Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Got my new "Flip Key" set up tonight

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/23, 11:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
A Link to What You Are Purchasing and a Pic of Both Style Keys Would Be Helpful to Diagnose Further.

Try a Cold Key When it Won't Start Then Simply Hold Oem Key Next to Flip Key & Try To Start with Flip Key. If It Starts Than a Chip Implant Should Work. Matter of Finding Space & Digging Out Chip. This was Easy to Do on the Older Spade Type Keys. You Likely Have IKT Style. Might Be a Bit More Work.

On a Side Note I remember Back in the Day They Would add a Hokey Dokie Pro Key Device at the Dealership. Part of the Install was Taking Chip out of old Key & Gluing inside Column Shroud. So They Defeated the Factory Pats Key By Always Having a Chip in the Vehicle. Some of The FLEET Vehicles would do this as well So They Could Use a Standard old Style Key.

Also you are Aware once two Pats Keys are Programmed to a Vehicle you Can Add New Keys & Program Yourself??

KC
I got the keys off eBay and here is the picture of the two different style keys that I purchased.

I try per your suggestion. I left the key out in the cold and then try with the OEM warm key next to each other...it will not start. Removed the aftermarket cold key out of the ignition and try the OEM key and yep it started. It seems that the aftermarket keys are junk in cold weather, but I am surprised that I put the OEM warm key next to the aftermarket cold key and it wouldn't start.

Yes thanks, I am aware that I can program more than one key if I have two working keys. So far I have 4 keys, one OEM key and three aftermarket keys. The other two keys were lost by the previous owner. My gauge dash says I have 6 keys in total, and I believe the maximum number of keys we can do is 8.

The (one) OEM key I have now is all busted up from the previous owner and I will need to find a new shell case to transfer the busted-up chip and circuit board key to the new shell case.

Last edited by scottwrightF1; 2/4/23 at 11:40 AM.
Old 2/4/23, 12:42 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
What Year Car Exactly do you Have and Do You Know What Year The Flip Keys & Model Car They were Originally for? I don't Have the Oem Cataloging Available to Me Anymore So Research is Hampered.

Just a Thought The Lolipop Key is a Lot Less Bulky and Could be Carried Along a Lot Easier that the Broken IKT Style you are Currently Carrying as Backup. It could Be Used During the Cold Issues. Not Solve Issue But a Work Around Option.

My 3:00 in The Morning Brainstorm !

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 2/5/23 at 04:31 AM.
Old 2/5/23, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
What Year Car Exactly do you Have and Do You Know What Year The Flip Keys & Model Car They were Originally for? I don't Have the Oem Cataloging Available to Me Anymore So Research is Hampered.

Just a Thought The Lolipop Key is a Lot Less Bulky and Could be Carried Along a Lot Easier that the Broken IKT Style you are Currently Carrying as Backup. It could Be Used During the Cold Issues. Not Solve Issue But a Work Around Option.

My 3:00 in The Morning Brainstorm !

KC

My car is a 2014 and the keys I got on eBay were for 2011 to 2014. I have had the aftermarket key since 2018 and didn't have any problems till this cold weather now. I brought another two more aftermarket keys (2011-2014) in Dec 2022 and still have problems in the cold.

Yeah, I thought about that Lolipop key to carry around without the buttons. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 2/5/23, 01:46 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by scottwrightF1
My car is a 2014 and the keys I got on eBay were for 2011 to 2014. I have had the aftermarket key since 2018 and didn't have any problems till this cold weather now. I brought another two more aftermarket keys (2011-2014) in Dec 2022 and still have problems in the cold.

Yeah, I thought about that Lolipop key to carry around without the buttons. Thanks for the suggestion.
I think your Original Thought of a Weak Chip Seems to Make the Most Sense. It Simply is Not Reliable in Extreme Cold. The odd thing is Two Different Styles did the same thing. Probably use Same Chip Supplier! I wish I could have Been More Help.

Here in California it Does Not Get That Cold So I never Heard any Feedback on that issue from any Dealership Service Department I worked with. If I come up with Anything I will Post. In the meantime if anybody else has some Thoughts Please Chime in!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 2/5/23 at 01:47 PM.
Old 2/11/23, 10:10 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by scottwrightF1
I got the keys off eBay and here is the picture of the two different style keys that I purchased.

I try per your suggestion. I left the key out in the cold and then try with the OEM warm key next to each other...it will not start. Removed the aftermarket cold key out of the ignition and try the OEM key and yep it started. It seems that the aftermarket keys are junk in cold weather, but I am surprised that I put the OEM warm key next to the aftermarket cold key and it wouldn't start.
Just wondering have you tried to swap to a new battery? I know cold can play issues with the battery strength so it may not necessarily be a weak chip... Just a thought.
Old 2/13/23, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Just wondering have you tried to swap to a new battery? I know cold can play issues with the battery strength so it may not necessarily be a weak chip... Just a thought.
See post #197, I mentioned the battery being replaced.

Yes, I did replace the battery on all three aftermarket keys, but not the OEM key and it did not make any difference. I don't think the battery has anything to do with the car trying to start it in the ignition. I think you can use a Lolipop key without any buttons on it which has no battery in it and there would be a chip inside the Lolipop key, so you can start the car. It is just the chip in the key that is the issue I believe, but I could be wrong. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
shaneyusa (2/20/23)