Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Upcoming Audio Build - Detailed w/Pics and Data

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/13, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laserred38
I can't recall, but I want to say they cut the whole backing out. I wasn't present when they worked on a Roush that had them installed. So essentially, you'd only be using the factory mounting ring to the door. You could always start with a small hole (port) and test, then cut more material?...
The enclosure back runs along the entire bottom of the door panel (back behind the map pocket). I'll start by cuttting the box directly behind the speaker itself and see how that does. Maybe I'll look into porting the box into the cabin via that map pocket.....hmmm.......
Old 7/16/13, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

WooHoo!!! I just won an auction for an AudioControl SA-3051 Spectrum Analyzer! Can't wait to get it in and properly set up my system!

BOOM!

Old 7/16/13, 05:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Old 7/17/13, 06:47 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just checked the iDatalink page on Facebook and saw some feedback there - shipping date for the dash kit is "August". Definitely interested in the kit.

And - ColSaulTigh - awesome build. I may copy some/all of it.
Old 7/17/13, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GreatOz
I just checked the iDatalink page on Facebook and saw some feedback there - shipping date for the dash kit is "August". Definitely interested in the kit.

And - ColSaulTigh - awesome build. I may copy some/all of it.
Thanks!

Still tweaking it - I need to cut the back out of the door enclosures and tune the system once my SA/RTA gets here, and replace the faceplate with the iDataLink one once it's available.
Old 7/19/13, 10:01 AM
GT Member

Nice system and install. I went with the 5-1/4 version of the Alpine x series and love them Although I cheaped out and used Dayton Audio RS225-4 in the 8" location for mid base, but I'm satisfied with their performance. I really like what you did with the tweeters. I've just got mine on a plate with the 5-1/4 drivers in the stock front location. I would prefer them to be more on axis like yours are. As for tuning and crossovers I pressed the easy button and used a JBL MS-8.
Old 7/20/13, 12:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by linelock
Nice system and install. I went with the 5-1/4 version of the Alpine x series and love them Although I cheaped out and used Dayton Audio RS225-4 in the 8" location for mid base, but I'm satisfied with their performance. I really like what you did with the tweeters. I've just got mine on a plate with the 5-1/4 drivers in the stock front location. I would prefer them to be more on axis like yours are. As for tuning and crossovers I pressed the easy button and used a JBL MS-8.
Still sounds like a good setup. Wish I could try it out!
Old 7/27/13, 03:35 PM

Wondering if I could pick your brain with some issues.

I had the DNN990 recently installed into 2014 Ford Mustang w Shaker1000:
DNN990HD
Metra Dash Kit
iDatalink Maestro RR

Whenever the unit is on, I experience a serious "hissing" noise. Its still present when using SiriusXM and HD Radio. Any fixes for this? I was told that the Maestro or the HU is "amplifying the silence" by the installer.

Further, the iPhone never links up w the wifi automatically and neither the email nor Facebook functions work.

I am not anything close to an expert as far as installing or modifying the equipment, but i could probably figure out a software fix.

Have you experienced any of these issues?

Thanks so much ahead of time for any help!
Old 7/27/13, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fatalgrace
Wondering if I could pick your brain with some issues.

I had the DNN990 recently installed into 2014 Ford Mustang w Shaker1000:
DNN990HD
Metra Dash Kit
iDatalink Maestro RR

Whenever the unit is on, I experience a serious "hissing" noise. Its still present when using SiriusXM and HD Radio. Any fixes for this? I was told that the Maestro or the HU is "amplifying the silence" by the installer.
Ok, I had this issue too. The problem is using speaker-level out from the DNN990HD into the Maestro (via the wiring harness), then out to the factory amps for the Shaker system. The problem goes away when you take those amplifiers out of the equation. If you disconnect power from the Maestro, the hiss goes away, but then so does all of the interface functions. I don't think there's a workaround other than bypassing the Shaker's amps. Did you do this install yourself or have a shop do it? If a shop did it, a decent amp and wiring shouldn't cost you more than $500 total. That should resolve your hiss issue.

Further, the iPhone never links up w the wifi automatically and neither the email nor Facebook functions work.

I am not anything close to an expert as far as installing or modifying the equipment, but i could probably figure out a software fix.

Have you experienced any of these issues?

Thanks so much ahead of time for any help!
Assuming you're using the iPhone as a Hotspot, right? If so, it should work just fine. Just make sure there aren't any other WiFi hotspots connected (like your home WiFi). The system will ALWAYS choose the strongest signal it finds FIRST, but if you are turning your phone's hotspot on AFTER you turn on the radio, it may be picking up your home's WiFi. Once it has a signal, it won't drop it until it's out of range, then it hunts for the next strongest signal (which would then be your phone). To avoid this issue, either go into the system and FORGET your home's WiFi, or be sure to turn on your iPhone hotspot BEFORE you start the car/turn on the radio.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions - I'm here to help.
Old 7/28/13, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh

Ok, I had this issue too. The problem is using speaker-level out from the DNN990HD into the Maestro (via the wiring harness), then out to the factory amps for the Shaker system. The problem goes away when you take those amplifiers out of the equation. If you disconnect power from the Maestro, the hiss goes away, but then so does all of the interface functions. I don't think there's a workaround other than bypassing the Shaker's amps. Did you do this install yourself or have a shop do it? If a shop did it, a decent amp and wiring shouldn't cost you more than $500 total. That should resolve your hiss issue.

Assuming you're using the iPhone as a Hotspot, right? If so, it should work just fine. Just make sure there aren't any other WiFi hotspots connected (like your home WiFi). The system will ALWAYS choose the strongest signal it finds FIRST, but if you are turning your phone's hotspot on AFTER you turn on the radio, it may be picking up your home's WiFi. Once it has a signal, it won't drop it until it's out of range, then it hunts for the next strongest signal (which would then be your phone). To avoid this issue, either go into the system and FORGET your home's WiFi, or be sure to turn on your iPhone hotspot BEFORE you start the car/turn on the radio.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions - I'm here to help.
Thanks SO much for your informative reply.

After dropping so much on the install and equipment I think I'll just live with the hiss for now.

In regards to this, I wonder if this issue will be resolved when the new Maestro dash kit comes out. According to the maestro rep, a lot of things will be fixed with this upgrade including the lack of climate control, which currently goes through my Metra dash kit.

In reference to the wifi issue, the iPhone does connect but I have to turn the hotspot function on and off to cycle it before it will connect. It connects to any other freestanding router i.e. "home" but not the iPhone. I suppose I'll live with this as well, as I have the requisite 14 hour boot time for the DNN to start up anyhow.

This device is fantastic, however it is certainly unrefined. Lots of potential for streamlining its functions. I've been reticent to install the flash updates because I've heard they cause problems as well. Have you downloaded and flashed it yet? Love to know how it went and the results you experienced.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 7/28/13, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks SO much for your informative reply.

After dropping so much on the install and equipment I think I'll just live with the hiss for now.

In regards to this, I wonder if this issue will be resolved when the new Maestro dash kit comes out. According to the maestro rep, a lot of things will be fixed with this upgrade including the lack of climate control, which currently goes through my Metra dash kit.

In reference to the wifi issue, the iPhone does connect but I have to turn the hotspot function on and off to cycle it before it will connect. It connects to any other freestanding router i.e. "home" but not the iPhone. I suppose I'll live with this as well, as I have the requisite 14 hour boot time for the DNN to start up anyhow.

This device is fantastic, however it is certainly unrefined. Lots of potential for streamlining its functions. I've been reticent to install the flash updates because I've heard they cause problems as well. Have you downloaded and flashed it yet? Love to know how it went and the results you experienced.

Thanks again for your help.
I plan on getting the Metra dash kit the INSTANT it's available as well. The main reason is because I like the pocket and the up-front USB ports. It just LOOKS more OEM (IMHO).

As for the hiss - it's really only noticeable during quiet moments - just turn the radio up! I agree though - it's really a pretty bad flaw and one that deserves to be reviewed.

As for the updates - go ahead and do them - I'm on the most recent firmwares (found HERE). Don't forget to update the Bluetooth also -it's a big help. Most people with problems with firmware updates either didn't do them correctly, or didn't do them completely (like doing the system firmware and NOT the Bluetooth firmware, etc.). Remember, most people vocalize their problems, few vocalize their successes. Also, rather than contact customer support, they'd rather rant.

FWIW, I played with the wallpaper feature too - it's kinda cool, especially if you like customizing the radio to look more OEM.

The WiFi issue is puzzling - have you tried a different (non-Apple) device and see how it reacts? It might be a "feature" of the Apple device and not the Kenwood.

As an aside, I took the AudioControl SA-3051 SPL/RTA meter to the car today - WOW, what a difference 1/2 hour of tweaking does!!! It's been so long since I've done a system setup I'd forgotten basic crossover rules. I must be going senile (Mr. Saavik, you go right on quoting regulations!). I spent last night burning a test CD (mostly Pink/White/Brown noise and specific Sine wave tones), and wound up only using Pink noise. Once I got the line relatively flat, a little internal tweaking was all it needed. I may put an EQ in line eventually, but I can manage most of what I need from the crossovers and the head unit.

Laserred, btw, the JL ZR800's work fine in the enclosed housing - no opening/porting needed. My problem was that I had them crossed over too low. I upped them to 80hz (from 50hz) and now they really sing! You are right about the 13w3 though - it's gotta go. It's just too sloppy for my tastes - needs some more tightness to it. That'll be next month or two - first I need to do some sound deadening to remove some of the rattle & buzz (primarily from the doors).

Speaking of test CD's, I think I'll start compiling a list of music I use to demo my system with. Anyone have any really good suggestions?

Anyway, it's too hot outside to spend much time out there - yesterday was the Mid-Florida Mustang Club run up to the "Big Daddy" Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing. If you are ever in Central Florida, take a couple of hours and stop in - really neat stuff. The classic/muscle car museum is especially interesting! Well, I'm gonna go relax for a bit. Tonight I'm off to meet up with some of the "Untouchable Mustang" guys for some BBQ and chit-chat!
Old 7/28/13, 10:47 AM

Gotcha. When you did your update did you leave the files in their respective folders or did you extract them all out of the folder on the USB drive?
Old 7/28/13, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Gotcha. When you did your update did you leave the files in their respective folders or did you extract them all out of the folder on the USB drive?
I followed the instructions in the .pdf on the update page:

Creating the Update Media
Create the update media on your PC
1. Download the Updates from the Web site
2. Decompress the downloaded file
3. Copy the decompressed file to the top of hierarchy in USB memory.

- You can also copy the updater to a device containing audio files and update the firmware from it.
- Update cannot be performed if it is copied inside a folder.
- If the updater file name is changed, update cannot be performed.
Old 7/29/13, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Good good info. I called IData Link directly and grilled a tech on when the face plate would be released. He finally broke and said that plate was still in tooling,but was coming in August. He half committed to August 1st, but then said as a tech he could not say August 1st. He did reassure it would be worth the wait.

So I have just a little longer before I begin.
Old 7/29/13, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

^^ thanks for the update, hopefully it comes out in the next week or two
Old 8/4/13, 10:32 PM

Great thread! Loved reading it all. Also big +1 referencing junkman. Everything i know is from him.
Old 8/5/13, 06:43 AM

So is the maestro dash kit out yet?? Any news?
Old 8/5/13, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

So is the maestro dash kit out yet?? Any news?
Not out yet - last I heard, it might be pushed into September (which means, it'll most likely be Sept. or Oct. before it's out).

Patience is a virtue, I guess....

On a side note, I ordered 40^2 of Audio Technix 80mil Sound Deadener

They are having a blowout special - $104 SHIPPED! Should be here some time this week. Unboxing and install pics to follow.
Old 8/5/13, 07:52 PM

Anyone using the DNN having problems with the garmin not saving stored addresses? Like Home location?
Old 8/6/13, 06:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone using the DNN having problems with the garmin not saving stored addresses? Like Home location?
No issue with it storing my Home address. I haven't tried saving any others though, so I'm not sure. I'll play with it next time and let you know.

Quick Reply: Upcoming Audio Build - Detailed w/Pics and Data