Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2012 5.0,lots of smoke cylinder 8 misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/11 | 07:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by StangFreak
IMO this is what Ford should have put in the Mustang from day one! At least make it an option to have the forged motor, I would have no problem paying extra for it.

Are you listening Ford ?!
Their Not Listening!!! This is BS! Im using my Supercharger money as a
Downpayment on an '08 plus LS3 Vette....Ford KNOWS that 95% of folks buy Mustangs
To Mod them, they should Not have made a BS Glass Motor....
Old 8/1/11 | 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Turboba6
Downpayment on an '08 plus LS3 Vette....Ford KNOWS that 95% of folks buy Mustangs
The 5.0 can take supercharging all day long with no problems. It's not a Glass motor.
Old 8/1/11 | 09:14 AM
GT Member

I wonder if Bama would have covered this had it been their tune considering the transmission swap?
Old 8/1/11 | 09:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Turboba6
You should probably do more research, FI cars aren't having any issues due to the decreased timing.

the motor is not glass by any means.
Old 8/1/11 | 09:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Dang sorry to hear about your bad luck bro!!
Old 8/1/11 | 10:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here is what Brenspeed had to say

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=55
Old 8/1/11 | 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

Oil squirter failure... hmm first i hear of that one, but it would cause an issue with detonation and kill that cylinder..
Old 8/1/11 | 10:51 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
hey joe, can you copy/paste?

I don't have a membership there
Old 8/1/11 | 10:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

This is actually the 3rd customer who has contacted us about this issue. 3rd customer in the last year and of those 3 we have probably sent out atleast 500-600 2011 5.0 tunes. The first customer of ours who blew a number 8 the Ford engineer covered it under warranty due to an oil squirter failing, the second (who i believe is a member on here) broke a rod bearing (split in half) and the third customer is this customer who you are reading about and the car hasnt been to the dealer to diagnose the issue. We have also heard of long tube headers causing this issue as well, which i find it very hard to believe, but again there are no facts, just speculation. The funny thing is that everyone is blaming the tune, but this is an ongoing issue (according to our local ford dealer) on the FORD tech forums and there is a lot of finger pointing going on. You all are just hearing about cars with tunes having these #8 issues on forums, but if you look at the facts 90% of the 5.0 customers on forums have their cars modified and are running tunes. These issues are happening on FRPP tunes as well as 100% stock cars, so its very hard to place the blame on the tune. All of the cars that we have heard about having this issue have been EARLY production cars, but who's to say that has anything to do with it, because we dont know the facts and probably never will. We have been running our most aggressive Race tune (more aggressive than we send out to customers) on our 2011 test car for the last 16k miles (on 93 pump gas) and have raced it at nearly all NMRA events and definitely a LOT of spirited driving and abuse (naturally aspirated and with over 600rwhp to the wheels with a Vortech). We also have 2 other 2011-2012 in house test cars with ZERO issues as well. Ford's OEM calibration has parameters in place to protect the engine and we DO NOT remove these calibrations or alter the parameters. If anyone has any concerns or questions feel free to call me anytime. I can be reached directly at 574.594.9559 ext 3.

Thanks,
Chandler
Old 8/1/11 | 11:03 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
This is actually the 3rd customer who has contacted us about this issue. 3rd customer in the last year and of those 3 we have probably sent out atleast 500-600 2011 5.0 tunes. The first customer of ours who blew a number 8 the Ford engineer covered it under warranty due to an oil squirter failing, the second (who i believe is a member on here) broke a rod bearing (split in half) and the third customer is this customer who you are reading about and the car hasnt been to the dealer to diagnose the issue. We have also heard of long tube headers causing this issue as well, which i find it very hard to believe, but again there are no facts, just speculation. The funny thing is that everyone is blaming the tune, but this is an ongoing issue (according to our local ford dealer) on the FORD tech forums and there is a lot of finger pointing going on. You all are just hearing about cars with tunes having these #8 issues on forums, but if you look at the facts 90% of the 5.0 customers on forums have their cars modified and are running tunes. These issues are happening on FRPP tunes as well as 100% stock cars, so its very hard to place the blame on the tune. All of the cars that we have heard about having this issue have been EARLY production cars, but who's to say that has anything to do with it, because we dont know the facts and probably never will. We have been running our most aggressive Race tune (more aggressive than we send out to customers) on our 2011 test car for the last 16k miles (on 93 pump gas) and have raced it at nearly all NMRA events and definitely a LOT of spirited driving and abuse (naturally aspirated and with over 600rwhp to the wheels with a Vortech). We also have 2 other 2011-2012 in house test cars with ZERO issues as well. Ford's OEM calibration has parameters in place to protect the engine and we DO NOT remove these calibrations or alter the parameters. If anyone has any concerns or questions feel free to call me anytime. I can be reached directly at 574.594.9559 ext 3.

Thanks,
Chandler
Thanks Joe

It's hard to know who to believe.
Old 8/1/11 | 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

A lot of those guys over there are very quick to blame the tune but there could be a design flaw here. I mean seriously who in their right mind makes the ring spacing .006" - .010"? That's frighteningly close and one bit of extra heat will cause the land to break and voila, bye bye cylinder. And since #8 gets the hottest since FORD never fixed the age old issue of heat on the back of the drivers side head that dates back to the 4.6 DOHC motors, there we have the root of our issue.
Old 8/1/11 | 11:15 AM
Cobra Member

This is what happens sometimes when you mod cars.

Was it the tune? Possibly, but if the car was stock you would have no worries and Ford would repair it under warranty.

The simple fact is when you modify ANY car you are taking a chance the that modification will break something.

I don't care if it's a supercharger, cold air intake, tune, or even springs and shocks.

Once you remove that stock part and put on that aftermarket part then you take a chance that something will go wrong.

Vendors will never tell you this because that's their business and it would hurt business... understandable.

But just because A-Car could withstand x,y, and z doesn't me B-Car will be able to withstand the same conditions.

You can make an educated guess, but you never know.

The same holds for unmodified cars. Some break... some don't... it's all matters of circumstance... how the car was driven, how the maintenance was kept up, how the car was built at the factory.

The only difference is... when it's unmodified it's on Ford's dime (or whoever Chevy, Toyota, etc.) but when you mod it... it's on YOUR dime.

It would be great if vendors would offer warranties but sadly most don't... because they know, even though they won't tell you, that you are taking a chance.

I always read people ask what is "safe" for my car and a vendor will tell you, "Well (insert part, tune, etc) is TOTALLY safe because we've used it on 100 cars (or 200 or 400 or whatever) so you don't have a THING to worry about!"

Put simply... you want to be "safe" ? Don't mod your car... and when you do and something breaks don't expect the vendor to take the blame because even if they do (and I don't recall one time where one has) they probably aren't going to pay your bills unless you get an attorney involved.
Old 8/1/11 | 11:19 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Imatk

Was it the tune? Possibly, but if the car was stock you would have no worries and Ford would repair it under warranty.

The simple fact is when you modify ANY car you are taking a chance the that modification will break something.

I don't care if it's a supercharger, cold air intake, tune, or even springs and shocks.

Once you remove that stock part and put on that aftermarket part then you take a chance that something will go wrong.

Vendors will never tell you this because that's their business and it would hurt business... understandable.

But just because A-Car could withstand x,y, and z doesn't me B-Car will be able to withstand the same conditions.

The same holds for unmodified cars. Some break... some don't... it's all matters of circumstance... how the car was driven, how the maintenance was kept up, how the car was built at the factory.

The only difference is... when it's unmodified it's on Ford's dime (or whoever Chevy, Toyota, etc.) but when you mod it... it's on YOUR dime.

It would be great if vendors would offer warranties but sadly most don't... because they know, even though they won't tell you, that you are taking a chance.

I always read people ask what is "safe" for my car and a vendor will tell you, "Well (insert part, tune, etc) is TOTALLY safe because we've used it on 100 cars (or 200 or 400 or whatever) so you don't have a THING to worry about!"

Put simply... you want to be "safe" ? Don't mod your car... and when you do and something breaks don't expect the vendor to take the blame because even if they do (and I don't recall one time where one has) they probably aren't going to pay your bills unless you get an attorney involved.
This x 9,546,310.

Excellent post!
Old 8/1/11 | 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Imatk

This is a good point and it raises a lot of valid claims.

I understand the whole "pay to play" concept, but let me play devil's advocate here for a second. Ovbiously ford is placing the sole blame on the tunes, but since it is the SAME cylinder on EVERY car that has failed, raises the question of a design issue, that they definitely know about. What I want to see is if they will begin to stand behind the issue in the future when they discover that it is a flaw with the design. For all we know the tunes and other mods are merely accelerating something that will eventually happen on the bone stock card regardless. Either way if there's enough failures it's going to start opening eyes and it could eventually open ford up to some legal issues IF (and only IF) it can be proven that there is a design flaw playing a part here.

I wonder if we should have everyone with a tune on their 5.0 pull the #8 plug and see if that cylinder is running lean in comparison to other cyliners.
Old 8/1/11 | 12:11 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by BlackOut2k11

I understand the whole "pay to play" concept, but let me play devil's advocate here for a second. Ovbiously ford is placing the sole blame on the tunes, but since it is the SAME cylinder on EVERY car that has failed, raises the question of a design issue, that they definitely know about. What I want to see is if they will begin to stand behind the issue in the future when they discover that it is a flaw with the design. For all we know the tunes and other mods are merely accelerating something that will eventually happen on the bone stock card regardless. Either way if there's enough failures it's going to start opening eyes and it could eventually open ford up to some legal issues IF (and only IF) it can be proven that there is a design flaw playing a part here.

I wonder if we should have everyone with a tune on their 5.0 pull the #8 plug and see if that cylinder is running lean in comparison to other cyliners.
It's usually that cylinder that goes first beause that one is always the hottest, and that is just a normal design of the engine
Old 8/1/11 | 12:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Its crazy though how many people beat the snot out of their cars when it is 90-100 degrees out and humid. I bet a lot has to do with it.
Old 8/1/11 | 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I personally baby my car in hot weather, maybe thats why I don't have any issues. But then again I've also personally datalogged my car with the Steeda tune and never recorded any knock events etc... so I'm fairly confident that I'm safe.
Old 8/1/11 | 12:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm no lawyer but did own 2 E46 that were part of a class action ending in favor of owners. Only problem was the cars were 7-10 years old by the time it settled and almost NOONE qualified for the no modification settlement void.
Old 8/1/11 | 12:59 PM
Post *****

Proof is in the "Old School" pudding.

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
It's usually that cylinder that goes first beause that one is always the hottest, and that is just a normal design of the engine
Why doesn't #4 fail also? Its a back hole too.
Old 8/1/11 | 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Why doesn't #4 fail also? Its a back hole too.
It has something to do with the way the coolant flows. The 4.6 DOHC had the same issue with the #8 hole getting hot. It never resulted in this failure however because the 4.6 is much lower compression and the ring spacing is larger, so the lands are less likely to break.

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0,lots of smoke cylinder 8 misfire.