Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Sync update v.3.2.2

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/11, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
MustangGTPilot -

LLZub is correct. In order for this feature to work your phone must support MAP. This Bluetooth standard developed for the exchange of text messages allows many phones to more successfully interact with SYNC for reading and displaying text messages. We continue to be hopeful that the iPhone will eventually be among that list.

For more info on MAP, check out:

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=35451

LLZuB -

Thank you for your support and understanding.

Jaclyn
Is it possible that my phone is only "somewhat" MAP compatible? I can receive text messages just fine but always just get an error if I try to reply using the canned messages...

Thanks!
Old 10/28/11, 08:08 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jaybertx
Is it possible that my phone is only "somewhat" MAP compatible? I can receive text messages just fine but always just get an error if I try to reply using the canned messages...
Thanks!
That is a definite possibility. We have found that some phones are 50/50.
Certain phones will allow you to have you messages read, but not send canned messages. Others will do just the opposite. It's all based upon the Bluetooth profile within the phone.

Jaclyn
Old 10/28/11, 09:27 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody know if there is a way to add the bluetooth MAP to a phone? My HTC EVO does not have MAP standard. I'm wondering if there is an app or root I can do to add it in...
Old 10/28/11, 10:24 AM
GTR Member

How are you able to find out if your phone has a MAP standard? I thought it was part of the BT stack.
Old 10/28/11, 10:45 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Overboost
How are you able to find out if your phone has a MAP standard? I thought it was part of the BT stack.
On syncmyride.com should have a list of compatible phones as well as the supported features
Old 10/28/11, 12:49 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I googled it Steve. It seems there are numerous bluetooth profiles and not every phone has MAP.

I'll put a little more research into later, but it looks like I'm screwed for now. And it's not really a Ford issue it's the cell phone manufacturers...
Old 10/28/11, 12:58 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I googled it Steve. It seems there are numerous bluetooth profiles and not every phone has MAP.

I'll put a little more research into later, but it looks like I'm screwed for now. And it's not really a Ford issue it's the cell phone manufacturers...
I'll have to look as well. I have the Evo 3D right now and I suspect its the same as the Evo 4G.
Old 10/28/11, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ EVO 3D has it for sure, I don't think the 4G does

this may help you guys out if your tech savy with android:

http://i-miss-erin.blogspot.com/2011...s-profile.html

Last edited by LLZuB; 10/28/11 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10/28/11, 01:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Evo3d as well. It has MAP I believe, but you have to turn it on. I turned it on but the text thing still isn't working. I guess I need to figure out how to do the SYNC update. This is all very confusing.
Old 10/28/11, 01:58 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I'll have to look as well. I have the Evo 3D right now and I suspect its the same as the Evo 4G.
Steve I looked it up. Sounds promising for your EVO 3D. I found this for ya...

On the Phone (Evo 3D )
1: From the home screen, hit Menu, then Settings
2: Select Wireless & networks
3: Ensure Bluetooth is on (box checked)
4: Select Bluetooth Settings
5: Select Advanced Settings
6: Ensure Message Access service is on (box checked)
7: Select Message access settings
8: Check the box for SMS
Old 10/28/11, 02:22 PM
GTR Member

Thanks Jason. I checked mine and MAP is enabled on it. I still don't have the ability to do anything via the current Sync, but at least I know it's enabled. I was trying to get my BT to forward to my TouchPad recently, and noticed it would, but any messages I replied to via the TP were showing as an error, but sending anyway.

The info you posted might work for anyone using Android 2.3.
Old 10/28/11, 02:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Steve I looked it up. Sounds promising for your EVO 3D. I found this for ya...

On the Phone (Evo 3D )
1: From the home screen, hit Menu, then Settings
2: Select Wireless & networks
3: Ensure Bluetooth is on (box checked)
4: Select Bluetooth Settings
5: Select Advanced Settings
6: Ensure Message Access service is on (box checked)
7: Select Message access settings
8: Check the box for SMS
I thought it would work for me since my phone is similar - HTC Thunderbolt, but no dice. I think it may only be in Android 2.3.
Old 10/28/11, 03:31 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Thanks Jason. I checked mine and MAP is enabled on it. I still don't have the ability to do anything via the current Sync, but at least I know it's enabled. I was trying to get my BT to forward to my TouchPad recently, and noticed it would, but any messages I replied to via the TP were showing as an error, but sending anyway.

The info you posted might work for anyone using Android 2.3.
Originally Posted by Hytek
I thought it would work for me since my phone is similar - HTC Thunderbolt, but no dice. I think it may only be in Android 2.3.
Dang!

I wanna see this work for somebody. I think it's a great feature and one I needed desperately a few weeks back.
Old 10/28/11, 04:15 PM
Cobra R Member

My 2011 'vert would not read my texts to me when using my LG enV3, but my 2012 coupe did! It was so cool!

Then I jumped on the expensive iPhone4S bandwagon. Was SO excited to get my phone, until I tried to get Sync to read me a text and it simply said "Unsupported function". Inconsiderate bastards.

In reading this thread the same theme struck me as I've seen in the workplace everywhere I've worked: The tail wagging the dog. Instead of IT supporting the business and providing what the business needs (or would like to do), it's IT that is driving the business by telling the business what IT will & won't do, therefore effectively telling the business what it can & cannot do. In the sync situation, it's IT (whether Ford or Apple or whoever) telling the customer what kind of phone they have to use, instead of responding to provide the service/features the customer wants/needs.
Old 10/29/11, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
In the sync situation, it's IT (whether Ford or Apple or whoever) telling the customer what kind of phone they have to use, instead of responding to provide the service/features the customer wants/needs.
I disagree with you here. This is the typical Apple "we'll do what we want to do and you'll still be in love with our product" mentality.

It took them several phone iterations just to provide MMS. There is no Flash for iOS. Is Flash a dying technology? Sure. HTML5 will probably kill it off once and for all. In 2-3 years. So why does Apple not support Flash? Because they don't want to. Period. And in the end, people are so mystified by that Apple with the bite taken out of it that they'll buy the product anyway and jump on the "Flash it out!" bandwagon. That being said, I have an iPad, an HTC Flyer and Motorola Photon. I'm an equal opportunity mobile device junkie.

You described terrible, "empire building" IT. I pride myself on providing the business with what it needs AND offering the business things that I think will be useful that it might not otherwise know about. If something is "forced down the businesses throat" it is generally not a function of my IT but a function of upper management having an ulterior motive.

Oh yeah, Sync RULES!
Old 10/29/11, 10:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jaybertx

I disagree with you here. This is the typical Apple "we'll do what we want to do and you'll still be in love with our product" mentality.

It took them several phone iterations just to provide MMS. There is no Flash for iOS. Is Flash a dying technology? Sure. HTML5 will probably kill it off once and for all. In 2-3 years. So why does Apple not support Flash? Because they don't want to. Period. And in the end, people are so mystified by that Apple with the bite taken out of it that they'll buy the product anyway and jump on the "Flash it out!" bandwagon. That being said, I have an iPad, an HTC Flyer and Motorola Photon. I'm an equal opportunity mobile device junkie.

You described terrible, "empire building" IT. I pride myself on providing the business with what it needs AND offering the business things that I think will be useful that it might not otherwise know about. If something is "forced down the businesses throat" it is generally not a function of my IT but a function of upper management having an ulterior motive.

Oh yeah, Sync RULES!
Good points sir. My love for my apple Mac stems from the human factors integrated into it. I can see how there r likely "boardroom deals" (or less sinister deals) that made or prevented flash from a given O. S.
Old 10/29/11, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Good points sir. My love for my apple Mac stems from the human factors integrated into it. I can see how there r likely "boardroom deals" (or less sinister deals) that made or prevented flash from a given O. S.
In this case, it's all Steve Jobs. I'm guessing it won't change with his passing due to them considering Steve's wishes but it's sad. I love the iPad but I still have to keep my laptop around for Flash content...

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
Old 10/29/11, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

While it was "cool" that my Windows Phone with the Mango update was able to have sync read out and let me reply to SMS messages, I can easily live without it. I am not in that big a rush to read/hear them.

I love the Sync system for all the other things it does.
Old 10/29/11, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by R3troGT
While it was "cool" that my Windows Phone with the Mango update was able to have sync read out and let me reply to SMS messages, I can easily live without it. I am not in that big a rush to read/hear them.

I love the Sync system for all the other things it does.
Good to hear that Microsoft's phone is finally fully compatible with Microsoft's sync system. The fact that WP7 was initially certified with "Basic" compatibility with Sync should have been embarrassing to the WP7 team. Truly.
Old 10/30/11, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
An update is coming for 3.1 users! I don't have an ETA for this, but when I hear something I will post to let everyone know. In the meantime continue to check SyncMyRide for update details.
Will look forward to this update! Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Sync update v.3.2.2