Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2012 5.0,lots of smoke cylinder 8 misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/11, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eric n
Given that those of us who are on our 4th or 5th or in my case 9th stang have been used to modding our cars and having them hold up pretty **** well, this mustang does seem a bit more fragile. While Ford has no responsibility to build a car capable of minor modding, it would seem that long time fans and SUPPORTERS might leave the Mustang fold with a bad taste in their mouths. I know if I have to go in pocket 7+ grand or so for mods that are minor at best I will likely purchase a different brand for my next car.

I haven't heard about Camaros and Corvettes blowing from a tune (then again I haven't researched). What is the financial value of customer satisfaction. Is it smart to build a car that you know will be significantly in the hands of enthusiasts and make it so fragile that a CAI and tune will cause catastrophic failure?

These are really minor mods to be so costly to consumers.
This motor is running at 440 hp FROM THE FACTORY and you guys are pissing and moaning about not being able to extract more power from the car because you don't want to pay to play?

On my 4.6 I had to spend upwards of 5 grand to get my car where your car is FROM THE FACTORY!

Ford produced an incredible engine with a CR of 11:1 because they wanted to give Mustang enthusiasts a badass Mustang that was faster than ANY OTHER CAR at its price point.

People will complain no matter what I guess.

Look at it this way... if Ford had produced the 5.0 with a 9:1 CR and more room to mod then it would have probably rated more toward 350hp or so depending (I'm totally guessing) and then you would HAVE to buy a blower to get it BACK up to 440hp. So you would have to pay upwards of 3-5k with fuel pumps, blower, tune, etc.

Would you be happy then?

I agree a tune and CAI is a "minor" mod for sure. But minor I suppose is a relative term when talking about different motors.

It seems to me that this particular 5.0 motor is close to its limit already and maybe that's why people are having issues.

I agree that Ford probably should have engineered more wiggle room in the motor for cases like these, but it is what it is.

You want to go to Chevy... go for it. I'm sure they'll pay for you to mod your car and then blow it up....or not?
Old 8/4/11, 10:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

440? Are talking BOSS? Us GT owners only have a measly 412.
Old 8/4/11, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah 440 is the Boss motor. And besides, the boss is all forged internals so we know it won't drop #8.
Old 8/4/11, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Well technically, Ford does have to "prove it". The problem is that if they say they won't fix your car, the burden of proof is basically who the judge/arbitrator/etc believes the most, and not beyond a reasonable doubt. If Ford can show that any car had a particular failure from a tune that alone should give them a win much of the time. BUT the other side of that coin is if there is proof that this failure has occurred without a tune, that becomes a draw at best and I suspect a tie goes to the consumer. So find and document those non-tuned #8 failures that were fixed under warranty.
this cannot be said enough....everyone who has ANY contact @ dealerships, tuners who have heard of stock failures ect should be beating the bushes trying to find un-tuned cars with this problem and getting as much info about them as possible. If it can be shown that stock cars have this problem, even not as frequent as tuned cars the entire issue then becomes a position for ford they have to defend, not the guys with the tuned cars.
Old 8/4/11, 10:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
440? Are talking BOSS? Us GT owners only have a measly 412.

Oh yes sorry... a measly 412
Old 8/4/11, 11:31 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackOut2k11
Yeah 440 is the Boss motor. And besides, the boss is all forged internals so we know it won't drop #8.
True forged? Or forged powdered metal and hypereutectic pistons?

And some have complained about ring spacing. Is the ring spacing the same in the Boss engine as the GT?

And didn't they remove the piston squirters on the Boss?

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/4/11 at 11:37 AM.
Old 8/4/11, 11:40 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Turboba6
Smart Man, don't even Try to make Ford Honor their Warranty. Instead just go
Off and Spend your OWN 8 Grand!!! Apparently your Rollin like that....
Sounds to me like he manned up. And isn't just another American crook trying to steal from others for his own error/risk taking.

Respect.
Old 8/4/11, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Sounds to me like he manned up. And isn't just another American crook trying to steal from others for his own error/risk taking.

Respect.
+1. Agreed. Like everyone else in this country.
Old 8/4/11, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
True forged? Or forged powdered metal and hypereutectic pistons?

And some have complained about ring spacing. Is the ring spacing the same in the Boss engine as the GT?

And didn't they remove the piston squirters on the Boss?

According to the August issue of 5.0 magazine (has a whole article on the BOSS engine), the pistons are Mahle forged pistons, and the rods are upgraded powdered rods. The crank is also upgraded slightly, but not much since the GT crank is forged as well. So the rods aren't fully forged, but the pistons are. And yes, the squirters are removed in the boss application, but this is because of the pistons. The GT pistons depend on those squirters to keep them cool enough not to come apart.
Old 8/4/11, 11:58 AM

How do u get profile pic?
Old 8/4/11, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by quikazzstang
How do u get profile pic?
Computer..go to site...user options...avatar
Old 8/4/11, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Turboba6

Smart Man, don't even Try to make Ford Honor their Warranty. Instead just go
Off and Spend your OWN 8 Grand!!! Apparently your Rollin like that....
They have a TSB on this failure... They'll find out the car is tuned and they'll just tell me to eff off. It's 150 to plug in their check engine diagnostic alone and who knows how much for everything else... And no im not " rolling like that" either. They aren't going to fix it and it has nothing to do with my TR6060, they wouldn't even notice it.

I'm actually off of work today. You guys want me to take it in to the Ford dealership? Tune it to stock and unplug the battery... Just to prove to you that they aren't going to warranty it. I do believe that they should prove it was the tune but they aren't because of that TSB.
How much would they charge me for a compression test if they did that?

Thanks guys...
Old 8/4/11, 12:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Imatk

He wants to be able to mod and when it goes **** up he wants someone else to pay... that's what he doesn't understand.

Cry about it all you want and stamp your feet and heck even file a lawsuit, but you still won't get a free motor after you've modded your car and blow it up.

Oh wait... what do I know... I drive a Prius?
Totally opposite. A tune is not going fry the #8 cylinder each and every time there is a failure. If it was randomly #1-8 , then I would say ok folks this engine can not handle a tune. This motor was designed to handle future forced induction by Ford etc. When the stock cars pile up with #8 cylinder problems, is when **** will hit the fan. I don't want anything for free, just fairness to customers . No different than your Prius getting 20 MPG.
Old 8/4/11, 12:32 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2012GT
This motor was designed to handle future forced induction by Ford etc.
Says who... at 11.1?

Sounds to me like Ford was wanting to get the most out of NA. That some are using mild boost is their own experiment.
Old 8/4/11, 12:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

It looks like you will not see anymore aggressive tunes from tuners. Most tunes will be pretty even across the board now. They are all keeping a/f 12.1-12.4 or Air Fuel its commanded Widebands will target and correct to +-1% of target which is .84 lambda. Spark will be Safe. KS will be stock.
Old 8/4/11, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
Totally opposite. A tune is not going fry the #8 cylinder each and every time there is a failure. If it was randomly #1-8 , then I would say ok folks this engine can not handle a tune. This motor was designed to handle future forced induction by Ford etc. When the stock cars pile up with #8 cylinder problems, is when **** will hit the fan. I don't want anything for free, just fairness to customers . No different than your Prius getting 20 MPG.

You don't want anything for free but you want to mod your car and have Ford fix it when it blows?

How is that not wanting anything for free?

I'm sure they will replace a motor for someone that is running a stock car and the #8 piston goes. But under your reasoning they should include you as well... just because it's not "fair" to not include you?

BTW a Prius gets much more than 20 mpg I'm pretty sure... I'd love to race your 2011 in my "Prius"

Also I agree with the above statement by cdynaco... a motor with an 11:1 CR is NOT setup for boost.

Last edited by Imatk; 8/4/11 at 01:27 PM.
Old 8/4/11, 02:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jcint
X2!!! I have owned 6 mustangs in my life ALL except for 1 were modded. We buy these cars to make them mine ( custom). I read that since these are new engines they need to be tuned diffrently. They cannot be tuned like the old 4.6. Im curious as how many of these #8 failures were with a Dyno tune or mail order tune. I had the Steeda tune which he loaded without even putting it on a dyno. I didn't like that, not all 5.0 are the same. I took the car right away to BBR and he put it on the dyno and gave me a custom tune. that was 13k miles ago. Car is still running great no problems. My only regret was I was quick to get the car modded, i should of waited until the warrantee expired. Oh well gotta keep moving forward. Oh and BTW i have been down the track 2x and i drive like i stole it! RADAR DETECTORS FTW!!
This is the first Mustang of the 4 I've owned that I haven't modded. Partially because the car seems plenty fast enough as is but now I'm worried about popping an engine. Guess I could go with AM and their warrantee coverage. But since this is my daily driver I really couldn't afford to have any down time. I'm going to watch and wait until this all gets sorted.
Old 8/4/11, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Imatk
You want to go to Chevy... go for it. I'm sure they'll pay for you to mod your car and then blow it up....or not?

As a Corvette owner I can assure you that GM will NOT cover your car if it blows and it is tuned. GM is very strict on covering cars that are tuned. That is why my car is staying 100% stock. Ford isn't doing any thing different than the other manufacturers are in protecting themselves.
Old 8/4/11, 03:06 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by StangFreak
As a Corvette owner I can assure you that GM will NOT cover your car if it blows and it is tuned. GM is very strict on covering cars that are tuned. That is why my car is staying 100% stock. Ford isn't doing any thing different than the other manufacturers are in protecting themselves.
Same with Chrysler. A race shop I deal with said they are so **** that I should remove my oil sep before taking it to the Dealer.
Old 8/4/11, 03:46 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by unas2k5
How much would they charge me for a compression test if they did that?

Thanks guys...
A hell of a lot more than it would cost you to go to a parts store, buy one and do it yourself.

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0,lots of smoke cylinder 8 misfire.