Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2012 5.0,lots of smoke cylinder 8 misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/11, 10:24 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unas2k5
Do you think I should get the manifold? Will it make my car faster? I read some threads on the s197 forums and they were having to shift at 7800RPMS which is insane... Not sure if I want it. I also read on there that theres no re-tune needed for it.

Thanks
Yeah that was my point - it gives you more power but at the top end. So are you planning on driving at that high of rpm's on the street? Prob not. So it would be mostly unusable power. Unless you plan on going to the track as well. Again like some have said, what are your goals for the car?
Old 8/16/11, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
According to the article in MM&FF, the oil squirters were capped off to reduce the robbing of horsepower as the RPMs went higher. I might not have that all the way correct, but there was a definite reason they were not enabled.

Yes, I read that too... Shoud I just run the oil squirters to cool the pistons down or no? I'm not sure.
Old 8/16/11, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yeah that was my point - it gives you more power but at the top end. So are you planning on driving at that high of rpm's on the street? Prob not. So it would be mostly unusable power. Unless you plan on going to the track as well. Again like some have said, what are your goals for the car?

Thanks,

I want to be able to get the fastest 1/4 mile time. It is my daily driver...
I WILL NOT let my car rev over 7300RPMS though. I was told by Gus that if I ran the Boss valve springs I'd be able to rev higher safely. I'm not sure if Boss valve springs come with the Boss 302 assembly or not...anyone know? I think I'm already losing torque with the TR6060... I'm getting 4.30 gears soon to see if that helps.

Last edited by unas2k5; 8/16/11 at 02:18 PM.
Old 8/16/11, 03:10 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 627 Likes on 452 Posts
Yes, I read that too... Shoud I just run the oil squirters to cool the pistons down or no? I'm not sure.
I think if it were me, I would run the oil squirters, especially if I were going to go FI at some point.

Thanks,

I was told by Gus that if I ran the Boss valve springs I'd be able to rev higher safely. I'm not sure if Boss valve springs come with the Boss 302 assembly or not...anyone know?.
If its just a shortblock I can't see any valvetrain items coming with it. And keep the future in mind as well. At some point down the road you may want to add cams, and if they're aggressive you're going to need valve springs for them, and the ones on the Boss may not be enough. I don't know how much different they are, but I'd say not nearly enough for a hot set of cams, so I wouldn't waste the money on Boss springs and having them installed now when you may have to buy more later. Just my .02
Old 8/16/11, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks ,

I'll run the oil squirters... I'm getting a really good deal on labor from Blue Collar Performance ( under 2k). How long does it take to install the oil squirters? Wonder if that'll change the quote I got.
Old 8/16/11, 05:17 PM
Post *****

Thanks ,

I'll run the oil squirters... I'm getting a really good deal on labor from Blue Collar Performance ( under 2k). How long does it take to install the oil squirters? Wonder if that'll change the quote I got.
According to your SVTperformance link it looks like it comes with squirters - but for an extra $39 they'll block them off.

ADD MMR Oil Squirter Block-offs for only $39.99 (similar to 2012 BOSS)
Old 8/16/11, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks ,

The oil squirters are deleted on the Boss to prevent cavitation a the high rpms the Boss motor makes it's peak power at (7500 RPM)

If you are running the Boss manifold you will need to rev it much higher than the stock manifold, almost 1,000 RPM higher than the stock GT
Old 8/16/11, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

According to your SVTperformance link it looks like it comes with squirters - but for an extra $39 they'll block them off.

I didn't buy anything from MMR.

I bought a 2012 Boss 302 Short block assembly. The assembly comes with the block offs. The seller says he can give me the oil squirters (they're off a 5.0). Or I can just use my oil squirters. Do you know if the squirter is an easy install or not?
Old 8/16/11, 05:34 PM
Post *****

I bought a 2012 Boss 302 Short block assembly. The assembly comes with the block offs. The seller says he can give me the oil squirters (they're off a 5.0). Or I can just use my oil squirters. Do you know if the squirter is an easy install or not?
Sorry, I scrolled back to see what you bought and got confused. I don't know any details about the squirters.
Old 8/16/11, 07:53 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Whether or not you'll be able to retain the oil squirters with your new engine will ultimately come down to which pistons you run. The stock, cast aluminum Coyote 5.0L piston features narrow skirt tail "lands" which will allow you to run the oil squirters. However, you'll be unable to utilize the squirters if you run the forged Boss piston; from what I've seen, there are no oil squirter provisions / reliefs featured on most forged, aftermarket pistons, either.

For reference, here's the forged Boss piston vs. stock, cast Coyote 5.0L piston.

Old 8/16/11, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MARZ

Whether or not you'll be able to retain the oil squirters with your new engine will ultimately come down to which pistons you run. The stock, cast aluminum Coyote 5.0L piston features narrow skirt tail "lands" which will allow you to run the oil squirters. However, you'll be unable to utilize the squirters if you run the forged Boss piston; from what I've seen, there are no oil squirter provisions / reliefs featured on most forged, aftermarket pistons, either.

For reference, here's the forged Boss piston vs. stock, cast Coyote 5.0L piston.
He's ran the 5.0 squirters on a Boss 302 block.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66548

Thanks
Old 8/16/11, 08:27 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

He's ran the 5.0 squirters on a Boss 302 block.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66548

Thanks
You can run them, there's no denying that. With the Boss pistons, though, you won't have much, if any, access to the undercrown of the piston, which is where you want the oil directed. If you're going to run the forged Boss pistons, then there's really no need for them. Running the squirters, all you'll be doing is creating parasitic windage losses; why do you think Ford omitted them?
Old 8/16/11, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MARZ

You can run them, there's no denying that. With the Boss pistons, though, you won't have much, if any, access to the undercrown of the piston, which is where you want the oil directed. If you're going to run the forged Boss pistons, then there's really no need for them. Running the squirters, all you'll be doing is creating parasitic windage losses; why do you think Ford omitted them?
I appreciate your input... Lol I have no idea why that's why I'm asking.
That does make sense though. Maybe I should leave it the way it is since the pistons are much stronger then the GT's anyway.

The seller just told me that I can have a set of valve springs so I can revv higher safer for $100. What do you think?

Thank You
Old 8/17/11, 12:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

1/4 mile in 11.1 seconds! Shifting @ 7700rpms with Boss intake,3.73,tune,Lt's..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dhMKU72a30
Old 8/17/11, 12:49 AM
Post *****

That's pretty wicked! Sounds to me like it revs hard all the way to redline. Even in 4th.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/17/11 at 12:52 AM.
Old 8/17/11, 12:52 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 627 Likes on 452 Posts
1/4 mile in 11.1 seconds! Shifting @ 7700rpms with Boss intake,3.73,tune,Lt's..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dhMKU72a30
The bigs & littles, the cold air (looks like late winter) and altitude (Maryland) had a lot to do with that run as well.
Old 8/17/11, 01:13 PM
V6 Member

****, I want to pull a wheel.
Old 8/17/11, 03:50 PM
FR500 Member

I appreciate your input... Lol I have no idea why that's why I'm asking.
That does make sense though. Maybe I should leave it the way it is since the pistons are much stronger then the GT's anyway.

The seller just told me that I can have a set of valve springs so I can revv higher safer for $100. What do you think?

Thank You
Revving higher can be limited by both the springs and the mass of the valves. The Boss valves are hollow to reduce weight.

The Boss springs are good to 8000 RPM and 13mm lift.

The Boss valves can be fitted, but the exhaust seats need to be enlarged on the stock GT head.
Intake
Exhaust
Old 8/17/11, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks

Revving higher can be limited by both the springs and the mass of the valves. The Boss valves are hollow to reduce weight.

The Boss springs are good to 8000 RPM and 13mm lift.

The Boss valves can be fitted, but the exhaust seats need to be enlarged on the stock GT head.
Intake
Exhaust
Ok thanks I appreciate it. So I should swap for these two parts and that's all I need? Do you think this would increase the cost of labor significantly or does one just drop these in?

Thanks.
Old 8/17/11, 05:04 PM
FR500 Member

Ok thanks I appreciate it. So I should swap for these two parts and that's all I need? Do you think this would increase the cost of labor significantly or does one just drop these in?

Thanks.
The valves will definitely add to the labor cost because of the valve seat mods. Changing the springs will be more straightforward since the heads are already off.

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0,lots of smoke cylinder 8 misfire.