if it's actually an issue with the system.

Anyone else experienced this and if so have they came up with a working solution?

Thanks!
Old 2/24/13, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this happens to me once in a while. It usually only happens when I turn off the ignition at times. When that happens I un plug it from the I pod for a few seconds (like TEN) then plug it back in. it starts playing usually with out re syncing.

Sync is very temperamental. When I first used it and did not know all the commands yet it told me I was wrong and what to say. I thought I was married again
Old 2/24/13, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I have a Nano about 2.5 years old, and it doesnt get recognized a couple times a week. Usually after using the blue tooth/phone and turning the car off, it wont find it when I restart. And sometimes, for no apparent reason when I turn the car on there is no iPod, even if I havent been using the phone. I have had to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in to get to work.

I find that if I press the menu button and scroll through until I get to the USB input and select it, that it will recognize my iPod after that.

As BradGTCS said, Sync is temperamental. I dont know if there are any Sync updates that you need to apply, that might help.
Old 2/24/13, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here on cutting the ignition off it takes it awhile to recognize.
Old 2/24/13, 09:43 PM
GT Member

I'll try the menu and scrolling to usb next time and see how that works. I wish there was an override or a way to force it to check for your ipod again instead of using some automatically detecting microsoft style software (which doesn't even always work on a pc). I know right now a lot of times when I say "USB" it says "No USB device connected"... when it's clearly connected.

That's the only frustration I have with this car right now. Some people will want to hear the shaker pro to compare it to theirs and they just kinda have this confused face while I'm plugging / unplugging my USB 5 times to get it to work... "here's my awesome 2014 that can't even recognize a dang ipod wooohooo"
Old 2/25/13, 08:46 AM

Cool

I used to have the same problem until I got fed up and bought a 16 gig thumb drive from big lots for $10 and transferred all my music to it. I have not had an issue since then. I actually gave my Ipod to my daughter right after it.
Old 2/25/13, 08:55 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Knight721
I used to have the same problem until I got fed up and bought a 16 gig thumb drive from big lots for $10 and transferred all my music to it. I have not had an issue since then. I actually gave my Ipod to my daughter right after it.
Let me just clarify.. so you're saying I can just get any regular flash drive and put audio files on it and it works the same? Could I put my music files in separate folders as a playlist of sorts and it works like that or how do you have it set up? This is the only thing I use my ipod for as well.
Old 2/25/13, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Shhhh
Let me just clarify.. so you're saying I can just get any regular flash drive and put audio files on it and it works the same? Could I put my music files in separate folders as a playlist of sorts and it works like that or how do you have it set up? This is the only thing I use my ipod for as well.
That's correct. I used a music program (windows) and I can search and play by Genre, artist, music or anything I label the particular song. SINC finds it and plays it a lot faster than with my old Ipod. What I love about this particular drive is that is less than an inch long and holds my entire music library!
Old 2/25/13, 02:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think I may try this and see how it works. I get tired of Sync always getting stuck indexing my freakin iPod when I want to change it up a bit.
Old 2/26/13, 07:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I think I may try this and see how it works. I get tired of Sync always getting stuck indexing my freakin iPod when I want to change it up a bit.
Same. Picking one up on the way home today and testing it tonight.
Old 2/26/13, 06:12 PM

Let me know if it worked to your liking. Like I said all you need is a music program. I use windows media play and it catalog all my music for me.