Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

401a interior - is this "normal"

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/13, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, my car has under 10K on it and my Driver's side recaro is starting to do this, too. I don't see this seat lasting 30K miles without the leather cracking at this point. My car is parked in a garage night and day and get's the best leather care system around and it hasn't prevented what I've seen here.
Old 11/12/13, 04:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thebms
I spoke with the dealer today - they said the engineer did a great job on the seat and prescribed the XL-18 friction modifier for my transmission. The a/c compressor problem was not reproduced - not too surprising considering its in the 50's up here in NE. I'm out of town for work, so I can't pick up the car until Saturday, but the dealer said they are keeping it in the garage until I return. I truly hope that everything is fixed - this has been a huge black eye on what could (and should) have been a truly great car.
How did it look?
Old 11/17/13, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
How did it look?
Thanks for asking. I've been reluctant to keep posting since I have nothing nice to say.

They stretched the leather taut, so far so good. The problem is they did this by adding a bunch of extra padding and modifying the springs (according to the work order). The seat is so overstuffed that I'm sitting about an inch and a half higher than before - I can't get the seat low enough for a proper seating position. The work order also said that they took apart and "adjusted" the seat back... not sure what that means or why it was necessary, but the seat does not feel the way it did stock (it used to be very comfortable, now its back pain city).

With the way the leather is bulging and overstuffed, I have not faith in it holding up. The materials and construction are garbage.

On top of that, they scratched up my door sill and surrounding area. Gee, thanks and lot Ford. The bolts look nearly stripped too.
Old 11/17/13, 08:58 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
D@mn it to hell. That is very disappointing. How hard is it for them to simply use a stock foam bottom seat bolster and new 401a bottom seat cover?!! There should not be any stuffing, adjusting, trimming, modding, stripping bolts... why?
Old 11/17/13, 10:04 PM
GT Member

They must $800 in peoples time and labor by now…not too mention your time and aggravation!
Old 11/18/13, 04:08 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
As a customer, you have the right to be satisfied. Mention those same things you posted above. Again.
Old 11/18/13, 07:41 AM

Wow - I'm sorry to hear of your nightmare with Ford. I just got the OK to grab a new work truck; Dodge or Ford. This type of manufacturer and dealer headache is pushing me towards the Ram.
Old 11/20/13, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
Man, my car has under 10K on it and my Driver's side recaro is starting to do this, too. I don't see this seat lasting 30K miles without the leather cracking at this point. My car is parked in a garage night and day and get's the best leather care system around and it hasn't prevented what I've seen here.
I suspected that bluejeans continued to dry and scuff the leather on my older Mustang. It was an '07 with Crimson Red leather. Nobody ever rode with me, so the driver's seat looked like hell and the rest of the seating was brand new. The car was rarely out in the bright sunlight for very long and was always garaged otherwise. I tried everything to revive the leather, but it continued to wrinkle, show wear and crack. The car was 5 years old, with 26k on the clock when I sold it. Never again will I buy leather interior. My 2014 GT has cloth and I'm very happy with it, so far.

Last edited by Missouri Hoss; 11/20/13 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11/20/13, 02:59 PM

I feel bad for all the trouble you are having. To all those asking why ford dosent just replace the seat, its because they dont sell them. All the parts are seperate. you have to keep in mind that these are most likely manufactured in Mexico and that when you are dealing with materials such as this, and dealing with assembled by hand materials, there will be some variance, and what is "commercially acceptable" will be just fine for 99% of the popluation, but for us mustang owners, we can be more particular. Based on the first picture, I would agree that that is defective. The replacements are not as smooth as the original, but they are not "defective", its just different. As you stated you have concerns with the seat being taken apart a few times, and that is warranted. Is taking it to another dealer an option? or having them sublet the work to a professional?? What about getting a new cover in and giving you the option of looking at it before it is opened and installed? If it was me, and It drove me crazy, I would probably fix it on my own dime. Otherwise this cycle is going to continue where you get a new cover in that may or may not be perfect, and then you are having the seat taken apart again and put together by a flat rate technician getting paid warranty time (probably getting paid for less than the time it actually takes to do). I would find a reputable high end upholstry shop, show him your photos and your expectations, and get his opinion on the quality of the ford material and see what he thinks he can do with either a new ford cover that you bring to him to install, or salvage this new cover. last resort would be if he can make a custom one with better materials and workmanship. otherwise, you may never be happy with it. last option is to just roll with it.
Old 11/20/13, 04:02 PM

Exactly. Tell them to supply you with new lower foam and seat cover and take it to a pro shop.

Be sure to stick Ford with the bill.

Too bad you don't live in Indiana, I know a d@mn good shop of 35 years.
Old 11/21/13, 07:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Exactly. Tell them to supply you with new lower foam and seat cover and take it to a pro shop.

Be sure to stick Ford with the bill.

Too bad you don't live in Indiana, I know a d@mn good shop of 35 years.

which shop and where?
Old 11/21/13, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
which shop and where?
It's calked Kent's auto upholstery in Indianapolis. Kevin Kent is the owner and has restored priceless classics and modern muscle.
Old 11/22/13, 12:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I'll keep that in mind. I'm originally from Carmel.