Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Got my new "Flip Key" set up tonight

Old 8/23/16, 06:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Paten
Received my new flip key from the auction listed above. I have to say that this is the flip key I wanted from the beginning. Had it cut this morning and programmed it right after. Works just as well as my other flip key. If you have $40 burning a hole in your pocket, then this key is the one to get.

I had to take the key apart so the guy could cut it but it was pretty easy to do. If you pay attention to how you took it apart, it's easy to put it back together.
How fr away does this work? Looks like the key I have been waiting for.
Old 8/23/16, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what the range is and I'm terrible at gauging distances. I parked at the grocery store and walked about 50 paces and into the store and locked the doors from there. Hope that helps.
Old 8/23/16, 01:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting find. Almost looks like the Fusion/F150 flip key, but the button orientation is different, and the case molding has the round emblem rather than the oval emblem. The slot in that one for the side mill key was too narrow to accept the key blade needed for the '14 and earlier cars.
Old 8/25/16, 06:13 AM
Mek
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got mine set up a couple of weeks ago but just received my decals for the back on Monday. Works great.
Received my new flip key from the auction listed above. I have to say that this is the flip key I wanted from the beginning. Had it cut this morning and programmed it right after. Works just as well as my other flip key. If you have $40 burning a hole in your pocket, then this key is the one to get.

I had to take the key apart so the guy could cut it but it was pretty easy to do. If you pay attention to how you took it apart, it's easy to put it back together.
I was going to order the old style, but was waiting for some input on this new "GT" style. I see that you have both styles, how does the quality of the new one compare to the old? You say you had to take it apart to get the key cut, how does it come apart, screws, snap together, ?
Old 8/25/16, 07:01 AM

So far I like the quality of the new style flip key a lot. It seems very solid and well put together. Also it doesn't seem like I have to do as slow a double press to open the passenger door or the trunk compared to my old flip key.

To take it apart, I opened the blade and just pried the two halves apart using my thumbs in the channel for the folded key. Then you can see the small screw that holds the top part together. Be careful not to lose any parts when taking the top apart and releasing the spring tension. Once you take the top apart to have the key cut, when you put it back together you have to remember to wind the top cover on the spring to get the tension back for the switch to open. Then the two halves just snap back together.

You can find videos on youtube for other flip keys to see how to reassemble the top to get the spring tension set.

So far the only issue I've been having is when I am standing next to a desk or table at just the right height, if the key is facing out in my pocket and I lean against the table, the buttons are depressed when they meet the edge of the table and I can hear the panic alarm go off right outside.
Old 8/25/16, 08:00 AM
Mek
Legacy TMS Member

So far I like the quality of the new style flip key a lot. It seems very solid and well put together. Also it doesn't seem like I have to do as slow a double press to open the passenger door or the trunk compared to my old flip key.

To take it apart, I opened the blade and just pried the two halves apart using my thumbs in the channel for the folded key. Then you can see the small screw that holds the top part together. Be careful not to lose any parts when taking the top apart and releasing the spring tension. Once you take the top apart to have the key cut, when you put it back together you have to remember to wind the top cover on the spring to get the tension back for the switch to open. Then the two halves just snap back together.

You can find videos on youtube for other flip keys to see how to reassemble the top to get the spring tension set.

So far the only issue I've been having is when I am standing next to a desk or table at just the right height, if the key is facing out in my pocket and I lean against the table, the buttons are depressed when they meet the edge of the table and I can hear the panic alarm go off right outside.
Thanks, also, I forgot to ask what year your car is as I see different years take different versions of the same style.
Old 8/25/16, 08:07 AM

I have a 2014.
Old 12/18/21, 05:28 PM

Hey can I buy 2-3 off you?

Originally Posted by apial
I got 7 Pony stickers left, if someone needs one
hey I’d really like to buy 2-3 if you still have them. Thanks in advance ether way.
Old 1/30/22, 05:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Curious if anyone with TracKey has done this? I imagine it could be done with a red key but I don’t have the guts to risk losing the factory tune for the convenience
Old 1/31/22, 10:40 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,578 Posts
Originally Posted by apial
I got 7 Pony stickers left, if someone needs one
Originally Posted by Rockinfun77
hey I’d really like to buy 2-3 if you still have them. Thanks in advance ether way.
Wouldn't count on getting a response from Apial anytime soon.. His last activity on this forum was from over 4.5 years ago...LOL
Old 2/6/22, 08:50 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by cholmes1
Curious if anyone with TracKey has done this? I imagine it could be done with a red key but I don’t have the guts to risk losing the factory tune for the convenience
Not something I would want to risk either. I will stick with my factory and TracKey keys! Not sure the have the ability to put the tune back on if it gets wiped or access lost.
Old 6/21/22, 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I have this flip key. Have had it for a number of years now. It works just fine, and is in addition to my 2 factory keys. I doubt you will lose the track key function. All you are doing is adding a third key, not removing one.
The following users liked this post:
cholmes1 (6/21/22)
Old 1/12/23, 12:49 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Old thread I know, but anyone have any info where to get the logo/badge/sticker for the fob?
Looking for the black running pony logo.
Old 1/12/23, 02:02 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,845 Posts
@VGMStudios

?????

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1168303...search_click=1

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/12/23 at 02:05 PM.
Old 1/12/23, 02:10 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Thanks KC but Ive seen those & I don't like the look of them. The outline around the pony is awful.
Old 1/15/23, 12:51 AM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Since the one in that link is listed as 14mm, I searched google for "14mm mustang sticker" and found these examples.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802561480993.html
(looks like out-of-stock though)

Amazon Amazon
(technically just under 13mm).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291700519307

I tried some other searches on google and ebay for "key badge sticker" and "key fob logo"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265077728197

I can find almost any other except for Mustang.

I have the biohazard symbol on my replacement keys instead, I bought them years ago.

Last edited by VIP1; 1/15/23 at 01:15 AM.
Old 2/3/23, 05:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did anyone have a problem with the aftermarket flip fob key starting in the cold weather in the ignition? I was at a gas station and the weather was -18° Celsius. When I returned back to my car, the car wouldn't start and the light security flashed fast. Luckily, I had my OEM key with me, and the car started. This happen again with another different aftermarket key after I went for a walk in the cold weather on a different day. The car wouldn't start, and the OEM key did start. So I am wondering if the aftermarket key chip is weak in the cold weather. Did anyone have this issue? Yes, I did replace the battery, and it didn't make any difference. I am now having to carry two keys one aftermarket and one OEM with me just in case.

Also, did anyone try to take out the OEM chip and transfer it to the aftermarket flip fob key?
Old 2/3/23, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by scottwrightF1
Did anyone have a problem with the aftermarket flip fob key starting in the cold weather in the ignition? I was at a gas station and the weather was -18° Celsius. When I returned back to my car, the car wouldn't start and the light security flashed fast. Luckily, I had my OEM key with me, and the car started. This happen again with another different aftermarket key after I went for a walk in the cold weather on a different day. The car wouldn't start, and the OEM key did start. So I am wondering if the aftermarket key chip is weak in the cold weather. Did anyone have this issue? Yes, I did replace the battery, and it didn't make any difference. I am now having to carry two keys one aftermarket and one OEM with me just in case.

Also, did anyone try to take out the OEM chip and transfer it to the aftermarket flip fob key?
Here is a Link that May Help a Bit as Far What are Good Keys! I would Think if the Keys are in Your Pocket During Cold Spells They would Be Warm Enough. Try Carrying a Bic Lighter if you Need to Warm Up the Keys in a Pinch. See if it Works. Not a fan of Cheap Keys they Leave You Stranded! Also test if New Flip Key Works without a Stock Key Nearby at All if you Have Not.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...rocess-542327/

Hope It Helps!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 2/3/23 at 06:14 PM.
Old 2/3/23, 06:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Here is a Link that May Help a Bit as Far What are Good Keys! I would Think if the Keys are in Your Pocket During Cold Spells They would Be Warm Enough. Try Carrying a Bic Lighter if you Need to Warm Up the Keys in a Pinch. See if it Works. Not a fan of Cheap Keys they Leave You Stranded! Also test if New Flip Key Works without a Stock Key Nearby at All if you Have Not.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...rocess-542327/

Hope It Helps!

KC
Thanks for the quick reply and the link. I agree with you that the key should be warm enough in my pocket, but it did not. I also had the OEM key with me in my pocket and it was no problem starting.

I did try without the OEM key with me and the car wouldn't start with the aftermarket key.

I also did an experiment and left the aftermarket key outside in the cold weather for approx 5 mins and the car would not start. Took the aftermarket key back inside the house and put it on the heater vent for about 5 to 10 mins, then went back outside to the car...yep it started. I ordered two more new aftermarket keys and had the same problem.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of cheap keys and I don't like the dealer charging expensive keys to program. So I am wondering if the OEM chip key can be transferred to the aftermarket key?
Old 2/3/23, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by scottwrightF1
Thanks for the quick reply and the link. I agree with you that the key should be warm enough in my pocket, but it did not. I also had the OEM key with me in my pocket and it was no problem starting.

I did try without the OEM key with me and the car wouldn't start with the aftermarket key.

I also did an experiment and left the aftermarket key outside in the cold weather for approx 5 mins and the car would not start. Took the aftermarket key back inside the house and put it on the heater vent for about 5 to 10 mins, then went back outside to the car...yep it started. I ordered two more new aftermarket keys and had the same problem.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of cheap keys and I don't like the dealer charging expensive keys to program. So I am wondering if the OEM chip key can be transferred to the aftermarket key?
A Link to What You Are Purchasing and a Pic of Both Style Keys Would Be Helpful to Diagnose Further.

Try a Cold Key When it Won't Start Then Simply Hold Oem Key Next to Flip Key & Try To Start with Flip Key. If It Starts Than a Chip Implant Should Work. Matter of Finding Space & Digging Out Chip. This was Easy to Do on the Older Spade Type Keys. You Likely Have IKT Style. Might Be a Bit More Work.

On a Side Note I remember Back in the Day They Would add a Hokey Dokie Pro Key Device at the Dealership. Part of the Install was Taking Chip out of old Key & Gluing inside Column Shroud. So They Defeated the Factory Pats Key By Always Having a Chip in the Vehicle. Some of The FLEET Vehicles would do this as well So They Could Use a Standard old Style Key.

Also you are Aware once two Pats Keys are Programmed to a Vehicle you Can Add New Keys & Program Yourself??

KC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my new "Flip Key" set up tonight