Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

WRITE UP - Bluetooth and Handsfree Phone + switched Console 12v

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/14, 11:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll keep you guys updated. I'll try without installing the faceplate with the Sirius button and see if it works first.

TJ,

I think Grom needs to start paying you commission for the business you're bringing them (and tech support). Lol
The following users liked this post:
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 12/19/14, 12:00 PM

Oh yeah, Grom said that cycling through aux MIGHT work, but it's doubtful.
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 12/19/14, 02:10 PM
Fms

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, that is doubtful... But... I think cycling thru the "music note" button on the wheel will work... Another reply from Grom.....

Dear Rory,

Yes I think it will work with your stereo by pressing the AUX button.

I imagine it's going to work, but figuring out the button to push will be the thing to figure out... I Ordered mine but prob will not see till after Christmas... Keep us informed on how it goes...
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 12/19/14, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Fms
Grom replied:
Dear Rory,

Does your vehicle have a CAT button at the least?

You most likely will pres the AUX button until you reach SR1/SR2/SR3 which is Sirius and this will be the GROM mode.
i dont believe the aux button will get you over to Satellite, even pressing cat.

I'll try it, but in our cars its not SR1 2 or 3 its SAT1 Sat2 Sat3
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 12/19/14, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bceeezy
Oh yeah, Grom said that cycling through aux MIGHT work, but it's doubtful.
changing settings thru steering wheel controls wont get you to satellite (atleast i dont think it does) i think it cycles thru fm1 and 2, CD, AUX, and AM and thats it
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 12/20/14, 01:48 AM
Fms

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the way the factory retrofit works for Sirius , if you have the Mute button. Music note will bring it up. Guess we will have to see..
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 12/27/14, 02:02 AM

Just got around to installing! The music note doesn't get to SAT. You will need to get the faceplate with Sirius so you can cycle through. Other than that, easy install and it works great!
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 12/27/14, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome! Glad that worked. As soon as I finish paying for Christmas I'll be doing this same project. I won't need bluetooth but if I can add a usb slot to my stock non-sync stereo, that should be good enough for me.
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 12/29/14, 08:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Just got around to installing! The music note doesn't get to SAT. You will need to get the faceplate with Sirius so you can cycle through. Other than that, easy install and it works great!
so you swapped to the base model faceplate headunit that has the sirius button and it worked just fine?

if so, that is GREAT news! Do your steering wheel controls work as they previously did? (for radio and volume, not grom)
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 12/29/14, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
so you swapped to the base model faceplate headunit that has the sirius button and it worked just fine?

if so, that is GREAT news! Do your steering wheel controls work as they previously did? (for radio and volume, not grom)
Yep, that's all it took and all of the buttons still work perfectly!
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 1/15/15, 09:46 AM

Anybody who is experiencing bad call quality...install firmware version 26. Since I've had the grom unit, people have complained about not being able to hear me (distorted and staticky). After upgrading, I can talk with the window down on local roads and people seem to hear me just fine.
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 1/15/15, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

AWESOME! I wasnt having bad call quality, unless i was actually moving... but if i was sitting in my car at a light or in my driveway or whatever it came in clear and no one had trouble hearing me, but as soon as i was driving people said it had too much wind noise or something. so with that said, ive been planning to take some time to change my mic setup and ordered a new domelight that has a mic built into it.

This one here actually, and I will retro fit my mic into that and replace the ford mic with my mic.

rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 1/15/15, 02:28 PM

AWESOME! I wasnt having bad call quality, unless i was actually moving... but if i was sitting in my car at a light or in my driveway or whatever it came in clear and no one had trouble hearing me, but as soon as i was driving people said it had too much wind noise or something. so with that said, ive been planning to take some time to change my mic setup and ordered a new domelight that has a mic built into it.

This one here actually, and I will retro fit my mic into that and replace the ford mic with my mic.

That was my exact problem too! So I had the mic mounted sticking out of the dome light housing but switched it to on the steering column. After the update though, I'll probably put it back up there. That new domelight looks awesome! Where did you get it from?
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 1/15/15, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

That was my exact problem too! So I had the mic mounted sticking out of the dome light housing but switched it to on the steering column. After the update though, I'll probably put it back up there. That new domelight looks awesome! Where did you get it from?
that dome light came from ebay, i was reading that ford had so much trouble with the mic in the mirror that they made that revision to the domelight and used a mic similar to the headliner f150 mic.

i might not even need it now with this new firmware but i think ill still plan to set it up.
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 1/15/15, 03:12 PM

that dome light came from ebay, i was reading that ford had so much trouble with the mic in the mirror that they made that revision to the domelight and used a mic similar to the headliner f150 mic.

i might not even need it now with this new firmware but i think ill still plan to set it up.
Hopefully it works for you!

I would still follow through with that dome light housing...it looks nice and clean. I'm probably gonna grab one off eBay when I get home too lol.
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 1/15/15, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Hopefully it works for you!

I would still follow through with that dome light housing...it looks nice and clean. I'm probably gonna grab one off eBay when I get home too lol.

so my old setup that i think looked great may have worked just fine with the firmware update but i have no idea. I went ahead and updated the firmware, put the mic in the new housing which was VERY easy to do.

went for a drive around the neighborhood and called my google voice mail and left a long 3 minute rambling conversation with myself and it all sounded pretty good, not as close as id like for it to sound, it basically sounds like im on speaker which is okay but atleast its pretty clear.

i'll try again when i drive on the highway tonight and call someone.
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 1/16/15, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

update to the mic relocation in map light.

didnt work so well, at low speeds it was great, at 40+ its awful, sound very far away.

I need to figure out how to get the ford sync mic to work, 3 wires on it.... i want to figure out if its powered or what because that would be awesome.
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 1/16/15, 11:47 AM

****. I'll try putting it up on the dome light one more time and if it still doesnt work well then I'll mount it back on the steering column. Thanks for the update!
rpoppertdomi (10/1/16)
Old 9/27/16, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been awhile - are you still happy with this system?
I put off getting rid of the parrot BT however with the latest iPhone OS upgrade it no longer connects to it.
The Grom still the way to go?
Thx
Old 9/27/16, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tezz
It's been awhile - are you still happy with this system?
I put off getting rid of the parrot BT however with the latest iPhone OS upgrade it no longer connects to it.
The Grom still the way to go?
Thx

I was happy with it while i used it, however i decided to completely change everything to an Alpine ILX-007 with Apple Carplay. While I love my new setup, i want to sell and upgrade to the alpine x009u which is a 9inch indash, which also means I have to build a new bezel again...

tezz (9/29/16)